Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

Default Pheasant Raise and Release Project

Put this in General because I wanted more then just hunters to see it.
The Alberta Conservation Association & the 4H club has a great ongoing project.
Bassicaly, the ACA provides day old pheasant chicks to 4h club members (ussually young adults), and they raise them till maturity. It's a lot of work building the pens and caring for the young pheasants. In the fall the ACA buys the adult hens back for 10.00 each to be released all over AB. Pheasant hen's are unhuntable, so each hen has the potential to become 8-12 pheasants.
Please sponser a hen or 2 if you are able to. I think it would be great if pheasants could become more established, esp. here in central and northern AB.
Check out their website, or maybe a member could post the link here on this thread. I would do it, but, you know. I think I will sponser at least three and name them after some of my favourite AO members. lol
Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Bassicaly, the ACA provides day old pheasant chicks to 4h club members (ussually young adults), and they raise them till maturity. It's a lot of work building the pens and caring for the young pheasants. In the fall the ACA buys the adult hens back for 10.00 each to be released all over AB. Pheasant hen's are unhuntable, so each hen has the potential to become 8-12 pheasants.
Please sponser a hen or 2 if you are able to. I think it would be great if pheasants could become more established, esp. here in central and northern AB.
Check out their website, or maybe a member could post the link here on this thread. I would do it, but, you know. I think I will sponser at least three and name them after some of my favourite AO members. lol

ln order for pheasants to become more established here , the coyote and fox population has to come down , otherwise your just feeding thease guys , also some winters do a number on them , l think your wasting your time and money
Pheasants thrived back in the 60tys , around stavely and east of nanton we used to flush pheasants out of old abanded farmyards ,some as many as 80 birds at a time , it was awesome.
Then the coyotes and foxes , did their thing , and a really bad winter sub zero temps and heavy snowfall finished them off , they would crawl into the snowdrifts for warmth , then the snowbank would collapse on top of them , now your lucky to see one bird in the area , good luck.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
ln order for pheasants to become more established here , the coyote and fox population has to come down , otherwise your just feeding thease guys , also some winters do a number on them , l think your wasting your time and money
Pheasants thrived back in the 60tys , around stavely and east of nanton we used to flush pheasants out of old abanded farmyards ,some as many as 80 birds at a time , it was awesome.
Then the coyotes and foxes , did their thing , and a really bad winter sub zero temps and heavy snowfall finished them off , they would crawl into the snowdrifts for warmth , then the snowbank would collapse on top of them , now your lucky to see one bird in the area , good luck.
So I guess trying is useless. Give up because it's a waste of time and money!

I for one will sponsor 1/2 dozen birds. I enjoy ACA properties and chasing roosters with my dog. Pretty cheap entertainment for me!

BW
Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
l think your wasting your time and money
So... You shot 80 birds at a time?
Then blame the decline on falling snowbanks and wildlife? Lots of coyotes around here, still lots of rabbits running around - rabbits should be wiped out by your logic.

Imagine if I went fishing at a lake every day and took 80 fish? Wouldn't last very long. I have to laugh when people talk about the old days being so great.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Post a link sounds like a great program.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Then blame the decline on falling snowbanks and wildlife? Lots of coyotes around here, still lots of rabbits running around - rabbits should be wiped out by your logic.

Imagine if I went fishing at a lake every day and took 80 fish? Wouldn't last very long. I have to laugh when people talk about the old days being so great.
Just because they flushed 80 birds, doesn't mean that they shot 80 birds.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just because they flushed 80 birds, doesn't mean that they shot 80 birds.
You're fooling yourself.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
You're fooling yourself.
How many shots do you suppose that it would take to shoot 80 birds on a single flush? How many shots do you suppose their guns held, and how many shots do you suppose they would get before the birds flew out of range?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How many shots do you suppose that it would take to shoot 80 birds on a single flush? How many shots do you suppose their guns held, and how many shots do you suppose they would get before the birds flew out of range?
Shall we search the forum for your posts on pheasant release sites?

Get over yourself. I've been in the good old days, myself and a few friends near fished out lakes. I remember the good old days. Why do you think there are so many bag limits?
Old 06-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
The reasons pheasants were more plentiful was that they thrived with the habitat that was created on unlined irrigation ditches. It has nothing to do with foxes or coyotes. Once the ditches were lined, the willows and other riparian vegetation disappeared.

They are an introduced species anyways, and the only reason they are being supplemented by the ACA is because there are still some hunters who ask for it. From my perspective, I wished the money spent on them was used on indigenous species, and if the pheasants survive, so be it. If they don't, so be it also.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
The reasons pheasants were more plentiful was that they thrived with the habitat that was created on unlined irrigation ditches. It has nothing to do with foxes or coyotes. Once the ditches were lined, the willows and other riparian vegetation disappeared.

They are an introduced species anyways, and the only reason they are being supplemented by the ACA is because there are still some hunters who ask for it. From my perspective, I wished the money spent on them was used on indigenous species, and if the pheasants survive, so be it. If they don't, so be it also.
Finally, some reality.

And If there were no bag limits, there would be very little wildlife left to hunt. Why is that? Because humans are excessive and greedy.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Get over yourself. I've been in the good old days, myself and a few friends near fished out lakes. I remember the good old days. Why do you think there are so many bag limits?
Yes there are bag limits, and myself and most other people follow those bag limits. Myself and my hunting partners never took 80 pheasants between us over the entire 2016 season. And I believe that those bag limits existed back in the 60s, although they were likely more generous to reflect the populations back then.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Banned

Yeh, it's tough for the pheasants to overwinter, but I can say with 100% certanty that at least 3 have overwintered near Plain Lake. My relatives tell me the number could be around 20 in a 5 square kms area of Plain Lake, and some have been sighted further then that.
They are raising the hens anyways, and I would like to at least give them a chance to establish themselves in central AB. If we continue to have milder winters (fingers xed), who knows? They used to be around back in the 60's and 70's, but Iv'e since learned that they used to release them back then also.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:14 PM

It never hurts to try. Ringneck Pheasants are extremely beautiful birds, and just to see them is a treat.

Alta270 is correct in that habitat change was the precursor to declines.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeh, it's tough for the pheasants to overwinter, but I can say with 100% certanty that at least 3 have overwintered near Plain Lake. My relatives tell me the number could be around 20 in a 5 square kms area of Plain Lake, and some have been sighted further then that.
They are raising the hens anyways, and I would like to at least give them a chance to establish themselves in central AB. If we continue to have milder winters (fingers xed), who knows? They used to be around back in the 60's and 70's, but Iv'e since learned that they used to release them back then also.
If nothing else, the education value is priceless.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:

I remember the good old days also. This year however looks like it is going to be the best year in a looong time for ducks and geese. I also think deer and moose will be good , esp in areas where crops were left standing all winter. Mild winter and good feed. Think I'll do most of my hunting in AB this season.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:26 PM

I remember the good ole days. Pheasants survived because there was lots of random cover. Now the only cover is straight line cover like along fence lines.
Random cover gave the birds a chance and straight line favored predators.

I recall they used to thrive in a large area west of Nanton. Now the only pheasants you see there are roosters left over from pheasant shooting competitions.

The birds don't handle our climate well. I agree with alta270 that it is time to spend money on birds that are native and can handle the climate.

I remember very large flushes off abandoned farms but I never remember getting many birds under those large flush situations.

BTW I don't think incubators teach young pheasants nothing, and most pen pheasants released into the wild only feed predators.

Pheasant shooting is fun and that is the only reason I see that is practical for paying for released birds.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Show me where l said l shot 80 birds at a time
better read again bud
Old 06-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

NO , back then the govt brought over 600 Frenchmen and set up a pheasant shoot in the lethbridge area and nanton area , they released 2000 pheasants for thease visiting Frenchmen to hunt , when the left , l,m talking about the pheasants that were left over , they were everywhere , they were killed off by coyotes and foxes , and a hard winter , also , are some of you guys just plain stupid or what , l said FLUSH not SHOT , BIG DIFF , DUH

The bag limit back then was 8 cock birds

ONCE AGAIN , now listen , l said FLUSH not SHOT , OKAY , THE RELEASED BIRDS LASTED 2 YEARS , they didn't survive because of any kind of good envirement , opposite , they were killed off by coyotes and cold heavy snowfall winters .
Sure this is a new generation , history repeats every hundred years , TRY IT , but the same thing will happen again .
Thease birds belong in CHINA ,where they come from

Last edited by bigskinner; 06-24-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:08 PM

I recall a conversation a couple of years ago with an ACA bio developing this program.

