Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Root canal.

Having my shoulder fixed on December 10th, and find out today that I need to get a root canal done next week. When it rains, it pours. I’ve never had one done. What usually is the recovery time for that? A couple of days I suppose.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:59 AM

Default No sweat

It is pretty easy now. You will be surprised.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Banned

You will prob ask them...are we done..???
Old 11-22-2019, 08:14 AM

It depends on your dentist and what caused you to need the root canal in the first place. If I remember correctly they drill the roots, fill it with some sort of antibiotic (that tastes horrible btw) then put a temporary filling in, then after a week or two you go back for the long term filling. It might be a few days to total recovery or if your like me its been 2 years of constant going back for a proper fit.

Two years ago I had my first root canal done, everything seemed fine for a few weeks then I had to go back to get the tooth ground down a little more. I was fine for a few more weeks then had to go back again. This repeated several times. Eventually we decided to do a root canal on the tooth beside it. There was a really small root that had died and became so calcified the dentist had to try inserting that plastic filler 2 twice and still failed. I had to go back a few weeks later to have that root redone completely. To this day I am still going back for the occasional re grind. No one knows why it keeps happening but it does. Its finally down to a nuisance pain that I can live with but I would rather they just pull the teeth and get it over with.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Maybe you should try a dentist that has an office and not one working out of his garage

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Have had one root canal in my life. Took three appointments just to get the temporary fill in as each time the freezing wore of before dentist was done. Tooth was extremely hard he said. With dental coverage still cost me $440. Was waiting to go back for the permanent finishing touches when I was scheduled for surgery on my neck so was 6 months before I went back. Get there, dentist is amazed I was not in pain as the tooth had broke. Had to be pulled. Cost $165. Should have just done that to begin with and saved 3 sessions in the chair and $440.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Had it done 4weeks ago

1.5 hrs

New white filling

Zero recovery time

Gordon Poznikoff. HERITAGE DENTAL

I've been seeing him since 1989
Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 AM

The ‘ol lady had pain in her jaw. Told her to go see the dentist. She goes in Tuesday for most likely a root canal.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Have had one root canal in my life. Took three appointments just to get the temporary fill in as each time the freezing wore of before dentist was done. Tooth was extremely hard he said. With dental coverage still cost me $440. Was waiting to go back for the permanent finishing touches when I was scheduled for surgery on my neck so was 6 months before I went back. Get there, dentist is amazed I was not in pain as the tooth had broke. Had to be pulled. Cost $165. Should have just done that to begin with and saved 3 sessions in the chair and $440.
That is why some guys go for an implant right away. It seems after a root canal the tooth gets brittle and breaks. A lot of dentists do a crown at the same time they do the root canal. But I am not a dentist.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Why would the dentist be amazed? Didn't s/he extract the root? No root = no pain.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 11-22-2019, 11:45 AM

I go back to work after having mine done, never even needed a Tylenol after the freezing comes out. Had 2 last year. Easy peasy if your dentist knows what they are doing.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:16 PM

Definitely make sure it’s a good dentist doing it , mine took 2.5 to 3 hrs to do, with nitrous it wasn’t bad and there was no recovery time, but you don’t want someone who would be better suited to work on horses doing it.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Maybe you should try a dentist that has an office and not one working out of his garage
I agree....not like a walk-in patient in India....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoBYttpiqg8

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:17 PM

as mentioned above go with an anchor. Here is why

Front tooth beside the beaver tooth has a cavity. Grade 4-5. Tooth cavity fixed - or so thought so. Dentist 1

Major pain. And Root cannel in grade 8 or 9 Dentist 2

Abscess showed up about 8 years later. Reentry on root cannel around 20. Dentist 3

About 3-4 years from that, plastic crown and perm crowned the tooth as it was quite crooked- cosmetic. Dentist 3

About 2 years later Shattered crown off while under some bad hypnosis drugs while in hospital- meningitis. recrowned. Dentist 3

10 years later crown was becoming loose/weak , and snapped the inside post off whe eating McDonalds fries. Dentist 4

Dentist said all the work done with crowns prior removed portions of the original tooth each time when broken, now too deep to recrown. Only option is to do an anchor. Remove the crooked original too under the gum line. Pack in bone marrow and let reheal. Dentist 4/5

Come back in a month or so and drilled a straight hole and run in a titanium anchor. Allowed 1 month to heal and then glued on a cap over titanium. Dentist 4/5.

Tomorrow i am 42. I figured over 10,000 to date on this tooth alone. I may out a year or two on my dates but you get the jist of it.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Had it done 4weeks ago

1.5 hrs

New white filling

Zero recovery time

Gordon Poznikoff. HERITAGE DENTAL

I've been seeing him since 1989

Poz is a great guy. Known him persoanlly for years.

Daughter is a budding young country singer as well.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
That is why some guys go for an implant right away. It seems after a root canal the tooth gets brittle and breaks. A lot of dentists do a crown at the same time they do the root canal. But I am not a dentist.
Exactly this. Take out the root and the tooth dies. Been there done that. Not sure what to suggest cause it really depends on your dental coverage, if you have any. Implants big bucks. Crowns? Vary in price. I've heard a trip to Mexico or Cuba is well worth the price compared to our gouging prices here
Old 11-22-2019, 07:23 PM

Default Root canal

What would the recovery time by on an implant?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:43 PM

Default Check with your surgeon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Having my shoulder fixed on December 10th, and find out today that I need to get a root canal done next week. When it rains, it pours. I’ve never had one done. What usually is the recovery time for that? A couple of days I suppose.
Before you get any work done on your teeth, you really should check with your surgeon's office to make sure that they don't have any restrictions on use of anesthetics / antibiotics / etc. prior to your shoulder surgery. They should have a list available of what is acceptable, and should be able to check your file to make sure that there are no special considerations required by the anesthesiologist or the surgeon who are planning your shoulder surgery. You can supply the list to your dentist to make sure that they will not be using any meds that could cause your shoulder surgery to be delayed.

As for the original question --- I've usually wanted a nap after a root canal, but otherwise had no "recovery time" at all.

Hope both the tooth and shoulder repairs go well for you!

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions....It's the only way to make progress." - from Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth
Old 11-22-2019, 09:15 PM

For sure talk to your Doctors about both your dental work and shoulder surgery. I had to take antibiotics for 2 years after my shoulder surgery when I would go to the dentist. I recently just had open heart surgery and they took me to the dentist before I had surgery. They don't do fillings or crowns or root canal. Just extractions. Now I will need antibiotics everytime I see a dentist for life. And no dental work for 6 months after the heart surgery. Things I never thought of. Luckily I take good care of the teeth and I had no extractions prior to surgery. Good luck with both!!!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-22-2019, 10:51 PM

Had one done, root never froze so when he touch it I almost went through the roof, then he directly froze the root. Nothing to it after that. But do get a crown or it will break. All the best