Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 07:59 AM

Default i phone 7

I have a new I phone 7 I got two month ago and as others have said it eats battery power. But I took it quadding last week and it was fully charged. I never used it and after about 3 hours of riding it had only 1/4 of the power left.
I left it fully charged last night and this morning it was only 1/2 charged.
I closed all the apps I was not using and dimmed the screen.
Before I go argue for a new battery has anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-21-2019, 08:05 AM

At -20 my fully charged I-phone 7 will only last an hour or so before shutting down due to a low battery. But when I get back to the truck, warm it up and plug it in it’s fully charged in 20 minutes. It’s been like that since day one and I’ve seen others just as bad. If I keep it warm right next to my body it will last all day.

I did have one charging cord that took forever to charge the unit. I junked it and bought another and that one charged in an hour or so.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 AM

When I carry my 7 i put a hand warmer in the pocket, to keep the phone holding its charge
Old 11-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
When I carry my 7 i put a hand warmer in the pocket, to keep the phone holding its charge
That’s a great idea. Wish I had thought of that. Can’t tell you how many times my phone died while out in the field.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Closed the apps you were not using? Which ones were you using? In every smartphone I have had, it’s the map usage that drains the battery the fastest. X 3 on the phone temperature though.

I found the Milwaukee power source battery adapters to be really handy, they make them for both their 12V and 18V batteries. Good to have for electronics back-up where normal charging options are not available. Compared to the other USB ‘power bank’ options, these are way better because you can have numerous batteries that also serve your other tools. I think Makita & Dewalt both make similar ones as well, if you happen to be on their battery system.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...rce/1000765100
Old 11-21-2019, 08:41 AM

If you are in an area where there is no cel service the phone will constantly be searching for a signal which is a huge drain on the battery. Best thing to do is just power down until you are back in service range.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Closed the apps you were not using? Which ones were you using? In every smartphone I have had, it’s the map usage that drains the battery the fastest. X 3 on the phone temperature though.

I found the Milwaukee power source battery adapters to be really handy, they make them for both their 12V and 18V batteries. Good to have for electronics back-up where normal charging options are not available. Compared to the other USB ‘power bank’ options, these are way better because you can have numerous batteries that also serve your other tools. I think Makita & Dewalt both make similar ones as well, if you happen to be on their battery system.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...rce/1000765100
I have this Milwaukee add for my cordless battery , but even when the phone is connected to the charger still will die in cold weather.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Check the settings for how often the phone searches for new emails, messages, etc. As said above - if you’re out of cell range, it’ll constantly be searching.
Turn data roaming to off when you’re out of the truck. Keep it in an inside pocket, if possible.
If it’s searching for cell signal, retrieving emails constantly, screen brightness turned up, following gps location (on iHunter or google maps or whatever), it’ll eat battery power like crazy.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:22 AM

like other have noted...If you not in cell coverage it will be searching continuously which drains battery. Put on airplane mode until you need it.

Keep it next to body, inside pocket. Cold kills it.

BTW- I just changed my battery on my iphone 7, it was 2.5 years old. Cost me $65.

Apple can run a remote test on it if you call in.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
If you are in an area where there is no cel service the phone will constantly be searching for a signal which is a huge drain on the battery. Best thing to do is just power down until you are back in service range.
You can also switch to "airplane mode" which will keep it from searching for signal, resulting in a much longer battery life.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
You can also switch to "airplane mode" which will keep it from searching for signal, resulting in a much longer battery life.
Its crazy that a phone does not work when it should, don't think Apple said watch out for cold weather it will kill your battery, when you bought it.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:04 PM

iPhone 7 is quite outdated. Released in 2016 and I am guessing you are using the newest version of iOS? Bound to happen. Good battery comes with the new versions of devises. iPhone 11 is the most recent release. Sorry but that's how it is. The new operating system can more/will do more so your battery needs to be up for that.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 11-21-2019, 12:27 PM

