Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Question Solar Panel For Travel Trailer

Took delivery of my new travel trailer a few days ago. As we are going to be camping in areas with no hookups, I want to get a solar panel to keep the battery charged.

Two current options available, and on sale at Canadian Tire:

1. a 100 watt panel that has a 5.5 amp output - comes with 30 amp charge controller

2. a 50 watt that has a 2.8 amp output - comes with 8 amp charge controller

Looking for input / opinions on what may be the best option.

Mr Conservation
Old 07-19-2019, 10:50 AM

I haven't purchased any myself, but have overly researched this issue and have come to the conclusion that if I'm going to do it, it has to be done right and not with the generic kits like Canadian Tire has etc. so that it is a good effective unit and with the proper controllers and batteries. And installed on the trailer so that I don't have to deal with setting it up and putting it away etc.
This is a case of you get what you pay for.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Have bought and permanently installed the 50w panel from CT on a work trailer. Keeps a couple 12v deep cycle batteries topped up, enough to run FM radio Espar heater for short periods, works very well. I would go with as much panel as you can fit/afford, more amperage / faster recharge. A good bank of batteries with a good quality converter for AC, should power most small stuff in trailer. Watch CT for the sales, those panels go for up to 70% off a few times a year.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:01 PM

Lots of options out there but between the two, go bigger.
typical FLA from dealer is 75-100amp/hr
say 75% efficiency you're looking at ~20hrs to do a full recharge.
if you only use ~25% of charge it should top up every day with 100w panel.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:57 PM

I have a 100 watt and mounted it on the roof, bought the mounting brackets on Amazon, the solar panel is a Noma from Canadian tire and they come on sale once in awhile for $199.00 which includes the controller, works perfect, have for a few years now.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I have a 100 watt and mounted it on the roof, bought the mounting brackets on Amazon, the solar panel is a Noma from Canadian tire and they come on sale once in awhile for $199.00 which includes the controller, works perfect, have for a few years now.
Same one was on sale today at Canadian Tire for $199.00 - 63 % off. It is now sitting in my garage, and ready for use on my trailer.

What kind of mounting brackets did you get, and how did you mount them to the roof ?

Mr Conservation