Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Thumbs down Think Mexican resorts are safe?

Wife's best friend went to this same resort.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/that-s-whe...room-1.4692898

for those scared to click a link

OTTAWA - For 29-year-old Ottawa native Lexie York, a pleasant evening at a Cancun area resort last week, turned into a violent brush with death that changed her life forever.

York was viciously attacked in her Cancun area hotel room . Police have charged a man she met earlier that night, with a group of couples in the lobby of her resort.

“I didn’t expect him to come around once we all walked back to our rooms” she told CTV Ottawa’s Catherine Lathem by phone from her hospital room. “I never really thought it was going to be an unsafe situation”.

After he allegedly pushed his way into York’s room, she says he started attacking her.

“That’s when he started strangling me”. She alleges the suspect beat her repeatedly on the head and face.

“I was on the floor and could barely see. It was my immediate thought to get out of that room and go look for help”, she said.

York underwent extensive reconstructive surgery on her face after the assault, including plates placed in her cheek and mesh around one eye to help stabilize the muscles.

“I’m so thankful for the doctor who has been working with me. He did an amazing job. I’m just so thankful”, she said as her voice cracked.

Mexico City native, Ricardo Sanchez Pichardo has been charged with attempted murder.

York is a flight attendant and an experienced traveller. She had arrived in the Cancun area a day ahead of her mother. She says she will not travel alone again, but doesn’t want people to be afraid.

“I’m positive. I don’t want people to be afraid because travelling is such an amazing and great experience. I just think, I’m still going to travel and I’m still going to enjoy everything the world has to offer even though this happened. But people just have to be extra careful”, York said.

She says the messages and donations from people across the country have been a tremendous comfort.

“It just shows that even though there’s one bad person, there are so any other good people”, she said.

“I want to start healing. I’m looking forward to coming home. I’m looking forward to getting back on track. To everyone I just want to say, love everybody and enjoy every minute you can with each other because it could be gone in a second.”

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-21-2019, 06:39 PM

That is nasty for sure but at least she lived. In some places people get killed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4021481/2...investigation/
Old 11-21-2019, 06:51 PM

I feel very safe in Mexico. She was attacked by another guest, that could happen anywhere and likely does.

I felt safer in Puerto Vallarta than in a couple of US cities I have been to.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:07 PM

Just got back from 12 days in PDC and didn’t feel unsafe at all. We were in a 900 room resort. So essentially you’re in a small village of almost 2000ppl. Not every guest is going to be an upstanding citizen. She was attacked by a guest of the hotel and he is being charged with attempted murder.

My MIL is headed to the same resort in question on Sunday and I’m not worried for her safety at all. My mother is headed to PV on the 28th for 4 months and she will be fine.

Very unfortunate incident but could happen anywhere.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I feel very safe in Mexico. She was attacked by another guest, that could happen anywhere and likely does.

No doubt.

You wanna talk dangerous look at Jamaica and all the sexual assaults being swept under the rug just because the perpetrator is a resort employee.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
That is nasty for sure but at least she lived. In some places people get killed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4021481/2...investigation/
Feb 12 2018?

you had to dig that far just to find something here?

Sorry if I offended you about Mexico, not sure the personal connection, but your reply shows offense for some odd reason.

The reason I put it up was because my wife's best friend and her family go to THAT resort, and my daughter goes to Mexico. It terrifies me.

SMH lannie.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 PM

Lethbridge scares me. Mexico is out of the question for me.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:49 PM

I have a coworker who was born in Mexico and even he doesn’t go back often. When he does he is very particular about where in the country he goes. Sad to see this happen but i guess it’s pretty common place through the world.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 PM
Banned

For "winter vacations" I've always chosen Hawaii. Why?? Because I know one thing,, those blue and red lights in your rear view mirror are NEVER there to fleece you or worse !!
You can take your "cheap flights, cheap resorts, etc" and gamble Not saying there isn't crime in Hawaii BUT I'd rather take my chances in the USA than any Banana Republic for making the trip CHEAPER..
I know one thing for sure eating/drinking in Hawaii, I don't need special immunizations, I can count on great food.
I just feel very very safe there USA is A-OK
Old 11-21-2019, 08:14 PM

nothing is safe, you could be in a car accident on the way to the airport if you dont want to go to Mexico dont go more beach for me.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 PM

Apparently Grande Prairie is the 9th most dangerous city in Canada. I don't know where to go anymore. *sigh*

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:

One of them, You People.

Grizz
Old 11-21-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Apparently Grande Prairie is the 9th most dangerous city in Canada. I don't know where to go anymore. *sigh*
I think you almost take a back seat to Red Deer.

https://rdnewsnow.com/2019/11/19/red...gerous-places/

Grizz
Old 11-21-2019, 08:55 PM

I compare it to the cow/shark thing. Your 9 times more likely to be killed by a cow than a shark.

2018 mexico had 40 million tourists, 238 tourist deaths.
2018 hawaii had just shy of 10 million tourists and 117 deaths.

Your odds of being killed are actually higher in hawaii, but it the violent murder deaths that put fear into people.

