Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Default Looking for a new fly rod, any suggestions

I'm looking to spend about 400-600 on a new rod, I understand its a personal preference type area but was just looking for some personal experiences from people and what they like, I've been leaning towards the orvis access rod but i am defiantly not set on anything yet. 9 foot 4 piece 5WT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM

A couple of buddies are fishing and really like the Helios. Access is a step down, but not sure what the difference is. The tip-flex rods should be faster than the mid-flex if you like a stiff rod. Have you taken one out for some casting yet?
I've been fishing a TFO BVK for a couple of summers and really like it. Nice to have the supplier in Calgary.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 PM

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...pleforkBVK.asp
For what it's worth.

I would try to get the rods your interested in, into your hands and cast with them. I very much prefer fast action, others like a slower action. You won't know till you try. I have heard a lot of people say how happy they are with their BVK, I built my own on HMX blanks, love the 6 wt, find the 4wt action a little slow.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
A couple of buddies are fishing and really like the Helios. Access is a step down, but not sure what the difference is. The tip-flex rods should be faster than the mid-flex if you like a stiff rod. Have you taken one out for some casting yet?
I've been fishing a TFO BVK for a couple of summers and really like it. Nice to have the supplier in Calgary.
I haven't tried any out yet, I'm just trying to narrow my search down a little, there are so many to choose from. I've have heard a lot of good things from TFO rods as well.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 PM

That's a fairly expensive budget and you will get a very nice rod for that amount. I would recommend you go to a fly shop that offers personalized service and talk to them about the kind of fishing you do and your casting experience and they will make suggestions and let you cast a few and go from there. I know a guy who has one of the best rods on the market ($1000+) and he casts horribly and he could do just as well with a fifty dollar rod. I would say stop in a fish tales on the south end but there are other shops that would help you out as well. I'm familiar with fish tales is all. I would avoid the box stores unless you already know exactly what you want. Best of luck. Rick.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM

TFO's are solid rods, Redington, Pieroways awesome as well... Have had them All, close in price, close in quality... But i love my TFO 4 piece 6wt lefty! Great rod. What ever route you go, i recomend four piece. I find they last alot longer!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 PM

I would head down to the fishing hole and talk to the guys there. With a few simple questions answered they can point you in the right direction and have a wealth of knowledge on the subject.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm defiantly in no rush so ill do some research and check out some of the shops mentioned. I've only used mid- fast rods so trying out some other flexes would be something I should really look into. I've only had lower end rods which I've actually been happy with for the most part but I'm just thinking getting something a little higher end will just make my fly fishing just a little more enjoyable than it already is, if that's even possible.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Go to a dedicated Fly Shop tell them what you are looking for and how much you want to spend and cast a bunch of rods - which has already been said. I'll add that you wear a blindfold when you cast them (LoL)!! Your budget allows for a lot of choices (maybe too many). More importantly is to consider a quality reel that balances the rod!! As an example, When I went to cast the BVK at the ff expo in the spring it felt "tip heavy" with my Bauer reel! That particular rod requires a heavier reel!! When I cast my Winston Boron IIIx (and previously my Redington CPX) with it, it's nicely balanced (the caveat being that a Winston and TFO ( or Redington or Peiroway) aren't even in the same universe, I realize, but I was just trying as many rods as I could)!! But what's good for one person, may not be good for another!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 10-12-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
I'm looking to spend about 400-600 on a new rod, I understand its a personal preference type area but was just looking for some personal experiences from people and what they like, I've been leaning towards the orvis access rod but i am defiantly not set on anything yet. 9 foot 4 piece 5WT. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have 4 rods. I have two 6wt tip flex, a 5wt midflex and a 4wt tip flex.

The Orvis Access 6wt is, by far, my favorite Bow River rod.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Check out the yellowstone angler website. Every year they do a 5 wt shootout, and rate the top 20 rods. This is only for 5 wts mind you, but it will give you a very good idea of what companies, and models to look at. Personally, I like the sage rods, in fact all of my rods are sage rods except one which I built on a blank that I got on the internet (not sure who made the blank). But, like others have said, get yourself down to a fly shop and cast a few to determine which one fits your style of casting. Wish I had 600 bucks burnin a hole in my pocket to spend on a new rod!!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Echo makes great rods.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
I've only had lower end rods which I've actually been happy with for the most part but I'm just thinking getting something a little higher end will just make my fly fishing just a little more enjoyable than it already is, if that's even possible.
I don't want to hurt any feeling but you are not going to catch more fish, or fishing is going to be better just cause you are holding a $500 dollar rod. You are better spending a little less on a rod and take guided fishing trip in the waters that you regularly fish so you can get a better understanding of the flies, entomology, and maybe a casting lesson, not saying that your bad but there is always room for improvement.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 AM

I want to second the recommendation for Echo. At around $350 the Echo 3 is a fantastic rod. I have rods by many of the other "top" brands and find myself reaching most often for my growing collection of Echos. If you want any more info about them feel free to send me a PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I don't want to hurt any feeling but you are not going to catch more fish, or fishing is going to be better just cause you are holding a $500 dollar rod. You are better spending a little less on a rod and take guided fishing trip in the waters that you regularly fish so you can get a better understanding of the flies, entomology, and maybe a casting lesson, not saying that your bad but there is always room for improvement.
No feelings hurt at all, that was really just a number I threw out there. I really just wanted to narrow down the search because there are so many rods out there. Wanted to see what people like and what people are using, that's about it. I'm well aware that a 500 dollar rod doesn't catch fish.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:45 AM

