Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Peavey Mart Cast Iron Cooking

We’re coming back into that time of year....

Last “Black Friday” sale Peavey Mart had a great sale on their cast iron cooking ware.

I forget what the exact details were but you got multiple skillets, Dutch oven, and accessories for a great price.

Anybody have this stuff? Is it worth buying?
Old 10-27-2019, 09:07 PM

I think they're made by lodge. They're not the best, but the castings are generally sound. A bit of sanding with a non woven fibre rust remover will smooth them up and make them better.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Default Cast cook set

It was the camp chef set.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I think they're made by lodge. They're not the best, but the castings are generally sound. A bit of sanding with a non woven fibre rust remover will smooth them up and make them better.
A few yrs ago my wife bought me a crappy Cabelas 14" pan for Christmas. The cooking surface was rough and the whole deal was junk. I had nothing to lose so took it downstairs and put a 5inch mini grinder with flapper disc to it and shined it. After proper seasoning and care it works great. I think any cast pan could be made to work well with the same treatment.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
A few yrs ago my wife bought me a crappy Cabelas 14" pan for Christmas. The cooking surface was rough and the whole deal was junk. I had nothing to lose so took it downstairs and put a 5inch mini grinder with flapper disc to it and shined it. After proper seasoning and care it works great. I think any cast pan could be made to work well with the same treatment.
Yes, although I hear the stuff from China has some interesting trace components in the metal, like lead.

Keep an eye out for the vintage stuff at garage sales or on Kijiji. There's some really nice iron out there.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
That’s a good tip. I’ll keep that in mind. I think I have some scouring and sanding pads for my pneumatic die grinder. Would probably work well.

Does anyone actually have this set?

Is it worth buying?

I don’t have time for garage sales.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Lodge had the highest rated 12" cast iron skillet in some culinary magazine I read on the toilet. I bought two a few years ago. Excellent pan.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Yes, although I hear the stuff from China has some interesting trace components in the metal, like lead.
What was the source of this intel?

I could bring in my pans to work and have the PMI guys test it for lead.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
What was the source of this intel?

I could bring in my pans to work and have the PMI guys test it for lead.
You're right, there is a lot of controversy on this issue. Lots of internet chatter that it does, lots of chatter that it doesn't.

If it does, does it come from the source metal, the factory process, or from the seasoning technique?

For my money, I'd stay away from it just on the basis of the lead contamination that has been found and documented in products from China, such as children's toys.

Feel free to buy it, use it and/or test it if you wish.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Interesting there lots of rumors and speculation about cast iron cookware not only from China but vintage as well because it was frequently used to melt lead for bullets and plumbing.
Lodge enameled cookware is made in China some colors contain small amounts of lead.

https://tamararubin.com/2015/12/ask-...ron-pans-safe/
Old 10-30-2019, 03:03 PM

Check the Cabela's stuff. You can get the full set for around 120$ when it goes on sale
Old 11-22-2019, 02:04 AM

I was in Peavey Mart today and the 6 piece Camp Chef set is $99.99 Which is a great price as it is compared to others I saw online. I think Home Depot was like $179.99 for what looks like the same set?

I think last year this set was $49.99 at Peavey Mart.

The reviews on the camp chef seem ok for that low of a price point?
I’ve seen the Cabelas set as well, looks similar, maybe feels lighter?
I think it was on sale Black Friday last year too.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:41 AM

I use quite a few cast iron pans and skillets. They are something you buy once and hand down for generations, most of mine are at least 80 years old. Buy the best you can find, the ones from Peavy Mart and Cabela's are both very poorly cast, rough and in many cases not flat/level on the bottom. In addition to checking for flat bottoms, make sure they have the helper handle opposite the main handle, and pour spouts.

Field and Smithey both make the old style cast with the real smooth interior and a truly flat bottom. Lodge and Victoria would be next in line. Of the inexpensive skillets the Camp Chef Series probably come closest to what I would call a good skillet.

Realistically, if you pay 50 bucks for a pan and it lasts 100 years that works out to 50 cents a year.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM

This weeks Canadian Tire flyer shows a 10” Lagostina cast iron pan for $20 down from $90

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/l...8323p.html#srp
Old 11-22-2019, 08:52 AM

I have Lodge cast iron and despite the rougher surface I find they do well. Haven't had an issue thus far.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I have Lodge cast iron and despite the rougher surface I find they do well. Haven't had an issue thus far.
If you want some top notch Cast, you can buy old Wagner Skillets on Canadian Ebay for 20-60 dollars. It is top notch stuff, well made and very smooth. It also has a bit of a collector following so they are easy to resell.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
This weeks Canadian Tire flyer shows a 10” Lagostina cast iron pan for $20 down from $90

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/l...8323p.html#srp

I’ll have to check that out. I have bought a few of the Lagostina nonstick pans over the years, usually also on sale at CTC and always been happy for the value for the money.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:06 PM

I pretty much exclusively use cast iron except for tomato base dishes. I have a few different brands and one no name I bought at princess auto with no issues. I season them with canola oil inside and out place them upside down on a rack in the oven with a pan underneath to catch any drippings hold at 350 degrees F for one hour, shut off and allow to cool with the door closed. Do it on a nice day with all the windows open.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I’ll have to check that out. I have bought a few of the Lagostina nonstick pans over the years, usually also on sale at CTC and always been happy for the value for the money.
I was in there today and they had a rather rough surface finish, but they also included a removable silicone handle sleeve. I didn't see on the label the country of manufacture, but its a fair bet that its China.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Default Pans

I have Cabellas and a Camp Chef set of cast iron no problem with either but make sure you treat them right no soap only clean with hot water and a brush and let them dry before u put them away a little canola oil on them helps now and again. MIne get used on the stove in the house, campfires and my camp stove and no trouble with them, I do stay away from tomato based recipes
Old 11-22-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I have Cabellas and a Camp Chef set of cast iron no problem with either but make sure you treat them right no soap only clean with hot water and a brush and let them dry before u put them away a little canola oil on them helps now and again. MIne get used on the stove in the house, campfires and my camp stove and no trouble with them, I do stay away from tomato based recipes

Thanks,

Do you have a preference of the Camp Chef over the Cabellas?

Seems like the Camp Chef you can get a little more for a little less, atleast from Peavey Mart?

You’d buy these again?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I was in there today and they had a rather rough surface finish, but they also included a removable silicone handle sleeve. I didn't see on the label the country of manufacture, but its a fair bet that its China.
I've got news for you, most everything you find now a days will be rough compared to the vintage stuff.

The CT ones at the front of the store were $45, if you go back to the shelves they're $20 without the handle sleeve (Dalhousie anyway)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM

Same here, the one with the silicone sleeve was more money.

I did buy one of the Lagostina ones on sale for $19.99.

It’s not great, I was at Peavey Mart afterward and saw a Camp Chef one that was bigger and seemed better quality to me for less than $30 I think.

I think I might just buy the Camp Chef set even if it doesn’t go on sale. For $100 it seems pretty good. Peavey Mart is by far the best price, other retailers are advertising what seems like the same set for around $180

The Canadian Tire Skillet might get returned.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Same here, the one with the silicone sleeve was more money.

I did buy one of the Lagostina ones on sale for $19.99.

It’s not great, I was at Peavey Mart afterward and saw a Camp Chef one that was bigger and seemed better quality to me for less than $30 I think.

I think I might just buy the Camp Chef set even if it doesn’t go on sale. For $100 it seems pretty good. Peavey Mart is by far the best price, other retailers are advertising what seems like the same set for around $180

The Canadian Tire Skillet might get returned.
The Camp Chef set is far better cast iron than the CT stuff. You can improve the Peavy Mart stuff a lot by polishing the inside bottom smooth, just make sure you don't get high and low spots when your doing it. A 4" orbital sander works really great for doing that kind of work. You can also use one of those quick strip pads for the first step. Make sure to wear glasses/googles and a face mask. Cast iron dust is nasty.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-27-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The Camp Chef set is far better cast iron than the CT stuff. You can improve the Peavy Mart stuff a lot by polishing the inside bottom smooth, just make sure you don't get high and low spots when your doing it. A 4" orbital sander works really great for doing that kind of work. You can also use one of those quick strip pads for the first step. Make sure to wear glasses/googles and a face mask. Cast iron dust is nasty.
Well it isn't CT stuff exactly, it's made by Lagostina. They've been in the cookware business since about 1934. They show the exact same pan on their website so it wouldn't be a low grade "made for CT" as such.

Doesn't mean it's great, it just shouldn't be thrown in with a lot of the junk CT sells.

