Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
I do not agree with everything you posted but then again i also understand there is a certain amount of levity in it . But i have always wondered why people have to show off their toy and post pictures then they complain when they get stolen. I alway figured i bought my toys for my enjoyment so i dont need to display them to others....but then again maybe your enjoyment IS showing off to others .

Mack
Most members, like me, enjoy looking at other peoples cool boats, guns, gear or whatever. I enjoy looking at big, fancy offshore boats as much as I like seeing someone's project on converting a 12ft tinner and putting in a home made wood floor and makeshift accessories.

If someone has worked hard and can buy a fancy whatever, I'm happy for them. Why wouldn't I be.

I am also happy for the guys who are able to fabricate a fold up ice shack or weld up a hilly-billy game hoist contraption that works and costs 8 bucks - A guy, with less talent like me, has to go out and buy a folding tent and a pay for the game hoist.

It's cool to see and I really don't see people bragging it up here.

I really have never felt anyone was showing off.

And don't you think the guy who had his fancy boat stolen doesn't deserve the right to be ticked off towards a thief? It would be equally painful to have someone's home made sausage making contraption stolen, and they too, would have the right to be upset.

I really don't understand the point. It really looks like jealousy to me maybe it's not, and maybe I'm wrong, but that's 100% what it looks like.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM

I used to be in the sss way of thinking but have given much thought to possible confrontations. If I go out and point my gun at say 2,3 or 4 guys possibly all armed am I going to win? Probably not and if they fire at me likely many shots will miss but could very well hit my house where my real valuables are, My family.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Most members, like me, enjoy looking at other peoples cool boats, guns, gear or whatever. I enjoy looking at big, fancy offshore boats as much as I like seeing someone's project on converting a 12ft tinner and putting in a home made wood floor and makeshift accessories.

If someone has worked hard and can buy a fancy whatever, I'm happy for them. Why wouldn't I be.

I am also happy for the guys who are able to fabricate a fold up ice shack or weld up a hilly-billy game hoist contraption that works and costs 8 bucks - A guy, with less talent like me, has to go out and buy a folding tent and a pay for the game hoist.

It's cool to see and I really don't see people bragging it up here.

I really have never felt anyone was showing off.

And don't you think the guy who had his fancy boat stolen doesn't deserve the right to be ticked off towards a thief? It would be equally painful to have someone's home made sausage making contraption stolen, and they too, would have the right to be upset.

I really don't understand the point. It really looks like jealousy to me maybe it's not, and maybe I'm wrong, but that's 100% what it looks like.
Showing a friend your stuff is one thing posting it on the internet is another. Maybe it is just me but to post all your goodies on a forum then in a week or so posting that you will be going to Vancouver or Hawaii for two or three weeks just never makes sense to me. As far as jealousy no dont think so have all the toys I need and then some just don't see the need to post them.

Mack
Old 06-22-2017, 05:23 AM
Banned

There's nothing I hate more than a thief but I find it hard to believe the story or theory. I think it's just the aftermath of what happens in the real world.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:15 PM

Talking

Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Reeves, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the shells are bathroom supplies...

Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Reeves, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the shells are bathroom supplies...

First & only time I heard about 3 clams was in a movie with that Rocky guy. They woke him in the future.....don't remember the name.

I never did figger out the clam thingys.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Haha!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:35 AM

On a side note people need to start protecting said toys a lot better. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard of a $80K truck pulling a $30K trailer with two $25K sleds in it getting stolen and someone asking how they protected it to be told "I locked the doors" or "I parked it under a light" Denver boots, aftermarket alarms with starter kill, GPS tracking are a few simple and relatively cheap things you can do to help insure your not a victim, but sadly most people never even consider any form of protection making themselves sitting ducks and victims in wait. We already know the law has little interest in protecting your stuff, it's up to you and only you
Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
First & only time I heard about 3 clams was in a movie with that Rocky guy. They woke him in the future.....don't remember the name.

I never did figger out the clam thingys.
Demolition Man,

Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
On a side note people need to start protecting said toys a lot better. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard of a $80K truck pulling a $30K trailer with two $25K sleds in it getting stolen and someone asking how they protected it to be told "I locked the doors" or "I parked it under a light" Denver boots, aftermarket alarms with starter kill, GPS tracking are a few simple and relatively cheap things you can do to help insure your not a victim, but sadly most people never even consider any form of protection making themselves sitting ducks and victims in wait. We already know the law has little interest in protecting your stuff, it's up to you and only you
The real issue is a legal system that doesn't punish thieves, and that won't let us use force to protect our property. A good beat down does more to dissuade thieves than a slap on the wrist from the legal system.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Or not buy yourself such nice things to begin with and then you won't be affected much by crime.

If you have $250,000 worth of toys and it gets stolen you can't cry foul when you have to pay the cost to replace them.
Should have bought something less expensive and not as shiny,
To give temptation to the thief.

Or at least blame the criminal and not the dealerships, as it was not them that stole your items,

Or one step further,
It's no ones fault but your own, if y ou decide to have $250,000 worth of toys for someone to steal in the first place.

If I only have $70,000 worth of toys and the Jones's have double that and they get targeted and not me,
Because the dumb crooks know their stuff is worth more,
Maybe they should have been a little conservative in their purchasing.

Or

Why would a thief steal a Ford Ranger, when the F-350 parked beside it yields a bigger payday.
What a strange approach, it doesnt matter what you have some turd will steal it if the opportunity presents itself and the situation is ideal. Oh and a ford ranger wont pull you 90,000 fifth wheel. You cant blame the purchaser! It doesnt matter if if left running outside a liquor store it should not be stolen either. There is no justification for thieves!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The real issue is a legal system that doesn't punish thieves, and that won't let us use force to protect our property. A good beat down does more to dissuade thieves than a slap on the wrist from the legal system.
What makes you think,
Even if you could use force on your own property,
That you would be able to defend it in that way.

As good as you think you are,
Someone else is better.

You're most likely to be the one getting the beat down as opposed to the other way around.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
What a strange approach, it doesnt matter what you have some turd will steal it if the opportunity presents itself and the situation is ideal. Oh and a ford ranger wont pull you 90,000 fifth wheel. You cant blame the purchaser! It doesnt matter if if left running outside a liquor store it should not be stolen either. There is no justification for thieves!
It was for those who go out and get all the high priced toys and then complain about the theives, the insurance company, the dealerships.

Having stuff get stolen sucks,
But if that item is too much of a financial burden to replace then maybe you shouldn't have it in the first place.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
It was for those who go out and get all the high priced toys and then complain about the theives, the insurance company, the dealerships.

Having stuff get stolen sucks,
But if that item is too much of a financial burden to replace then maybe you shouldn't have it in the first place.
Again with the stupid replies. Blame the owner coddle the thief? You lost this one let it go. Financial burden?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
What makes you think,

Someone else is better.

You're most likely to be the one getting the beat down as opposed to the other way around.
A thief just knowing that there is a very good chance that the property owner has the right and is very likely to defend his property with the use of lethal force is gonna think twice, three times, and ten times about committing that crime. Thus reducing crime significantly.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

Yep, that's a good point. All great to be smug and say it's covered under insurance but...

I keep having to pay higher premiums ever year - and I've NEVER had a claim - home or vehicle. Why? Everyone pays for this. Calgary flood? Everyone pays.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
.."If that item(thing) is too much of a financial burden to replace, then maybe you shouldn't have it in the first place.
You sure seem stuck on your great love/hugs for the criminal. Come on, deep down inside you probably feel the same way about
child/dog abductions with your outlook on,
"if it's to important to you, you musnt have it"
Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
You sure seem stuck on your great love/hugs for the criminal. Come on, deep down inside you probably feel the same way about
child/dog abductions with your outlook on,
"if it's to important to you, you musnt have it"
Ken is so conscerned with his $300 000 boat and having to go through the assorted hoops when it gets stolen,
Maybe he shouldn't have nice things.

If it hurts when you do this,
Then don't do that.

Pretty simple.

If he continues to put him self in a position where he is constantly a target for theives then maybe he needs to change that.

The poor guy is having such a hard time in life right now
I don't know his s circumstances but I wish him well and a quick recovery.

No one should have to live life afraid of having things stolen.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Again with the stupid replies. Blame the owner coddle the thief? You lost this one let it go. Financial burden?
Whatever hardships you have gone through recently can't be good.

I hope you get things straightened out,

You seem like a reasonable guy,

Whatever you lost is just an item,,,its material it can be replaced.

Good luck in your future endeavours,
Old 06-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Back in the 70's when I was growing up, most of the men around me spoke of this too. Example: Dad had 2 tires stolen off his company car one night. Replaced and 2 days later they were gone again. I remember dad and the neighbor dads talking that if they only knew they would come back so quick for the new tires, a surprise party would be waiting. A good beating would make them think twice. It was the attitude of the day. Crooks knew this could happen. Crime was less.