The best rod iv cAsted is a z axis and it felt a lot better then the sage one. I dot own either of them but there really nice Rods.
A high performance rod will help you catch more then a Walmart one.
It lets you cast more accurately, lighter and you can cast farther if you really need too.(fast action) not to mention the warranty you have if you break it.
I got a redington,tfo,peiroway, SA, marten,Okuma and a cortland rod and the best casting rod was the tfo. None of the rods are over $200.00 and I do fine with them.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:54 AM

Default New Rod

X2 on the Z AXIS. Best Sage series IMO. I cast a 490 and a 7136.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I'm going to disagree with this a little, a good rod, not saying it has to be expensive, can make or break a day. On days the fishing is not that great the simple act of casting can bring much satisfaction. There is something hypnotic about the act of casting and having a rod that lets you do your best is worth the extra expense to me, the extra being relative of course. A 700.00 dollar rod is well out of my price range, and I'm very happy with the rod I built. If someone offered me to try their expensive rod to try, I would be very torn, might make me lust after something that I can't have. So I guess the lesson might be, don't try something out of your price range.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM

http://www.jprossflyrods.com/

check em out, you will like
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM

I have a zaxis in a 10' 9weight, and a z axis in a 11' switch. Pretty great rods, that you can find in your price range easily. But my personal favorite has to be my 9' 4wt winston boron IIMX. That one is a little bit above the 600 dollars. But it is by far the best rod i've casted also have a 12'6 7/8 boron IIX spey. I cant say enough about these rods. Winston makes good quality stuff. (i also have a loomis gl3, loomis eastfork, sage vt2) I have a bunch of rods in the price range you're looking at. I would go towards winston in that price range before anyone else. If you're budgeting 4-600 dollars dont go near tfo, redington, etc... they just dont make rods for the value that you're looking to spend.

Sage makes nice stuff, but until you get to the their rods at the top of the line, you're really just paying for the name.

Another company to check out would be loop. Their old rods like the AEG where slick. But i know they've gone overseas now, so i havnt held a rod from their new production location.

Regardless, try and get down to the boys at fishtales, they are a ton of help and know what theyre talking about.

My 2cents.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Sage ZXL is a premium rod, same quality as the Z. They are being cleared out for 20-35% depnding which shop you hit up. I suggest Fish Tales.
I own Zs, Ones, TXLs, VXPs, XPs, RPLs....ect ect. and I would think the ZXLs are probably the nicest all around rods made by Sage. I use Zs and Ones more but if you want an all around rod that will chuck streamers, indicators and drys, ZXL.

But don't get brand drunk go, feel rods, and cast them on the grass before buying.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Thumbs up Fly rod

The Access is a great rod for the money. It is best to try the rod before buying and make sure you bring your reel so you can feel the rod without an altered balance point.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM

i have a St Croix 5wt 4 pc and couldn't be happier with it. 2nd one i've owned (first got stolen out of car) and have had this one for about 10yrs now. in my opinion St Croix makes great rods and their warranty and service is second to none. and they are not that expensive. use it every where and it is a great all around rod in my opinion.

also remember that the rod is only one part of the outfit, the fly line makes a huge difference in how the rod casts. don't scrimp out on the fly line and spend some extra money on good line, it is well worth it.

rgds
Mike
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM

A lot of good fly shops in the south end of the city, not too far from each other (fish tales, country pleasures, west winds, and the new one in Heritage Pointe). Spend an afternoon visiting and practice casting in the parking lots. Your budget is high enough that you're going to get a quality rod. It's just which one you can cast the best with, and no one can help you with that.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 PM

I have a Redington Predator. 9 ft, 4 pc, 8 wt and it casts like a dream. I have caught 7" rainbow on it and been able to feel them tugging. I paired it with a Redington Rise Reel. Rod and Reel set would run about $500ish. Great setup. Redington is owned by Sage so they are good rods and not as expensive as the Sage. Maybe check them out.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:39 PM

If you're in no rush then wait until January and go check out the Western Canadian Fly Expo. All the companies will be there and you'll be able to test cast a bunch of rods.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM

I'm currently saving for an Orvis Access in a 9' 6wt 4 pc. tip flex. Heard good things about it and way less money than the top of the line Helios. Have heard that it casts as well as the Helios. I currently have two TFO rods that work well for me but I just want to try something different that might be more powerful in windy conditions.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.boats View Post
I'm currently saving for an Orvis Access in a 9' 6wt 4 pc. tip flex. Heard good things about it and way less money than the top of the line Helios. Have heard that it casts as well as the Helios. I currently have two TFO rods that work well for me but I just want to try something different that might be more powerful in windy conditions.
That's actually what I ended up getting, I tried plenty of rods but the access really worked for way I cast, I found some rods really nice but I just couldn't cast them as good as the access, I got the mid-flex and its a little slower than some of the other mid flexes I tried but it just seemed to work well for me. I got the 5 weight 4pc. 9ft. I've been out twice since I got it and I couldn't be happier. Every place I went offered fantastic and helpful service as well, it was a really fun experience and I spent less than my budget and got a rod I'm very happy with.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Great to hear!

Tight lines!

P