Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 07:10 PM

Default Hunting Bison Outside Zama & Ronald Lake Areas

Just curious about bison hunting outside of the lottery draw
Right from Alberta wilderness website

"Other than a public health advisory issued in 1992 “urging anyone handling, processing, and consuming potentially diseased bison to take precautions” it is open season on these animals."
https://albertawilderness.ca/2015-04...-not-wildlife/

Has anyone went out and hunted bison in the #5 Wenzel/Wabasca area in WMU 534? Or even seen bison in 534 venturing out from the parks? Or is it possible the Zama herd crossing the Hay River in the winter then they are no longer protected and open to hunt without a tag.

Even WMU 540 south of the Peace River

Last edited by BorealBucks; 08-14-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 PM

turbo Mulcher did one about 8 years ago.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Have a read, to the best of my knowledge that loophole was closed.

https://protrain.hs.llnwd.net/e1/sit...ept%202016.pdf
Old 08-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Have a read, to the best of my knowledge that loophole was closed.

https://protrain.hs.llnwd.net/e1/sit...ept%202016.pdf
yes the loophole of ronald lake #4 on the map. #5 on the map is open season for them, In northern alberta outside of Provincial & National Park, Zama & Ronald Lake bison are not considered "wildlife" & therefore not protected in the wildlife act & you can shoot anytime. Even the WBNP herd is not counted towards the bison population of Canada. https://albertawilderness.ca/2015-04...-not-wildlife/

By my title "Hunting Bison Outside Zama & Ronald Lake Areas" i meant not hunting in or near those two areas where the bison are protected

Last edited by BorealBucks; 08-14-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:41 PM

Good to know. I've got a cousin that's shot them before, when he wanted to go last year I told him it was closed. I'm glad I was wrong.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Good to know. I've got a cousin that's shot them before, when he wanted to go last year I told him it was closed. I'm glad I was wrong.
Yep, we tried hunting bison in 535 and 540 2 years ago while also hunting for Elk. Never saw one ourselves, but met another fellow that harvested a nice young bull. I posted the pic here on AO at the time.
I understood that pretty well the whole province is open season for bison except for the WMU's that require a tag. At the same time, if you shoot a bison in most parts of AB, chances are it is an escapee from a park or a farm and you will have a lot of explaining to do to both F&W and Agriculture Canada.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:33 PM

Scuttlebutt I got is to beware of the Natives if you do go. A lot of entitlement there and they're not above intimidation or vandalism.

Grizz
Old 08-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Banned

the same entitlement is shown by many here. It's even worst when you run into someone on private land where they thinj theyre the only ones allowed to hunt the land.

I got yelled and screamed at and accused of trespassing last year by a truck load of locals.... man were they mad that I beat them to the moose and got even madder when i said i lived in edmonton.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:51 AM

There are occasionally Buffalo shot in the #5 area. But be warned, the only road in that area is one that goes to the few native reserves. If they find your truck parked there, they assume that you are hunting "their" bison, and it will get wrecked. Bullets through the engine, radiator or tires. And this isn't something that has happened just once.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:29 PM

thanks, thats what im worried about.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Yep, we tried hunting bison in 535 and 540 2 years ago while also hunting for Elk. Never saw one ourselves, but met another fellow that harvested a nice young bull. I posted the pic here on AO at the time.
I understood that pretty well the whole province is open season for bison except for the WMU's that require a tag. At the same time, if you shoot a bison in most parts of AB, chances are it is an escapee from a park or a farm and you will have a lot of explaining to do to both F&W and Agriculture Canada.
You don't have to explain nothing if they are trespassing on private land , escapees get shot all the time on private land.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
You don't have to explain nothing if they are trespassing on private land , escapees get shot all the time on private land.
It's about the only to catch them.

Grizz
Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
So in effect you are saying that if a neighbors cow or horse gets out of their home field and strays onto your property you can legally shoot it? Same thing when a bison that strays off the bison ranch? I'm not sure your allowed to do that.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
So in effect you are saying that if a neighbors cow or horse gets out of their home field and strays onto your property you can legally shoot it? Same thing when a bison that strays off the bison ranch? I'm not sure your allowed to do that.
In our community we have had innocent people killed by rogue bulls , buffalo are damn dangerous, that's why they get shot. I've had buffalo owners ask me to shoot their escapees because they know they can't get em captured and want to avoid a law suit. Buffalo are different than traditional livestock and are viewed differently by the law.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
In our community we have had innocent people killed by rogue bulls , buffalo are damn dangerous, that's why they get shot. I've had buffalo owners ask me to shoot their escapees because they know they can't get em captured and want to avoid a law suit. Buffalo are different than traditional livestock and are viewed differently by the law.
You can herd a buffalo, any place he wants to go.

Grizz
Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Is your "community" in some remote area of India? Only record of bison vs man that I can find in N. America are some isolated incidents of dumb tourists getting too close to bison in Yellowstone park. No one was killed.
That's quite the story you have told us about the innocent people being killed by bison, and bison ranchers asking you to shoot their escapees that are worth thousands of dollars.
Please provide any sort of news coverage that must have occured each time someone in your community was killed by a rogue bison. The rest of us missed it.

P.S..... They don't want bison from other area's coming in contact with the Zama herd. Thats why they get shot.

