Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Default Amazon.com Currency Exchange?

When did Amazon.com start doing currency exchange? Just made an order and they are billing in the currency of your billing address. So I made a USD order and then they switch to CAD and bill your credit card. But they are taking 4point do it and the credit card company is only 2 points but it is unavoidable now it seems. What a rip off.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Your order will probably be cancelled once they figure out you're Canadian...
Old 02-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Banned

Been dealing with Amazon.com and .ca since 2008. The US sight has always converted to CDN dollars.
Back then when the money was nearly on par it pretty much came out to the same...but they've always done the conversion when I've dealt with them.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM

Amazon.ca is already in CAD. No need to order from .com. No idea about the credit card pts.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Been dealing with Amazon.com and .ca since 2008. The US sight has always converted to CDN dollars.
Back then when the money was nearly on par it pretty much came out to the same...but they've always done the conversion when I've dealt with them.
Have you recently/ever had products delivered to Canada from the .com website ?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post

A couple books that aren't available at .ca were delivered in January.
Got this two weeks ago https://www.amazon.com/Lycian-Shore-...gateway&sr=8-7
Old 02-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I have. Ordered some t-shirts that weren't available on the .ca site. Everything worked fine although shipping was slower than the .ca side which I expected. What impressed me the most though was about a month after the shipment arrived Amazon sent me a refund. They apologized that the product was overpriced due to the .ca site not offering it and then refunded something like 10% of the order total. That's good service!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:14 AM

I often order from the .com side. If it's prime, they calculate and pay duty for you. Some products are far cheaper on the US side than the canukistan side. An RV maceration pump I bought was way cheaper, like 30% or so, even with duty and exchange.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM

I also order from the .com site, as some items are stupidly expensive on the .ca site, even with exchange and shipping figured in. Sometimes I just have it shipped to my daughter in Minnesota if there is no hurry on it, as shipping is free (prime), and then she just re-addresses it and ships to me. Or brings it at Christmas or whenever she is coming. Some items are half the price or less this way. It annoys the crap out of me too.

I actually had to order and download a book from .com site to my kindle, as the Canadian site wouldn't offer the exact same book (Not currently available?). Too subversive or politically incorrect for Canada....?? Such stupidity. How does Amazon get off censoring what books are available in what country? Downloaded no problems to my Kindle. Strange.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I also order from the .com site, as some items are stupidly expensive on the .ca site, even with exchange and shipping figured in. Sometimes I just have it shipped to my daughter in Minnesota if there is no hurry on it, as shipping is free (prime), and then she just re-addresses it and ships to me. Or brings it at Christmas or whenever she is coming. Some items are half the price or less this way. It annoys the crap out of me too.

I actually had to order and download a book from .com site to my kindle, as the Canadian site wouldn't offer the exact same book (Not currently available?). Too subversive or politically incorrect for Canada....?? Such stupidity. How does Amazon get off censoring what books are available in what country? Downloaded no problems to my Kindle. Strange.....
Amazon.ca definitely needs some further work. Recently I ordered a book from them Pen & Sword (the publisher). According to Amazon.ca it was being released in July 2019. Went on the publishers website and they said it was released last year and in stock...had it in my hand 10 days later.
I let Amazon know...it still says release date of July 2019.
But on the whole they are great.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:

^^^^^^^This

Dodger
Old 02-11-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:

No I don't have it delivered to Canada, I have it sent to a shipping outlet at the border (had enough bad experiences with UPS brokerage fees and duties that I avoid it) and when there is enough stuff there, I drive down and pick it all up.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
When did Amazon.com start doing currency exchange? Just made an order and they are billing in the currency of your billing address. So I made a USD order and then they switch to CAD and bill your credit card. But they are taking 4point do it and the credit card company is only 2 points but it is unavoidable now it seems. What a rip off.
Use a US currency credit card. Link to your bank account and transfer to pay with no bank fees.

Means you have to have US dollars or convert at the bank. Need to compare rates.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

You are really hitting the paranoia juice too hard my friend, there’s a ton of reasonable explanations for that kind of thing. The publisher probably has a deal with another retailer or something.

They aren’t out to get you. You ain’t that interesting.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
You are really hitting the paranoia juice too hard my friend, there’s a ton of reasonable explanations for that kind of thing. The publisher probably has a deal with another retailer or something.

They aren’t out to get you. You ain’t that interesting.

I think you read way more into that than I put into it. The fact was, the book and kindle download was not available in Canada, but no problem getting it from the US site. I'm not sure what paranoia juice tastes like, but that was the situation. I understand if the physical hard copy isn't available for some reason, but the download?

I'm don't know where you got the idea that I thought they were out to get me personally, but I agree, I'm just like you...not that interesting.

For the record, the book in question is 'Black Lies Matter'...try and find it on ca, and then com. It is an excellent read.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-11-2019 at 06:45 PM.