Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Places to put your fishing license

I thought this might be a fun thread.

Where do you keep your license? As a female I don't lug my giant wallet and purse out with me. I keep a copy folded up behind my smart phone in between the case which always comes with me. I've heard of people printing out multiple copies and putting one in tackle box, wallet, etc. How do you ensure you have your license on you?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 PM

in my tackle box while ice fishing and in the lifejacket during open water

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
I thought this might be a fun thread.

Where do you keep your license? As a female I don't lug my giant wallet and purse out with me. I keep a copy folded up behind my smart phone in between the case which always comes with me. I've heard of people printing out multiple copies and putting one in tackle box, wallet, etc. How do you ensure you have your license on you?
I keep mine in my murse, along with my hairbrush and a few other things. lol
seriously I keep mine in a water proof bag and keep it in my tackle box
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM

No way, I'm not telling you all the good spots where I.... ooops, wrong thread.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Man purse
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Banned

Electronic copy on my cell phoned signed electronically.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Man purse
Good for you! Most of us aren't comfortable enough to carry it off.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Electronic copy on my cell phoned signed electronically.
illegal. We aren't that advanced in Alberta yet.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Banned

Cool

Had an old pair of surf shorts that had a double ziplock wallet shorts died I kept the wallet now it lives in the truck...or the vest... or the tackle box.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM

First copy Zip lock bag and tucked inside fly vest

Second copy Zip lock bag and tucked into my life jacket pocket

Third copy Zip lock bag and tucked in tackle box

Last copy in glove box of the truck.

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
First copy Zip lock bag and tucked inside fly vest

Second copy Zip lock bag and tucked into my life jacket pocket

Third copy Zip lock bag and tucked in tackle box

Last copy in glove box of the truck.

LC
Damn! ALL 2012 licenses!!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 06:12 PM

I like the online purchase....print out a schwack, sign them, and stash in likely places.

LC
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
illegal. We aren't that advanced in Alberta yet.
Show me in the regs where it says I have to have a paper copy. Here's the pertinent section.

Alberta Sportfishing Licences
Requirements
An Alberta Sportfishing Licence is required to fish in Alberta by means of sportfishing (see Licences and Costs, page 14 and sportfishing definition, page 15). If you are under 16 years of age, an Alberta resident aged 65 or older, or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, you are not required to have a Sportfishing Licence, but you must follow sportfishing regulations.
Sportfishing Licences are not required when a person is sportfishing on a designated Free Fishing Weekend (see page 32).
Sportfishing Licences are available at private licence issuers throughout the province or online at albertarelm.com.
Licences must be carried at all times while sportfishing and transporting fish and must be presented immediately to an officer upon request.

No where does it say I have to have a paper copy. No where does it say I can't have an electronic copy. If you look at your actual licence what it does say is that it is not valid until it is signed. My licence is signed by my hand using a stylus. The reason a signature is required is to prevent others from using your licence and to make it a legally binding agreement. Electronic signatures are legally binding in Canada. Photo copies of a signature are not legally binding. You can make as many copies of a document as you like but only the copies containing a hand written signature would be considered legally binding.

So the facts are
1 the regulations do not state that a paper copy is required.
2 the regulations do not prohibit specifically an electronic copy
3 the regulations do state that my licence must be carried at all times but it does not state in what form
4 our regulations allow us to make copies of our licence as we see fit none of which are valid until signed
5 electronic signatures are legally binding in Canada
6 an electronic copy of a document electronically signed carries the same weight legally as a paper copy signed in ink

Your turn. You got anything resembling a reasonable argument to back up your claim?

Oh yeah I also have a signed copy uploaded to Gmail so I can retrieve it from any ones phone at any time providing I have cell coverage in the event my phone goes for a swim. This is as about as likely as me losing my tackle box

Last edited by TylerThomson; 01-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM

first off i print 4 copy's laminate them all and zip tie one in my boat put one in my truck and one in each tackle box.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:40 PM

we have to carry it?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-06-2014, 06:41 PM

one in the wallet, one in the tackle box, one in the fly vest. i always have my wallet on me too.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
we have to carry it?

haha haha nice one. I can hear the keyboards clacking already.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Show me in the regs where it says I have to have a paper copy. Here's the pertinent section.

Requirements
An Alberta Sportfishing Licence is required to fish in Alberta by means of sportfishing (see Licences and Costs, page 14 and sportfishing definition, page 15). If you are under 16 years of age, an Alberta resident aged 65 or older, or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, you are not required to have a Sportfishing Licence, but you must follow sportfishing regulations.
Sportfishing Licences are not required when a person is sportfishing on a designated Free Fishing Weekend (see page 32).
Sportfishing Licences are available at private licence issuers throughout the province or online at albertarelm.com.
Licences must be carried at all times while sportfishing and transporting fish and must be presented immediately to an officer upon request.

No where does it say I have to have a paper copy. No where does it say I can't have an electronic copy. If you look at your actual licence what it does say is that it is not valid until it is signed. My licence is signed by my hand using a stylus. The reason a signature is required is to prevent others from using your licence and to make it a legally binding agreement. Electronic signatures are legally binding in Canada. Photo copies of a signature are not legally binding. You can make as many copies of a document as you like but only the copies containing a hand written signature would be considered legally binding.

So the facts are
3 the regulations do state that my licence must be carried at all times but it does not state in what form
4 our regulations allow us to make copies of our licence as we see fit none of which are valid until signed
6 an electronic copy of a document electronically signed carries the same weight legally as a paper copy signed in ink

Your turn. You got anything resembling a reasonable argument to back up your claim?

Oh yeah I also have a signed copy uploaded to Gmail so I can retrieve it from any ones phone at any time providing I have cell coverage in the event my phone goes for a swim. This is as about as likely as me losing my tackle box
Geez...Once again....Officers discretion.....Good mood...OK....Bad mood...Maybe not ok...LOL
Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Banned

Hasn't failed me yet.

Also it is not an officers job to interpret our laws that's the job of the courts. So yes he could ticket me If he wanted to and I could contest it in court if I chose to. I'll bet you my auger I'd win based on how the laws are written. Officers are people to and capable of making mistakes. So far I've used it twice and in one instance when I told him it was on my phone he told me it wasn't valid unless signed. I showed it to him and then showed him how I can edit documents using my stylus. He chuckled and said he had never seen that one before and told me that he thought it pretty neat. Second time was a much younger guy and he looked at it and then asked me how the fishing was.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Haha great reponses! there is no shame in having a man purse.

Electronic copy is a good idea but I'm not gonna risk it in case I get a grumpy CO haha!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 PM

I put the license , win card , boat license everything as well as the wifes cards in a water proof plastic card holder and then into the tackle box.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 PM

My new Rapala jacket has a clear waterproof pocket in the left forearm (for a smartphone) I keep my license in there. I'll never misplace it or forget it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (24.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM

Wallet, always in my pocket or dry case when using kayak.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Requirements

So the facts are

Given that the government has not yet enabled a way for you to electronically sign and store the document, how do you think they have approved your revision to their process? You have manipulated the document to sign and store it, but it's not your process to vary. It isn't an Air Canada electronic boarding pass that the Airline enables you to use.

You say you haven't had any trouble. Have you actually shown your electronic copy when asked to produce? Sounds like this is a good question for the "Ask ESreD" section in AO Magazine.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Distant memory

I keep mine in my distant memory bank......lmao
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Default And

Quote:
Given that the government has not yet enabled a way for you to electronically sign and store the document, how do you think they have approved your revision to their process? You have manipulated the document to sign and store it, but it's not your process to vary. It isn't an Air Canada electronic boarding pass that the Airline enables you to use.

You say you haven't had any trouble. Have you actually shown your electronic copy when asked to produce? Sounds like this is a good question for the "Ask ESreD" section in AO Magazine.
What if the battery dies?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Banned

We supply guests with Lanyards and waterproof bags.
Works great! I don't think anyone forgot thier lic at the lodge this year.

Jamie
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

I said I used it twice 5 posts above yours. No biggie I'm guilty of skipping over stuff when I want to reply to something.

I haven't revised their process. As I stated earlier there is nothing in the law book against it. There also isn't anything staying I need a physical copy. The government provides all of us with am electronic copy I didn't make the document. The government requires you to sign said document a requirement I fulfilled. Signing for a parcel at the post office protected by federal law is much more serious than a boarding pass I air you and our very own government uses a device to collect electronic signatures which you have the option to opt out of and sign a papery copy should you choose to do so. All of my documentation including the incorporation of my company which is a provincial matter is signed electronically. The government also does not provide a way for me to electronically sign those documents either nor store them. I'm responsible for that in the same way I would be responsible to supply a pen and a filling system of some sorry if I chose to keep paper copies. You also state I have altered the document they have provided which also isn't true if I did I would be guilty of fraud and held liable if I was caught. I signed in the provided area. I didn't sleet the numbers or any other making on the document.

Your argument is invalid.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Agreed,

The biggest assumption and mistake this poster made is that he is assuming a copy of the "guide regulations booklet", which was cleverly cut and paste here, is an complete copy of the law in it's entirety ......... actually it is not.

This is a summary guide with only the highlights. There may be a section(s) describing a requirement to produce a licence and stipulations of what meets the criteria as an acceptable form of proof.

Second issue is, as you pointed out, this poster, unless he's the king of Canada, doesn't make, amend nor enforce the law and I'd like to see what happens to him if he was to present such a challenging, arrogant and empowered position to an officer in a bad mood and takes it to court all pumped up ......... only to have the law, in it's entirety uphold the fine.

I also like the challenge sent out to all other members on the forum after his "clever proclamation".......... that compelled me to post my reply ............

Maybe he's right .......... maybe not ...........

Good stuff.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
solid gold .........

there is nothing more entertaining that a guy flying off the handle ....... only to end up 100% wrong ...........

solid freaking gold .......

I hope he is correct ....... if not ....... blood in the water