Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
If you are comparing apples to apples, why aren't you adding in electricity $ into your equation? And I can't wait for the gouvernment to decide that road taxes need to be applied to our electricity bills. Maybe we will get 'dyed' electrons for use in our homes

ARG
Yep. Fair enough..it's about $4-5 to charge a Tesla for ~400km. But it's not that easy to calculate.

And yes they will start adding road taxes in. But the hard thing to calculate is with the cars regenerative braking it completely depends on the route moreso than a ice car..
Old 11-19-2019, 07:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
1000km charge in 5 min. What are they charging that with, a lightening bolt?
The biggest problem with charging fast is the heat generated, they figured out a way to cool it just as fast as it heats up, so no energy lost to heat.

It just shows the tech is there, and who says unicorns aren't real?
Old 11-19-2019, 07:38 PM

I can't find the video I watched not too long ago where the guy explained the pre-heating on a Tesla Model 3 really well. Basically this thing is gonna try and keep the battery warm even while parked until it almost runs out of juice unless you tell it not to. I think he said it would take three days to drain the battery letting it do this.

If you run into it, it's one where he starts out from his cabin with a partial charge.

Tesla is definitely the way to go for EVs right now. Nobody else comes close to their battery technology. Even the one Audi's been advertising can't touch a Model 3 Long Range model.

The performance they get is crazy like someone said, Ferrari-level. My benchmark on whether it's viable though is can I drive to Calgary and back without having to sit for an hour charging...
Old 11-19-2019, 10:22 PM

I drive a 10 year old Toyota hybrid. It gets 48 mpg city driving and over 50 on the highway. Never had to replace any of the technology, just regular maintenance that you would expect with any vehicle.

A friend got a Tesla and had to retire their house to put in a charge station. It took them a while to get used to the charging routine. Some smaller towns don’t have the technology available so they have to plan ahead.

The EV is promising but I think I’ll wait until the technology is a little more proven.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly’s Mom View Post
I drive a 10 year old Toyota hybrid. It gets 48 mpg city driving and over 50 on the highway. Never had to replace any of the technology, just regular maintenance that you would expect with any vehicle.

A friend got a Tesla and had to retire their house to put in a charge station. It took them a while to get used to the charging routine. Some smaller towns don’t have the technology available so they have to plan ahead.

The EV is promising but I think I’ll wait until the technology is a little more proven.
for sure.. #1 with todays current infrastructure, you want to have (or rent) an ICE vehicle for long trips, unless you have alot of time and like taking the main route. EV's are great for about a 400km round trip.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I can't find the video I watched not too long ago where the guy explained the pre-heating on a Tesla Model 3 really well. Basically this thing is gonna try and keep the battery warm even while parked until it almost runs out of juice unless you tell it not to. I think he said it would take three days to drain the battery letting it do this.

If you run into it, it's one where he starts out from his cabin with a partial charge.

Tesla is definitely the way to go for EVs right now. Nobody else comes close to their battery technology. Even the one Audi's been advertising can't touch a Model 3 Long Range model.

The performance they get is crazy like someone said, Ferrari-level. My benchmark on whether it's viable though is can I drive to Calgary and back without having to sit for an hour charging...
Funny you mention this.. The last time I drop to GP, I noticed a larger than average number of teslas travelling that road. Seems to be the vehicle of choice for QE2 regulars. A quick 30min charge (ie lunch) would be enough to get you home.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Not sure you would look at a plug in hybrid but the 2021 Toyota RAV looks pretty dam nice. 60 kilometers of electric only plus phenomenal efficiency when in hybrid mode. All wheel drive and Toyotas bullet proof hybrid system. Did I mention 302 horsepower, 5.8 sec too 100kph and 90 MPGe.......
This one kinda tics all the boxes.....
Old 11-20-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Which one? News to me that they do.
2020 Roadster.

And like I said, watch for the new battery technology.

Tesla Super Charging Station just popped up in Moose Jaw this month.

These things are pretty amazing machines.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Yep. Fair enough..it's about $4-5 to charge a Tesla for ~400km. But it's not that easy to calculate.

And yes they will start adding road taxes in. But the hard thing to calculate is with the cars regenerative braking it completely depends on the route moreso than a ice car..
Not according to Tesla. That would be more like $13 based on what I'm paying for electricity right now. Granted that's better than the $30 it would cost me in gas, but not good enough to justify the difference in price of the vehicles. I'm sure they will get there, but I can't see me buying an electric vehicle for at least 5 years.

