Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 PM

Default Wainwright questions

Should get the early season rifle tag this year. This will be my first time going onto the base for a hunt. Any insight in these questions I have?

Where is the best town to stay in? Any accommodation recommendations?

What are the road conditions typically like on the base? Main roads clear then find a nice area and park and go for walks?

Any other recommendations fellows have that have hunted up there before?

What were the deer numbers like this past year?

Any info is appreciated.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Banned

i saw way more moose then i did deer last year. Roads were great there... lots of options for all types of hunting on the base.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 PM

I hunted last years muzzleloader season there. I saw tons of deer, one small bachelor group of elk, and 2 moose.
The roads on the base were fine when we were there.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 PM

I usually see more moose than deer, and I have applied for the last season for antlered moose, as well as for deer. I am a P-9 for both, so I hope to draw both. I will be at the camp for the sharptailed grouse season, which will also be a scouting trip for moose.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 PM

There are lots of hotels and motels. If you want your truck to be outside your room. Go with the R@R Inn. There are also the Ramada and best Western. Just some options. If you want to go rustic check out the bison Inn......it's been renovated I think. Lots of options to stay. Food is down to some over priced local restaurants, BPs, a@w, mc Donald's and KFC. If you want over priced good food go to the honey pot. Ps the tims lineup is retarded in the morning. Take all my advice at your own risk. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Roads are good as long as there's not to much snow. Otherwise you're stuck driving on the main roads. Last year was awesome conditions but two years ago there was 2 feet of snow.

Bison inn and r&r are good. No need to stay anywhere but in the town of wainwright.

Get out and walk if you want to see deer. Draws and bluffs in the river valley area are a good start.

If you're the type that likes to put miles on the boots, go to the annex. Walk in only.

Honey Pot has awesome food. Bit pricey.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 PM

Stay at the R&R too when we hunt the base. Good motel/hotel. Only problems I have ever seen with the base roads is deep snow lol.

I'm a sucker for punishment and only hunt the last season as almost all the base is usually open by then vs first seasons that tend to still have training going on and it concentrates hunters into smaller areas.

Neat place to hunt, so many different landscapes, good luck.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Roads are good as long as there's not to much snow. Otherwise you're stuck driving on the main roads. Last year was awesome conditions but two years ago there was 2 feet of snow.

Bison inn and r&r are good. No need to stay anywhere but in the town of wainwright.

Get out and walk if you want to see deer. Draws and bluffs in the river valley area are a good start.

If you're the type that likes to put miles on the boots, go to the annex. Walk in only.

Honey Pot has awesome food. Bit pricey.
X2
Old 06-21-2017, 08:26 AM

It's a nice hunt, but deer numbers are definitely way down from where they've been in the past.
There are LOTS of moose, the last 3 times I've been there we've seen more than deer by a fairly large margin.
Provided there's little or no snow access is fairly good throughout.

It can be close to zero or minus 30 with a howling wind... been on both sides of that equation. Being a 3 day hunt you are stuck with whatever nature throws at you.

Hotels and food are what you'd expect in a mid size town like wainwright. There's options but don't get your expectations up to high! Lol

We've had a few great hunts over the years but the last few have been very disappointing.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 PM

First time driving by the base was a few months ago. Saw loads of deer and some elk. Not that I am saying hunting is gonna be good but it was encouraging to see game in some great habitat
Old 06-24-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Where is the best town to stay in? Any accommodation recommendations?
What are the road conditions typically like on the base? Main roads clear then find a nice area and park and go for walks?
Any other recommendations fellows have that have hunted up there before?
What were the deer numbers like this past year?
Lots of choices for accommodation now in town. Days Inn, R&R are good if you like to park outside your room. Best Western and Ramada are newer and bigger but multi levels.
Roads will be decided by the weather. Roads won't be plowed unless training is going on, if it's a wet fall the Fall Ex will tear up the side roads/goats trails and will be hell if it freezes or fill in with snow but they can also be snow-free and fine. Mother Nature will control that one.
The East side is mainly walk-in and the West side is mainly AB's biggest truck hunt (minus CFB Suffield now) no matter what people say online. If you can fit a truck down a trail it will happen on the West side. Each year someone amazes us and needs to be recovered in an area I thought was un-driveable.
Hunt the way you like to and pick the area according to that style.
Deer numbers and age structure are improving since the big winter kills of 2010 and 2012. The general area has had another mild/easy winer for ungulates, lots of moisture this spring and lots of feed. IMO it should be the best year pre-2010 for the area in both numbers and age structure of bucks.
Good luck and have fun
S