Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
This might be a good time to stick a fork in my neck.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:03 PM

Here's the simple OAC check for both of my 30/06's of each bullet I'll be using.

The straw will keep it lined up as I can feed the cleaning rod threw the straw too make sure that each bullet of "different weights" is just touching the lands.

I'll keep the test bullets too check for throat wear at the 2500 round count too see how the barrels are fairing.
Most of the completion F Class folks rebarrel at that stage.

Neet little tricks of keeping track of stuff.

I'll do the split case OAC as well since the numbers should pretty match up if the bullets seat too the lands correctly.

I'll run the cleaning rod down the barrel too mark it when up against the bolt face, then the bullet.

The 2 marks in between are the OAC of where the lands touch the bullet,,, then I'll set the bullet 5 too 10 thousand's off the lands,,, 20 for the Harvesting rounds.

Don at getting up too speed on what will hopefully improve things down range.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 AM

Ha, my bad as my noodle is taking on too much info at one time,,, I see the words I was looking for is COL,,, "Cartrage Over all Length."

Spent the evening doing load tests at the RMH range, now that I got my groups tightening up for my sportster Ruger, I can start to fine tune from there.

Lucky I get the whole weekend too put things together unit I change things up at a later date.
Hopefully we don't get the 70 mpr cross winds from last Tuesday. LOL.

This is one of the best ranges I've been to in many years as it has lots of room for load development, and rifle fine tuning.

Awesome set up as I enjoy my weekend doing my thing, meeting folks, and stepping up my game plan,,, this all this starts over once the Remmy project gets underway. Ha.

I might as well get 2 Jury barrels on order as I see that many of them are going too see some extra wear from days like this.

Good too have a few spares on hand when the time comes.

Don
Old 06-24-2017, 09:51 PM

Started off with 0.005 thou as I warmed up the barrel, I noticed pressure signs from the get go.

So I Re-check tho C.O.L. I found a more accurate way too do this by using tape on the cleaning rod as I bump it up too the barrel crown for a better reading.

Nice relaxing day at the range as only 2 other fellows showed up.

My grouping came together at 200 yards, so I jumped on the 400 yard target with a string of 15 rounds,,, then set-up at the 600 yard line for the rest of the day

My dial-up was a fraction low from the 400 yard too 600 mark, but easy too crank on a few more MOA's.

Spent the rest of the day chasing the wind poppers that were drifting on & off.

Not bad for a 18" sportster rifle as the BR bypods on the new Iron triangle resting plate keeps the optic bubble dead level from shoot too shoot placement.

Won't be long before I replete I the same thing with the Remmy Long Range as it will be in support of the Henry Remple bypod.

The grouping will be about the same, but it will be much easier to hold consistency with a proven system that will be easier too dial in.

Tomorrow will be the same as I try different powder charges too see if I can tighten things up a fraction more.

Don
Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 PM

Don, have you done anything to the trigger of that gun? I had a Ruger like that and the trigger was an absolute abomination that simply would not allow for consistent, accurate shooting.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Banned

Every trigger can be adjusted,you know that.

I believe Don knows.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Every trigger can be adjusted,you know that.

I believe Don knows.
Purgatory, you likely know this, but the M77 MKII is not a user friendly adjustable trigger. It can certainly be done, but it should be by a gunsmith, or someone who really knows what they are doing. It's not one to fool around with.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Purgatory, you likely know this, but the M77 MKII is not a user friendly adjustable trigger. It can certainly be done, but it should be by a gunsmith, or someone who really knows what they are doing. It's not one to fool around with.

Yes,but on a completely different point,eggs have always been used as a binder.

Be it burgers,meat lofts or baking.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Yes,but on a completely different point,eggs have always been used as a binder.

Be it burgers,meat lofts or baking.
Not in my burgers
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Banned

Don i will alway support your ventures.

I myself have fallen back to the 30-06,it's in conflict with the 308,only in speed.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 PM

Don, I support your ventures too.

However, if you are like Purgatory, I cannot in good conscience support eggs in hamburgers, unless it is a fried egg on top.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 AM

Yes, Robert set it back as far as he could by "spring only" as these M-77 triggers are none adjustable. Ha.

It was around 7 too unknown lbs pull at first, its around 2 ish now,,, "but" it has no creap and is very consisten on each firing...

It will always be a bush & plinking unit as the other rifle I'm building up is more designed for the up and coming F-Class shooting... Its wize too choose a rifle that is closer to target shooting then trying too turn a so so quality unit unto one...
At least I see it this way, and by no means would I say it can't be done.

The same funds going into the Remington 30/06 LR opposed to putting into the Ruger would easily turn it into a shooter, but it just didn't seem practical too do this since it was not realy specific built for F-Class stuff.

Neither is the factory Remmy LR, but at least its a fraction closer.

I wanted to do the Savage 110 F-Class rifle at $2300 ish CND funds, but I would have too wait for 4 too 6 months on top of work over above that.

So this is where things get interesting,,, "buy or build as the end dollar works out too the same give or take.

The nice thing about a build is I end up with a unit that will fit me like a glove,,, lucky my friend has done all the trial and error too knowing what fits closest to this build.

Any-who. I like what Mike Miller & Stan Peyt mentioned about getting the human element up too speed...

Pick a rifle that challenges your every shoot too shoot as it trains your pumpkin too set up the same every time,,, it has too happen because these so so rifles are unforgiving when distance comes into play.

Most of us see this once we get past the 400 yard range,,, 600 and beyond is when our mind set really kicks in...
Trying to be consistent off the ground is a must as everything has too be the same since factory hunting / sportster rifles are "kind of" unforgiving beyond the 600 mark. "Some are,,, not all."

Attention to details had my pumpkin working double over time yesterday as it will today.

This factory Ruger pushes my mental limits like no other rifle I've owned even after getting it glass bedded and a lighter trigger spring,,, the short barrle and 10 too 11 lb rifle offers challenges on every shot...

"This is good as it keeps me well focused."

Half that battle will be taken care of when the Remmy enters this picture as I "hope" that my mind is keen on knowing what is needed too get set-up correct from the get go.

Because this hunting rifle is not forgiving, it pushes me even further too make sure I pay "full" attention too my set-up as I have too do this if I want too even hit the paper.

Being on paper is a must since it shows neet worth.

Missing the target is one thing, missing the back drop is another.

Like the F-Class folks said from the get go...

"You have too at least hit the paper if you want to come out too play,,, this challange starts at 400 meters and only gets tuffer too do at the 5, 6, 7, 8, and 900 meters.

The V ring is small, so getting too it is the challange all the time.

So practic practic practic with any rifle is good as it helps us hone our inner skills,,, "at least mine that is."

The lower budget rifles make it even harder to push our limits, hopefully we are able too find the quarks that make it tick as we push its limits as well as our own.

The Ruger is what it is, but it has my mind on task till the Remmy LR project arrives.

Don
Old 06-25-2017, 08:51 AM

This sportster Odd-6 will not nor never be a compitition rifle in my years as I'm ok with it being a fun back-up unit too get me by.

Plinking, load development, and optic ranging at different ranges from 100 too 900 meters.

Let's say it will be like the test package that competent the soon too be other rifle,,, "test goat." LOL.
The best place for me too start is at the range.

Lots of reading, tinkering, learning, chatting with others and learning what best works for my self.
This is the best thing too show up in the quest too consistency.

That and many other things that bring this full package together.

Long distance shooting is fun, and learning the how it changes from shot too shot little lone from day too day is a art.

As I mentioned in the above posts,,, it will be a long road ahead, and learning how too do it on a constant bases is part of this mix.
Yes this group sucks goats milk, but that's too be expected at 600 yards from a normal everyday sportster rifle.

Each person who chooses pushes their own limits as far as they choose since its up too them if they want to take on a challange like this.

There will be road blocks along the way I'm sure, but that is life as such.

If things come at us easy, then what would be the point of trying.

Good times is what its all about for me.

Don
Old 06-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Banned

Don, I notice that you use black tape on your target to mark previous hits and extend the use of your target paper. I do likewise except that I purchased some little white price tag stickies from the dollar store. They're like a buck for a hundred or so. You can also make notes on the little white stickies. Just a hint that you may find useful. Good luck in your endeavor.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Lucky this genitalman had his on.
I've always had a hard time deciding what superpower I would want to have ............ until now.

Don, this has been an enjoyable thread. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:38 PM

I agree. Your enthusiasm, and get after it attitude is refreshing. Keep the pics and updates coming.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM

I'm wondering what powder might work better for the Hornady ELD-X-Hunters bullets.

Re-Loader RL-22, Hodgen H-4831 or H-4350,,, maybe IMR 4350.

The RL-22 is the slowest burn rate of the above if I'm correct, it's kinda in the mix for 30/06. It's pretty slow burn rate. It might not be wize too go this route.

I've been using IMR 4064 which is ok, but it dosen't work out for the compact loading,,, "compressed load" that is.

The Varget powder dosen't seem friendly with the 178/ 180gr as its geared more too the 150/ 165gr bullets.

What have you folks been using for compressed load powders in your field test and harvest.

Time has come too try a few smaller lots of powders too see it my grouping tightens up,,,

Semi compressed loads seems that they might be wize too consider trying

Open too ideas all.

Don
Old 06-26-2017, 10:29 AM

Don, this article is a very good starting point when you need to look for powders that work well with various cartridges. IT is a good read and a good reference, plus will answer the question you just asked.

http://www.tulprpc.org/attachments/F..._That_Work.pdf
Old 06-26-2017, 10:41 AM

If you like to experiment a bit, Hodgdon Hybrid 100v and Ramshot Hunter
might be worth a try with the 178 ELD-x.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Thanks all, I'm thinking H-4350 and IMR-4350 are pretty close in burn rate, not sure on the hybrid 100 till I check it out.

I'm hoping too get close too a semi compressed load with these 178's.

I'm guessing I'm getting sporadic "Flash burn" in the 30/06 cases using IMR-4064 and Varget as the those powders sit loose in the case even with these long bullets.

The plan is too get too semi compressed charge with the 180's as this same powder will get me more compression "if" I ever throw the 200gr bullets into the mix.

I'll surely look into the hybrid 100.

I've heard nothing but good about the H-4350 as it seems like a consistent powder with 30+ years and 3 change-ups in its life time too make it even more consistent.

Consistent burn rate, and compressed charge is deffinatly worth trying.

I'm game too try a few powders too find out if I can get those bullets touching one another at the 100 yard mark.

This goes with bullet and case weighing too.

Don at trying too find compressed loads in the 178gr bullet loads
Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 PM

I found out that this Varget is a real good powder for smaller cases as it really shines in them.

308, 6mm/243, and case capacity in that size,,, funny they listed it for 30/06 with different size bullets as it says on the jug its good for the 150gr'ers as I'll give it another run for its money.

If the down range results don't pan out, I'll boot the other 7 lbs in favour of a change more in line with the 178/ 180gr'ers.

I'll know more on my next outting.

Don
Old 07-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Yesterday I ran off a test batch of Hornady 178gr ELD-X Hunter bullets using H-4350 as things are "WAY BETTER." Ha.
I can see that this powder and an assortment of others that follow are the go-to propellents for the Odd-6.

The list of heavy bullets powders will be:
- Superperformance
- H 4350
- IMR 4350
- H 4831
- Norma MRP
- Hybrid 100v
- Ram shot
- And maybe RL powder #17 or #19.
These 178gr'ers will be for my soon too be in my hands Remmy Odd-6

Today's shooting will be the 150gr'ers for the Sporster Ruger M-77.

Tests loads of IMR 4064 & Varget since they claim it works for these mid light bullets.
Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Happy Canada Day all as we still live in one of the best countries on this planet.

Dam lucky we are since things could be much worse then what other countries are struggling with in todays age of things.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-01-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 PM

Finding first stage "Nood" made simple.

Lucky too meet up with reloading dude Vick today.

First place accurate "Nood" is + or - from the recommend factor load of each bullet for each rifle.

So in my case, a old school factory load from the stone-ages for the 180gr bullets was 2450 ft-per second.

So load the power change too best hit the feet per second based on the factory rifle they used... So if my rifle will not produce the ft-per second, then too bad.

Example might look like this :

180gr 30/06 mild ground is 2450 ft-per second, so load a string and blast away. "check grouping."

Load next 2 stings keeping everything the same same less 1 spring .5gr up @& the other .5 down.

Shoot both strings and check grouping.
Which ever group looks the best, then keep adding .5gr until the string falls apart.

Out off the 5 too 7 groups pick the tightest of them and test once more too confirm.

If this group matches the first of its kind then your onto a good thing / if not, pick the next best grouping from the mix and re-test.

Once the re-test group shows up consistent with first group, then do the .2gr + / - from that powder charge too fine tune.

Once it's fine tuned come a little simple easy test too see if the group increases above or bellow the 1/4" tightening up or spreading out.

This is with the powder change that holds the tightest group as this primer change only will improve or not the group.

Try 2 different kinds of primers for chiz's and giggles.
In most cases of doing the simple primer thing seem that a lager % of this finds that,,,

A, the primer your using is the best.
B, a different thrown into the mix primer tightened things up.

C, A person won't know until one tries.

So find tightest group by powder by .5gr fast track followed by .2gr fine tune.

Do the different primer test, now we're in line for the COL thing. Ha.

Old school Vick said too follow the factory ft-per second too find the simple easy "Nood" as the next Noods of higher ft-per second will be above that.

Start off with the factory "Nood" first, then go after the rest of the others after that.

Simple, easy fast since all cartrages of many for each caliber have a factory ft-per second, Vick suggested that it's most likely the easiest too start here since the weight of grain bullet from the factory is "normally" a proven.

It's up too us as reloaders too fine tune from there.

Learn as I go at keeping it simple.

Don
Old 07-04-2017, 08:18 PM

Lots of little re-loading trinkets are coming my way too improve my ammo quality.

It "hopefully" will limit alot of possibilities of case & neck tensions & aliments things that happens in the "full length sizing process. I had some of this stuff back in my firearms days as I thinned it out over the years as I entered the archery sport.

Now I get a chance to refresh the inventory,,, and lots of ammo inventory at the same time.

All win win as I'm taking on the cartrage case stuff along with bullet specs too asort them into their user groups.

I did this back in my magnum rifle days, so time to up the game plan for the old school Odd-6 as it will "hopefully" improve consistency across the board.

The 178gr load development is showing promising results, I'll continue to build off of that in my load development #1 with the IMR-4064,,, then start on the H-4831 test #2.

Nothing like finding the best between the two powders,,, a few test primers on top of that.

Lots of reading as I check info on 2 other rifle powders too follow.

Don

PS: The sporster Ruger likes launching the 178gr rounds at recommended 2450 ft-per second by book,,, some where around 2380 ish from the short barrle.

I'm sure the 26" Remmy will show better results above that. This of coures is Nood #1... There are others above that with more ft-lbs energy that need checking out later on.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-04-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Don, there is no nood, it's node.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:31 PM

LOL. Yes "Node."
Old 07-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Yuppers, supply chain of trinkets are coming my way.

Just the small simple stuff too improve the re-loading category, my ammo tech guy suggestion of things that work for him would most likely work for me.

At least in the starting phase of 1.20 before jumping into re-loader category 2.20. LOL

I guess I'm on the Hornady 178gr diet as it only costs a fraction more than doing the 150's or 165's.
Buying bulk saves mega bucks since another fellow has now become another good friend too add to my list of supplier friends.
Found 200 rounds Lapua brass. I'll need to get keen on taking care of it.

Picked up some H-4831 as it made the list of powders for the 175gr bullet along with the 200gr'er,,, funny that it was not in the 180gr category in the book.
At least it's worth the try.

The long range Remmy is in its final stages. Good times are soon too follow.

Don
Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM

I found these gems at a very frugal price.

With today's lead removal dope, I can switch back to jacket boolitz in the matter of minutes.

Nothing wrong with shopping Canadian, and getting the cost into the 20% ish range.

These boolitz are custom manufactured by folks that have been at this for many years.
They have it too a science which will improve my general plinking and fire forum my cases at the same time.

Low grain filler changes will allow for a 1 lb can too last a long long time.

Frugal ways when needed that adds value too everything out-doors.

Don
Old 07-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Is that the 30cal 165gr bullet?
Will you be using a gas check?
Old 07-06-2017, 10:28 AM

If you decide to go after elk, moose, grizzlies(?). Handload some 200gr Nosler Partitions (or 200gr Nosler Accubonds) and go get 'em.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker