Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Poor farmers can't catch a break. Hard job.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Mother nature can be cruel. Hail damage south of Taber. Sad to see. The geese will eat good.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 AM

That hurts. How big of an area was wiped out?

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
That hurts. How big of an area was wiped out?
I think the major crop damage started west of Vulcan (though I haven't been out there yet) and it heads south east to the Taber area. I did drive past Champion last night and the hail must have cut a 1.5mi wide swath west of there. Pretty ugly.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:35 PM

Wow. That is really impressive for all the wrong reasons.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:40 PM

Poor farmers. Just brutal.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:13 PM

Lots of farmers around here love seeing hail. Pray for hail they say. Ain't no poor grain farmers in this area.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:04 PM

There are spots around Taber that are 4 miles wide. I know 2 farmers wiped out. 100%

Old 08-09-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
There are spots around Taber that are 4 miles wide. I know 2 farmers wiped out. 100%

Someone on twitter posted a recent satellite picture highlighting the hail swath. From the looks of that picture, I was definitely off with 1.5mi+ wide....

https://twitter.com/ABfoothillsWX/st...307648/photo/2

Old 08-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Lots of farmers around here love seeing hail. Pray for hail they say. Ain't no poor grain farmers in this area.
That would surprise me; no one wins when dealing with insurance.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Some big money irrigation crops are 100% right off. Potatoes, onions and sugar beets. The sugar beet leaves were up to the pipes.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:07 PM

The super cell storm was about 10 miles wide with damage of about 100% every where . I am a member of the Barnwell grazing lease and the storm mowed the grass down to nothing we have maybe 3 weeks of grazing if were lucky then the cows come home normal take out date is October 15 . I have neighbours who lost all there grain crop almost all of there dry bean and maybe 75%of there seed canola. And hail insurance is never as good as a above average crop which we had here under irrigation .
Old 08-10-2019, 04:51 PM

I’ve never run my pivots so much as this year
Old 08-10-2019, 11:01 PM

wasnt part of that storm to the south but we got hit by the great white combine last week. made a real mess of the corn crop so we are hurrying to make silage out of whatever is left of the peas and oats to make up for the lost corn. lucky for us it appears the hail only cut a mile wide swath so a lot of crop was missed.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 08-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Crops here look good from the road but Some have gone down already.

Too much rain. We are up to about eight inches for the season which is a lot for this ground.

Lots of acres of crop in standing water and here it takes forever to soak in so I expect a lot of the good looking crops won't look so good in a couple of weeks.

I've been told that some farms around Peace River recorded over 16 inches of rain so far this summer.

I've been helping my BIL just north of Peace River. We were supposed to start haying last week but can't even drive in most of the fields, and he's had lass rain then neighbors a few miles south of him.

One day last week the ditches a couple of miles south of BIL were full to the edge of the gravel while in his yard there was dust flying. He's had rain since but nothing that day.

Saw the same thing at Manning. Ditches running full at Grimm's while the streets in town were dry. Grimm's is only two miles north of town.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-26-2019, 06:55 AM

Exclamation Leduc County agricultural disaster declared

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...7-3b9993687e1a
By Dylan Short, September 25, 2019
Quote:
Leduc County council has declared a local state of agricultural disaster over excessive moisture and poor weather conditions affecting farmers in the area.

The declaration was made at a council meeting Tuesday following a growing season that saw rainfall almost every day. The declaration is meant to bring awareness to different levels of government as well as residents as a way of encouraging collaboration to assist producers in the area.

“Leduc County council recognizes the issues that our local producers are facing and the impact that these adverse conditions are having on their livelihoods. By making this declaration, we want to draw attention to this issue and encourage other levels of government to provide support where possible,” said Mayor Tanni Doblanko in a Wednesday news release.

Poor summer weather has affected the quality and quantity of hay Leduc-area farmers have been able to produce, said the county. Wet fields are also causing a delayed harvest of annual crops.

“Declaring an agricultural state of disaster is one way of showing our producers that we hear them, we are paying attention, and we will continue to advocate for our agricultural community,” said Garett Broadbent, director of agricultural services for the county.

Lac Ste. Anne County, west of Edmonton, declared a state of agriculture emergency earlier this summer over similarly wet weather.

Leduc County is approximately 30 kilometres south of Edmonton.
Hopefully some areas of Alberta managed to generate a good hay crop, or this is going to be a tough winter all around.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Gone Hunting

I saw a load of bails heading north the other day, Nice looking hay too.
Driver siad it came from around Fairview.

