Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 02:46 PM

Default UFA gas?

Does anyone take advantage of the UFA card link program? Basically you can use their card locks 24/7 and pay Visa/Debit or MasterCard on the pump. Local store was saying it's about 10c/L Cheeper than retail stores in town- and more if you buy a lot.

Anyone take advantage and verify price? Quality ok- read online it's all the same refinery as Shell.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:48 PM

we run UFA in our work trucks and frac pumps and i havent seen an issue
Old 06-22-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
Does anyone take advantage of the UFA card link program? Basically you can use their card locks 24/7 and pay Visa/Debit or MasterCard on the pump. Local store was saying it's about 10c/L Cheeper than retail stores in town- and more if you buy a lot.

Anyone take advantage and verify price? Quality ok- read online it's all the same refinery as Shell.
At some card locks I have used, they sound like an awesome deal. But the price at the pump does not include GST. They add GST to your monthly total on the bill.

So make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:52 PM

I have a ufa gas card
Very handy in the fall when hunting.Fill up any time day or night.Havent compared prices on a per fill up basis

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2017, 03:41 PM

We use a Petro Pass card. Supposed to be up to 7 cents/liter savings. They don't post the price at the pump, you only find out at billing time what you paid at the pump. When gas prices are high, it saves you $$$. When they are low like now, you find out you could have bought cheaper if you only knew the price when you needed to fill up. I wonder if Ufa is similar? Curious to know.

Back when they had shortages galore in Ab, Athabasca UFA was the only place in town with fuel that one hunting trip. He gave me a temp card and I used my MC to pay.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Been using UFA diesel and gas for over 10 years, no issues.

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
We use a Petro Pass card. Supposed to be up to 7 cents/liter savings. They don't post the price at the pump, you only find out at billing time what you paid at the pump. When gas prices are high, it saves you $$$. When they are low like now, you find out you could have bought cheaper if you only knew the price when you needed to fill up. I wonder if Ufa is similar? Curious to know.

Back when they had shortages galore in Ab, Athabasca UFA was the only place in town with fuel that one hunting trip. He gave me a temp card and I used my MC to pay.

Ya not sure, I signed up at UFA but it's an access card so I will pay at the pumps with my Visa, no monthly bill from my understanding. So hope the price is posted?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Never found the cardlock price to be any different than the pump price. Used the cardlock most times to fill because of convenience, not price.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblackfx4 View Post
Ya not sure, I signed up at UFA but it's an access card so I will pay at the pumps with my Visa, no monthly bill from my understanding. So hope the price is posted?
The ufa pumps I've used don't have a price on them but maybe that's just because it's dyed fuel. To me it's all relative and don't generally shop around. If I need fuel I need fuel and there's not much sense driving to the next town to buy it. I've never had a problem with ufa fuel except during the diesel shortages. Esso had fuel when ufa didn't.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 PM

Been using UFA's card lock fuelling system since forever. I had no issues with fuel quality that I'm aware of and I like the fact I only get one bill in the mail at the end of the month no matter where in the Province I fillup. My volume discount is on about 1100 lts/month and can vary from zero to as high as $0.15, usually between 8 and 12 cents a litre compared to the other local service stations in Claresholm.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:43 PM

I have a UFA fuel account that I use for farm, business and personal - it generally is a bit cheaper but that is likely from volume as someone else said. Never a problem with the fuel. Twenty years ago when I hauled fuel UFA got theirs from the Esso refinery though that may have changed since.
Cardlocks generally don't have the price posted on the pumps likely because of the variances in price to different customers. With UFA you can sign up for an on line account that lets you track your bill/usage and such and I believe the daily price is posted there as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Gone Hunting

I've had a UFA card for years, its all I use in my vehicles. It's as good a fuel as any.

The UFA has their own refinery now. They used to buy from other companies, now they are as likely to sell fuel to their competitors as to buy from them.

My first job out of high school was working at an ESSO bulk station. When they ran low and the truck was late, they bought from whomever had fuel to sell. I'm sure it's the same today.

You could be burning UFA fuel and not even know it.

As for price, I find that I pay less then I would at a service station. Maybe because we don't have price wars up here.
But that's not why I have a fuel card. The reason I have that card is because all too often, in the past, I was not able to find a station that was open, when I needed them the most.
Or I was stuck buying fuel at some convenience store that charged half again as much as anyone else.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 PM

I don't know where you guys are getting your prices but UFA cardlock has never been cheaper than service stations for me. A lot of the time marked gas can be more expensive than clear from the local service station. Like stated above you have to add gst to your cardlock price. Not only that subtract whatever rebate you get from the local service station off their price. Normal discounts are 3 to 7 cents. Once you make those adjustments service stations are generally cheaper.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I've had a UFA card for years, its all I use in my vehicles. It's as good a fuel as any.

The UFA has their own refinery now. They used to buy from other companies, now they are as likely to sell fuel to their competitors as to buy from them.

My first job out of high school was working at an ESSO bulk station. When they ran low and the truck was late, they bought from whomever had fuel to sell. I'm sure it's the same today.

You could be burning UFA fuel and not even know it.

As for price, I find that I pay less then I would at a service station. Maybe because we don't have price wars up here.
But that's not why I have a fuel card. The reason I have that card is because all too often, in the past, I was not able to find a station that was open, when I needed them the most.
Or I was stuck buying fuel at some convenience store that charged half again as much as anyone else.
Where is the refinery? I didn't know they had done that or are you thinking of the Co-op one in Regina?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 AM
Gone Hunting

I don't know what prices are down south, I do know what I pay up here.

