Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 10:13 AM

Default Peace River Taxidermist Question...

I know that I am completely jinxing my upcoming hunt by asking this, but I'm wondering if there are taxidermists in the Peace River area that people would recommend - and also to avoid completely. I have looked online and even searched previous recommendations from the forum, but can't find a decent website or anything anywhere.

We are heading bear hunting in a couple of weeks and I'm planning on holding off the trigger unless I see a really big black one I like, or a big platinum blonde. Either one will be for a full mount.

I have taxidermists down home here that I would like to use, but we will be hunting for 4-5 days, and I would prefer to get the hide to a professional as quickly as possible to avoid hair slip and other issues. Would it be reasonable to pay a taxidermist to clean up the hide and send it off for wet tanning, and then take the hide to another taxidermist once it gets back? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any input. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself completely now! It's like saying the word "limit" before you go goose hunting.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:19 AM

I'm from Peace River, and I highly recommend making the drive to Kinuso(about 2 hours south of Peace River closer to Slave Lake) and visit Dave Booth Taxidermy. They can be found on Facebook as well as on line. I also believe they do in house tanning as well.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:57 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpaul74 View Post
I'm from Peace River, and I highly recommend making the drive to Kinuso(about 2 hours south of Peace River closer to Slave Lake) and visit Dave Booth Taxidermy. They can be found on Facebook as well as on line. I also believe they do in house tanning as well.
Thank you! This is what I was looking for!

Awesome quality bears. I'm happy to have them do the whole thing if I get a good one. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:23 PM

Des McCaffrey is very highly recommended. He's towards GP.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Don Mills at Berwyn is highly recommended
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM

Trudeau Taxidermy
Just south of peace river. Did a head elk mount for me couple years ago. Very happy with his work.

Elkster