As for the regenerative braking, it is a brilliant idea but its not like it is going to add 50% to your range (or even 25%). Unicorns might exist, but I still don't believe in perpetual motion.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
The biggest problem with charging fast is the heat generated, they figured out a way to cool it just as fast as it heats up, so no energy lost to heat.

It just shows the tech is there, and who says unicorns aren't real?
If you are cooling something are you still not generating the same amount of heat? Only difference is you are dissipating the heat elsewhere? The only way the heat would be recycled is if that heat was used elsewhere rather than released elsewhere.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 AM

Friend’s Model S, 250 km (Aprox) trip, stopped for coffee and charged at Tesla Super Charger, cost $7 and was basically charged in the time it took to go to Tim Hortons and have coffee.

Not sure what the cost of home charging is but should be pretty easy to calculate depending on what your electricity rate is.

They are going to have to figure out how to apply the road tax to these things. It’s not fair that only ICE vehicles pay the whole shot.

Mind you you could move to Quebec and get a $13,000 incentive towards a new EV. 🙄
Old 11-20-2019, 11:13 AM

Been reading this thread and doing a fair bit of research on the side. If I lived in the right place, EV could be at least a reasonable option for one of my around town vehicles. Given where we live, the much higher cost of an EV vehicle, limited range and lack of charging stations I don't think I will be switching from gas for a while. Five years out, may be a very good option, in ten years it definitely will be and will probably even make sense for long distance highway drives. That said, it will never be my hunting rig that runs on electricity, at least not in my lifetime.

The one really big drawback to EV, is from everything I can find, their lifetime carbon footprint is actually worse than that of a gas powered vehicle. They are going to need to find a whole bunch of manufacturing and recycle efficiencies and a far more eco friendly way of getting the rare earth elements needed for the batteries, before these make senses on an environmental basis. Right now, the claims of being better for the environment run about as true as the enviro claims made for Meatless Burgers.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:38 AM
AO Sponsor

I think the common misconception is that people drive EV's because they think it is more eco-friendly when the reality is most people I talk to who drive EV's do so for either the fuel cost savings or because they are into the latest tech and not because of the idea they are being eco-friendly.

I am interested in the idea of fuel savings as I tend to burn anywhere from $100 to $200 of fuel every week. One of my good clients who drives the P100D and is a freak about keeping records of everything to do with his cars says he has averaged $29/month in extra electricity per month home charging over the last couple years. Not bad for an average 20k/year driver or more.

That said, I still want to wait and see how things go with the development of the tech before committing. First I would want it to be a truck and second I would need to see 500km minimum of range at the worst of times to really be interested.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 PM

I'd be worried about what the power grid providers are going to up-charge all of us when they have to start redoing the supplies into all the neighbourhoods to handle all the charging stations. The price of electricity is going to get stupid once everybody is committed to EV's. There will this and that surcharge etc.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Not according to Tesla. That would be more like $13 based on what I'm paying for electricity right now. Granted that's better than the $30 it would cost me in gas, but not good enough to justify the difference in price of the vehicles. I'm sure they will get there, but I can't see me buying an electric vehicle for at least 5 years.

As for the regenerative braking, it is a brilliant idea but its not like it is going to add 50% to your range (or even 25%). Unicorns might exist, but I still don't believe in perpetual motion.

ARG
I just did the same calc.. I'm at $0.03/kwhr, so.. $3/400miles, and check out the other post with actuals.

(you may want to look for a new elec provider..).
Old 11-20-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
2020 Roadster.

And like I said, watch for the new battery technology.

Tesla Super Charging Station just popped up in Moose Jaw this month.