Yes UFA adds GST to the price at the pump. Here, I payed between $0.96 and $1.01 at the UFA in May. When I add in the GST that comes to $1.06 a liter. Less the patronage rebate.

Here service stations were charging between 1.09 1nd 1.12 at the pump in May and they give no rebates what-so-ever.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-23-2017, 05:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Where is the refinery? I didn't know they had done that or are you thinking of the Co-op one in Regina?
I was working for the CO-OP in Wetaskiwin when that refinery was bought. It was a joint venture by the CO-OP and the UFA. Or so we were told.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I was working for the CO-OP in Wetaskiwin when that refinery was bought. It was a joint venture by the CO-OP and the UFA. Or so we were told.
Ah. I wasn't aware of a refinery near Wetaskiwin... been out of that loop for too long I guess
Old 06-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:

Yes UFA adds GST to the price at the pump. Here, I payed between $0.96 and $1.01 at the UFA in May. When I add in the GST that comes to $1.06 a liter. Less the patronage rebate.

Here service stations were charging between 1.09 1nd 1.12 at the pump in May and they give no rebates what-so-ever.
I'm sure UFA gas and prices are in line with everyone else, and that there products are also.
I thought that EVERY service station has some sort of reward points program, or other gimmick/rebate to get you to buy there gas.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Ah. I wasn't aware of a refinery near Wetaskiwin... been out of that loop for too long I guess
Read it again. I did not say the refinery was in Wetaskiwin, I said I was working for the CO-OP in Wetaskiwin when that refinery was bought.
I know the refinery is in Saskatchwin but I'm not sure where.
We were told at the time but that was over thirty years ago and I have forgotten where they said it was. Regina sounds right but I can't confirm that.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Patronage rebate? Have they finally paid off the mismanagement debt from the purchase of Wholesale Sports so that they are giving back 1% on retail gas again?
Last time I got a patronage cheque from them was too many years ago to remember ( how long have they owned Wholesale?) and then if you weren't buying marked diesel fuel you really didn't get anything back.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I'm sure UFA gas and prices are in line with everyone else, and that there products are also.
I thought that EVERY service station has some sort of reward points program, or other gimmick/rebate to get you to buy there gas.
They may down there and maybe a few up here do too, but certainly not the small independent stations which is most of the stations up here.

The last I saw offered was air miles and to me those are pretty much worthless.

In town we have a Fast Gas franchise and one Esso franchise neither of which have ever offered me any sort of rebate or incentive.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 AM

Default ufa

i refuse to buy ufa diesel in the winter, you get lots of free water with it, never again period. the average person will do better at one of the other fuel stations than worry about ufa.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Read it again. I did not say the refinery was in Wetaskiwin, I said I was working for the CO-OP in Wetaskiwin when that refinery was bought.
We were told at the time but that was over thirty years ago and I have forgotten where they said it was. Regina sounds right but I can't confirm that.
Ah ok, my mistake. Then if the refinery was in Sask it is likely the Co-op in Regina that I hauled out of a hundred years ago - or so it seems. So with that then it is still likely that they are hauling from one of the refineries in the Edm. area for the local needs. They have trade agreements to cover areas with none of their local supply rather than trucking for such a great distance. I remember loading gas from the Shell depot for a couple of weeks for Esso stations because a trade had been done to supply Shell stations down east because of an issue with no supply out there. They do go back and forth like that,
Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
i refuse to buy ufa diesel in the winter, you get lots of free water with it, never again period. the average person will do better at one of the other fuel stations than worry about ufa.
And I have had the opposite experience. I used to have a PetroPass card and was constantly having issues with water in the fuel. I changed to UFA and haven't had trouble in over ten years.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
They may down there and maybe a few up here do too, but certainly not the small independent stations which is most of the stations up here.

In town we have a Fast Gas franchise and one Esso franchise neither of which have ever offered me any sort of rebate or incentive.
Thats funny. I switched to Fast Gas from Huskey when husky stopped the AMA points program. Fast Gas gives you cash back every time you gas up. I always cash mine in when it hits 10.00 because you never know. lol
It's not much, but it's something. Also Fast Gas always lets you gas up without prepaying, which I find convienient, esp when its 20 below and windy. Check them out. You might save a few bucks. Funny thing about Fast Gas, I find that in the boonies you can only get regular gas.
As for ESSO, are you kidding me? I must have heard the annoying ESSO rewards card commercial a hundred times.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:06 AM

Just as already mentioned, all companies exchange fuel from each other to save on transportation costs. All need to meet fuel specs which are checked by Alberta Research Council Fuel labs. I buy almost all my fuel from UFA as normally lowest cost fuel in western Alberta. Only higher cost UFA though is at Spruce Grove.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
You do know what happens to water in the winter right?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Refinery is in Regina, UFA has nothing to do with it. It is solely owned by FCL, ever see a FCL truck at a UFA?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Doesnt't fast gas still have their litre log? Was a good deal if you had a station convenient to fill regularly at.

Esso does the aeroplan miles and many times have x? promotions. The miles can be used to redeem for gas purchases.

I would rather retailers just cut their prices, but society seems to like the "rewards".
Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 AM

We've used UFA for years in all of our personal vehicle. Our entire fleet at work as well. Never had an issue.