Sanding down and re-seasoning new pans is a good idea. I've done it with quite a few, including the new Lodge stuff which is quite rough these days.

It can be a bit tricky to get a good re-season layer on, but it can be done. Lots of youtube on the process.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Well it isn't CT stuff exactly, it's made by Lagostina. They've been in the cookware business since about 1934. They show the exact same pan on their website so it wouldn't be a low grade "made for CT" as such.

Doesn't mean it's great, it just shouldn't be thrown in with a lot of the junk CT sells.

Sanding down and re-seasoning new pans is a good idea. I've done it with quite a few, including the new Lodge stuff which is quite rough these days.

It can be a bit tricky to get a good re-season layer on, but it can be done. Lots of youtube on the process.
The packaging on them said made in China, so they weren't out of Italy. I was surprised to also see them on Lagostina's own website.

You can see some items at CT that have a name brand on them but aren't available anywhere else, for instance about 7 or so years ago they had pallets of Kitchen Aid branded enamelled cast iron dutch ovens, I bought one as a gift and the enamel was broken to smithereens inside once it was opened. I went to exchange it and made sure to open the replacement one to inspect it in front of the employee; I had to open somewhere over 7 or 8 to find one with intact enamel, which proved my point that the breakage certainly wasn't from my mishandling of it. Its as though they were shipped entire pallets of broken pots, perhaps even an entire shipping container for all I know ...
Old 11-27-2019, 01:22 PM

Unfortunately name branding doesn't guarantee quality any more. So many large brands will "license" their name on substandard products. I look at where stuff is made and do not rely on the brand name any more. With Lodge and Field cast iron, both are still made in the States.

Lagostina, camp chef and the stuff Cabelas sells is made in China. That said, China invented cast iron however it is all about the manufacturing process and most stuff isn't made in China to get better build quality, it is all about the cheapest price.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:48 PM

You guys that are sanding and then reseasoning your cast iron before use, are you removing the existing seasoning like in a self cleaning oven before you sand or just start at the surface with the seasoning already on it?

I’ve got some 3M sort of scouring pads for stripping paint on a pneumatic die grinder. I thought that might work well.

I noticed that the Camp Chef seasoning is a lot stickier than it was on the Lagostina. Not sure what that means?

Most sources I’ve read say that you should add seasoning regardless of its preseasoned or not.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
You guys that are sanding and then reseasoning your cast iron before use, are you removing the existing seasoning like in a self cleaning oven before you sand or just start at the surface with the seasoning already on it?

I’ve got some 3M sort of scouring pads for stripping paint on a pneumatic die grinder. I thought that might work well.

I noticed that the Camp Chef seasoning is a lot stickier than it was on the Lagostina. Not sure what that means?

Most sources I’ve read say that you should add seasoning regardless of its preseasoned or not.
Myself, I just sand it down, seasoning and all until the surface is smooth. Not sure why you'd want to do it in two separate steps.

I'll use flax seed oil, olive oil or lard and add seasoning to a new pan by baking it in the oven. 3 or 4 coats.

re-season after every use also. Just heat the clean pan on a burner until too hot to touch on the cooking surface, add a LITTLE olive oil or flax seed oil, wipe it in and wipe off any extra so it's not sticky when cool.

I never use soap in my pans and you don't need it if the pan is seasoned well enough.

Kent Rollins has a ton of good tips for cleaning, seasoning, selecting cast iron etc. on youtube.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Myself, I just sand it down, seasoning and all until the surface is smooth. Not sure why you'd want to do it in two separate steps.

I'll use flax seed oil, olive oil or lard and add seasoning to a new pan by baking it in the oven. 3 or 4 coats.

re-season after every use also. Just heat the clean pan on a burner until too hot to touch on the cooking surface, add a LITTLE olive oil or flax seed oil, wipe it in and wipe off any extra so it's not sticky when cool.

I never use soap in my pans and you don't need it if the pan is seasoned well enough.

Kent Rollins has a ton of good tips for cleaning, seasoning, selecting cast iron etc. on youtube.
I just used a 60 grit sanding disk on my round pneumatic sander and sanded to make smooth. I then followed that by 180 grit and 400 to make it look like glass. Seasoned it with lard and that is it. That was about 5 years ago and honestly you can fry an egg and when you go to flip it you have to be quick because it will just slid all over the pan it is so slick.