Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Default Dump bins vs dump runs. Advice for renovations

I am planning a renovation in my house I recently purchased and thought I would reach out to the a.o. community to get advice. We are going to do a lot of demotion and I am trying to figure out what the best and most economical way to dispose of construction waste. Either the metal bins or just piling up until we have a full load. I'm sure someone here has done this before and might have some advice for me.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post
I am planning a renovation in my house I recently purchased and thought I would reach out to the a.o. community to get advice. We are going to do a lot of demotion and I am trying to figure out what the best and most economical way to dispose of construction waste. Either the metal bins or just piling up until we have a full load. I'm sure someone here has done this before and might have some advice for me.

Thanks
I know that if you are going to fill bins up every day or every few days, the bin is the way to go.

I've done some work (over a period of time) and typically I pilled it up in the garage or on the side of the house until I got close to a bin then loaded it up and sent it off so the bin wouldn't sit with the meter running.

It's been a few years for me - so take what I know for what it is - the guys that are contractors can chime in - they do this stuff everyday and would carry more weight with their perspective. (and probably know the best deals around for bins and hauling).
Old 06-23-2017, 06:33 PM

In my experience, they charge you to deliver the bin, rental while its sitting, then a pick up charge and the dump fees. Gets expensive in a hurry so I built my own trailer for my construction debris.

Griz
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 PM

I've made 5 dump runs today in Red Deer. They go by weight so its $71 per tonne. I dumped an entire bathroom/bathtub/vanity and all hardwood on the the main floor including stairs and stair railways, kitchen countertop. Excluding time (loading/unloading) and gas i am at less than 70 dollars total. Other than paving stones, most construction material is not heavy. it might be bulky but its not heavy. I filled up my shortbox truck with hardwood floor and cork, and the total was 18 dollars the first trip. I haven't checked prices for boxes but i have assumed that it would not be less that 500 for a small bin all in. Just my experience
Old 06-23-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin View Post

Thanks
I've used bins in the past and they only charged a delivery fee and pick up fee. No rental or sitting time charge.
Another option is to store all your junk somewhere till you're done and then go on kijiji and call someone there with a truck to pick it up and haul it away. Thats worked out good for me in the past.
I dunno what or where the dump is like in Calgary but here in Edmonton it's far from my house and takes a long time to get in and out of. Easier and pretty much the same cost to have a guy on kijiji come pick it up and haul it away rather than do it myself.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

Bin all the way. PM me and I might be able to hook you up with a good deal. Not sure about Calgary. I have been filling bins for last 3 months.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 PM

Default I am just east of Calgary so ordered a bin for a roofing demolition

Out of Strathmore big bin (12 cu yards) was $60 delivered 2 weeks ago. Mixed loads (dirty) they call it is $150 a ton but mine was only shingles and roofing nails so was (clean) recyclable at $75 a ton. Bin is free for 5 days and you pay daily after that.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:43 PM

Yuck. I hate renos more than mosquito bites on me arse. Depends on what you think your time is worth and how quickly you are piling up stuff. Huge pain in the rear to have to pile it outside, load it, drive to the dump, unload it, then get back to what you are doing, and you're gonna make a lot more runs with a pickup or most trailers. If you can set it up so you get most/all of your demo work done in the same stretch of days, the bins are great and won't cost much more (they will always be a bit more expensive).
Old 06-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

Stay away from bin companies that cater to homeowners. Their bins are usually smaller and more expensive. I pay $500 to have the largest commercial bin for a month. The bin is the size of a 20' sea container.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:42 PM

If you have a large amount of wreck out to do at once, pile it in the yard on a tarp and call a junk removal company to take away right away. They show up with enough manpower to load and haul it to the dump for you fairly quick. Smaller amounts i've just loaded it into my pickup and taken to Eco-Station and paid the $35 for full load. Cheapest option i've come across.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:28 AM

What is your time worth? You could be renovating while someone looks after your junk. Our dump is at least a one hour turnaround and possible flat tire so I go bin all the way.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:43 AM

There are also those big reinforced poly bags to consider. You fill them up and a truck hooks it with a locker arm and hauls it off. I've not used those personally but have done many dump runs as well as many roll-off bins. Since I got my cargo trailer I've not used a bin, but as noted there is the constant risk to your tires when visiting a landfill. Between landfills and metal yards I've had 2-3 fasteners as souvenirs in my tires.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:51 AM

I do renos...its my job, my company , my life lol
one option is the Bagster...just a big bag from Rona/waste management...I have fit an entire bathroom reno debris in the...plus room for more...its about 30for the bag, then I think it was 75 for them to come hoist it up when its full...very good option for me AND the homeowner
Randy
Gabclan Renovations
Old 06-24-2017, 12:20 PM

I used our renovation as an excuse to go buy a dump trailer. It's a two axle hydraulic dump run off of a pair of 12V batteries that will handle 12,000#. It's something to consider if you're going to have yard work also. Sure makes the off-loading easy and the trailer works fine for hauling four wheelers and hunting gear since it has sides and ramps.

Bill
Old 06-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Ive done 15 renos in the last year sometime 2 or 3 on the go at a time always use bins 310 dump 30 yarders.its the only way to go why handle the garbage more then once and to much down time running and waiting at the dump ..time is money.

Mack
Old 06-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackrig View Post
I used our renovation as an excuse to go buy a dump trailer. It's a two axle hydraulic dump run off of a pair of 12V batteries that will handle 12,000#. It's something to consider if you're going to have yard work also. Sure makes the off-loading easy and the trailer works fine for hauling four wheelers and hunting gear since it has sides and ramps.

Bill
bill says things smart he does
i have tri axle 16' bumper pull from loadtrail. best investeent ever

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 AM
Banned

This what I do for 15 years now so unlike most of the other stuff I post in this case I can offer real advice. Here are, in my opinion the pros and cons of 3 scenarios.

Pros of bins:

1. Work at your leisure.
2. No accumulation on your property, so neater.
3. Generally cheaper.

Cons of bins:

1.Freeloading neighbours dumping car batteries and propane tanks leaving you on the hook for restricted materials charges.
2. Bin companies are usually busier since they're cheaper so your full bin may sit there longer than you want it to
3. Most of the time no price pro-ration, pay the same whether you fill it full or just use up half.
4. You have to do all the work.
5. Depending if you have whiny neighbours, could be an eyesore yielding complaints.
6. Ill-maintained bins and lack of experience can damage your driveway.
7. Depending on placement, bylaw could get on you arse.

Pros of dumpster bags:

1. Cheapest option other than DIY.
2. Re-usable since you purchase it.
3. Work at your leisure.
4. Akin to bins, no accumulation.

Cons of dumpster bags:

1. Susceptible to tearing if overloaded.
2. Pick up scheduling is a nightmare. (based on my customers' feedback)
3. Picker truck is a 10-ton truck with a crane, often can't get into tight spaces. (I get dozens of calls yearly from people who have run into this issue)
4. Will not drain out water the way a bin will so dump charges often end up heavier than you wish.
5. Takes up storage space when not in use.

Pros of a full service junk removal service:

1. In and out same day. Convenient.
2. You focus on your renos and let someone else worry about your garbage.
3. Most services offer pro-rated pricing so you only pay for the portion of the truck your debris takes up.
4. When using a proper company your stuff will get sorted and recycled as opposed to just getting dumped.
5. You get a detailed receipt for your records.
6. Your whiny neighbours have less to whine about.
7. Your wife is happy that she can park in the garage.

Cons of a full service junk removal service:

1. Big franchises are generally very expensive. A well maintained truck doesn't have to be logo'd right out, and fancy uniforms for hauling garbage are just a joke in my opinion and do nothing to add to the effectiveness of getting the job done.
2. Cheaper Kijiji skids usually have no WCB coverage, accept only cash and don't pay taxes, and don't have business liability insurance. To me this is very important and it should be to you too. If an uninsured worker gets hurt on your property you can be held liable and sued. You pay taxes (and way too much) so why should some loser with a truck get a pass?
3. Not always easy to find an ethical and responsible service at a reasonable price.
4. The best guys are going to be booked up 7-10 days in advance most of the time.
5. The cheapest guys often dump illegally behind strip malls or out in the country, I clean up such jobs all the time.
6. Ill- maintained trucks can leak fluids onto your driveway.
7. If you're a tough guy hunter you might feel emasculated at the prospect of paying somebody to haul stuff to the dump (although your wife loves the idea, I run into this all the time lol) I've actually walked away from a quote once, it looked like the start of a full-on domestic because the wife wanted us to just deal with it and the husband was getting angry with my price haha I told em to call me if and when they settle down. Most times the wife calls me back when the husband is away.

Last edited by patriot1; 06-25-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:08 PM

I have dumped many a thing into someone else's bin. However I also think I am the only only that asks and also compensates.

I have also seen many guys driveways scratch or cracked from getting bins taken away.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin