Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 02:36 PM

Default Winter sleeping bags Budget friendly cost

I'm looking for a winter sleeping bag for a budget friendly cost. Some were from -7 to -20 if possible. Going to be using it in September for hunting. Thank you for your help guys
Old 08-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned

Default Whyte ave and 103st?

Do not know your budget,but here is a place to start,the first link is a bag that could meet your needs the second link is all bags and accessories.

https://www.armyandnavy.ca/collectio...0-sleeping-bag

https://www.armyandnavy.ca/collectio...gs-accessories
Old 08-20-2017, 06:04 PM

Budget is great, but this is somewhere you should expect to spend a little money. I would recommend at least a -7, probably better, in something like marmot, Sierra designs, north face etc. I currently run a marmot sorcerer, rated for -7, and it's not very enjoyable once you hit the freezing mark. Remember, the temp rating is more the temp you won't die at than it is the temp you'll be comfortable at. Also, think about adding a liner to enhance the temp rating, but they aren't cheap either, mine was close to $50 just for the liner
Old 08-20-2017, 06:08 PM

What's the budget? Are going to be hiking in? Driving in? Is the bag going to be used for anything else?

If driving in or a very short hike and this is all the bag is going to be used for, just get one of those cheap gigantic warm bags they sell at wallmart/Canadian Tire/ etc. That's my opinion
Old 08-20-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
What's the budget? Are going to be hiking in? Driving in? Is the bag going to be used for anything else?

If driving in or a very short hike and this is all the bag is going to be used for, just get one of those cheap gigantic warm bags they sell at wallmart/Canadian Tire/ etc. That's my opinion
That is a good point. I should add that my gear was purchased for hike in back country camping. Comfort and weight savings is tough on a budget.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Budget is great, but this is somewhere you should expect to spend a little money. I would recommend at least a -7, probably better, in something like marmot, Sierra designs, north face etc. I currently run a marmot sorcerer, rated for -7, and it's not very enjoyable once you hit the freezing mark. Remember, the temp rating is more the temp you won't die at than it is the temp you'll be comfortable at. Also, think about adding a liner to enhance the temp rating, but they aren't cheap either, mine was close to $50 just for the liner
I own three Western Mountaineering bags (two rated for -10C and one for +7C). At about -3, I do not even need to put anything on, but my underwear when sleeping in one of those -10 bags. There are only a few companies that could match the quality, IMO. If you are looking to invest in something that will keep you warm for years, Western Mountaineering is the way to go. Ain't cheap though. Liner is good idea as well. You can actually just cut and sew your own out of an old bed sheet. Seems weird, but a friend of mine has been using one like it for years now and it does the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
That is a good point. I should add that my gear was purchased for hike in back country camping. Comfort and weight savings is tough on a budget.
Same with me. All my outdoor equipment was bought with weight and comfort being the main considerations for backpacking, canoeing, etc. So it took me years to get all I need. Well, you can never get all you need/want when it comes to the outdoor equipment
Old 08-20-2017, 06:35 PM

Go in to Wholesale Sports and have a look at this sleeping bag.

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...ng-Bag/p/65696

I got the -29 a few years ago for right around 80 bucks. Sale wasn't on there website, but they we're 50% off in store. Worth checking anyways.

Bag kept me nice and warm in a tent trailer that went down to -5 over night in late October. If its anywhere over plus 5 the -29 bag will be to hot. They also have a -18 bag I believe. My FIL got that and he had no issues either in late october with the bag.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:36 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-North.../dp/B00CN0FNUC

I just purchased this one. After doing some research. It is good down to -18c keep me alive temp. I also grabbed the Colman fleece sleeping bag for 17$ to add as a liner. I'm driving in an setting up camp. Then hiking from access points. I think it was a good deal. Sept 22 to the 25 or so will be the test.

Gordon
Old 08-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-North.../dp/B00CN0FNUC

I just purchased this one. After doing some research. It is good down to -18c keep me alive temp. I also grabbed the Colman fleece sleeping bag for 17$ to add as a liner. I'm driving in an setting up camp. Then hiking from access points. I think it was a good deal. Sept 22 to the 25 or so will be the test.

Gordon
Yea, you should be fine. September is still pretty early unless your camping in the mountains.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yea, you should be fine. September is still pretty early unless your camping in the mountains.
I will be on the eastren side about 50 km away.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 PM

Mummies are ok, if you don't mind being constrained, but a rectangular bag is hard to beat for comfort, if you'r working out of a camp or vehicle. been using one of these for years and won't break the bank.

http://www.allsold.ca/chinook-huntsm...eping-bag-6492

Grizz
Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 PM

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...g-Bag/p/158237

All the bag you'll ever need for winter, and on sale
Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 PM

Mec has some good bags that won't break the bank could be worth a look. I've had a mec bag for almost 10 years and it's still great.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Banned

Several posts have mentioned a liner,i use one it's a good thing.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Several posts have mentioned a liner,i use one it's a good thing.
Or when weight is not an issue, a canvas bedroll with bag inside increases the warmth a lot. Works well for keeping bag in good shape as well
Old 08-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Banned

Default correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Or when weight is not an issue, a canvas bedroll with bag inside increases the warmth a lot. Works well for keeping bag in good shape as well
Correct.

But my weight is an issue.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:44 PM
Banned

https://www.mec.ca/en/products/gear/...+-15%C2%B0C%29
Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Correct.

But my weight is an issue.
The, mummy bags are out.

Grizz
Old 08-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Banned

Bring a gal bigger than you and curl up in the folds.