Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Default The future of classic muscle cars ?

With all the buzz about climate change and the evolution of the electric vehicles, where do the classics fit in our future ?

Will the value hold true and the real classics still be in demand ?

Personally I think they will retain the current values, but won't appreciate much...
Old 11-20-2019, 04:54 PM

The big market for old muscle cars is baby boomers with money...

As the boomers fade away so will these cars, there will still be a market to a degree, just like people still buy model T’s but the market is going stagnant and they will depreciate in value some.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:17 PM

I think it will always be a strong market and value will go up if anything. Supply and demand.

Lots of people who weren't around in the years these amazing muscle cars were brought out still have an interest in them.
It's not just about what you had when you were younger or what was rolling off the line at the time. My Corvette is 10 years older than I am and was a 26 year old car when I first got a licence my Nova was even older yet.

I think the real market with be in original untouched cars then the next will be in restored to original. Lots of guys (myself included) enjoy the building up of cars and I wouldn't want to start with someones completed restoration.

As time goes on there is less and less of these cars around. Rusted away, parted out or wrecked then the ones that are completely disassembled with good intentions never to be rebuilt.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:28 PM

I was at barrett jackson with my dad. When he married my mom my grandfather was very well off, my dad said if he had a crystal ball he would have borrowed $40,000 boought 10 69 challengers and parked them.

That day in scottsdale a 69 numbers matching plum purple with likee 500 original miles went for nearly a mil!!
Old 11-20-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
With all the buzz about climate change and the evolution of the electric vehicles, where do the classics fit in our future ?

Will the value hold true and the real classics still be in demand ?

Personally I think they will retain the current values, but won't appreciate much...
Hard to know for sure.

I see quite a few muscle cars re-fitted with modern power brakes, power steering, better handling suspension, better performing calipers and even some go as far as crate engines and transmissions. These are really no longer classics are they?

I'm not sure where the "line" is between "original classic" versus "modified and improved".

For me I'd be adding power steering and brakes to keep the car safe, and maybe look at tightening up the suspension and handling. The rest might be re-upholstered, re-painted, re-built.

Certainly the more you do to it, the more you take away the character of the classic vehicle.

And at some point further down the line, you might as well buy a modern corvette or mustang.

I think there will always be a market for vehicles like these - it's just along what lines .... original classic, or something in between, or a modern version of the muscle car.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM

Hindsight is 20/20 and if you bought the right cars at the right time you wouldn’t have a worry in the world. IMO the real classics and established valuable muscle cars will only appreciate with time. Most high value collector cars are not being driven anyway.... so gas being expensive, or greenhouse concerns I don’t think will impact much. At least in the next 10-20 years. More on more old guys will be realizing they have boat loads of cash sitting around and might as well treat themselves.

Also people are still buying these cars strictly as investments. I think it has stabilized and increased the market as the cars get bought and hidden away! Major issue with the really special old cars. If anyone had a numbered company, I hear we can collector cars now as investments!! So keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
The big market for old muscle cars is baby boomers with money...

As the boomers fade away so will these cars, there will still be a market to a degree, just like people still buy model T’s but the market is going stagnant and they will depreciate in value some.
I know of several cases where owners couldn't recoup their investment in old cars, to some of us that's all they are. They require special storage, that's not always easy to come by, Jay Leno being the exception .

Grizz
Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 PM

I love the hobby as much as anyone else, spend lots on my c10 parts, but I think it is going to falter somewhat as the money dries up to overpay for this stuff. Its too expensive, and the next gen are already behind he 8 ball with stupid housing prices etc.. Buyer pool will shrink.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:14 PM

My son is in grade 11. He likes The Beatles. He makes me take him to Little Lot to look at muscle cars and drool. They will be just fine.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:58 PM

They’ll continue to increase in value as supply dwindles. Expensive hobby. I can clearly imagine my old vehicles stripped to the chassis, on there way to revival. Ain’t going to happen though (sigh).
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM

I wonder in 20 years will it even be legal to start up an old ICE. Special permit required and exhaust to be run through expensive filtration.
It will be so socially unacceptable to environmental warriors that you would be better received if you just clubbed a baby seal.
Greta will see to that.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son is in grade 11. He likes The Beatles. He makes me take him to Little Lot to look at muscle cars and drool. They will be just fine.
My son is in grade 11 too and all he or his friends want are souped-up civics and sports cars, not old hot rods or muscle cars.

I would agree there will always be a market for old iron, but I see the value of them going down a bit once the baby-boomers pass on. That generation had a connection to those cars because they grew up looking at and wanting them. Owning one brings them back to their youth. I’m a gen-x’r born in ‘72. I could see my generation still wanting one, as I do, but I don’t see most people my age having that connection to the point where they would pay just about anything to have one, like some boomers would.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:08 AM

There's a shift in thinking with each generation. It'll be hard for alot of those "investments" to come to fruition.

Millenials just don't want nice (useless) things. For a millenial, it's about having less material things and more experiences.

