Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired for his comments on Poppies ?
Yes 64 10.05%
No 573 89.95%
Voters: 637. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Yes .... times have changed ..... women didn't vote and we kept blacks as slaves ........ how far back did you want to go in your utopia?
Just back to when people weren’t so easily offended, soft or always worried about others and not their own business. That would be cool....

Also back to the enforcer days in the NHL. The current game sucks.

Oh and also when those waitresses would come out to the car at A and W. that was pretty awesome.

And back to when their were gun racks in our pick up trucks.

Oh and 30 daily limits for yellow perch

10 daily limit for Northern Pike

5 daily limit for walleye

and last but not least, back to when we had a general moose tag.

Ok think that covers it...
Old 11-17-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Just back to when people weren’t so easily offended, soft or always worried about others and not their own business. That would be cool....

Oh and also when those waitresses would come out to the car at A and W. that was pretty awesome.

Because who cares about human rights and social progress if you can live in your fairy tale with your walleye and perch. I don't see how your argument makes any sense unless you're 12 or have your head up your ass.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:38 AM

Wow! I couldn’t read it all. Maybe somebody has already said this, but I’ll say it anyways. Let me know if somebody did though. I’m curious to see what the response is. We are supposed to be outraged that he said “you people”, he also referred to veterans as “these guys”. Are we to be outraged by that too? Are the veterans mad about that?

Then there’s the twit from the social who was way more divisive than don cherry and it was swept under the rug because she said it was related from her personal experiences. So it’s OK now. Well could Don not be making a statement based on his personal experiences too? And if so, why is he pilloried and that twit not?

It’s a double standard people. I don’t care what happens to Don Cherry as long as the tolerant left have to abide by the same rules.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-17-2019 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
Because who cares about human rights and social progress if you can live in your fairy tale with your walleye and perch. I don't see how your argument makes any sense unless you're 12 or have your head up your ass.
Now why do you think it's appropriate to be so insulting.

Many of us remember those times with fondness. And what does any of those things have to do with human rights or social progress?

Socially I think we've slid backwards a long ways since those days.

I don't recall a single case of cyber bullying back then, ISSIS wasn't even thought of yet, School shootings just did not happen and we never saw anyone parading around in a vagina costume.

For hunters and fisher persons it was heaven compared to today.

How is that any of that a bad thing?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
When all those things that 1899 mentioned existed; which human rights didn’t?
Old 11-17-2019, 01:41 AM
Gone Hunting

As for Don Cherry, he should have been fired the day he was born.

I mean geezzz he has no fashion sense at all!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Aww I’m sorry. It was just an attempt at a bit of levity grumpy pants. I hope you aren’t so triggered today and can enjoy your day...
Old 11-17-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:

You missed back to the days when people didn’t post everything on this crazy thing called the internet, Facebook, Instagram and whatever else there is.

BW
Old 11-17-2019, 08:00 AM

Default A Great Canadian's Opinion

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...goes-1.5362019
Old 11-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post

Thank you. A great Canadian for sure.

I have been fortunate enough to know a few like him. Great people.

I have never understood the hate that some seem to live by.

Over the years it moves from one group of immigrants to another. As people get to know the newcomers it seems they realize what great people they are.
I wonder why that even happens. For most of us, our ancestors were immigrants and we know they were great Canadians. So why would any of us not think the most recent wave is not.

Why would we not feel a kinship to these new Canadian who are in truth, following in our ancestors footsteps, for the same reasons and with the same goals.
To live a peaceful life and contribute to their new country, just as our fathers and grandfathers did.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2019, 11:42 AM

People get fired every day. And more often than not, because of things they have done that peed off their employer in the past, and their employer let it go at the time. Then they make that one fatal slip, and the boss is having a bad day...sounds a lot like Cherry, no?
What Grapes said could be taken 1000 different ways by 1000 different people. I guess outraged snowflakes sqwak the loudest.
An employer has the right to make hiring/firing decisions for many different reasons. Debating who's wrong or right won't change anything. If you feel strongly enough about Cherry, stop watching Sportsnet.
And Don.. you're 85. Isn't it time to retire?
Old 11-17-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Agree on all of the above.

Also will add;

No crowds hunting public lands

Kids that are respectful to adults

Leaving doors unlocked without a worry
Old 11-17-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Wow! I couldn’t read it all. Maybe somebody has already said this, but I’ll say it anyways. Let me know if somebody did though. I’m curious to see what the response is. We are supposed to be outraged that he said “you people”, he also referred to veterans as “these guys”. Are we to be outraged by that too? Are the veterans mad about that?

Then there’s the twit from the social who was way more divisive than don cherry and it was swept under the rug because she said it was related from her personal experiences. So it’s OK now. Well could Don not be making a statement based on his personal experiences too? And if so, why is he pilloried and that twit not?

It’s a double standard people. I don’t care what happens to Don Cherry as long as the tolerant left have to abide by the same rules.
It's not the words "you people" on their own, it was the context around them. If he'd have said "I walk around and no one is wearing a poppy, you people need to show some respect and wear one" no one would have batted an eye. But when he is specifically targeting immigrants in his statement, identifying them by sight, and saying they are ungrateful; that's an issue.

Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 11-17-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:40 PM

I wonder what Don would say if he met my parents and got to know us and how we came to this land of "milk and honey".

We came here (both parents educated but the language barrier prevented them from obtaining a career in their fields) and we worked hard to contribute to our new home, our new country.

At age 6 when I came to this country, I would come home from school, warm up dinner that was made the night before, and when my parents came back from a days work, my dad from construction as a laborer, my mom from a meat packing plant, we would have dinner and the head out to our second jobs as janitors every night.

It was my job to empty the trash and from under the desks of the office building, sweep the floors or fill up the mop buckets or whatever I could do as a six year old.

We were the evening janitors for the old Calgary airport, the Electric Utility office, and one other office building, were we were at each site, 2 nights a week, working a second job 6 nights a week.

The government gave my family a check every month for immigration assistance - I don't recall if it was for the first 6 months or maybe a year - but I do remember my dad putting it on the fridge with a magnet and not cashing a single check. He told us it was our responsibility to contribute to our new country and become self sufficient.

When he had a day off during the week (every once in a while) he would wait for us after school and take us, my brother and I, to the government office and "return" the government assistance check. I'm sure, looking back now, this was more for my brother and me to see the importance of what it meant to us, as new Canadians, to contribute to society.

I distinctly remember the lady telling my dad, "just cash the check", "it doesn't matter sir", and how she was clearing thinking my father was being stupid ..... but every month, he would take me and brother back to the office and hand the check back - many times, because we only had one car, we rode the bus to get there.

This is our story - and this is why what he said was ignorant, and hurtful to some new Canadians.

Last edited by EZM; 11-17-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I wish what Don would say if he met my parents and got to know us and how we came to this land of "milk and honey".

We came here (both parents educated but the language barrier prevented them from obtaining a career in their fields) and we worked hard to contribute to our new home, our new country.

At age 6 when I came to this country, I would come home from school, warm up dinner that was made the night before, and when my parents came back from a days work, my dad from construction as a laborer, my mom from a meat packing plant, we would have dinner and the head out to our second jobs as janitors every night.

It was my job to empty the trash and from under the desks of the office building, sweep the floors or fill up the mop buckets or whatever I could do as a six year old.

We were the evening janitors for the old Calgary airport, the Electric Utility office, and one other office building, were we were at each site, 2 nights a week, working a second job 6 nights a week.

The government gave my family a check every month for immigration assistance - I don't recall if it was for the first 6 months or maybe a year - but I do remember my dad putting it on the fridge with a magnet and not cashing a single check. He told us it was our responsibility to contribute to our new country and become self sufficient.

When he had a day off during the week (every once in a while) he would wait for us after school and take us, my brother and I, to the government office and "return" the government assistance check. I'm sure, looking back now, this was more for my brother and me to see the importance of what it meant to us, as new Canadians, to contribute to society.

