Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Default Winefred Lake Wilderness Camp

Hey Guys,

Looking for info and feedback on the wilderness camp and Winefred lake.

Maybe some must haves when going there as well.

TIA
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 PM

I've been to the wilderness camp a few times. There are 5 cabins with wood stoves although I've never used the stoves and 4 plywood bunks. There are picnic tables and fire pits. There isn't power or water. Everything must be boated into and out of the camp across the lake to the sand river which is a few miles away.

It is rustic. Treat it like you were going on a trip in an outfitters tent where you had to pack everything in by boat. Air mattress, bedding, tarps, axe, generator, lights, and so on.

The road to the main lodge can be dicey when it rains. A half ton 4x4 is required a lot of the time to make it there. You park your truck at the main lodge, load your boats and go. You can boat back to the main lodge and buy fuel, ice, and get wood.

Fishing can be very good. Just ask the guys at the lodge dock who work there where to go. The main issue is wind. It's a large lake without a lot of cover. Sometimes even making it to the tent camp or leaving the camp is dangerous in a small boat.

Good luck if you decide to go and hopefully you get good weather.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:06 PM

Pretty rough spot to stay and the big flies are horrible there. Not very comfortable that's for sure. Better to launch at Pauls, have the comfort of your own boat also.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Thanks guys.

What are the details on Pauls? What are his rates? How many cabins? Is there room to tent on your own or does he allow that?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:06 PM

I believe that the rate at Paul's last year was $80/night per person not including boat rental if required. I'm not to sure how many cabins he has, but at least half a dozen I'd say.

I would say it would be very unlikely that you'd be allowed to set up a tent at Paul's. Only option for camping is at the grist lake campground which has very limited camping and the road in is atrocious.

If you want to fish Winifred, you pretty much need to go through the lodge or Paul's. And the cost will correlate to what you get from the lower end of the wilderness camp, up to Paul's, and then up to the lodge.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:08 PM

Just saying you could probably launch at Pauls he charges 65 bucks. Then have all your stuff in your boat and use that camp at sand River.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Yeah you could probably launch at Paul's and go find an island somewhere to camp on or go further up river from the wilderness camp at the sand river.

Paul charges a launch fee and a day rate, but it would be the cheapest option if that's your goal.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 PM

Even just stay at that camp. There is hardly anyone there and they really can't do a lot of you do. They don't own that land. Pauls a dink and he raises his rates by the week up there.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Why not just set up a tent in between the buildings of the main lodge if that's how you feel about it? They do have a business license to run that camp as part of their business lease.

Personally I wouldn't use someone else's camp. Mostly because I'm not a dick.

As far as Paul goes, charge whatever people are willing to pay just like any other business.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 PM

Thanks guys.

Put a call in with Pauls and an email. Hoping to hear back from him soon. Also have talked with the lodge about the tents just in case Pauls doesn't work out.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:53 PM

Good luck hearing back from Paul. Don't wait by the phone to long .....
Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Good luck hearing back from Paul. Don't wait by the phone to long .....
He is an interesting character that's for sure!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:31 PM

That's what I have heard, it's to bad he takes so long, probably loses bookings due to it. More than likely unless I hear back from him next week we will be headed to the wilderness camp...
Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 PM

He's an idiot. Been ripping people off for years. Show up at his camp. Get your Vaseline jar out when he charges you 75 dollars to launch then go do your thing. Best way to maximize your money and time on the lake. That's what I do.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 PM

$75 to launch a Bloody boat??!!
Jeepers that is nothing but robbery!!
Cat
Old 04-22-2017, 10:46 PM

Yip 50 to launch. 25 to park. It's a complete joke. He used to charge 25 which is fair. He's a money hungry gouger. He's only interested in you if your showering him with money. Honestly one of the biggest peice of s--t I've ever met.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 PM

Safety D I wouldn't want your business with your comments, the lodge does the same so why don't you beat them too.
If you don't want to pay go someone where else. The lodge used to cater to oil patch and prices went crazy, now these people are after us fisherman or hunters

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-23-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:52 PM

I'm entitled to my opinion. I am a oil patch guy/ avid fisherman. At least from what I hear the lodge people are nice and treat you descent. I pay my 75 bucks and get my fred fix once a year. So ya I get greased just like anyone else. But the nice thing is once you get on the water it's all forgotten about. !!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Safety D I wouldn't want your business with your comments, the Fr--Ken lodge does the same so why don't you beat them too.
If you don't want to pay go someone where else. The lodge used to cater to oil patch and prices went crazy, now these people are after us fisherman or hunters
Safety D is 100% correct about those that clown thinks he owns the lake, so not a ton different than the lodge, but he takes DB to a whole new level. Which is why I use the public launch now. Plenty of primitive camping and no ridiculous costs, other than a major truck wash if it's greasy. Take your time in that road you'll be fine.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:23 PM

That's a pretty tough road have not been on it in years. The boat launch did look shallow not sure if you can launch a bigger boat there ? Ya if you have a tough truck that's the way to go !!!
Old 04-23-2017, 03:28 PM

There are some nasty rocks out front of the public launch now that the water is lower than it used to be. Go slow and be watchful or you'll be replacing your prop.

I'd rather pay Paul $75 than pound that road to the public launch. The abuse on your equipment far exceeds $75.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
There are some nasty rocks out front of the public launch now that the water is lower than it used to be. Go slow and be watchful or you'll be replacing your prop.

I'd rather pay Paul $75 than pound that road to the public launch. The abuse on your equipment far exceeds $75.
Agreed
Old 04-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Anybody have pictures of the wilderness camp by chance?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:18 AM

No pics but when I stopped there it's pretty rough. Plus it's not used much. I've stopped there several times over the years of peak fishing and no
One there. It's not maintained and the cabins are in poor condition. I would just launch at Pauls and stay there. If the flies are out you won't be able
To stand it there
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM

And I'm sure Paul gives everyone a receipt and he claims all his boat launching revenue to cra. Jus sayin'
Old 04-24-2017, 03:05 PM

Someone call revenue Canada on that guy !!!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:13 PM

I think the biggest issue here is the Lodge constructed and maintains the launch. They built it, they can charge whatever they want.

I'm pretty certain the government punched the road in and built the launch into Paul's camp and the lease he pays gives him zero jurisdiction over that road allowance or the launch. I could be wrong. If that is the case, it's a bit greasy to charge those exorbitant fees isn't it?

This is the exact same scenario as the guys on South Buck (on south end) who jump out the bushes to try and charge you to launch next door to their business when, in fact, the county built, maintains and operates the public launch. Greasy.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM

You haven't met Paul. They don't get any greasier !!!!!! I hope he's reading this too
Old 05-14-2017, 02:36 PM

This will be our fourth season at Pauls, he has treated us decent and fair. The facilities, shower house, out houses are top notch. the cabins are cozy and clean, etc. The fish cleaning station is great also. I have been to Winefred lake Lodge in the past, but have chose not to go back due to the service and attitude of the new owners. Paul maintains his own road, and I can attest that it is much better than the road to the Winefred lake lodge for sure, and many kms shorter. They should hold the Plamondon mud bogs on the road to Winefred lake lodge! Although I take my own boat, Paul has fairly new 16' lund boats, motors, etc. The $80.00 per night per person, which I think is fair, considering all the dishes, propane, bedding, and power, etc is included. And unlike Winefred Lake lodge, we were able to use and enjoy the fire-pit at Pauls! I will be going June 1st this year, hope all the ice is gone by then! I am fairly certain that the road maintenance into Paul's is on his dime and time. Anyways, I think it's a great place, and paul and Sheri have treated us fair, and are great hosts, and we will continue to go back there in the future. Will give an update on the fishing when we get back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06627.jpg (108.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06631.jpg (97.2 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05159.JPG (101.4 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Is it $80 per person per night for cabin boat launch just bring your own food

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk