Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 PM

A lot of players dont want to play for Babcock. He's probably finished as a coach. He got paid way too much by the leaf's and no other team will pony up that kind of dough.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
A lot of players dont want to play for Babcock. He's probably finished as a coach. He got paid way too much by the leaf's and no other team will pony up that kind of dough.
Are coaches part of the salary cap or separate?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
The game has changed so immensely in the last 5 years or so.

These A-hole no bs, my way or the highway coaches don’t work anymore.
Players have changed more.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Are coaches part of the salary cap or separate?
Separate

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-20-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Crazy. I’m assuming O’Keefe gets his trial in the NHL after being a good soldier coaching the Marlies. But, I also wonder if he’s just going to be a stop gap until Dubas can get his guy... never was his hiring.
Keefe is Dubas’ guy. He’s hired him in three different leagues.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
I'm interested to see how it plays out. My understanding is if the Leafs give permission, and someone else hires him, the Leafs are financially off the hook, and they currently owe him about $22M. So, unless he's essentially coaching for "free", someone is going to have to offer more $22M for the next 3.5 years. Is the inactivity or love of the game going to bring him back for a lower salary, is someone going to pony up (Tampa, Buffalo, Calgary, Nashville, San Jose are all teams that were expecting to be solidly in the playoff race and are currently sitting on the outside looking in), or is he going to sit out for the next 3.5 years?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Didn’t think they would do it so early with $20M still left in salary. Dumbasz is still standing. Wonder how long
Old 11-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Banned

According to Twitter, Mike Commodore is having a good day.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Players have changed more.
That’s what I kind of meant. The game in general including the players. The young players have the control, which used to have to be earned.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
That’s what I kind of meant. The game in general including the players. The young players have the control, which used to have to be earned.
Agreed....and it's too bad. Mathews is a punk, and I'm sure had his feelers hurt easily. He wouldn't be the only one
Old 11-20-2019, 07:07 PM

I'm a little upset he got let go, I was loving the center of the universe crying about the poor play of the leaf's. Only team I like seeing lose more is the Canadiens.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Didn’t think they would do it so early with $20M still left in salary. Dumbasz is still standing. Wonder how long
This ^

Old 11-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Meanwhile Lou Lamoriello doing just fine at 15-3-1.

Dumbasz overpaid for Nylander and got hosed from there on down...….no cap to work with, over payed mediocre players...……..Life is Great
Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 PM

He will be coaching the Flames soon

I am surprised he took the fall this soon, mirrors the Mclelland/Chirelli fallout.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
He will be coaching the Flames soon

I am surprised he took the fall this soon, mirrors the Mclelland/Chirelli fallout.
Toronna is always following the Oilers lead. I think the name for it is western envy!

BW
Old 11-20-2019, 08:36 PM

:fi ghting0030:
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
I'm a little upset he got let go, I was loving the center of the universe crying about the poor play of the leaf's. Only team I like seeing lose more is the Canadiens.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
The title say's it all, the leafs got spanked in Pittsburgh tonight, I think Babcock is on thin ice ??? he might be joining Cherry in the unemployment line
And now that thin ice broke, I figured he would be gone ny the end of this month, next guy to go is the flames Bill Peters, the flames are down right awful, once the coach looses the dressing room for whatever reason he has to go

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:37 PM

CBC: Off-ice incident between Marner, Babcock overshadows Keefe's 1st home practice with Leafs
Quote:
A report from the Toronto Sun on Monday revealed Babcock brought a rookie into his office during the 2016-17 season and asked him to list players on the team from hardest working to least hard-working.

The rookie obliged, but was taken aback when his list was shared with the teammates he placed at the bottom.

After Monday's practice, Mitch Marner confirmed a further report from The Athletic that he was the rookie in question.

Marner told TSN that Babcock's method of instilling work ethic was "surprising."

"[What happened with Babcock], that was my first year, I didn't really know what to think of it," Marner said. "But it's all over with now, there's really nothing I can say. I'm looking forward to the future and the new change and seeing how I can help this team win with Sheldon."

