Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Must be nice to have safe, non exciting commutes. I have one video saved of a young lady blowing a stop light in Red Deer, at close to 100 km/hr. She was late getting home for her sitter. Followed her all the way home.
Week later same thing with a young guy. Just in a hurry. There isn't a week that I don't have to dodge an accident. Someday I wonder why I try so hard to avoid them.

Don't want to be on YouTube, keep in mind there are lots of us running dashcams. My retirement plan involves your bad driving...keep it up.
Just wondering if you followed her home did that mean you were driving at 100 also?

When i hear someone say i have to avoid an accident every day or every we i allways wonder who the real problem in i live in Edmonton and I spend hours in my truck every day both day and night sometimes been doing that 10 years here now only had 2 minor collisions rear ended twice dented bumper both times. Can drive for months and month with out even having to swerve.

Mack
Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 PM

Well was hit head on in 2015, wish I had a camera, it would have saved me a lot of trouble, due to other driver trying to claim it was my fault, took a while to sort out.
Camera would have been nice
Old 06-25-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
Well was hit head on in 2015, wish I had a camera, it would have saved me a lot of trouble, due to other driver trying to claim it was my fault, took a while to sort out.
Camera would have been nice
Do you have now? Your kids? (if of age and driving)
Old 06-25-2017, 04:21 PM

My son phoned me from Lloydminster on his way home from work. He was let's say wound up.
He was heading South past Walmart on the 80 kph zone. A vehicle in front of him turned to go East, and some moron in a white SUV didn't brake, almost hit the vehicle turning in front of them then instantly went around them into the oncoming lane, right toward my son's bumper. Anyone with a brain would have taken the ditch, not go into the oncoming lane.
He just had time to jerk the wheel right into the ditch missing a power pole by inches. The SUV never even slowed down, but another vehicle saw this and gave chase. He was hung up on the running boards.
Another truck stopped and pulled him out of the ditch, in this instance he was ok, luckily damage to his truck was minimal.
That night I took him to Bestbuy, and bought him a dash cam. He does not ever drive without it.
Had he not swerved and hit the SUV head on, how many would have died? A camera would do nothing if they are all dead, other than show who was at fault.

The reason I bought it, was to show that he had no other choice, hit the person head on, or possibly roll in the steep ditch and smoke a power pole.

I called and asked our insurance agent about this. She said of course without credible witness or proof he would have been at fault, and can you imagine the cost of replacing a power pole in Lloydminster? She brought up the other reason there are so many ditch claims; swerving to miss a vehicle, animal, whatever. Without fur or a dead animal the RCMP or Insurance will go to their normal excuse, which is distracted driving or not paying attention.
With a camera, it is repair at no fault to the driver, 100% of the time.

DO NOT bother throwing in all the stupid what if what if what if crap, we are talking circumstances not hypothetical just because you want to fight.

If you don't see any value in a camera, do not buy 1. For us it is peace of mind. I am going to use any and everything at my disposal so I do not have to pay for someone else's stupidity or incidental costs when someone else is to blame.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My son phoned me from Lloydminster on his way home from work. He was let's say wound up.
He was heading South past Walmart on the 80 kph zone. A vehicle in front of him turned to go East, and some moron in a white SUV didn't brake, almost hit the vehicle turning in front of them then instantly went around them into the oncoming lane, right toward my son's bumper. Anyone with a brain would have taken the ditch, not go into the oncoming lane.
He just had time to jerk the wheel right into the ditch missing a power pole by inches. The SUV never even slowed down, but another vehicle saw this and gave chase. He was hung up on the running boards.
Another truck stopped and pulled him out of the ditch, in this instance he was ok, luckily damage to his truck was minimal.
That night I took him to Bestbuy, and bought him a dash cam. He does not ever drive without it. U
Had he not swerved and hit the SUV head on, how many would have died? A camera would do nothing if they are all dead, other than show who was at fault.

The reason I bought it, was to show that he had no other choice, hit the person head on, or possibly roll in the steep ditch and smoke a power pole.

I called and asked our insurance agent about this. She said of course without credible witness or proof he would have been at fault, and can you imagine the cost of replacing a power pole in Lloydminster? She brought up the other reason there are so many ditch claims; swerving to miss a vehicle, animal, whatever. Without fur or a dead animal the RCMP or Insurance will go to their normal excuse, which is distracted driving or not paying attention.
With a camera, it is repair at no fault to the driver, 100% of the time.

DO NOT bother throwing in all the stupid what if what if what if crap, we are talking circumstances not hypothetical just because you want to fight.

If you don't see any value in a camera, do not buy 1. For us it is peace of mind. I am going to use any and everything at my disposal so I do not have to pay for someone else's stupidity or incidental costs when someone else is to blame.

Not sure i understand the accident you are explaining what lane was the car turning and the suv in?

I have no issue with people using dash cams if they think they need one as long as they are used for the right reason. You watch you tube now and you can see people are getting confrontational because they have a camera and think that will protect them. Personally have not found a need.

Mack
Old 11-11-2017, 02:20 PM

I realize the thread is a bit older but I have a question before I pull the trigger on a dash camera.

Is there an advantage to having a screen on the forward facing dash cameras?

I see that expensive brands like Blackvue, just have the camera and and no screen.

Whereas some of the more reasonably priced camera have a screens. Any advantage or disadvantage?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:36 PM

The advantage is you can instantly see what the camera does without having to link to your phone. Disadvantage is they are bigger.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-11-2017, 02:57 PM

I like the screen. You can see what the picture looks like and can watch the videos right on the unit itself.

I love my DOD LS460W
Old 11-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Never needed one and I don't think I will need one anytime soon,

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM

don't need an endless record of me travelling 25k over the speed limit
Old 11-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
don't need an endless record of me travelling 25k over the speed limit
I disabled the speed reading on mine for this reason
Old 11-11-2017, 04:34 PM

I just have them for wildlife proof if I have to evade and hit the ditch/fence/tree or if someone hits me, for insurance purposes.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....