Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
And not legal!
Not legal for most of us. Legal for some
Old 06-29-2019, 02:46 PM

You don't need to go heavier, that's mostly a myth. What you do need is a bullet that will retain weight on a tough angle shot or through a shoulder. They're big animals. I'd recommend a Barnes TTSX or Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. If his rifle doesn't like those try Hornaday Interbond, Nosler Accubond, etc.

Grew up hunting elk and moose in Northern BC, seen lots of them hit the ground.

Last edited by Northwinds308; 06-29-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Editing because autocorrect likes to make me sound stupid
Old 06-29-2019, 09:50 PM

I’d be shooting the 150gr Partition.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’d be shooting the 150gr Partition.
This ^^^
Old 06-30-2019, 10:17 AM

150 partitions for sure. Not just for moose and elk.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Well I'm one in the heavier bullet camp. 150 grain Accubond, partition tsx all work. Your rifle will likely like one better than the other but only trial & error will tell.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Where's everyone buying their Accubonds? Having a tough time finding them in the Calgary area.
I've seen some at cabelas but I bought 165gr ballistic tip hunting bullets. You can try the canadian tire on mcleod or the one in shawnessy
Old 06-30-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds308 View Post
You don't need to go heavier, that's mostly a myth. .

Unless you prefer the better bc's afforded by using them in most cases.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Choice

I have put the test accubond Bullets on the scale and they are right at 70% weight retention 155.2 second 156.1 third is 155.4 hope this helps good luck with whatever you choose,I’m impressed with the result of this close up and high velocity impact test.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornuteo View Post
130g Ttsx
Hes going on a potential hunt of a lifetime, dont mess around load the best moose and elk bullet money can buy.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds308 View Post
You don't need to go heavier, that's mostly a myth. What you do need is a bullet that will retain weight on a tough angle shot or through a shoulder. They're big animals. I'd recommend a Barnes TTSX or Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. If his rifle doesn't like those try Hornaday Interbond, Nosler Accubond, etc.

Grew up hunting elk and moose in Northern BC, seen lots of them hit the ground.
This EXACTLY!
Yes,even a lowly .22LR will kill a moose,as will any centerfire with a well placed lung shot,the key is getting your bullet into the vitals from less then ideal angles,and in the real world where I live and play,moose don’t always pose broadside for a perfect double lung shot.
Again,I’ve seen light jacketed “deer bullets” that crush deer like the Hammer of Thor perform very poorly on moose on more then a couple of occasions.Hard angles and shoulder shots on moose with bullets that are designed for maximum shock and expansion on deer size game is a recipe for an unrecovered moose,whereas that same shot with the proper bullet designed for penetration and weight retention (either monos or a good partition design)is moose down.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:41 AM

West, even though I mentioned 22 will kill a moose I do agree with you moose or elk under real world conditions need a hard hitting, flat shooting bullet that retains its energy.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds 168 grain.

Fantastic ammo and knock down power.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post
Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds 168 grain.

Fantastic ammo and knock down power.

In a 270?
Old 07-06-2019, 11:51 AM

I would go Accubond over an SST anyday for anything bigger than a deer. But am a big fan of Partitions.

That being said, 2 seasons ago I hit a deer in the lungs with a 250gr accubond from my 338win mag.. and had alot of fragments in the meat. It did its job though. Years ago, i had a cow moose flip backwards on impact... with a 140gr accubond from a 270wsm.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:33 PM

I’ll never shoot another partition at an animal again. Shot a mule deer doe broadside at close range and it penetrated very poorly. .270 Win 130 grain partition at around 40 yards. The deer didn’t make it too far but I expected better performance. It seems odd due to the partition reputation but that’s what I experienced. This was last year and the only animal I’ve shot with a partition.

I’ve shot many deer at close range and it’s the worst performance I’ve seen. My velocity is unknown so that could be the reason. They were not anywhere near max loads.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I’ll never shoot another partition at an animal again. Shot a mule deer doe broadside at close range and it penetrated very poorly. .270 Win 130 grain partition at around 40 yards. The deer didn’t make it too far but I expected better performance. It seems odd due to the partition reputation but that’s what I experienced. This was last year and the only animal I’ve shot with a partition.

I’ve shot many deer at close range and it’s the worst performance I’ve seen. My velocity is unknown so that could be the reason. They were not anywhere near max loads.

Light animal. High velocity. It happens. If that doe had been at 150 - 200 yds you'd likely have seen much different results.

I don't know why more 270 shooters don't shoot 150's when using non mono bullets. Must be a need for speed thing but if velocity was all important the 6.5's wouldn't perform like they do. The criticisms of the 270 cartridge performing poorly on game with lighter bullets go back to early O'Connor times.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Light animal. High velocity. It happens. If that doe had been at 150 - 200 yds you'd likely have seen much different results.

I don't know why more 270 shooters don't shoot 150's when using non mono bullets. Must be a need for speed thing but if velocity was all important the 6.5's wouldn't perform like they do. The criticisms of the 270 cartridge performing poorly on game with lighter bullets go back to early O'Connor times.
I’ve seen very impressive penetration with cheap 150 grain pointed soft points so you’re likely right. Shot a buck at a similar distance in the throat patch and pulled the bullet out the rear hip.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisRD View Post
I second the Barnes TTSX 140gr. Have had great results with them.
I agree on TTSX or even TSX but in long range shooting it is better to stick to the accubonds. Barnes is the great bullet but asks for speed to function properly.
I prefer to have Barnes in my gun all the time but Accubond magazine in my pocket for long distances. For LR shooting in 95% of the times you will have enough time to set up throw a mag in and be able to get a good aim still...
However Barnes is the only bullet that if animal was properly hit, nothing ever made more than few steps and none in most cases.
Using 140gr TSX at all times and 140gr AB for long range. Tried berger but too long for Sako chambers
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 PM

As a hand loader I never particularly cared much for the .270 because the .280 leaves you with a lot more options in the same case. I have taken all my game. Moose and elk included. All things bing honest here. Elk can be a bullet sponges. They are tough. Big bullets do a nicer jobs on relaxing them. .338’s heavy 7mm bullets and 30 cal would be my preference over a 27 cal bullet. This will just boil down to an argument in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 AM

Guberwash, I quit using 300win mag on elk, I like to get close to them and found it would blow too big a hole. Prefer the 7mm now as covers whole range of game and very flat shooting if needed.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guberwash, I quit using 300win mag on elk, I like to get close to them and found it would blow too big a hole. Prefer the 7mm now as covers whole range of game and very flat shooting if needed.
I love blowing big holes in elk and moose and don’t concern myself in the least with losing a few extra ounces of bloodshot ribs or shoulder meat.Skin them promptly and remove damaged meat before it spreads,might lose a pound or two at most.......much better then entire 600 lbs of meat running away because ya shot it with a peashooter,lol
Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 AM

West when was a 7mm mag or 270 considered a pea shooter. Couple years back probably 80% of big game in Alberta was shot with a winchester tirty-tirty. Also most bears including grizzlies.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I love blowing big holes in elk and moose and don’t concern myself in the least with losing a few extra ounces of bloodshot ribs or shoulder meat.Skin them promptly and remove damaged meat before it spreads,might lose a pound or two at most.......much better then entire 600 lbs of meat running away because ya shot it with a peashooter,lol
X2
Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Between those 2, Accubond
Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
West when was a 7mm mag or 270 considered a pea shooter. Couple years back probably 80% of big game in Alberta was shot with a winchester tirty-tirty. Also most bears including grizzlies.
Not sayn those are peashooters...jest sayn......300WinMag is hardly what I’d call overkill for moose and elk and a few lost pounds of bloodshot meat doesn’t concern me in the least.I’d rather have a cartridge/bullet combo that I have confidence will get the job done on heavy boned game from less then ideal angles if that’s the shot I’m presented with.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburwash View Post
As a hand loader I never particularly cared much for the .270 because the .280 leaves you with a lot more options in the same case. I have taken all my game. Moose and elk included. All things bing honest here. Elk can be a bullet sponges. They are tough. Big bullets do a nicer jobs on relaxing them. .338’s heavy 7mm bullets and 30 cal would be my preference over a 27 cal bullet. This will just boil down to an argument in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot 2 of those you mention. 7/100's, 50 fps, and 10 grains is a big step up? Beats me why if someone wanted a 284 they wouldn't shoot a 7. 270 to 280 = shrug. 270 to 7 = head nod. Never saw the need for a 280 over a 270 outside of collecting multiples of similarly capable. Not that there's a damn thing wrong with that.

Agree on the 30 cal points you mention but if .308 bullets relax elk why not move up? Why not shoot the parent case for the 300 or 338?

We all have our faves.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:45 AM

I have hunted with both. Loved my 280s. For rifle loonies it is maybe the perfect balance of power, recoil and BC.

But let's be honest here. The only real world difference is the price of ammo if you don't reload, and the availability of brass if you do reload.

Sure ain't gonna be any animals telling each other the difference between the two rounds.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:05 AM
Banned

I know it’s not same caliber but anyone ever use a168 Berger vld out of 300 wsm on a elk or moose?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
I know it’s not same caliber but anyone ever use a168 Berger vld out of 300 wsm on a elk or moose?
Elk and I watched a buddy blast a moose in the ass with one last year (and other places). I will let Elk describe