I would like to know where all the 1 tons, boats, RV's, Skid Steers, atv etc are going? They all can't be chopped up for parts. Someone is buying hot goods. And the cops could do decoys with trackers if they really wanted to find out.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Back in the 70's when I was growing up, most of the men around me spoke of this too. Example: Dad had 2 tires stolen off his company car one night. Replaced and 2 days later they were gone again. I remember dad and the neighbor dads talking that if they only knew they would come back so quick for the new tires, a surprise party would be waiting. A good beating would make them think twice. It was the attitude of the day. Crooks knew this could happen. Crime was less.

I would like to know where all the 1 tons, boats, RV's, Skid Steers, atv etc are going? They all can't be chopped up for parts. Someone is buying hot goods. And the cops could do decoys with trackers if they really wanted to find out.
Crime was actually higher in the 1970's. We just hear about it more now with our 24 hour on news and social media, and therefore think automatically that the reverse is true.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
A good beat down does more to dissuade thieves than a slap on the wrist from the legal system.

Lots of bravado. Don't hear of too many shootings of thieves - or beatdowns for that matter. Thieves once arrested and charged are made known - so go find them, beat them down, teach them a lesson.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
A thief just knowing that there is a very good chance that the property owner has the right and is very likely to defend his property with the use of lethal force is gonna think twice, three times, and ten times about committing that crime. Thus reducing crime significantly.
Maybe, but also may increase "lethal force" crimes against property owner(by that, I mean owner murdered not charged). More armed robberies etc.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The funeral home cartel invented cancer and Monsanto. Shhhh
Fact: People are dying to give there money to funeral homes.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-24-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
What makes you think,

Someone else is better.

If I was allowed to use force to protect my property, you can rest assured that the odds would be in my favor before I took on a thief . A face full of pepper spray would be a good start.

As for why there aren't more beat downs of thieves, the reason is simple, our legal system protects the thieves.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
If I was allowed to use force to protect my property, you can rest assured that the odds would be in my favor before I took on a thief . A face full of pepper spray would be a good start.

As for why there aren't more beat downs of thieves, the reason is simple, our legal system protects the thieves.
Odds would not be in your favour,

It's not like crime happens when you're prepared.

Someone breaks into your house at 3 am while your sleeping you'll be crapping your pants like almost anyone.

See there have been worse consequences for theives throughout history
Yet they continue,

We're not talking about kids out on a Saturday night looking for kicks

We're talking individuals who are associated with gangs and other criminal elements
You thin just beacause you can drop an elk at 50 yards that you can take on one of these punks...good luck

Just because you can use a long gun,
Doesn't make you a defender against a determined criminal,

But good luck with that,

There may be a handful of people on here that would stand a better chance,
And those are the ones with military or law enforcement training,

Not your Weekend warrior, everyday hunter types,
No matter how tough you talk here online.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Whatever hardships you have gone through recently can't be good.
I hope you get things straightened out,
You seem like a reasonable guy,
Whatever you lost is just an item,,,its material it can be replaced.
Good luck in your future endeavours,
Have the voices in your head taken over completely? I have no idea what you are going on about
Old 06-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Have the voices in your head taken over completely? I have no idea what you are going on about
All you seem to talk about lately is crime and theft and getting into an accident.

I'm guessing you have made these threads in a guise to figure out your best course of action.

There has been the post office

Your boat got stolen

You have had a bad accident that the insurance company is given you a hard time about.

Whatever it is, that has you on this path , I hope you can deal with it.

And if none of this has happened to you,
Then why make constant threads about it?
Old 06-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Odds would not be in your favour,

It's not like crime happens when you're prepared.

Someone breaks into your house at 3 am while your sleeping you'll be crapping your pants like almost anyone.

See there have been worse consequences for theives throughout history
Yet they continue,

We're not talking about kids out on a Saturday night looking for kicks

We're talking individuals who are associated with gangs and other criminal elements
You thin just beacause you can drop an elk at 50 yards that you can take on one of these punks...good luck

Just because you can use a long gun,
Doesn't make you a defender against a determined criminal,

But good luck with that,

There may be a handful of people on here that would stand a better chance,
And those are the ones with military or law enforcement training,

Not your Weekend warrior, everyday hunter types,
No matter how tough you talk here online.
If I am in bed at 3AM, there is a can of pepper spray on our night stand, so I will be at least somewhat prepared. And if you think that someone can sneak into our home in the middle of the night while we are sleeping, good luck with that. Anyone that has been to my home knows that I have three living burglar alarms, and the chances of someone getting into our yard, let alone into our home , without at least one of them detecting the intruder and alerting us, is pretty much non existent. And if someone does enter our home in the night, he/she will be greeted by all three furry burglar alarms, so it is them that will be at a disadvantage.