Typical Apple bs. But I prefer Apple to the other options my wife and I have tried over the years. So I’m used to it.
I also have a 7, and no issues until the last OS update a few months back. I’ve tried all the tricks, turning everything off, disabling, etc etc. Battery is lucky to last a few hours now. I just keep it plugged in, when going outdoors or somewhere away from a charger I have a battery pack I can plug it into. 15,000 mah, I can get 4 or 5 phone charges out of it. Though never had to test how much it actually does.
My wife always gets the latest and greatest and I get her hand me downs. When this contract is up in the new year I’m sure she will get a new one and I’ll get her XR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I have a new I phone 7 I got two month ago and as others have said it eats battery power. But I took it quadding last week and it was fully charged. I never used it and after about 3 hours of riding it had only 1/4 of the power left.
I left it fully charged last night and this morning it was only 1/2 charged.
I closed all the apps I was not using and dimmed the screen.
Before I go argue for a new battery has anyone else had this problem?
Had the same issue with pos iPhone 7 too, I did a hard reset about 6 times in a row...seems fine now, but it’s still a pos!
Old 11-21-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
iPhone 7 is quite outdated. Released in 2016 and I am guessing you are using the newest version of iOS? Bound to happen. Good battery comes with the new versions of devises. iPhone 11 is the most recent release. Sorry but that's how it is. The new operating system can more/will do more so your battery needs to be up for that.
Outdated lol. A guy is supposed to buy a new phone every year to keep up? I've got an SE and it works great with the latest ios and battery power is not an issue, never has been. I can run ihunter all day long with no battery drain. There is absolutely no need to have the latest pos iPhone release.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Outdated lol. A guy is supposed to buy a new phone every year to keep up? I've got an SE and it works great with the latest ios and battery power is not an issue, never has been. I can run ihunter all day long with no battery drain. There is absolutely no need to have the latest pos iPhone release.
I used to have the SE and never had problems with battery drain. But it quit and they told me it could not be repaired and talked me into the i phone 7. I think it is all a scam phone quits and you have to buy a new one. My next phone might be an old flip top phone.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
like other have noted...If you not in cell coverage it will be searching continuously which drains battery. Put on airplane mode until you need it.
This is the biggest thing 100% agree. If you don't have solid coverage where you're at, it will drain the battery like nothing else, just constantly searching for a network. It's basically the same battery usage as a phone call until it actually connects to the network. If you're out sledding or quadding just put it on airplane mode. It takes about 20 seconds when you stop and wanna use it to connect to the network again.

Closing apps on an iPhone does nothing, their phones put apps to sleep when they're not open. It saves a snapshot of what the app was doing when you minimized it but they can't do anything (except for a very select few apps) until they're brought to the foreground.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
^^ This X500..as i type this on my early 2016 Android LG phone that was last charged Tuesday morning.
(I find some phones batteries can be extended a bit when 'Mobile Data' is turned off during times of non use)
Old 11-21-2019, 10:13 PM

If you call your carrier and speak to the retention department, you can usually get a new phone for free. That’s actually free, not $10/month on your bill “free”.

You need to know offers the other carriers are offering and quote them to the retention agent. Once they know you are serious about leaving you’ve got em.

Canadian telecoms are so overpriced that they can give away $1400 phones like candy and still be tremendously profitable. You are already subsidizing a new phone with your monthly plan, it just takes some smooth talking to cash it in.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you got a 7 a couple months ago it’s not new, did you buy it used or is it a hand me down? Lithium batteries wear out and when they get old that’s exactly what they act like.

Go to settings > battery > battery health. This will show you the capacity of the battery. For reference my XR is about a year old and is at 97%

In the previous screen settings > battery you can scroll down and see what apps are having the biggest impact on the power use, could be an app is going haywire and causing a big draw. Given the age of the device though I bet it needs a replacement.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
If you got a 7 a couple months ago it’s not new, did you buy it used or is it a hand me down? Lithium batteries wear out and when they get old that’s exactly what they act like.

Go to settings > battery > battery health. This will show you the capacity of the battery. For reference my XR is about a year old and is at 97%

In the previous screen settings > battery you can scroll down and see what apps are having the biggest impact on the power use, could be an app is going haywire and causing a big draw. Given the age of the device though I bet it needs a replacement.
No I got it brand new in the box from a Tom Harris fido store. When my old SE quit I took it back to the Telus store I bought it from got the run around so took it to the apple store. After a couple of hours sitting around they told me I needed a new phone and I could probably get a better deal from Telus.
So took it to a Tom Harris store as it is close to my place and they said it could not be fixed. So they put me on a plan for an I phone 7.

But thank you for telling me how to check the battery.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Turn it off or airplane mode works great, my iPhone 7 is a couple years old now and I just changed out the battery myself. Bought a kit off amazon with a bigger battery and a bunch of tools to do the job for $25 or so. It’s a higher capacity battery to and the phone works great again now.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 11-22-2019, 10:55 AM

I had all the apple phones

4 days ago I switched to android

Battery life was my biggest reason

Snowmobile season and cold will show whether I made the best choice

I do turn it to airplane mode and keep it next to my body in winter. It definitely helped. We will see if this Galaxy 10 is better
Old 11-22-2019, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
So took it to a Tom Harris store as it is close to my place and they said it could not be fixed. So they put me on a plan for an I phone 7.

But thank you for telling me how to check the battery.
My apologies, I just had a look and Apple was in fact manufacturing that model up until September of this year. That would preclude a worn battery, if the battery health capacity is still > 90% have a good look at the apps listed in the settings > battery screen.

Also as others have noted cold + searching for distant towers are 2 things that will cause significant drain but that still strikes me as a bit much.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
My apologies, I just had a look and Apple was in fact manufacturing that model up until September of this year. That would preclude a worn battery, if the battery health capacity is still > 90% have a good look at the apps listed in the settings > battery screen.

Also as others have noted cold + searching for distant towers are 2 things that will cause significant drain but that still strikes me as a bit much.
Have had a 7 for a few months as it was free and I didn't need the latest Instagram capable phone. Battery lasts all day into the evening with normal use. No complaints here but haven't tried it in the hinterlands in sub-zero temps yet.