It's kind of the same reason I'd be worried if I (or my parents) had a $1million property. It will be very hard to sell in 10+ years. These next generations just don't want that stuff.

Now, on the Car side of things, There are multiple companies creating products where you can convert your ICE car to EV, and it would be a "drop-in", ie, bolt up to transmissions (if you wanted to use one, of just get rid of it).
Old 11-21-2019, 10:23 AM

The best and rarest muscle cars will probably retain most of their value or continue to go up.

Some people will continue to tinker and build restomods - just because they like it.

For myself, I probably will not build or have another one. I am getting too old to care if I look "cool" or not.

The current offerings - Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Corvette - exponentially exceed the performance, handling and comfort of yesterdays musclecars.
There is just no comparison.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 AM

I think the reason kids like the rice rockets is they have never experienced a true musclecar.

My son bought himself a 2005 Mustang GT a year and a half ago, he was 19 at the time. Had been talking about getting one for years and is really happy with the car. It is a fun car to drive, and he really takes care of it.

A couple years ago, one of his friends drove in the yard with a white Jetta. He said it had over 300hp. I couldn't help but laugh and asked him what made him think it had that much power? He said he paid some outfit in Edmonton to install a turbo and they told him it was 300HP. First thing I pointed out was the "Cold air intake" was sucking in hot radiator air and was detrimental to what they told him. He took me for a ride, and I would say it had about 180hp, but I didn't mention that to him as I didn't want to crush his feelings about his car.

So, I took him for a ride in my 68 Mercury Cyclone GT. Drove quietly and gently around for about ten minutes letting it warm up, he was blabbering the whole time. Then when he least expected it I put the hammer down and took off, smoking tires and fishtailing all over the road. Tires finally hook up at about 50mph and off we go, set back in our seats. He was scared and freaked out, it was so priceless. He finally shut up and I said, "Now THAT is 300 hp!".

My daughter worked with him at the same restaurant at the time and she said he was talking about my car for weeks! Said it was an absolute beast! lol.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post
I think the reason kids like the rice rockets is they have never experienced a true musclecar.

My son bought himself a 2005 Mustang GT a year and a half ago, he was 19 at the time. Had been talking about getting one for years and is really happy with the car. It is a fun car to drive, and he really takes care of it.

A couple years ago, one of his friends drove in the yard with a white Jetta. He said it had over 300hp. I couldn't help but laugh and asked him what made him think it had that much power? He said he paid some outfit in Edmonton to install a turbo and they told him it was 300HP. First thing I pointed out was the "Cold air intake" was sucking in hot radiator air and was detrimental to what they told him. He took me for a ride, and I would say it had about 180hp, but I didn't mention that to him as I didn't want to crush his feelings about his car.

So, I took him for a ride in my 68 Mercury Cyclone GT. Drove quietly and gently around for about ten minutes letting it warm up, he was blabbering the whole time. Then when he least expected it I put the hammer down and took off, smoking tires and fishtailing all over the road. Tires finally hook up at about 50mph and off we go, set back in our seats. He was scared and freaked out, it was so priceless. He finally shut up and I said, "Now THAT is 300 hp!".

My daughter worked with him at the same restaurant at the time and she said he was talking about my car for weeks! Said it was an absolute beast! lol.
I pictured that in my head and smiled...chuckled too...shut'em up real quick eh!

as for 'merican muscle cars...they will never die! fluctuate in value but will always remain collectable.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2019, 12:56 PM

I’m a young guy who grew up around old muscle cars and have a lot of friends into cars and things that go fast. Honestly? Not many, including myself, would really care to buy one. For an equivalent price of an old Cuda or Chevlle, you can buy one helluva fast, sexy, nice to drive newer Camaro, Mustang, or import ride.

Further, I also know a ton of people who couldn’t give a damn about cars. Nothing more than an appliance to them.

Add in cost of housing, student debt, etc... don’t see there being much of a market for millennials. Maybe to billionaires in Saudi Arabia...
Old 11-21-2019, 01:12 PM

I believe the future of muscle cars is the resto mod type car. fuel injected engine, 6 speed manual transmission, four linked with big brakes. Sure its lots of money but some people will always want an old car that performs better then a new one.

If you ever hear someone complaining about not having AC/power steering/fancy stereo/etc in the old cars then as far as I'm concerned they're not a muscle car guy. I'm sure the allure will always be in a state of decline, but I don't believe its a very fast decline.

I'm 28 and in my group of friends 6 of us have old cars, definitely on the lower end of the age scale for this demographic but to say its for wealthy people is ignorant. Some cars are 100k, but most are 5k and need some time/money put in, maybe the do it yourself nature of old muscle cars is what's really dying off, I think wrenching on them is have the fun.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I wonder in 20 years will it even be legal to start up an old ICE. Special permit required and exhaust to be run through expensive filtration.
It will be so socially unacceptable to environmental warriors that you would be better received if you just clubbed a baby seal.
Greta will see to that.
Problem solved for those who have deep pockets.

https://themotormasters.com/electric...c-ford-bronco/
Old 11-21-2019, 10:34 PM

Sorry, To say most musclecars are 5k isn’t reality. My foxbody 5 litre mustangs I brought back from Vegas many times are well past 5k now.

Can you pick up an old car for cheap? Sure, especially if it is a 4 dr or less desirable model, but any 67-69 Camaro, 68-70 Charger/70-74 Cuda-Challenger, GTO or 60s fastback Mustang is going to be a rusted basketcase shell.

Can you buy a truck, 80 Malibu, or something similar reasonable? Sure, and they make great toys that many can afford. But the cars that appear in John Wick and F&F movies, what are immediately thought of as “musclecars”, are way beyond the average 50-60k/yr salaried hobbyist. That isn’t ignorant, that is reality.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
Sorry, To say most musclecars are 5k isn’t reality. My foxbody 5 litre mustangs I brought back from Vegas many times are well past 5k now.

Can you pick up an old car for cheap? Sure, especially if it is a 4 dr or less desirable model, but any 67-69 Camaro, 68-70 Charger/70-74 Cuda-Challenger, GTO or 60s fastback Mustang is going to be a rusted basketcase shell.

Can you buy a truck, 80 Malibu, or something similar reasonable? Sure, and they make great toys that many can afford. But the cars that appear in John Wick and F&F movies, what are immediately thought of as “musclecars”, are way beyond the average 50-60k/yr salaried hobbyist. That isn’t ignorant, that is reality.

Anything over 5k for a fox body mustang is a rip off anyways lol

I didn’t specify brand or model year, but thank you for clarifying my point. Cars can be had for 5k and require work, rebuilding the car is half the hobby to most.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:34 PM

I think collectors all over N. America will always have a few, even if they're "not popular".

Ask guys like Jay Leno.

JMO
Old 11-22-2019, 04:15 PM

When I drive my 68 Mercury Sports Coupe over the past 25 years it is not just the increased appraised value I enjoy it is the simplicity of the maintenance, it's the feel of the car as you have to actually drive it., the sound it makes when you step on it. My kids that are in their mid to late 20s do not want me to sell it. So I think there will always be an intrest in them even if the value goes up goes down or stays the same. Cars and trucks have always given us North Americans our freedom .
Old 11-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
When I drive my 68 Mercury Sports Coupe over the past 25 years it is not just the increased appraised value I enjoy it is the simplicity of the maintenance, it's the feel of the car as you have to actually drive it., the sound it makes when you step on it. My kids that are in their mid to late 20s do not want me to sell it. So I think there will always be an intrest in them even if the value goes up goes down or stays the same. Cars and trucks have always given us North Americans our freedom .
What color is your coupe? I saw a red one near Spruce Grove a few years back. My Cyclone is red, was the star of this film a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDx_5geB9y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Vcs_UjbEw&list=UL
Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 PM

Nice a fast back, mine is a 2 door coupe. These are some rare cars, you do not see too many. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lilmerc.jpg (42.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:54 PM

Good thread, been thinking about this for a while as well when I watch the auctions...Never owned (or will own) a muscle car but I certainly do appreciate them, especially the old MOPARS. Lot of emotions and memories tied up in them for some people. Yes, you can get into them cheep and fix them up yourself but you need time space, tools, knowledge, skills etc. etc. meanwhile your new vehicles sit outside the garage. Here, you can only really drive them a few months of the year, then there is insurance (no idea what that costs) proper secure storage, maintenance, list goes on. A lot of the higher-end cars are owned by people who have bucks and diversify their investments by choosing vehicles they think will hold their valve and/or appreciate. Think it was Leno that said “you don’t own these cars, you’re just saving them for someone else”.?? I believe part of the reason (besides the inter-webs hype) “barn finds” are such a big deal now is people are cashing in while the market is hot.

Think there will always be a place for those in original condition, and certain models will def hold their value. Doubt we’ll see the huge gains again tho.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Banned

Classic cars and restorations...Anything is possible and I mean anything...it just takes TIME and MONEY...eventually you run out of one or the other
Old 11-22-2019, 07:32 PM

Some do. It's a real commitment, the trick is to start with a good base. I bought mine with 42000 miles in the early 90's. Slowly upgraded it while driving it. Just changed out the original master cylinder. Junk they made, only had 50 years of service before needing repair. Lol Only took less than $100 to repair. I am rebuilding the original master cylinder now and will sell it with the car.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:43 AM

So starting with a stripped out, engineless, rusted pos isn’t the best idea? No wonder this is taking forever. You are right, if you can afford to start with something at least decent it will make the process much less painful
Old 11-23-2019, 06:04 AM

I would say slowly fading.

Probably mean the most to the guys that were young when they were popular.

Young people like to travel. Downsizing into condos and townhouses instead of detached houses.

Agree with more emphasis on experiences and memories and less on material items and money in the bank.