Some hay put up around here in the past week, which is way late for here. We almost never get a second cut.

I've been running a grain cart for a neighber, hauling from combines to trucks parked on gravel roads. Not a hope of getting a semi into any of the fields around here. It's tough getting around the fields with the Chalanger I'm running and a 900 bushel grain cart.

Many fields look more like rice paddies then wheat fields. But we are getting it off thanks to oversized tires and rear wheal assist on the combines, and grain carts with tracked power units.

Sure makes a mess of the fields though. It's gonna be hell come spring.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-27-2019, 08:45 AM

Default crops

Keg, good to hear crops coming off in Peace Country even if need to use grain carts. Most hay in Central Alberta has had many rains and very brown. Ag person commented need to do protien analysis on late hay cuts as some may not be much better than good straw.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:21 AM

This is what's holding us up now....daily showers. It was only about 30 min. after this one passed us by that the next one shut us down.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
This is what's holding us up now....daily showers. It was only about 30 min. after this one passed us by that the next one shut us down.

Rain shut us down Wednesday night around midnight. No one here has turned a wheel since.

The rain stopped Thursday afternoon but it so cold nothing is drying.

We only have about 200 acres of wheat to do and all the Canola and peas.
Farmer isn't sure we can even get the peas, they are flat and with all the mud they just plug up the combines ever few hundred feet.

Was talking to another farmer, he said he had to go slow because there is so much water it floods his header if he goes too fast.

I've seen a couple of feilds that are over fifty percent under water.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-28-2019, 01:45 AM

My heart goes out to the brave dirt warriors we call Farmers.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-28-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
That would surprise me; no one wins when dealing with insurance.
There is different premiums you can insure your crop for to get different coverages. Pay big bucks more you get back pay less for cheaper coverage, just waiting for the outcome is the big problem.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:51 AM

The guy that rents our land ended up wrapping the hay or it would still be sitting there.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:12 AM

I know several guys here in southern Alberta saying they will hold out buying some hay for winter here and go north and buy the cheap hay that is there every year. How big of an area are we talking that’s under water and hay isn’t done?
Can they throw that theory out the window for this year?
Range cow hay selling for 200$+ here
Old 09-28-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
I know several guys here in southern Alberta saying they will hold out buying some hay for winter here and go north and buy the cheap hay that is there every year. How big of an area are we talking that’s under water and hay isn’t done?
Lots of the hay here (hour west of Edmonton) had at least a little rain. I managed to get enough put up in good shape for the horses. The rest - all at least a shower and some was mature (cut 10th of Sept) with second growth coming up. All but 8 bales will be fine feed for cows. Those 8 bales will be bedding. As far as pricing goes I'm seeing anywhere from $50 - $130/bale
Old 09-29-2019, 08:46 AM

Our neighbor west of Innisfail never got a second cut of hay. Today it is covered in snow.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:01 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
As near as I know, most of the Province north of Westlock is going to be hurting for hay this year. Most of the north is either far too wet or far too dry.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-30-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
There may not be that much available in some parts of the peace, lots of people are still trying to make hay and many people don’t have enough feed yet. The quality isn’t that great this year either, lots of hay rained on, or put up way too late. The best hay I have is the few bales left over from last year.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:45 AM

Exclamation County of St. Paul declares agricultural disaster

The hits just keep coming.
https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...a-584f677974c6
By Dylan Short, November 28, 2019

Quote:
Unharvested fields and poor crop quality have caused the County of St. Paul to declare an agricultural disaster.

The county made the declaration as 35 per cent of all crops in the region remain unharvested. County Reeve Steve Upham said recent snowfall has made it unlikely any more crops will be harvested in the area.

“Many of us had really felt that over the course of November we’d maybe get a two-week window of really nice weather that would give us the opportunity to get some combining done. November’s past and really not much has changed,” said Upham.

Producers will also have to spend time and money running equipment to dry grain after several tough years of wet, cool weather has affected the quality of annual crops in the area, a news release said Wednesday.

This is the second time in three years the county has declared an agricultural disaster. A similar declaration was made in 2016 after 25 per cent of crops in the county went unharvested.

“As an industry I think we better hope things normalize,” said Upham.

Upham said he believes a number of counties throughout central and northern Alberta are in similar situations. Latest numbers from Alberta Agriculture show 89.1 per cent of all annual crops across Alberta had been combined as of Nov. 12.

The county is now asking residents to be careful when driving in open fields as recreational vehicles can cause damage to unharvested acres.

The County of St. Paul is approximately 200 km northeast of Edmonton.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell