Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 PM

Default Youth Compound Bow

My 12 year old son has outgrown his recurve and wants to get into a compound setup. Can some of you diehard archery guys suggest a few places where someone can take a look a some decent LH youth compounds in the Calgary area. I have already posted a WTB add in buy and sell but would look at some shops that carry used if someone in the know could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 PM

Jimbo's......maybe wholesale?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Default Cac

The Calgary Archery Center has a rack of youth bows. I am not too sure about left hand models though. My 11 year old shoots a Bear Apprentice and loves it. They run about 300 for the package. The new ones go to 60 lbs so it will last a long time. There is also the Diamond Razor Edge and Hoyt Ruckus to consider there.
Bass pro has a few youth bows as well. I know they also carry diamond and they have the Parker ,Sidekick I believe is the youth now they have.

All the youth compounds I have seen come in a package with decent bows and pretty crappy accessories that you will probably end up replacing over time.

Or doing like I did and up grad your gear and pass your old stuff down to your son!

Good luck I love shooting with my boys hope you can find something in a Lefty Without too much hassle
Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM

ask for cory @ cutting edge in chauvin, great guy super helpful, my son also started with the "wamart special" recurve the to a very low end (walmart again) compound but graduated to a diamond edge 19-30# compound and quickly outgrew that, bumped to the diamond edge 30-60# should last him years!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 PM

I was in Calgary archery center yesterday. They have a left hand bear apprentice in stock. In right hand they have the Hoyt ruckus, diamond razor edge, and the mission craze, which I didn't mention before so at least you could get a look at those.

Be careful if your boy shoots that bear you may end up having to either buy it or pry it from his hands. My boy sure loves his, good luck!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM

look at the mission craze package.. they are adjustable from 15-70lb draw weight and 19-30 inch draw length.. made by mathews so good bows and price is right at $479.99 with package on it.. i sell a tonn of them
Rob
Old 08-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Lightbulb

Jimbos
Old 08-11-2012, 03:13 PM

I talked to Calgary Archery and then settled on a LH PSE Stinger 3G package. It came with everything but a release and arrows for $399.00. Thanks to everyone for the help and advise he has been shooting it all day since he got it.