Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Default Violent farmers

Anyone ever have permission on some land and have another farmer roll up and threaten them?
Old 11-22-2019, 12:11 PM

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2019, 12:23 PM

Yes i had a farmer almost run me down when i walking to my uncles field in 336 a few years back.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:34 PM

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2019, 12:36 PM

I caught a neighbor sneaking into the back of my uncles land, and he was ****ed that i was there. He was on the offence until i told him who i was and that he was in fact the one in the wrong because he didn't have permission. Then he continued to sulk because i messed up his plan for his evening hunt. I couldn't believe it.

I also found that some individuals run around and post no hunting signs on land that isn't even theirs. Hunting season seems to bring out the crazy in some people
Old 11-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Yes but they quickly backed off when I dialed the RAP hotline and put it on speaker phone to report a man with a gun trespassing on property I knew I was the only one who had permission on.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-22-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Anyone ever have permission on some land and have another farmer roll up and threaten them?
Years back it happen to me I didn't back down I know I was in the right. It's one of those reasons I really don't like Farm country not worth the hassle. That's just me though.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:12 PM

When I was 15 my dad took me deer hunting at my uncles in Vermillion. We arrive at the field in the dark to be confronted by two guys claiming to have sole permission on the quarter of land we were gonna hunt as they were the neighbors sons. Blah blah. My dad told them well this is the grandson and nephew of who actually owns the land....they made a quick exit. That was 22 years ago. Also had an outfitter tell me he has exclusive access to my uncles land
World is full of people like that
Old 11-22-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
When I was 15 my dad took me deer hunting at my uncles in Vermillion. We arrive at the field in the dark to be confronted by two guys claiming to have sole permission on the quarter of land we were gonna hunt as they were the neighbors sons. Blah blah. My dad told them well this is the grandson and nephew of who actually owns the land....they made a quick exit. That was 22 years ago. Also had an outfitter tell me he has exclusive access to my uncles land
World is full of people like that
Had similar issues around Stettler back in the day. Get permission, 2 hr drive, get there in the dark, other trucks at the gate already. Told to go somewhere else as they have the only permission. What's a city guy to do, no cell phones back then so can't call the landowner to get things figured out, not going to drive to his house in the early am to whine about it. Can't have 6 guys(4 of them) on one property. So off to another property and hope its not being used. Sucked big time and after a few incidents, moved me back to the crown land for many years. I don't need that crap to hunt WT.

Even now, I have permission on a bush quarter in farm land with maybe 2 others. They and I communicate by text so we don't step on each other. Still have so many people just park and walk in on the trails without permission. Even had a group of 5 guys pushing bush to 1 guy 2 yrs ago when I got there for an afternoon hunt. Talked to the owner that night, he was never asked if they could. The me first & screw rules mentality with some hunters is beyond frustrating.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:27 PM
Banned

From what I have been told, seen, read and heard, I am really concerned about one rancher in specific down in South East Alberta. I am actually considering passing along his name to the authorities before he does something really out there. Guys like that really shouldn't own guns.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Yep duck/goose hunting in a field back in Sask. Was really foggy that morning and we could hear a vehicle driving back and forth on the road like 20 times. Fog lifted and out drives this hot head neighbour of the guy’s land we were hunting on. He drove right up to our spread. He starts laying into me and some buddies telling us he has sole permission on this guys land and how he was gonna hunt it the next day. I told him I had called the farmer the night before and he told me no problem hunting the field that morning. He was ****ed and he peeled off in his pickup truck. We needed a few more for our limit so we shot them and started cleaning up our spread and guess who shows up the CO’s. Coincidence I think not, pretty sure the hot head called them on us in hopes to catch us doing something wrong. All was good!!
Old 11-22-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
From what I have been told, seen, read and heard, I am really concerned about one rancher in specific down in South East Alberta. I am actually considering passing along his name to the authorities before he does something really out there. Guys like that really shouldn't own guns.
I think I read about that guy...
Old 11-22-2019, 02:09 PM

He can't bring me down, I feel he has some kinda drama going on with the other farmer. If he woulda took the time he would have found out that I had just finished dropping off a home made shepherd's pie with a very elderly farmer up the way. He's all busted up with age and runs the show on his own so I wanted him to take a break making himself something to eat tonite after tending his small herd. This guy will never know my kindness for others
Old 11-22-2019, 03:04 PM

This happens all the time. I work in a job that requires me to access private land with permission of course. During hunting season I get neighbours and every Tom, dick and Harry speeding over telling me I can’t be in “ here”. They are playing game warden I think. Once they realize I am not hunting the story changes. I usually tell the land owner and they laugh it off.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:30 PM

This morning, asked for permission to access, resulted in many accusations and threats from the land owner's son.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Yes. I had a land owner “A” come up with an elaborate story saying I was sneaking on from the back side of land owner “B’s” land when I had permission on everyone’s place out there except for the land owner “A’s” place. But land owner “B” has a list of rules if you want to hunt on his place.(like a designated hunter parking area in his drive). So because of land owner “A” ,land owner “B” phoned me and chews me a new one because I wasn’t parked in his designated spot and revoked my permission by permanent sharpie on my truck window. When I fact he trespassed onto my families land that I was hunting that day to find my truck and sharpie it. Two crazy land owners one that gives permission if you get down on your knees and the other guy that never gives anyone permissions phones and causing issues and telling fairy tail stories. Both landowners hunt and have been caught on my families place in the past. Glad they sold that land. It doesn’t matter where you go in this country one guy on your left might be awesome the guy on your right has a 99% chance of being an absolute nutcase.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
This happens all the time. I work in a job that requires me to access private land with permission of course. During hunting season I get neighbours and every Tom, dick and Harry speeding over telling me I can’t be in “ here”. They are playing game warden I think. Once they realize I am not hunting the story changes. I usually tell the land owner and they laugh it off.
Playing game warden says it all !! It’s like a little power trip land owners get for three months of the year, when fact is they are usually trying to kick you off and it’s not even there place.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:31 PM

Yes, especially when deer hunting. November brings the worst out of people in the field.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:33 PM

Default Violent farmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow flyman View Post
Yes, especially when deer hunting. November brings the worst out of people in the field.
You got that right!
Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
WMU 203 has one of these. He even threatened a land owner who caught him trespassing. Told the farmer to try pressing charges and see what happens. Farmer called the cops, they gave the guy a warning.
His son, who didn't have permission on a quarter of land tried kicking some hunters off said land. Didn't work so well because the land owner was sitting in the passenger seat...
Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 PM

We had a strange one goose hunting last month. We pulled into a yard to ask permission, one of us got out and rang the doorbell and no answer. He got back in the vehicle, and we drove to the range road and had driven about a half mile when a vehicle raced up behind us and waved us over. The vehicle pulled up beside us, and the driver started cursing and threatening to shoot our vehicle if we ever came back. The driver was apparently the landowner that lived at the house, and he had seen us drive in and drive away, and
he assumed that we were up to no good. After some conversation he calmed down , and went on his way, and we went on ours. Had we been as hot tempered as the landowner, things could have escalated quickly.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Get some thicker skin, he’s not all that bad of a guy.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Get some thicker skin, he’s not all that bad of a guy.
Oh.. You think its just me? You don't think I was flooded with PMs about the guy. One in particular asked I not share his story as he was literally concerned about his own person safety.

Now thats a guy you want with access to guns? Something isn't right there and you know it.
"Not all that bad of a guy".....

You didn't say. Hey, you git it all wrong, he is a awesome individual who is just misunderstood... You said "Not that bad of a guy".... Some serious issues there I am afraid.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Had some local scumbags in 160 give me and my dad a hard time 12 years ago. I actually quit hunting for a while partly because of this. They harassed us and constantly kept telling us we were trespassing, told us we were on the wrong land and needed to be on another section (they were actually trying to get us to trespass on their buddies land, which made no sense then but later on we understood what they were up to) we would go back to the farmer and confirm all the details. Even the farmer was starting to wonder why we had come back multiple times and which ppl these were causing these issues.

One day our trailer is vandalized while we are out for the morning.

Next time we go we are having lunch on the side of the road and rcmp shows up alleging we were trespassing on another farmers land. We deny the allegation, so he calls in backup. He’s a senior officer and these two that come in as back up are juniors, they can see something is amiss here because they don’t understand why they were called out. They don’t see an infraction.

