Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Default Using drone for mule deer hunting. Outfitter in southern alberta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BBr8hW7Nw

This can't be legal. Watch the first 2 mins of video .
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway mike View Post

I dont see what the issue is
Old 08-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Using drones for hunting is definitely illegal.

That said, it looks like they were just using them to get footage for their video rather than as part of a hunt. Unless I missed something?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:35 PM

I think they used the drone to get some pre-footage for their show. Didn't seem to be harassing the wildlife and as long as they are not using to locate and hunt the deer, no real issue.

I am not sure if the same rules apply and there is a required amount of time after a flight that you can not legally the same area.

But a show like "Tim Wells" was most likely in contact with F&W prior to any activities like the use of a drone, but maybe not.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:47 PM

Cool footage. Would like to get a drone to get video of wildlife from above.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 PM

There was no drone footage while they were hunting so I don't see any issue. I don't think there's anything illegal about just filming wildlife with a drone while not hunting.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway mike View Post

What makes you think it's illegal? Nothing wrong there. Watch just about every hunting show nowadays, drones used all the time to capture setup footage....
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM

I loved the video. Good stuff
Old 08-20-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

Default Them Basters

This video gives an excellent description of how wildlife use crop land for protection.

Now this crop land is going to be soaked in chemical to kill plants and animals (bugs and worms) .

If the chemical is applied with an aircraft, the animal will be coated, especially unprotected surfaces like eyes and the muzzle area.

If the chemical is applied by a land travelling sprayer it may be alarmed sufficiently to avoid a top spraying of the animal.

If the alarmed animal flees through recently sprayed crop it will be getting a coating many times more then the application rate recommended for the crop.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
This video gives an excellent description of how wildlife use crop land for protection.

Now this crop land is going to be soaked in chemical to kill plants and animals (bugs and worms) .

If the chemical is applied with an aircraft, the animal will be coated, especially unprotected surfaces like eyes and the muzzle area.

If the chemical is applied by a land travelling sprayer it may be alarmed sufficiently to avoid a top spraying of the animal.

If the alarmed animal flees through recently sprayed crop it will be getting a coating many times more then the application rate recommended for the crop.
I haven't even seen the video yet, but the sad fact is that farmers kill many deer fawns and elk calves when they are swathing. Doe's and cow's leave the young in fields to hide from predators, and they don't move even when tractor is right on them.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 AM

They used it to video big bucks in the area and went to another place where they thought a big one night be after seeing a pile of big bucks,dream on,iilegal as far as the eye can see,plus illegal to have one to look around during the hunting season and the next day you bag a trophy,if I am wrong go buy one and get at it .
Old 08-21-2017, 12:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i haven't even seen the video yet, but the sad fact is that farmers kill many deer fawns and elk calves when they are swathing. Doe's and cow's leave the young in fields to hide from predators, and they don't move even when tractor is right on them.
lol
Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 AM

I watched the whole thing,
Forgot about the first 2 min, nice hunt.

TBark
Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post

What does this comment have to do with drone camera footage? Feel free to start a new thread about it, why hijack a thread with an opinion that is not related at all to the specific topic.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
They used it to video big bucks in the area and went to another place where they thought a big one night be after seeing a pile of big bucks,dream on,iilegal as far as the eye can see,plus illegal to have one to look around during the hunting season and the next day you bag a trophy,if I am wrong go buy one and get at it .
We have no idea of the time between the video and the hunt. Actually I believe the video was taken by the someone else the year previous or sometime after the hunt was complete. If you look at the video there is a shot of 2 Elk and 2 shots of the same mule deer from 2 different angles. These 3 animals have hard antlers. If you then look at the first animal they attempted a stalk on it was in velvet. If you continue to watch the video, every Mulie they see is in velvet.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:57 AM

The first sentence or two was the buck on the hill,if he was bigger I would go after him,if he would have left that out,good video,either way he is an out fitter with drone,i guide and you have one in camp your got problems,like I said ,I maybe wrong so go buy one and get at it,enjoy,
Old 08-21-2017, 09:30 AM

I agree no harm no foul. Just using them to film intro to show. If we saw those shots on a National Geographic special, nobody would think anything, certainly not worry about harassing animals.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 AM

I don't own a drone nor do I have any interest in owning one. Out of curiosity though does anyone have a reference in the regs or somewhere else where the rules are stated in regards to the use of drones for videoing wildlife and the legalities of hunting as it relates to drone usage.