Babcock sent a text messages to Sportsnet reporter Elliotte Friedman saying he apologized to Marner for the incident at the time.
Lol, the guy is a turd.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:46 PM

That story is unbelievable.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 PM

I liked Babcock before reading that story. You would have to be a real piece of crap to set up a kid like that.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-02-2019, 11:30 PM

^ But wait, there is more, lol.

CBC: Former Red Wings Chelios, Franzen accuse Mike Babcock of 'verbal assault'
Quote:
Former Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock is coming under additional fire for his methods of player treatment.

Hall of Fame defenceman Chris Chelios recalled Babcock "verbally assaulting" teammate Johan Franzen during a playoff series. Chelios and Franzen were teammates with the Red Wings under Babcock from 2005 to 2009.

"Some of the things [Babcock said to Franzen] on the bench, I don't know what he said to him behind closed doors one-on-one, but he blatantly verbally assaulted him during the game on the bench," Chelios told the Spittin' Chiclets Podcast in an episode released Monday.

Franzen later confirmed the allegation to Swedish newspaper Expressen.

"I get the shivers when I think about it. That incident occurred against Nashville in the playoffs. It was coarse, nasty and shocking. But that was just one out of a hundred things he did. The tip of the iceberg," Franzen said.

Franzen, who Chelios says was hurt at the time of the incident, has not appeared in the NHL since 2015 due to post-concussion syndromes. In 2018, Franzen told Expressen that he'd been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder while also dealing with severe anxiety, depression and panic attacks.

Franzen said Babcock would say "horrible things" to teammates. He added that beginning in 2011, he was "terrified of being at the rink" after the first time Babcock berated him.

"He's a terrible person, the worst I have ever met. He's a bully who was attacking people. It could be a cleaner at the arena in Detroit or anybody. He would lay into people without any reason," Franzen said.

Chelios also spoke about Babcock's treatment of veterans.

"What he did to [Mike] Modano was incredibly disrespectful," he added. "What he did to, just recently, [Jason] Spezza in Toronto, those were the things that are so unnecessary."

While coaching Detroit in its 2010-2011 season, Babcock elected to make Modano a healthy scratch with 1,499 career games played, preventing the forward from reaching the prestigious 1,500-game milestone. He scratched Spezza in this year's season opener in what would've been the 36-year-old's Maple Leafs debut in his hometown of Toronto against his former team, the Ottawa Senators.

"When something did happen and there was some second guessing, and it got to [GM] Ken Holland, [he] came down to the room and had this speech, and supported Mike Babcock," Chelios said.

"It was a great speech, but it was to tell everybody in the room, 'you don't like it, you could be traded, so come up and see me to be traded.' So that was the way that ended."
Old 12-03-2019, 05:03 AM

Yeah this guy is a jackarse. No room for this in any sport and the players let him know by their level of play, coach loses the room, gets canned and now the real stories come out. New generation doesn’t react well to old school jerk tactics.

Last edited by Austin; 12-03-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Analyze the game with 2019 eyeglasses and all the past years of the game are a shocker as to what was excepted and what went on from the players to the coaches to,the support staff...if you dig up what was and throw it into today's mix most which makes for good scum news reporting people shudder and paint a picture of a horrible beast of a coach etc.

Now a bunch of ex players get on a pod cast etc and spew when they should look at thier last too......just saying....this is a complete croque but weak minds enjoy just that snowflake drama.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
That story is unbelievable.
Story.....breath people.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:54 AM

At this moment with this " #me too " just warming up there are a pile of coaches in every sport that are crapping their pants and waiting for the social media storm, it just takes 1 guy that feels he was somehow berated, verbally abused etc. now Mark Crawford and it's just starting to gain speed, there will be more NHL teams without a coach before x-mass you cam bet on that

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
At this moment with this " #me too " just warming up there are a pile of coaches in every sport that are crapping their pants and waiting for the social media storm, it just takes 1 guy that feels he was somehow berated, verbally abused etc. now Mark Crawford and it's just starting to gain speed, there will be more NHL teams without a coach before x-mass you cam bet on that
Very sad....10, 15 or 20 years ago things were very different, mental health etc was not even on the radar...performance was as in getting the win and advancing to the playoffs for the championship now like I mentioned if we view this through eye glasses of today sure it looks really bad etc but it was a acceptable approach but it gives the media meat for BS writing etc.

We all can tell stories of how it was and man the younger generation would just be completely appalled on what was acceptable.... very sad.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Analyze the game with 2019 eyeglasses and all the past years of the game are a shocker as to what was excepted and what went on from the players to the coaches to,the support staff...if you dig up what was and throw it into today's mix most which makes for good scum news reporting people shudder and paint a picture of a horrible beast of a coach etc.

Now a bunch of ex players get on a pod cast etc and spew when they should look at thier last too......just saying....this is a complete croque but weak minds enjoy just that snowflake drama.
I disagree. It wasn’t Frazen, who said anything in the first place, it was Chris Chelios. Only 2 other guys played more games in the league than that “snowflake” did. If that particular incident stuck with him, there is gotta be something about it. And he never stroke me as a guy who needs attention. I always liked Frazen too, he was a good fit to the best team at the time.

And the Modano story? Lol. The guy retired one game short of 1,500. And I believe he is behind Chelios, only 3 other guys played more than he did in the NHL.

You say old school, I say turd. Willing to bet my money there aren’t many who would be saying similar things about Scotty Bowman, for example.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM

As I've always said; Babcock is a complete phony. This couldn't happen to a worse person.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I disagree. It wasn’t Frazen, who said anything in the first place, it was Chris Chelios. Only 2 other guys played more games in the league than that “snowflake” did. If that particular incident stuck with him, there is gotta be something about it. And he never stroke me as a guy who needs attention. I always liked Frazen too, he was a good fit to the best team at the time.

And the Modano story? Lol. The guy retired one game short of 1,500. And I believe he is behind Chelios, only 3 other guys played more than he did in the NHL.

You say old school, I say turd. Willing to bet my money there aren’t many who would be saying similar things about Scotty Bowman, for example.
Frazen did speak to media....as for Scotty here is a take on a article which like all players they have opinions and some like and some dislike.
“The difference between the three. House and Jobs were cruel. Scotty was never cruel (although some of his players may dispute that.) Scotty knew how good we were in Montreal as a team, individually, and he knew we had no right not to be as good as we were. It was his job to remind us of that, indirectly, directly, however it worked, in tone, message, whatever it needed to be. If you are the best, you have no right not to be the best.”
At the end of the day what was...was and when looked upon nowadays was not acceptable...we have evolved out with the old and in with the new just don't get wrapped up on dirty laundry cuz it was acceptable at one point in time.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Mike Babcock.....the other side of accomplishments....not too bad.

Born
April 29, 1963 (age 56)
Manitouwadge, Ontario, Canada

Nationality
Canadian

Occupation
Coach

Coaching career

Previous team(s)
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
Detroit Red Wings
Toronto Maple Leafs

Stanley Cup wins

Years as a coach
1991–2019

Years as an NHL coach
2002–2019

Michael Babcock Jr. (born April 29, 1963) is a Canadian professional ice hockey coach who most recently served as head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League (NHL). He previously spent 10 seasons as head coach of the Detroit Red Wings, winning the Stanley Cup with them in 2008 and helping them to the Stanley Cup Playoffs every year during his tenure. He holds the record as the coach with the most wins in Red Wings history, surpassing that of Jack Adams. He has also served as head coach of the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, whom he helped to the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals.

Babcock was born in Manitouwadge, Ontario and grew up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.[1] As of December 2019, he is the only coach to gain entry to the Triple Gold Club, having guided the Red Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2008, as well as leading Team Canada to gold at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships in 2004, the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Babcock is the only coach to win six distinct national or international titles, guiding Canada to gold at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey and the IIHF World Junior Championships in 1997 and the University of Lethbridge to the CIS University Cup in 1994.