They talk for a while then the youngest officer gets this disgusted look on his face and turns to his partner. I know bull**** is coming now. Him and his partner come up to us and explain they have to give us trespassing tickets. We say why, they say solemnly “you can fight this in court.” I keep pressing the issue and then I find out the real reason. That senior officer is FRIENDS with the guys who were trying to make us trespass! The junior officer said that we probably shouldn’t even bother hunting out here because of them and that they harass everyone.

So I went to court to fight the tickets on the day that it said to. Court couldn’t find any record of them. So the junior officers didn’t even file the tickets because they knew it was harassment.

I shot the next mule deer buck I saw and haven’t even applied for a mule deer draw ever since. My biggest regret in that hunt was passing up a young buck 4x4 with drop tines; he was nice but I knew he was young so I wanted him to grow up and be somebodies amazing story. I wish I shot him so those scumbags could look on his undersized frame with sorrow. Yeah that sounds petty but eff those guys and their whole effing family.

As for the rcmp officer; he should be ashamed that he used his authority so he could bully ethical hunters. He’s not worthy of the badge and an insult to all law enforcement.

It’s 10 years ago and as I type this... I’m still ****ed off (you may have noticed). I wish I got that first officers badge number but I was pretty young and didn’t know how to handle that kind of situation.

All this over some stupid antlers.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:44 PM

I never go near farm land, just head straight to the big bush crown land. Just too much bull**** to bother with trying to hunt private property, no matter whether you have 'exclusive access' or not.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-22-2019, 09:26 PM

My buddy had gotten landowner permission for 2 fields down by Vegreville to Goose hunt on. He waits until I'm off work and we head out and hunt the next morning I am free. This pickup comes down the road as he hits the road on the way out after the morning hunt.... Guess who??? The leaseholder.... He is losing his **** because we didnt have his permission... Lesson learned always ask landowner if he is leaving his land when seeking permission to hunt
Old 11-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Today was second day of hunting in 238. I was driving around mapping (on I Hunter) all the access points In the Minburn Grazing Lease. I was outside the lease and turned on to a range road that dead ends onto a farm land. Had a farmer drive up the road behind me flag me down and tear me a new ******* even after I explained I made an honest mistake I wasnt hunting I just simply took the wrong road.
Good times.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post

I also found that some individuals run around and post no hunting signs on land that isn't even theirs. Hunting season seems to bring out the crazy in some people

Ran into one of these type in south part of 523. Owns 3 quarters surrounded by crown. Thinks he owns the 4th because he's an outfitter. Access to the 4th i had permission on only by walking through a quarter of crown and he's posted it like it's his own. Lots of trail cams up on crown to catch hunters daring to try accessing what he feels is his. He's even got the road through a sliver of crown, accessing the 4 quarters, gated off, thanks to a surface rights designation.

Did we walk through the Crown to get at the adjacent 1/4 he doesn't own? Yep. Did he come running? Yep. Stimulating conversation followed. Much of it alluding to sex and travel. Conversation ended with one simple question. "You feel like doing something about this right now?" Turns out he didn't. All hat. No balls.

Turns out later the quarter I had permission on didn't hold game that morning, but was a great place to fire off a few rounds. Just to make sure the scope hadnt got bumped on the trip up and assist an outfitter with his angst.

Know your rights. Stand your ground. Educate a cretin.

Last edited by 270person; 11-22-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 PM

There was one out my way and he wouldn't back off and one day he got one hell of a s''''t kicken and left in the ditch.

Sometimes you bug the wrong guys or guy and crap happens, it's all part of learning how to treat people properly and being respectful of others. Just a simple learning skill he learnt the hard way.

Spending time in the hospital and almost forfeiting your own life for no reason makes no sense . Probably some keyboard warrior that thought he was still online and forgot where he was.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:58 PM

I hate November. Phone calls at 6 am or 11pm from strangers looking for permission. Text messages from friends of friends of friends. Strangers driving in to my yard. Not sure if they are coming to steal my quad, my truck, scoping out my shop or coming to asking permission. Finding dead cows, cut fences and busted gates. Heck, I even got yelled at on my own property by guys who allegedly had permission from the “land owner”.
It goes both ways. Did I mention I hate November.....