Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Geese in Peace River early September?

We are heading up to the Peace region for the first few days of September to try out a fall bear hunt for the first time. I was thinking about it last night and had flashbacks of video footage I've seen from the Peace River area with huge flights of geese and some amazing shoots, so we have decided to throw a bag of decoys in the truck and possibly get distracted by some honkers.

I'm just wondering for Sept 1-5 if there will likely be many migrators in yet and also if there will be any snows showing up yet. I've killed snows Sept 1st way further South than that, but my main reason for asking is that we will have limited room in the truck for gear, so I'm debating if packing a bag of Sillosock snows is a good use of space or not.

If we can throw out 50 small Canada shells and 50 snows, that will be a good start for early season geese. But if there is very little chance of snows being around I'll leave em at home. We usually have a big trailer stacked to the roof with decoys, but don't want to drag it that far since our main focus is bears.

Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:25 AM

I would definitely leave the snows at home. Wouldn't even think of taking them to Peace River area, actually, even later in the season.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Yeah definitely leave the snows at home, hardly ever get them up in this area.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned

I think KegRiver lives in Peace River and he knows his waterfowl. He may be of a help if hes feeling ok that day.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Can only speak for north of Manning.Sep1.Early for snows.Lots of speck belly and lesser Canada's. Depending on the year.There are decent flocks of snow geese,but arrive later in the season

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 PM

This year, weirdly enough, I see lots of Canada geese already, but no specs.

As for snows, I see them more in Manning and Hines Creek area. Still not enough for me to go hunting. Peace River and surrounding area is always slim pickings. Last year I saw a small flock when driving past Grimshaw and on a couple of hunts I saw a few with Canada geese (3 on one hunt and I think 5 on the other).
Old 08-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Thanks for the input...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll leave the snows at home and pack some more honker decoys. Pretty excited to see how this all goes.

We've never tried for fall bears and I know it's a different game altogether. If I can have a chance at a black bear and a specklebelly in the same week, life will be grand!
Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 AM

No shortage of either in 527. Safe travels

Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Lots of Americans hunting geese in Peace Country these days, you will have lots of company. Your looney $ may not buy you field access against the American green back $$.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Lots of Americans hunting geese in Peace Country these days, you will have lots of company. Your looney $ may not buy you field access against the American green back $$.
Yeah, I was wondering what we will be up against for competition up there. I'm assuming there will be quite a few outfitters running around as well.

I have no issue with either Americans or outfitters - just hoping to get into a couple of fields while we're there and burn some powder. We'll be quite a ways North of Peace River though, so hopefully we'll be OK.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 AM

I hunt north of Manning every fall.Never felt crowed by anyone.Big area abundant bird population good people.Enjoy

Old 08-21-2017, 12:48 AM
Gone Hunting

I live north of Manning but hunt all over the Peace region.

There does seem to be less competition north of town, but there is some for sure.
It's not a big deal if you know some land owners but if you don't there is a good chance some outfitter will tie up the best fields very early in the season.

I know most of the big land holders here. Being on the ag society board has some advantages.

People from the south usually have a hard time finding fields they can hunt.
But I'd bet it's way easier up here then anywhere south of Redmonton.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-21-2017, 04:08 AM

Still looking to get my first duck/goose hunt in this area, been itching to get going but like was mentioned, as a new guy without any permission and all the guide/outfitters have some prime spots.

Glad to see you're doing good Keg, I'm gonna grab an elk and wt general tag this year, so if you'd like to get out let me know, I'd think nothing of coming out that way and grabbing you for the trip.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 PM

I live in High Prairie and just tonight saw tons of Canadas flying out of fields at dusk. Haven't seen any Speckles yet and we don't usually see too many Snows. I just wish AB would introduce a crane hunt!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedes13 View Post
I live in High Prairie and just tonight saw tons of Canadas flying out of fields at dusk this evening. Haven't seen any Speckles yet and we don't usually see too many Snows. I just wish AB would introduce a crane hunt!!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:48 AM

Do you do geese out here Schroedes? If you're looking for another person to join you, let me know!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Do you do geese out here Schroedes? If you're looking for another person to join you, let me know!

I just moved out here last summer from northern Quebec where we did a whole week off school just to hunt geese. Sadly, out here I haven't found a farmer who will let me hunt on their land. But there are last year there were tons and tons of Canada's and Specks around HP.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroedes13 View Post
I just moved out here last summer from northern Quebec where we did a whole week off school just to hunt geese. Sadly, out here I haven't found a farmer who will let me hunt on their land. But there are last year there were tons and tons of Canada's and Specks around HP.

If you are one of the Québécois that has a mini van with bumper stickers lose that see if you get permission then? Try a duramax with BertaBoys sticker.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:32 PM

Lol no I'm originally from ON, but I became a true Alberta and bought myself a truck! No stickers on it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Still looking to get my first duck/goose hunt in this area, been itching to get going but like was mentioned, as a new guy without any permission and all the guide/outfitters have some prime spots.

Glad to see you're doing good Keg, I'm gonna grab an elk and wt general tag this year, so if you'd like to get out let me know, I'd think nothing of coming out that way and grabbing you for the trip.
We should do a goose hunt together. I have access to plenty of good fields.
I even have a few old decoys and a couple of shotguns to match.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-29-2017, 06:40 AM

Keg, I would love to. I have a nice old break open 12 ga CIL my father in law gave me and 2 very nice Remington 870's, so no worries on the shotguns.

I'll PM you with my cell # and you just let me know if you can go out, and I'll make it happen. I've been wanting to do duck and geese since I started shooting, but I should probably start practicing with my clay shooting.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:07 AM

Lots of geese overhead the last few days, been working double shifts and getting outside as much as I can for a break from the facility, and I love hearing them... even not having any permission or land to hunt them on, and having never gotten to, it still excites me hearing and seeing them all over. I guess I truly do have the hunting mindset now haha.