Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 10:25 PM

Smile Best Binocular for budget

Not too sure if this has been discussed lately, I am looking at purchasing a new bino for my wife. That being said, I would like to keep it to around 3-400.00 range.
Does anyone have experience with the Cabelas brand, who makes equipment for them. I have read, and seen that their warranty is not as nice as the Vortex,Burris or Steiners, but, are they as good or even worth it when we can find these other top brands on sale and within budget.

Im not looking for anyones idea of which is best, I know we all have our own preferences...just the facts.

Yes I do know that Swarovsky or leuphold and Zeiss are really nice, but lets be real, anything over 600.00 we be scared to take it outta the box and scratch it.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:24 AM

check out the bushnell legend ultra hd you can get them on amazon for around 300 and they are fantastic for the money.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:14 AM

I'd scoop up those Vortex Vipers listed on here in the optics forum. I have no horse in this race but those are nice binds. I'd also check out Nikons in that price range.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-20-2017, 04:55 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=16078018

More info than you can use on the topic.

I vote Nikon in the Budget area as well. They are almost as good as my Leica for a lot less money. To my eyes and those of my 2 hunting partners that own Vortex, they are much better than Vortex too.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:43 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=298739

I got some excellent info when I was looking for mid range bino
Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Picked up a pair of leupold bx-2 Acadias this year at wholesale for 30% off. Regular $359.00, looks like cabelas has them on sale right now too, starting at $229.00, I'm happy with mine! Nice and light, and super clear. Lens covers suck though. Hope you find what you're looking for!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:48 AM

Vortex Diamondback 10x42s
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 AM

Vortex viper HD. 90% of Swarovski performance, 50% of the price. I don't hunt sheep or goats so it's a compromise I can happily live with.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:40 AM

I run the Leupold Acadias as well and am happy with them for the price point.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroaderTodd View Post
Not too sure if this has been discussed lately, I am looking at purchasing a new bino for my wife. That being said, I would like to keep it to around 3-400.00 range.
Does anyone have experience with the Cabelas brand, who makes equipment for them. I have read, and seen that their warranty is not as nice as the Vortex,Burris or Steiners, but, are they as good or even worth it when we can find these other top brands on sale and within budget.

Im not looking for anyones idea of which is best, I know we all have our own preferences...just the facts.

Yes I do know that Swarovsky or leuphold and Zeiss are really nice, but lets be real, anything over 600.00 we be scared to take it outta the box and scratch it.
I had three different people (avid hunters) look through four different pairs of binoculars in your price range +/- and all three of us made a different choice. I then asked 4 different ladies to come out on the deck and try them out and each of them choose the lightest model I offered them to look through. Two of them (my wife and daughter) changed their minds when they looked again at dusk but each chose a different pair.

The fact is that everyone's eyes are slightly different as is the size of our hands and arm strength. The best binoculars are the ones that you (or in this case your wife) enjoy using and have with you because you enjoy carrying them.

Another fact is that most everything in your price range is going to be partly or completely manufactured in China regardless of the brand name. The factors are design, quality control, warranty and price. You are exactly right in that Cabelas is extremely lacking on the warranty side when it comes to binoculars. You can get the same or better for a lower price with a lifetime warranty.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly is their intended use. Glasses for bush hunting have little in common with a quality pair of mountain binoculars or even a good set for spot and stock on the prairies.

I am a bush hunter and got by for many years with a mid range pair of 8x25 that I carried comfortably in an inside pocket. I like to shoot big mature bucks but number of points and actual score is not a factor. I could safely identify my target and beyond with these and that is all I used them for. As I am getting older, I recently upgraded to a better set 8x36 with ED glass but they are still mid range and more than adequate.

Of the ones you mentioned, I would look at the Vortex. Cabelas has the Talon 8x32 HD on for 399 save 200 dollars. Not a fan of their scopes but the optics on everything I have looked through has been good and a good warranty.

Nikon has some really nice small framed binoculars with an excellent warranty on paper although I have read of some issues with them honouring the warranty. The Prostaff 7s are impressive for the price as are the older Monarchs. The new Monarch 7s have moved out of your price range.

I owned and really liked the Leupold Cascades. I have not been keeping track of the latest changes but mine were made in Japan and of excellent quality. At the top of your budget 399 with an excellent warranty. A buddy kept bugging me to sell them to him until finally I did. I had another pair I liked more and had just purchased these because they were such a good deal on Kijiji. If they were the only binoculars I owned, I would have just kept and used them as nothing bothered me in the least about them.

You should also check out some lesser heard of brands in the hunting community. Celestron and ZenRay are well rated on the birding forums and those guys are picky about optics.

Having said all that, I went with the Bushnell Ultra Legend HD. They have the Prime ED glass just like the top of the line Elite models and are backed by a no fault, no questions asked lifetime warranty. Even though they were among the lowest priced models I considered, I couldn't find anything I liked more for under $1000.

My son has had the Bushnell Excursion since he was a kid and they are surprising clear as well. I purchased them in 2008 and last year decided to try the warranty out as the focus wheel was getting a little sloppy. I received the new and latest HD model in the mail in less than 2 weeks for a $15 dollar handling fee. These are stupidly clear for the price point and would be more than adequate for the majority of outdoorsman.

You should try to get her to try as many brands and models as possible. Also try different examples of the same model if possible. Most every set of mid range binoculars has weak spots in the glass or they wouldn't be mid range. I picked up two pairs of Monarch 7s of the same power. One set was near perfect and the other had more edge distortion than a $30 set of Tasco.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

A hint...I supply bino's to the EPS and ALERT for surveillance.
They have some Swarovski's and a few of the Canon Image Stabilized but mostly use Nikon because for the buck they have the best resolution and low light capability.
A couple years back I wanted a pair of good bino's and tested Swarovski, Leica and Nikon. Decided on the Nikon Monarch 5 in 10x42. Could see very little difference between them and the high end, they have a lifetime warranty and I used the money saved for other things.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 AM

I have a bad habit of buying binoculars so I have a few and would rate them in this order.

Leupold mojave
Swarovski SLC
Cabelas brand
Vortex diamondback
Nikon monarch 3

Biggest bang for the buck is by far the cabelas brand. I think I got them on sale for 229 and they are noticeably better than the vortex and nikons. I think when I bought them they were made by Burris, not sure if that's still the case. All are 10x42. In my opinion vortex is over rated and the Nikon's are terrible image quality, I'm sure the monarch 5's are better.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
I have a bad habit of buying binoculars so I have a few and would rate them in this order.

Leupold mojave
Swarovski SLC
Cabelas brand
Vortex diamondback
Nikon monarch 3

Biggest bang for the buck is by far the cabelas brand. I think I got them on sale for 229 and they are noticeably better than the vortex and nikons. I think when I bought them they were made by Burris, not sure if that's still the case. All are 10x42. In my opinion vortex is over rated and the Nikon's are terrible image quality, I'm sure the monarch 5's are better.
The Cabelas Outfitter Series was made by Steiner according to the research I did on a pair I had. They were better than okay but not quite my cup of tea.

The Euro versions were made by Meopta IIRC and also excellent glass.

Cabelas needs to step it up on the warranty coverage. IIRC they offer 10 years with a receipt on some and only a year or two on others. No fault lifetime is becoming the norm for most decent glass these days.