Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 PM

Default $17 M Canadian Arctic Climate change study Cancelled

Can anyone guess why?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Can anyone guess why?
Too many polar bears to safely conduct the study.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Due to ice flow from the Arctic?

Was a banner year for icebergs around Newfoundland - does that mean there's more ice or that more of it is breaking off and heading south?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:35 PM

They can't get through the ice. Isn't that the stuff that Al and Dave said would be gone a couple years ago?

If we weren't paying the carbon tax to cool things off they could have done their work.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
They can't get through the ice. Isn't that the stuff that Al and Dave said would be gone a couple years ago?

If we weren't paying the carbon tax to cool things off they could have done their work.
Didn't read the entire article did you? It's not like they are trying to push through 10 feet of solid ice with an ice breaker - it's slob ice moving south.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:48 PM

All correct answers so far.

Unprecedented range and thickness of sea ice has cancelled the study of receding Arctic Ice.

The risk of getting stuck in the record Ice flows among the recently surveyed Increasing Polar Bear population was determined to be too high and dangerous.

As the lead researcher states, This IS proof of Climate change.

http://news.umanitoba.ca/large-canad...limate-change/

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Didn't read the entire article did you? It's not like they are trying to push through 10 feet of solid ice with an ice breaker - it's slob ice moving south.
So they couldn't get through the ice? Is that what you're saying?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-21-2017, 08:12 PM

I think what they are trying to say is that climate change has led to ice flows breaking away from the caps and moving south thus making travel through them dangerous etc

Just my guess at what they are trying to say and reading the comments below the article.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I think what they are trying to say is that climate change has led to ice flows breaking away from the caps and moving south thus making travel through them dangerous etc

Just my guess at what they are trying to say and reading the comments below the article.

I read mumbling through a bunch of toes.

The ice is gone, panic.
The ice remains, panic.

I'm getting a kick out of climate change professionals and students being put out of work due to the risk of getting stuck in Ice that isn't there.

Be a believer or put thousands of scientists on UI....

Old 06-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The ice is gone, panic.
The ice remains, panic.
Here's the issue - ice isn't an indication. Go live in Newfoundland for a few years and people will start realizing that. I love hearing landlocked Albertans talking about pack ice.

The bay that I lived on could be bare one day - then chock full of ice the next. Why? One good windy day - wind. Couple of days later, ice gone - where did it go? Up the coast or down the coast - literally blown away.

Newfoundland hasn't had summer yet, is it an indication that global warming doesn't exist? Many down home think so, still frost warnings - but yet, beautiful in Nova Scotia. Some fun living on a rock in the North Atlantic.

We have an issue - centrists are gone. Everything this day in age is far left or far right - either for or against, there's no in between.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 PM

"The science is settled". I guess the climate and the weather don't care about that.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Too many polar bears to safely conduct the study.
LOL man that is FUNNY! HAHAHAHAHAH
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 PM

What is the earth temperature suppose be? Can climate change scientist give us an answer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 PM

Perhaps alta270 can tell us!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Perhaps alta270 can tell us!
Before Sundance swings in and starts posting charts of growing ice pack in the Arctic and Antarctica, lets have a little discussion about it. When you think about growing ice packs, you actually need to think in reverse. We all know (hopefully) that fresh water freezes at around 0 degrees Celcius - or 32 Fahrenheit. Salt water takes a little more time, but the difference is only 2 degrees.

What happens when you add fresh water to salt water? You change the salinity. So, we need to ask ourselves - why is the pack ice growing during global warming? Science knows the salinity of the ocean surrounding Antarctica is changing.

2 degrees doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme of things. But lets look at the human body, 98.6 F is our sustained temperature, we need that to function. Add 2 degrees to your core temp permanantly, you won't function. Take 2 degrees away permanently, you won't function.

So yeah, sorry, growing pack ice is not an indication that global warming doesn't exist.

Cheers.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Before Sundance swings in and starts posting charts of growing ice pack in the Arctic and Antarctica, lets have a little discussion about it. When you think about growing ice packs, you actually need to think in reverse. We all know (hopefully) that fresh water freezes at around 0 degrees Celcius - or 32 Fahrenheit. Salt water takes a little more time, but the difference is only 2 degrees.

What happens when you add fresh water to salt water? You change the salinity. So, we need to ask ourselves - why is the pack ice growing during global warming? Science knows the salinity of the ocean surrounding Antarctica is changing.

2 degrees doesn't sound like much in the grand scheme of things. But lets look at the human body, 98.6 F is our sustained temperature, we need that to function. Add 2 degrees to your core temp permanantly, you won't function. Take 2 degrees away permanently, you won't function.

So yeah, sorry, growing pack ice is not an indication that global warming doesn't exist.