I distinctly remember the lady telling my dad, "just cash the check", "it doesn't matter sir", and how she was clearing thinking my father was being stupid ..... but every month, he would take me and brother back to the office and hand the check back - many times, because we only had one car, we rode the bus to get there.

This is our story - and this is why what he said was ignorant, and hurtful to some new Canadians.
Great post.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
It's not the words "you people" on their own, it was the context around them. If he'd have said "I walk around and no one is wearing a poppy, you people need to show some respect and wear one" no one would have batted an eye. But when he is specifically targeting immigrants in his statement, identifying them by sight, and saying they are ungrateful; that's an issue.
If that’s his observation, why is it wrong? The lady from the “The Sicial” made it acceptable by pointing out it was her observation.

Also, he referred to veterans with a wide brush too, why are we not outraged by that?

I believe that new immigrants wear less poppies than the rest of Canadians. By the rest of Canadians I mean longer term immigrants too. I think it’s an education thing though, not a spite thing.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I wonder what Don would say if he met my parents and got to know us and how we came to this land of "milk and honey".

Very well done. Was there a line-up of other families returning their cheque’s?
Old 11-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Very well done. Was there a line-up of other families returning their cheque’s?
Not that I recall. I was 6 and, at the time, not really understanding the context or example my dad was trying to give us as boys who would one day become men and citizens of our new home.

I'm pretty sure I was thinking I could "get a bike" with "all that extra FREE money" or something like that. I was a kid.

My experience has been that most immigrants are hard working, thankful and respectful to our country.

My parents wore a poppy as do I.

We are ever so grateful to this country, now my country, for taking us in. As much as it pains me to think about it, if my son had to lay down his life for this country, I would be proud of him in doing so.

I agree , there are many immigrants that are not, and won't get on board, or make an effort to learn the language, and are willing to take a handout and stay home, drink tea and smoke cigarettes waiting for their next government check. I haven't seen too much of that, but I'm sure it exists.

The same is true of many other Canadians too, who are multi generation (and not considered recent immigrants). They too, sit back smoke cigs, maybe drink coffee or beer and wait for the next check to arrive.

Lot's of worthless lazy bums living off my tax dollars but it's not fair to single out one group. Sometimes I wish we could deport our criminals and lazy bums ...... but that's harder to do with a 3rd-4th generation Canadian ... lol.

But what I will say is, based on what I see, I see far more good hard working immigrants as opposed to bad lazy immigrants by a long shot.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Not that I recall. I was 6 and, at the time, not really understanding the context or example my dad was trying to give us as boys who would one day become men and citizens of our new home.

I'm pretty sure I was thinking I could "get a bike" with "all that extra FREE money" or something like that. I was a kid.

My experience has been that most immigrants are hard working, thankful and respectful to our country.

My parents wore a poppy as do I.

We are ever so grateful to this country, now my country, for taking us in. As much as it pains me to think about it, if my son had to lay down his life for this country, I would be proud of him in doing so.

I agree , there are many immigrants that are not, and won't get on board, or make an effort to learn the language, and are willing to take a handout and stay home, drink tea and smoke cigarettes waiting for their next government check. I haven't seen too much of that, but I'm sure it exists.

The same is true of many other Canadians too, who are multi generation (and not considered recent immigrants). They too, sit back smoke cigs, maybe drink coffee or beer and wait for the next check to arrive.

Lot's of worthless lazy bums living off my tax dollars but it's not fair to single out one group. Sometimes I wish we could deport our criminals and lazy bums ...... but that's harder to do with a 3rd-4th generation Canadian ... lol.

But what I will say is, based on what I see, I see far more good hard working immigrants as opposed to bad lazy immigrants by a long shot.
I agree with your post 100% The point I was making was your dad was the exception to the rule. Or the gold standard. He probably wore a poppy to return the cheque too. He embraced Canada and tried his hardest to become a Canadian. Not just live in Canada.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:

So why are you offended again? Your dad would clearly not be someone cherry was referring to when he said you people. Grow some stones already, please. Like it sounds like your pa probably had
Old 11-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
If that’s his observation, why is it wrong? The lady from the “The Sicial” made it acceptable by pointing out it was her observation.
Well, because racism is wrong. If someone says "most black people have poor hygiene, I see it all the time"; that's racist, ignorant and insulting. It's all of those things even if they are trying to claim it as an "observation".

Quote:
Also, he referred to veterans with a wide brush too, why are we not outraged by that?
I don't think he said anything disparaging about veterans? So what would there be to be outraged about? It's not the generalization itself but the fact that its an insulting one.

Quote:
I believe that new immigrants wear less poppies than the rest of Canadians. By the rest of Canadians I mean longer term immigrants too. I think it’s an education thing though, not a spite thing.
Maybe that's fair. It might be reasonable to expect that a new Canadian wouldn't be as aware of the importance of the poppy. Thing is, he didn't say it that way. His rant was based off of seeing immigrants not wearing poppies. How does one identify an immigrant by sight? I've never been to Toronto but I assume they don't make em wear signs.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
So why are you offended again? Your dad would clearly not be someone cherry was referring to when he said you people
If your profession was welding and someone said that most welders are idiots, even if you thought "not me", you'd probably still take offense to it. Get it?

Quote:
Grow some stones already, please. Like it sounds like your pa probably had
lol. Ok, tough guy.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Well, because racism is wrong. If someone says "most black people have poor hygiene, I see it all the time"; that's racist, ignorant and insulting. It's all of those things even if they are trying to claim it as an "observation".

I don't think he said anything disparaging about veterans? So what would there be to be outraged about? It's not the generalization itself but the fact that its an insulting one.

Maybe that's fair. It might be reasonable to expect that a new Canadian wouldn't be as aware of the importance of the poppy. Thing is, he didn't say it that way. His rant was based off of seeing immigrants not wearing poppies. How does one identify an immigrant by sight? I've never been to Toronto but I assume they don't make em wear signs.
How is calling out immigrants racist? There are lots of white immigrants. I use white as in this scenario Don is white. There are many immigrants from European countries and “Eastern European” countries entering Canada every year. It’s you that made it a racial thing.

You do know that “immigrant” isn’t a race right? This right here is the problem. You are trying to pick fly crap out of Pepper to justify a reason to be outraged instead of letting it roll off your back.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
If your profession was welding and someone said that most welders are idiots, even if you thought "not me", you'd probably still take offense to it. Get it?

lol. Ok, tough guy.

Well no actually I wouldn’t take offence. It really doesn’t bother me what someone I don’t know says about me.

And yes obviously mentally tougher than you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
So why are you offended again? Your dad would clearly not be someone cherry was referring to when he said you people. Grow some stones already, please. Like it sounds like your pa probably had
I don't know that I was personally offended to be quite honest, my reaction was more like, "omg...lol... I can't believe he said something so stupid like that" but it definitely would have offended people much more dramatically then it did me.

I am totally cool with people who have polarizing and controversial opinions, but I'm not OK with people setting out to harm or offend others with their careless words. It's not OK to hurt people and cause divisiveness. I'm also against bigotry and you can't argue that's what his comments sounded like.

Like I said before, I don't know DC. I won't go as far to say that he's any more of a bigot than my drunk uncle at the BBQ who say crap like that when he's had too many wobbly pops.

The difference is, my drunk uncle isn't on a multi national show, nor is he representing his employer when he spouts out garbage like that.

Even using the freedom of speech argument - did DC think he could say crap like that on a multi national broadcaster and think he wasn't going to get in hot water for saying it?

I don't think he should have got fired for his words, but he should have been fired for breaching his employers code of conduct, a condition of employment at most companies, which he knew and understood clearly.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
How is calling out immigrants racist? There are lots of white immigrants. I use white as in this scenario Don is white. There are many immigrants from European countries and “Eastern European” countries entering Canada every year. It’s you that made it a racial thing.

You do know that “immigrant” isn’t a race right? This right here is the problem. You are trying to pick fly crap out of Pepper to justify a reason to be outraged instead of letting it roll off your back.
Its xenophobic. And Don is undoubtedly xenophobic.

He says "I lives in Mississauga, no one, uh.. very few people wear a poppy"

He then says "Downtown Toronto, forget it, Downtown Toronto nobody wears a poppy".

He then says "You people that come here … whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy”

So... question for you:

How does Don know the people not wearing the poppy's are "you people that come here"?
Old 11-17-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers View Post
Its xenophobic. And Don is undoubtedly xenophobic.

He says "I lives in Mississauga, no one, uh.. very few people wear a poppy"

He then says "Downtown Toronto, forget it, Downtown Toronto nobody wears a poppy".

He then says "You people that come here … whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy”

So... question for you:

How does Don know the people not wearing the poppy's are "you people that come here"?
I really don’t care if it’s xenophobia. A word de jeur. I was quoting someone saying it was racist. Xenophobia is a joke. Many nations hate each other. It is bred into them for thousands of generations. It’s like calling me a xenophobe because I hate the Edmonton Eskimo’s. It’s just another way to promote outrage.

Is he right about those areas not wearing poppies? I’m not there if he is I’ll take his word for it.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I really don’t care if it’s xenophobia. A word de jeur. I was quoting someone saying it was racist. Xenophobia is a joke. Many nations hate each other. It is bred into them for thousands of generations. It’s like calling me a xenophobe because I hate the Edmonton Eskimo’s. It’s just another way to promote outrage.
I know you were, you were trying to quote and discredit his argument because he used the wrong word. Also you never answered my question?

How did ol Don know they were "you people that come here"?

I showed you the correct one and you now make some silly, and completely ridiculous, comparison between hating a sports team in your province and hating someone because they are from another country.

The only similarity in that comparison is that they are both ridiculously irrational.

You also seem to just accept this hatred that is "bred into them for thousands of generations".

Who are them?
Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:

You do know that “immigrant” isn’t a race right?
That's the whole point. How did Cherry know that all of these many, many people he's seeing walking down the street without poppies, are immigrants? They don't wear "new to Canada" signs, so what would you imagine the visual indicator to be that's leading his brain toward that assumption?

Quote:
This right here is the problem. You are trying to pick fly crap out of Pepper to justify a reason to be outraged instead of letting it roll off your back.
You misunderstand my position. On a scale from 1-10 on 'bothered by Cherry's comments', I'm at a 1. He's just one of a million old coots, not all that bright, stuck in a 1950's mindset. I don't value his opinion, nor is it surprising. What someone like that says and thinks shouldn't upset anyone. But you can disagree with someone without being outraged by them.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers View Post
I know you were, you were trying to quote and discredit his argument because he used the wrong word. Also you never answered my question?

How did ol Don know they were "you people that come here"?

I showed you the correct one and you now make some silly, and completely ridiculous, comparison between hating a sports team in your province and hating someone because they are from another country.

The only similarity in that comparison is that they are both ridiculously irrational.

You also seem to just accept this hatred that is "bred into them for thousands of generations".

Who are them?
“Them” is all nations. See, all nations have warred with another at some point causing hate. When Germans moved to Canada after WW2 and were mistreated it was because Canadians are natural Xenophobes. I see now. Shall Justin write a cheque for Canadians wronging them too? Xenophobia is a joke. Every nation has another they dislike. In school, I hung out with certain people. Some of the other cliques didn’t like my clique. I didn’t like there’s. That’s not xenophobia; it’s human nature. And using a sports analogy is perfectly acceptable. You don’t have to like and accept everyone on earth. If we didn’t like each other in person it’s not because of the dreaded xenophobia.

Don very well could have seen a large group of Russians not wearing poppies speaking Russian as he could have seen a colour of skin that you are reaching for. He could very well know the demographics and seen people not speaking English and figured they had recently immigrated. Was he wrong? If it’s his observation it’s not wrong. Were you downtown Toronto to witness what he witnessed. I wasn’t. I’ll take his word for it.

To bring my point home, you tried to find some sort of outrage because I used the word “them”. I really don’t like you people. Having never met you, what am I referring to as you people?

Last edited by HyperMOA; 11-17-2019 at 06:51 PM.