Last edited by waterninja; 08-20-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Is your "community" in some remote area of India? Only record of bison vs man that I can find in N. America are some isolated incidents of dumb tourists getting too close to bison in Yellowstone park. No one was killed.
That's quite the story you have told us about the innocent people being killed by bison, and bison ranchers asking you to shoot their escapees that are worth thousands of dollars.
Please provide any sort of news coverage that must have occured each time someone in your community was killed by a rogue bison. The rest of us missed it.
No, just you seem to have missed it.

Ranchers are smart enough to shoot before the buffalo makes the news.

Financially, this is the way to go....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
No, just you seem to have missed it.

Ranchers are smart enough to shoot before the buffalo makes the news.

Financially, this is the way to go....
So you have heard about innocent people being killed by escapees from bison ranches in Alberta WB? Please show us one news report to that effect. I call BS on this, but will gladly apologize to you if I am wrong.
As for what a rancher does if a bison gets out of its enclosure, I'm sure that shooting it would be the last resort. I'm sure in the history of bison ranching that the occasional escapee has been recaptured before they had to shoot it. At the same time, you might be correct that the first thing they do is shoot it before anyone finds out.

EDIT.. Did a quick google search. Just this year a herd of Bison (25) escaped a ranch in New Haven USA. They wandered all around some town and were quite the spectacle. The ranch owners employees with the help of local police and other authorities rounded up the whole herd and had them back in their enclosure by nightfall. I guess your idea that shooting them first before trying to recapture them is not the case WB. Doesn't make financial sense to shoot your livestock without first trying to recapture them.

Last edited by waterninja; 08-20-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
So you have heard about innocent people being killed by escapees from bison ranches in Alberta WB? Please show us one news report to that effect. I call BS on this, but will gladly apologize to you if I am wrong.
As for what a rancher does if a bison gets out of its enclosure, I'm sure that shooting it would be the last resort. I'm sure in the history of bison ranching that the occasional escapee has been recaptured before they had to shoot it. At the same time, you might be correct that the first thing they do is shoot it before anyone finds out.

EDIT.. Did a quick google search. Just this year a herd of Bison (25) escaped a ranch in New Haven USA. They wandered all around some town and were quite the spectacle. The ranch owners employees with the help of local police and other authorities rounded up the whole herd and had them back in their enclosure by nightfall. I guess your idea that shooting them first before trying to recapture them is not the case WB. Doesn't make financial sense to shoot your livestock without first trying to recapture them.
It happened , kept very quiet pending a law suit that never materialized not sure why. Mans name was Conrad and he was jogging on Lease land. People in the SW corner of the province are well aware of this incident. Try dealing with a rougue bull and see how easy they handle
Old 08-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

If you have a few minutes some of you might be interested in reading some of the stories about what really happens when Bison escape their yards. in 2010 a herd of 16 bison were let loose by suspected vandals and roamed around the Town of Camrose. Big headache for the rancher but they were eventually all rounded up. I guess they don't like being alone so after awhile the loners can be coaxed into a pen or even onto a truck. Some funny stories and videos to watch.
Sorry, no fake news about citizens being killed or bison being slaughtered on main street.
I imagine that if any of the bison had become threatening they would have been shot.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Fake news my #€¥£, why don't you google "Bison gores Calgary man to death olice. C.B C. News ,Aug 2 2009. 7 rougue bulls had left private land and were living illegally on neighbouring crown land. This jogger had no idea this bull was on the property. I saw some of the aftermath , pretty disturbing. Your quite a keyboard warrior mister ninja ....
Old 08-20-2017, 11:32 AM

Waiting for that apology 😊
Old 08-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Aug 2 2009 CTV news Calgary man killed by Bison .. waiting for that apology 😊
Old 08-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Don't ninjas make some kinda magical smoke screen and mysteriously disappear when they sense defeat....?

Too funny.

If it's not covered by Mr google or the news it didn't happen...

Lol
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-20-2017, 06:21 PM

While hunting up north a rancher told me I could shoot a bull that had escaped if I saw him. Round them parts it's polite to give the farmer 48 hours to round his escapees up, after that "grace period" it was all fair game there. His son has shot two, showed me pictures.

Anyways, I managed to keep my focus on elk.. Got a small 6 point bull.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

there was an escaped bison near tofield last year that a guy hunted. He posted photos onto a facebook group last year after he took it down.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just got back home. I don't live on my keyboard, so forgive me if I don't immediatly respond to your posts.
It does appear that I owe an apology to landowner and albert. There is evidence that a bison might have gored someone to death in AB, though the facts seems pretty vague. It might have been Colonel Caesar with a pickaxe.
That's one thing I love about this forum. You do learn some interesting things about nature and the outdoors even if it comes to you sideways.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Don't ninjas make some kinda magical smoke screen and mysteriously disappear when they sense defeat....?

Too funny.

If it's not covered by Mr google or the news it didn't happen...

Lol

Too stupid. lol
Out of curiosity, where do you get your information from if not the news or Google?

Last edited by waterninja; 08-20-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:44 PM
Banned

Speaking of fake news, I have to say that I am very upset with postal workers who ruin collectable stamps by cancelling them with pen and ink instead of a proper postmark.
Not a derail, as they are doing them to the bison collection.