Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 01:31 PM
Banned

Anything that prevents the rifle from free recoiling will have an impact on where your poi is. It all boils down to what you think is acceptable. If close enough is good enough. Perfect. If your shooting to 200 yards. It will be good enough.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Anything that prevents the rifle from free recoiling will have an impact on where your poi is. It all boils down to what you think is acceptable. If close enough is good enough. Perfect. If your shooting to 200 yards. It will be good enough.

200 yds will cover the vast percentage of shots taken during an Alberta hunting season MM. If I can put 3 into a 4" circle at 200 yards consistently I'm more than content.

I'm just a hunter. Could give a rat's patoot about bench shooting or shots beyond 300 yards. Haven't had any problems filling tags that I can recall. Not planning a goat/sheep hunt anytime soon or investing in a 5-25 cds scope.

The real proof doesn't happen shooting at paper or gongs unless ones in a range competition anyways.

I wonder if bow hunters practise hitting a 3" bullseye at 150 yards? Amazingly a lot of them fill their tags too.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
200 yds will cover the vast percentage of shots taken during an Alberta hunting season MM. If I can put 3 into a 4" circle at 200 yards consistently I'm more than content.

I'm just a hunter. Could give a rat's patoot about bench shooting or shots beyond 300 yards. Haven't had any problems filling tags that I can recall. Not planning a goat/sheep hunt anytime soon or investing in a 5-25 cds scope.

The real proof doesn't happen shooting at paper or gongs unless ones in a range competition anyways.

I wonder if bow hunters practise hitting a 3" bullseye at 150 yards? Amazingly a lot of them fill their tags too.
Im just a hunter too
Repeatability is huge to me
You just dont get that using a lead sled to zero then shooting off of bags in real situations
I think ringing those little gongs at the end of the range is awesome
That way if that animal of a lifetime is 400 yards away
I know without a shadow of a doubt
That its when that trigger brakes
Its going straight down
Old 07-20-2019, 03:19 PM

I'm no expert but I'd say if I could hit a pie plate from the knee consistently at 200 plus yards I'd be happy with that for hunting.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
I'm no expert but I'd say if I could hit a pie plate from the knee consistently at 200 plus yards I'd be happy with that for hunting.

Absolutely. I don't take many shots from that position but we all have our comfort zones. Lots of differences between prairie and bush hunting too. Usually a lot less time to get positioned right in the bush.

Belly crawling to within shooting range of a muley or antelope then shooting over a backpack from the prone position would be lovely. Can't say I get a chance to do that much in the bush.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:56 PM

Its great that we prepare to lay prone and lay low any trophy that dare show his face inside 500 yds. But what about the buck that jumps up at your feet? Unfortunately many of today's hunting rifles tend to be heavy, wear long braked barrels (ear plugs are now needing to be stuffed in your ears), have scopes with pie plate objective lenses that require high mounting, and carry turrets and focus knobs protruding everywhere. These types of rifles tend to handle like overweight vaulting poles, point like a bag of bricks, and are as lively in the hands as a VW beetles right rear tire. Great. Many are not only over gunned, they are over rifled.

Sight in your rifle how you will hunt and then use it that way in practice.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-20-2019, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Its great that we prepare to lay prone and lay low any trophy that dare show his face inside 500 yds. But what about the buck that jumps up at your feet? Unfortunately many of today's hunting rifles tend to be heavy, wear long braked barrels (ear plugs are now needing to be stuffed in your ears), have scopes with pie plate objective lenses that require high mounting, and carry turrets and focus knobs protruding everywhere. These types of rifles tend to handle like overweight vaulting poles, point like a bag of bricks, and are as lively in the hands as a VW beetles right rear tire. Great. Many are not only over gunned, they are over rifled.

Well ya shoot em lol duhhhh
Oh chuck
Let me guess, your 1 rifle is perfect for every situation

I agree hunting the bush is a different scenario
How fast you can get your rifle on that animal is probably the most critical thing
Old 07-20-2019, 06:39 PM

No rifle is perfect for every situation, but some are better suited for more situations than others.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Agreed. My 7 has a 26" barrel but it's a light gun. All my other rifles are 22". No scopes above max 9 power and my favorite would be the VX-3i. Compact and light with decent glass.

Haven't taken a shot at any big game animal from other than a standing position in probably 25 years. If I'm thinking the sling comes into play.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Some have called BS when I state this but it’s true I have seen huge deer when hunting with irons that I have let go - one was the largest mule deer I have ever seen.
If the distance is too great either because of my equipment or my skill limits I have to problem letting an animal go.
Big antlers don’t faze me at all .
Cat
Old 07-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
No rifle is perfect for every situation, but some are better suited for more situations than others.
My idea of perfect is a rifle that weighs 8 lbs with sling, scope and full magazine. 22 inch barrel. Scope with 40-44mm objective 3X9 or even fixed 4X would do. Cartridge with sufficient energy to take animals out to 500 yards (and there are many). I could hunt the world with a rifle like that.
That's just me.