Mexico, hawaii, bahamas...... i cant afford a day at wabamun these days.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:01 PM

It's like traveling anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings, and be very careful who you choose to party with, especially if you're a single gal.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 PM

I’ve been to that resort three times and always felt safe. Wow you never know
Old 11-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
It's like traveling anywhere. Be aware of your surroundings, and be very careful who you choose to party with, especially if you're a single gal.
We don't realize it, but we're spoiled compared to most of the world.

Grizz
Old 11-21-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Probably the same level of comfort I felt in Hawaii....

https://www.kitv.com/story/35214386/...-murder-charge

Or on a cruise ship
https://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/cat...-ship-murders/

Or Vegas....

Happens every where. Not sure why you would think Mexico is any worse.

I would have a bigger issues with tiny 3rd world countries in Caribbean. The hospitals there are BRUTAL. Mexico Hospitals are ok. Cuba.. not so much.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:50 PM

Had a NFL football game in Mexico City this week. Formula #1 race two weeks ago. Mexico City has 24,000,000 people. One most populous cities world.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:01 PM
Banned

W5 did an episode on how resorts are becoming more unsafe in some areas
The Narco Riviera: Caught in the crossfire of a drug war
Its in 4 parts listed under the video

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.4358349
Old 11-21-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
For "winter vacations" I've always chosen Hawaii. Why?? Because I know one thing,, those blue and red lights in your rear view mirror are NEVER there to fleece you or worse !!
You can take your "cheap flights, cheap resorts, etc" and gamble Not saying there isn't crime in Hawaii BUT I'd rather take my chances in the USA than any Banana Republic for making the trip CHEAPER..
I know one thing for sure eating/drinking in Hawaii, I don't need special immunizations, I can count on great food.
I just feel very very safe there USA is A-OK
Same. Other than a couple times when there were some very weird mental cases running around, none of us had any inclination of danger at all, at any hour in Hawaii. 5 times in 5 years, only bad thing ever was lost luggage and montezuma's revenge. I was slightly nervous hanging around San Pedro (close to Crenshaw lol) in LA but that was because of the gunshots.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:14 AM
Banned

Good thing that fella didn’t go to Hawaii on vacation eh?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:01 AM

I have traveled to Mexico several times in the last 5 or 6 years. Stayed at a few resorts along the Mayan Rivera. Stayed many times at the Grand Bahia, in another section, and even recommended it on another thread. This truly is a black eye for the resort. That said, I'm headed back in early December and really looking forward to the trip. From all accounts the lady did nothing that she shouldn't have, other than meet some other hotel guests. Goes to show you can't trust everyone. That doesn't mean all people are not trust worthy. Keep your wits about you at all times. Even in Canada.

Hope for a speedy and complete as possible recovery for the victim.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Jeepers take a look around our neck of the woods in attacks etc....people go visit the Windy City yet don't worry about getting in harms way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 AM

We just came back from PV and my wife said felt very safe on and off the resort there. She is not a fan of the playa del carmin area though.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
We just came back from PV and my wife said felt very safe on and off the resort there. She is not a fan of the playa del carmin area though.
It's gone down hill severely in the last couple of years. In spite of continually putting lip stick on the pig, Mexico is a failed state, bordering on anarchy.

Grizz
Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Google highest crime rates in canada per capita and you will be surprised the cities that come up, Regina, Saskatoon, Wetaskiwin, Red Deer, Prince Albert,

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
I have traveled to Mexico several times in the last 5 or 6 years. Stayed at a few resorts along the Mayan Rivera. Stayed many times at the Grand Bahia, in another section, and even recommended it on another thread. This truly is a black eye for the resort. That said, I'm headed back in early December and really looking forward to the trip. From all accounts the lady did nothing that she shouldn't have, other than meet some other hotel guests. Goes to show you can't trust everyone. That doesn't mean all people are not trust worthy. Keep your wits about you at all times. Even in Canada.

Hope for a speedy and complete as possible recovery for the victim.
We stayed there too.

The "condo" style rooms (I'm not sure exactly what to call them) add privacy which wifey and I liked. But I can also see how that privacy could backfire.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Google highest crime rates in canada per capita and you will be surprised the cities that come up, Regina, Saskatoon, Wetaskiwin, Red Deer, Prince Albert,
Does it show highest for what?

Is it car theft or murder?

Old 11-22-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
We stayed there too.

The "condo" style rooms (I'm not sure exactly what to call them) add privacy which wifey and I liked. But I can also see how that privacy could backfire.
The best fight I ever saw in my life happened between two young French dudes in the pool at that resort. Happened at the swim-up bar. Way better than UFC. My son was in gr 6 at the time. Blood everywhere. Cleared the pool. The one guy held the other guy's head underwater for at least 20 seconds in an attempt to drown him before staff jumped in the pool and intervened. It was actually the guy who ran the poolside entertainment. I went to the GM to give my commendation for his bravery, as there was no security around. Took cajones cuz the two dudes fighting were bad hombres.

Women and unlimited booze ain't always a great combination for young rutting bucks. LOL. Still, it's a good place.

Stuff can happen anywhere.

Last edited by sns2; 11-22-2019 at 09:07 AM.