Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I would say that unless the magpies are fledglings, once you kill one, you will not soon get another opportunity to kill one with that same setup.

I think that adult magpies are not all that alarmed by movement or noise or even the gun but they have the unique ability to sense when they are in danger. If one wants to get rid of a few magpies you may get a few with a pellet gun. The more productive way is to leave an unwatched trap.
For sure.
I need to build an trap.
I friend of mine has been getting them with a rat trap on a post.
Shooting them on a bait pile works but not in the summer.
I leave a rib cage 75 yards out from the house in the fall just for some shooting fun.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:38 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Well I give members on here more credit than you do.
I don't believe that anyone on here is not aware that a pellet or arrow to the eye is going to hurt or that they are not aware of the law of shooting in town.
I do believe that reciting obvious laws is only self serving to those who have self esteem issues.
Just because a person is a member here does not automatically make them super safe

I was pointing out the reason these laws are the in effect , not because I am self serving or gave self esteem issues .
Two of the injuries I am familiar with were ricochets after the fact , the gun was not pointed in the direction of the injured person .
Carry on however and have a great day
Cat
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Many people are helped on AO by other members educating others about various laws. Kinda sad you cant see that. And shooting in cities is not a great way to advance our sport especially when there are laws against it.

Your second quote last line, is just kinda sad if you really feel that way. And it is surprising what laws people are not aware of.
I think we can all agree that the OP has been warned. Apparently quite a few of us are incapable of getting past the warning part, which has been well covered to say the least, and get on with posting anything otherwise relevant to this thread.

Don't do anything stupid, got it... now do any of our legal experts have some info on pellet guns or not?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I think we can all agree that the OP has been warned. Apparently quite a few of us are incapable of getting past the warning part, which has been well covered to say the least, and get on with posting anything otherwise relevant to this thread.

Don't do anything stupid, got it... now do any of our legal experts have some info on pellet guns or not?
Looks like OP got some pretty good advice from both aspects. And I got rid of my pellet rifle. So nope, nothing further to add.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 08-19-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
This x 2. One cannot be waving such items about inside city limits in this day and age, consider what such a visit from LE would do to your PAL status..... there are many magpie trap threads and so far as squirrels go there has to be many way to trap them as well; I've even had them in my magpie trap twice. Just yesterday some twit was arrested in a NE McDonalds who was carrying a paintball gun that to the uninitiated would look like what the press loves to call an 'assault rifle', a citizen was wrestling with the guy because of it. (turns out the guy arrested for the paintball gun had some crack, meth, pot and heroin on him, fair to say he had more than a 'replica' gun problem)
Against the law to discharge a projectile in the city limits
Old 08-20-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Against the law to discharge a projectile in the city limits
Thanks for that update.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:25 PM

I have a Beeman( formerly Sheridan) that is accurate and can be pumped up for rabbits .
You can get a peep sight and scope mounts for them as well
Cat
Old 08-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have a Beeman( formerly Sheridan) that is accurate and can be pumped up for rabbits .
You can get a peep sight and scope mounts for them as well
Cat
They have been around for a long time but not commonly seen in stores.
They seem to be pretty good quality.
Didn't they make a 20cal when everyone else was sticking to 177 and 22?
Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Banned

Last week I picked up , on separate occasions, two pell guns from CT. One was .177, the other .22. Tried grouping with iron sites and then mounted the scopes at 25yds, on sand bags. My groups were that of a shotgun....WTH !!!
Both under 500fps and could be returned....and they were
Over that fps, they have a no return policy.....
What kind of money does one have to spend to get accuracy..????
Old 08-20-2017, 09:51 PM

Bad groups with both open sights and with a scope?
Strange, usually the cheaper/slower ones give decent accuracy.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Banned

If you do not use the correct scope your results could be off.

Most bushnell scopes are compatible with air rifles,i used an older bausch and lomb.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:04 AM

I know that in our city, you "CANNOT" discharge anything, including a slingshot, pellet gun, or anything that discharges a projectile. Not saying it is right, but that is the law.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=purgatory.sv;3607202]If you do not use the correct scope your results could be off.
In both cases, the scopes were those provided with the rifle, so one has to assume they were for air rifles
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Last week I picked up , on separate occasions, two pell guns from CT. One was .177, the other .22. Tried grouping with iron sites and then mounted the scopes at 25yds, on sand bags. My groups were that of a shotgun....WTH !!!
Air rifles are like firearms in that they have a preference for certain pellets. Certain types, weights and diameters will shoot much better than others. The better quality pellets also tend to offer the best accuracy, as some of the cheap pellets are made to pretty loose tolerances. Springer type air rifles can also be quite sensitive to how you hold them.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
They have been around for a long time but not commonly seen in stores.
They seem to be pretty good quality.
Didn't they make a 20cal when everyone else was sticking to 177 and 22?
Yup , .20 cal is what I used in the early 60's, and mine is a .20 as well
Bolt action with a thumb safety.
They make a .22 as well now.
Don't use it like I thought I would, I just grab my Stevens Favorite if I need to.
Cat
Old 08-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Banned

xx

Last edited by purgatory.sv; 08-21-2017 at 08:08 AM. Reason: double
Old 08-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

In both cases, the scopes were those provided with the rifle, so one has to assume they were for air rifles[/QUOTE]

With what you have said about your experience i will look at other vendors if i make another purchase.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Suspended User

We use an air rifle from Princess Auto. Grizzly 22.
The thing I like about it, was how easy it was to increase the airspeed. There is a hole drilled into the air chamber to slow the pellet down. I disassembled it cleaned the grease off, and filled the hole with JB Weld. Could spot weld it too.
What I don't like about it, is the rear sight hits the stock when you break it open. It takes a bit of work to remove the plastic where that hits. We installed a Bass Pro scope on it.
Turns out that the neighbors hate the crows and Magpies just as much. After a few years of sniping, we now have songbirds.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
I have found a lot of wiggle where the break point is. I had to put thin shims in. I used metal from a can lid to stop the slop. Now my cheap rifle is deadly.
Break the rifle and see how much play there is side to side. I found the end of the barrel moved a half inch.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
How windy was it, and what is your idea of shotgun groups?
At 25yds a sub 500fps air gun will shoot 2-3" groups if it is gusty.
In no wind (or at least a steady light breeze) 1" is still pretty good.
If you are hoping to stack pellets into one hole at that distance with a sub 500fps gun it isn't going to happen shooting outdoors unless their is absolutely no wind.
And as Cat says airguns are extremely ammo picky.
One of the most consistent for sub 500fps guns are the J&B Exact https://www.dlairgun.com/Pellets/JSB/
Here's how pick they are...if you look at the link supplied the .177 Calibre 8.4gr are available in 3 skirt sizes. In my Slavia the 4.51mm will put 5 shots in one hole at 10m...the 4.52mm put them into an inch...same pellet except for the skirt size.
Most airgun sites will recommend you purchase an airgun with decent reviews and then about 10 different brands of pellets to find the most accurate.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

Good information,i tried all gamo had to offer,looking at your link it appears they use simulated branding?

Thank you for the description of the skirt.