Not long ago the province had a similar program where the kids raising the pheasants were obligated to release them on their property. In order to receive chicks the kids had to show that they had the facilities to raise the birds and the land to release them on.

I raised pheasants for several years under this program. Before I started there was rarely a wild bird in the adjacent couple of miles. After a few years, there were birds all over, certainly fruit from this farm kid's stocking.

The existence of the pheasants opened some eyes and neighbours became good stewards for the birds to thrive. It was a win all around. Kids learned and become lifelong wildlife and habitat proponents, received a reward of having their hard efforts returned in seeing the birds and even having a chance to hunt them at home. Locals got to eat some and likewise made better choices for wildlife when alterations in habitat were considered. This cost very little to the government in only having to hatch the chicks and not deal with re-purchase and stocking costs.

I questioned why the new model is exclusive to the purchase of these birds from the people that raised them, why not allow people to release the pheasants on their own property and forgo the money spent and received.

Without having to eliminate the current model, I sure hope ACA decides to expand the program to include a grow and release program for these kids.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-24-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Bingo, good cover you will never eliminate pheasants, poor cover they fight to hang on. It is simplistic but very true. As for indigenous species, what do you suggest to help chickens?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Bingo, good cover you will never eliminate pheasants, poor cover they fight to hang on. It is simplistic but very true. As for indigenous species, what do you suggest to help chickens?
They are on a 7-10 year cycle, and seem to do quite well. (I assume you are talking about ruffed grouse).

Here is an article on it.

http://www.naturenorth.com/winter/grouse/rgrouse2.html

Love eating the little buggers for sure.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I recall a conversation a couple of years ago with an ACA bio developing this program.

Not long ago the province had a similar program where the kids raising the pheasants were obligated to release them on their property. In order to receive chicks the kids had to show that they had the facilities to raise the birds and the land to release them on.

I raised pheasants for several years under this program. Before I started there was rarely a wild bird in the adjacent couple of miles. After a few years, there were birds all over, certainly fruit from this farm kid's stocking.

The existence of the pheasants opened some eyes and neighbours became good stewards for the birds to thrive. It was a win all around. Kids learned and become lifelong wildlife and habitat proponents, received a reward of having their hard efforts returned in seeing the birds and even having a chance to hunt them at home. Locals got to eat some and likewise made better choices for wildlife when alterations in habitat were considered. This cost very little to the government in only having to hatch the chicks and not deal with re-purchase and stocking costs.

I questioned why the new model is exclusive to the purchase of these birds from the people that raised them, why not allow people to release the pheasants on their own property and forgo the money spent and received.

Without having to eliminate the current model, I sure hope ACA decides to expand the program to include a grow and release program for these kids.
If someone could post a link, I think that the kids are allowed to release them around their own farm. Not sure how that would work, because they are all hen pheasants. I suppose they bring in some cocks.
Also I am not sure if the kids get paid the ten dollars each if they release them at home.
Anyways, I'm willing to sponser 3 or 4 this year. Better then not trying at all, and believe me, Iv'e spent money on lots of dumber things then this.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
NO , back then the govt brought over 600 Frenchmen and set up a pheasant shoot in the lethbridge area and nanton area , they released 2000 pheasants for thease visiting Frenchmen to hunt , when the left , l,m talking about the pheasants that were left over , they were everywhere , they were killed off by coyotes and foxes , and a hard winter , also , are some of you guys just plain stupid or what , l said FLUSH not SHOT , BIG DIFF , DUH

The bag limit back then was 8 cock birds

ONCE AGAIN , now listen , l said FLUSH not SHOT , OKAY , THE RELEASED BIRDS LASTED 2 YEARS , they didn't survive because of any kind of good envirement , opposite , they were killed off by coyotes and cold heavy snowfall winters .
Sure this is a new generation , history repeats every hundred years , TRY IT , but the same thing will happen again .
Thease birds belong in CHINA ,where they come from
I never remembered an 8 bird limit. I started hunting pheasant in 1963. The limit was 3. A few years after that the season would start with a 3 bird limit but go to 5 late in the season. Sometime around 69 or 70 a one hen limit was allowed. Pheasants were plentiful but often the harvested hens were abandoned after the 3rd rooster was shot. Shortly after the seasons where many hens were wasted we had a couple really severe winters and pheasant hunting has never been the same.

I remember hunting the Brooks Millicent area in the late 70s and we harvested a lot of black colored birds. I remember being checked by a wildlife officer and asked about the blacks. He told me that the blacks were easy to breed and release and were good flyers but suggested that most were sterile and would not reproduce in the wild. If that was true it may be when they decided just to release and never did have hopes of repopulating the wild.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:

I didn't read every ones reply .....just wanted to say, you know nothing about Pheasants in AB. re: habitat
Old 06-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Post a link sounds like a great program.
Quote:
If someone could post a link, I think that the kids are allowed to release them around their own farm. Not sure how that would work, because they are all hen pheasants. I suppose they bring in some cocks.
Also I am not sure if the kids get paid the ten dollars each if they release them at home.
Anyways, I'm willing to sponser 3 or 4 this year. Better then not trying at all, and believe me, Iv'e spent money on lots of dumber things then this.

ACA & 4-H Pheasant Raise and Release Project
ACA is partnering once again with 4-H Alberta to inspire future generations to learn to do by doing—and enhance Alberta’s pheasant population along the way. The project runs from mid-May to the end of August when the adult pheasants are released into the wild.
How does the project work?
* ACA provides day-old chicks to participating 4-H project members.
* The members build a pen, and keep the birds fed and safe for 14 weeks. Like any other 4-H project, this one requires a lot of time, effort, and of course, record-keeping!
* The 4-H project members release their hens into suitable habitat. If the youth have quality habitat on their own property, the hens may even be released there.
* Pheasant hens are not huntable, so each bird raised and released can potentially become 8-12 pheasants next year!
* Each project member receives $10 per hen for their efforts (you can get involved by sponsoring a hen or ten below).
* The project teaches kids about wildlife, habitat needs, and the business of agriculture.
Sponsor a hen (or ten)! $10 is all it takes!
You'll make a difference not only for 4-H pheasant project members, but also for our future pheasant populations.
Want to sponsor a participant or become a corporate sponsor in the ACA & 4-H Pheasant Raise & Release Project? Please email Layne Seward at layne.seward@ab-conservation.com.
If you would prefer to donate dollars directly to a 4-H Alberta club, please contact the 4-H Foundation of Alberta, attention Jessica Reeves at reeves@4hab.com or call toll free 1-877-682-2153

The link
http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...e-and-release/
Old 06-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
I didn't read every ones reply .....just wanted to say, you know nothing about Pheasants in AB. re: habitat
You may be right! I know an area near Mossleigh Alberta that used to be a pheasant hunter's paradise. Pheasants went missing in early 70s. For years after 4H kids raised and released but there is still no pheasants. One farmer told me that the hawks and coyotes ate well. I am frequently in that area and it still look good. Must be something that the farmers have done since the 70s.

Huns are doing well
Old 06-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I do not know how it would be done but I would like to see something done for sharpe tailed grouse.

These are great birds to hunt but I think the limit is too generous.

If 3 hunters go where there are plenty and each shoot their limit that is too much. If that happens a couple times during the season they may be in danger of surviving over winter. I think the danger comes from the covey becoming too small. I think there is more heat generated by huddled birds if covey is larger, not to mention more eyes for predators.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I do not know how it would be done but I would like to see something done for sharpe tailed grouse.

These are great birds to hunt but I think the limit is too generous.

If 3 hunters go where there are plenty and each shoot their limit that is too much. If that happens a couple times during the season they may be in danger of surviving over winter. I think the danger comes from the covey becoming too small. I think there is more heat generated by huddled birds if covey is larger, not to mention more eyes for predators.
I don't even bother hunting them, but then my hips can only take 4 or 5 miles. Pheasant's are far more accommodating.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-24-2017, 05:28 PM

The sharpe tailed grouse is a very smart bird. About ten years ago we had a rough winter with lots of snow. All of a sudden there were sharpies all over Medicine Hat city. I had them eating under my bird feeder, My crab apple tree, and my Son had 21 on his garage roof eating seed pods on a weeping birch tree.
It was awesome to see. Once the snow settled down the grouse left the city.
Beautiful.