Cheers.
So let me get this straight. Increased temperatures accelerate the melting of ice thus causing more fresh water to enter the oceans thus lowering the salinity and causing the sea ice to form at a lower temperature. If I understand your post correctly this is your assertion, correct? Doesn't increased temperature also increase evaporation? Increased evaporation of water from the oceans would then increase the salinity, if we were to follow your logic about decreased salinity. The salt that is in the ocean isn't just magically there it is leached out from the soils so increased run off would actually increase the salinity of the ocean. So I am going to say that increased ice pack means that more water froze than last year and that there is more ice than last year. Trying to use anecdotal evidence to try to prove that "global warming" is a menace is disingenuous at best. Climate change has always been and will always be a part of life on earth. If you actually believe in evolution you should be excited about it as the way is being paved for new species and the ones that can't compete are being deselected by nature. I am so sick and tired of hearing that the sky is falling and that people are the bad guys. Could we do a better job of looking after the resources on this planet? Of course. Have we made huge strides forward in cleaning things up? Yes. Can more be done? Absolutely. Stop with the climate change nonsense. Please.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:03 AM

So global warming is proven by growing ice packs and shrinking ice packs🤔 I didn't know that.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 AM

David Suzuki and that whole group can k-- my a--!!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Banned

Or there is 4.5 billion more vessels holding approximately 45 l of water. Remove 225 billion lites of water from earths water cycle and you will see what we are seeing now.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
So let me get this straight. Increased temperatures accelerate the melting of ice thus causing more fresh water to enter the oceans thus lowering the salinity and causing the sea ice to form at a lower temperature. If I understand your post correctly this is your assertion, correct? Doesn't increased temperature also increase evaporation? Increased evaporation of water from the oceans would then increase the salinity, if we were to follow your logic about decreased salinity. The salt that is in the ocean isn't just magically there it is leached out from the soils so increased run off would actually increase the salinity of the ocean. So I am going to say that increased ice pack means that more water froze than last year and that there is more ice than last year. Trying to use anecdotal evidence to try to prove that "global warming" is a menace is disingenuous at best. Climate change has always been and will always be a part of life on earth. If you actually believe in evolution you should be excited about it as the way is being paved for new species and the ones that can't compete are being deselected by nature. I am so sick and tired of hearing that the sky is falling and that people are the bad guys. Could we do a better job of looking after the resources on this planet? Of course. Have we made huge strides forward in cleaning things up? Yes. Can more be done? Absolutely. Stop with the climate change nonsense. Please.
Read up on it, quite interesting actually. i'm not declaring the sky is falling either. But to sit here and believe that the current population of 7.5 billion humans - plus all the infrastructure to support that population - isn't having any effect on the planet?

I'll hear people today declaring no global warming cause it's cold in Edmonton today. Well, sorry, but the jet stream is south of us and there's a prevailing northwest wind - yeah, it's going to be chilly.

But if that's your data set for global warming, that would be akin to taking a glass of water from the ocean, examining it with your eyes and declaring there's no life in the ocean.

There are articles from the late 1800's, early 1900's showing concern over the use of coal and pollution.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 AM

Just have to take a look what's happening in Antarctica and any fool can see there's global warming going on

Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Maybe they couldn't pay the heating bill.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just have to take a look what's happening in Antarctica and any fool can see there's global warming going on

Tell us more...
Old 06-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
We have an issue - centrists are gone. Everything this day in age is far left or far right - either for or against, there's no in between.
X2
Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Believe it was on the news last night the Antarctic ice shelf size of Prince Edward Island is going to break off and its melting in historic levels I guess take that for what it is if it's global warming or just the trend it's still happening

Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Believe it was on the news last night the Antarctic ice shelf size of Prince Edward Island is going to break off and its melting in historic levels I guess take that for what it is if it's global warming or just the trend it's still happening

And this was preventable how?
Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Easy.

Mo' money!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
If global warming is real and happening - and is in fact caused by humans - is it too late to stop it? That's the question. That's why many are ringing alarms - it's 50 years down the road, hundred years down the road.

We are already paying for the excesses and sins of the father. 3 or 4 generations down the line when we are dead and buried?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:29 PM
Gone Hunting

So...I guess the only thing we can do about it is to tax it...that'll fix everything...????
Old 06-22-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
So...I guess the only thing we can do about it is to tax it...that'll fix everything...????
Tax in theory was a good idea - just not well implemented. Pay the government for your carbon usage. It's supposed to be about getting people to pull back, do with less - unfortunately that's not going to happen and it becomes a tax grab. Kind of like photo radar, people are going to speed anyway - money is made.

How do you get a human race to be less excessive? It's all about supply and demand isn't it? And yeah, it's funny - the ones that are screaming the most about global warming are the ones jetting around the world.

China for example is choking on pollution. Was that their will? Or the will of the world demanding goods? China made the choice to manufacture, likely realizing now it's a mistake. Why manufacture goods in Canada or US when it's cheaper and safer to do it elsewhere?