These things are pretty amazing machines.
I haven't seen where any 2020 Roadsters have been delivered yet.
The waiting list started in 2017.
The first 1,000 copies are supposedly priced around $250,000.00.
If that's the case they better make me lunch and dinner with a beer and do a bunch of other things that I can't mention on this forum.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The one really big drawback to EV, is from everything I can find, their lifetime carbon footprint is actually worse than that of a gas powered vehicle. They are going to need to find a whole bunch of manufacturing and recycle efficiencies and a far more eco friendly way of getting the rare earth elements needed for the batteries, before these make senses on an environmental basis. Right now, the claims of being better for the environment run about as true as the enviro claims made for Meatless Burgers.
Wait.. So you mean Gretta was wrong.. /mindblown..
Old 11-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
The waiting list started in 2017.
The first 1,000 copies are supposedly priced around $250,000.00.
If that's the case they better make me lunch and dinner with a beer and do a bunch of other things that I can't mention on this forum.
Yep they are a big ticket item that’s for sure. But when you compare them to any other car in the same niche they are actually very cheap. They are claiming supercar performance. Possibly the fastest production vehicle on the market. Faster than a $2 million Bugatti.

These obviously aren’t going to be practical everyday vehicles for the average person but the technology they are using and developing will filter down to the mainstream.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I just did the same calc.. I'm at $0.03/kwhr, so.. $3/400miles, and check out the other post with actuals.

(you may want to look for a new elec provider..).
Average rate is 7 cents right now how are you at 3
Old 11-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
Signed 6 months ago at 3. Don't know what else to say.. it pays to shop around, but winter isn't the best time.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
I'm at $0.06 (well $0.0599) once you add all the other fees (and GST) that turns into turns into $0.1585.

ARG

Quote:
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:59 PM

Insurance rates will certainly get your attention on the EV's.

Like others have mentioned, the infrastructure to provide the increase demands is not there... I am pretty sure even the new neighborhoods have not planned for the future demand, makes you wonder how bad the consumer will be punished for the future electrical rates.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Why can’t they make a self charging vehicle? They all have 4 wheels, I’m sure there’s an engineer out their that can figure out how to use these spinning wheels to generate power to self charge the battery that’s make them turn.

BW
Old 11-20-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Why can’t they make a self charging vehicle? They all have 4 wheels, I’m sure there’s an engineer out their that can figure out how to use these spinning wheels to generate power to self charge the battery that’s make them turn.

BW
I had to walk to school up hill both ways, I'm sure I could find a route that is down hill both ways.

ARG

Quote:
Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
That would defy the laws of physics. It can self charge a portion but eventually it will use energy or you wouldn't be moving.

Perpetual motion is motion of bodies that continues indefinitely. A perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical machine that can do work indefinitely without an energy source. This kind of machine is impossible, as it would violate the first or second law of thermodynamics.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
They aren't actually available yet, unicorns and pixel dust at this point. And given Musk's trend, very likely won't be available in 2020 either.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM

A relative has a cottage north of Toronto and the cottage next door recently sold and was torn down to make way for a new home to be built there.

Apparently it is code there that the garage had to have electrical service roughed in for a charging point for an EV. I don’t know if that is a municipal regulation or a provincial one though.

I can only imagine how much infrastructure will have to be upgraded if the EV does end up being the norm. When we got to be driving age and were still living at home we had 5 vehicles at times in the household.

There is a special parking spot and free charging for EV’s in front of Peavey Mart but I’ve never seen anyone using it. 😂

The Petro Canada in Moose Jaw just put in 4 charging stations as well.
I don’t know what the cost is though.

If you watch the launch video on YouTube for the Tesla semi trucks it talks about inductive charging where you won’t even have to plug it in, just park in a special spot and the truck will charge wirelessly.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:34 PM

At this point in time, EVs are lifestyle vehicles. I bought a 2015 Jetta for $9,500.00 and get 43 mpg on the highway. Spending $40k+ just doesn't make sense right now. Things will change when costs are lowered and batteries become more reliable/improve range.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
How much does it cost to charge a vehicle? I can’t imagine that it’s free.
For an average EV, entry level, It works out to roughly a little less than half of what you would pay compared to fueling a similar sized vehicle.

Teslas are about a third or even a quarter of the cost (better batteries and technology maybe).

Those numbers are national averages. So depending on local electrical and fuel prices - but that's probably a fair estimate.

For a city commuter - this makes great sense. But right now, you aren't saving any real money no matter which path you choose.

There's also air pollution versus toxins created by manufacturing batteries or even air pollution generating electricity in some areas. But that's another topic altogether.

This one's an overall coin flip as far as I'm concerned .... a few more years of technology I'm sure this will change.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:21 PM

It is all pretty exciting, be interesting to see where we are in 20 years.

Thomas Sowell