Like I said, I have no skin in the game so I haven't researched this topic. I would have assumed the laws would be similar to hunting on the same day you fly over an area in a small plane.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:45 AM

That's kind of correct. It's outright called out in point #3 in the General Regs, Use of Aircraft section at the bottom.

http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/genregs.html
Old 08-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
lol
Why the lol??? My dad ran over a mulie fawn swathing hay one year...went straight to the house, got a .22 and put it out of it's misery...sat and cried right after...will never forget seeing that.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

Lot's of canadian thistle and windmill's ... not much else .
Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
lol
I don't understand why you think fawns and calfs being killed or maimed by farm machinery is funny. I was simply pointing out a sad fact about another danger that animals that hide in grain fields are exposed to besides pesticides.
Nothing funny about it at all
Not very good for a lot of waterfowl that also build nests in fields quite a distance from water bodies either.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why you think fawns and calfs being killed or maimed by farm machinery is funny. I was simply pointing out a sad fact about another danger that animals that hide in grain fields are exposed to besides pesticides.
Not very good for a lot of waterfowl that also build nests in fields quite a distance from water bodies either.
Because bobalong has a weird love crush for landowners, and any accurately pointed out facts are in his eyes a personal slap in the face for whatever reason
Old 08-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Banned

I finally got to see the video that started this thread. I liked the video, and thought it was very nicely filmed. Pretty good commentary and no stupid hard rock music drowning out the commentary or sounds of nature.
I don't see what the OP is upset about. Yes the filmer used a drone for some great footage of S AB, but it wasn't obvious that he used a drone to help spot then stalk his prey. Did he use a drone for that purpose? I doubt we'll ever know. I think its just another example of how technology is making it easier for hunters and tougher on the animals. I'm sure it will just keep getting better (or worse) depending on how you look at it.
2 things come to my mind after watching this vidieo
... I would never walk in barefeet through a field of thistle.
...Could you use a drone to help find an animal that has been shot? I think it's a dumb law that makes it illegal to use a dog to help find a shot big game animal that you can't locate, and I think using a drone should be legal to help find a downed animal. Not sure what the regs are on the use of a drone to find your animal, but it's probably illegal.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I finally got to see the video that started this thread. I liked the video, and thought it was very nicely filmed. Pretty good commentary and no stupid hard rock music drowning out the commentary or sounds of nature.
I don't see what the OP is upset about. Yes the filmer used a drone for some great footage of S AB, but it wasn't obvious that he used a drone to help spot then stalk his prey. Did he use a drone for that purpose? I doubt we'll ever know. I think its just another example of how technology is making it easier for hunters and tougher on the animals. I'm sure it will just keep getting better (or worse) depending on how you look at it.
2 things come to my mind after watching this vidieo
... I would never walk in barefeet through a field of thistle.
...Could you use a drone to help find an animal that has been shot? I think it's a dumb law that makes it illegal to use a dog to help find a shot big game animal that you can't locate, and I think using a drone should be legal to help find a downed animal. Not sure what the regs are on the use of a drone to find your animal, but it's probably illegal.
Until the animal is recovered, you are still hunting.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 PM

And they may have taken the aerial footage after the tags were filled.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nice try, but you know that is not what I meant. I have been hunting for about 45 years in a rural area with lots of friends and relatives who farm. I have been on this site for 10 years and you know how many fawns and calves I have heard or read were run over by farm machinery........not one with the exception of the one a member posted on this thread.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

i thought they had to be 75m away from animals it looked like they were less than 10 from the geese and 20-30 from the mule deer

*correction*

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/trans...mals-1.3501659

they removed that. still may have been illegal at the time
Old 08-21-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I think he's laughing because you admitted that you hadn't even bothered to look at the video in question, yet are pontificating on it. And the video has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

Ditto Hoyt.

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-21-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nice try, but you know that is not what I meant. I have been hunting for about 45 years in a rural area with lots of friends and relatives who farm. I have been on this site for 10 years and you know how many fawns and calves I have heard or read were run over by farm machinery........not one with the exception of the one a member posted on this thread.
Yeh, well don't feel bad. I had never heard of someone being killed by an escapee from a Bison ranch until yesterday. I was surprised that I had never heard about that, just like I'm surprised that someone with your experience has never heard about fawns and calfs being hit in the fields by farm machinery. It's not that uncommon.