Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Default Doorbell camera

I would like to install a doorbell camera i found the wiring in the wall by the door jam i have power there but i have no idea of where the wiring is in the house.
Can anyone tell me if it will still work even though i have no chimes.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:22 PM

If its tied to your doorbell you can access the wiring at your current doorbell chime and measure if it has 24V power present there. In newer homes the 24V transformer that serves the doorbell is located next to the electrical panel, in older homes the 24V transformer is often located on a junction box/ light bulb base in the basement ceiling near the furnace.

If you currently have no chimes it could be due to a bad chime, broken doorbell buttons or a 24V transformer that is either kaput or has been disconnected.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Banned

Check out Ring doorbells.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:18 AM

I have no chimes at all it was removed and wires covered up before I purchased the house.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:11 AM

We have a Ring 2 that we got off of air-miles. Battery operated and the battery lasts for weeks. Love it. I was really surprised how many folks come to our door that we had no idea about previously.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If its tied to your doorbell you can access the wiring at your current doorbell chime and measure if it has 24V power present there. In newer homes the 24V transformer that serves the doorbell is located next to the electrical panel, in older homes the 24V transformer is often located on a junction box/ light bulb base in the basement ceiling near the furnace.

If you currently have no chimes it could be due to a bad chime, broken doorbell buttons or a 24V transformer that is either kaput or has been disconnected.
The transformer for my doorbell is in the ceiling above the main hall of my house (just above where the actual doorbell is) My house is a manufactured home that was delivered in two pieces....I suspect that's why mine was in the ceiling where they joined all the wiring for the two sides.

So if you can't find it where Caber said to look, check there.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 12-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Get Telus to install a security system, $25/month, no install fee, you get door bell camera (they will figure out the wiring), 3 door sensors (front, back & garage), 2 interior motion sensors, smoke/carbon monoxide alarm sensor and sump pump water sensor.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Get Telus to install a security system, $25/month, no install fee, you get door bell camera (they will figure out the wiring), 3 door sensors (front, back & garage), 2 interior motion sensors, smoke/carbon monoxide alarm sensor and sump pump water sensor.
The sump pump water sensor does simply alarm at the presents of water or if the sump is in a high level condition. My sump seems to run all summer and I’m the winter when things thaw out. It would be nice to set up just the alarm to generate off a wifi connection if the pump fails.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
The sump pump water sensor does simply alarm at the presents of water or if the sump is in a high level condition. My sump seems to run all summer and I’m the winter when things thaw out. It would be nice to set up just the alarm to generate off a wifi connection if the pump fails.
Here's one. Although I would look for one that notifies you on power failure as well, as no power = no pump.

https://www.staples.ca/products/2926...RoCIPAQAvD_BwE
Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Some lady in the US had the Ring camera she installed in her house hacked and the hacker started talking to her kids through it...

LC
Old 12-13-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Some lady in the US had the Ring camera she installed in her house hacked and the hacker started talking to her kids through it...

LC
Yeah, chances of that happening are alot less than someone hacking into your wifi. While it's a valid concern.. meh.

FTR.. I would never put cameras "in" my house, but the outside is well covered.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
and to prevent that, all this poor victim would have had to do is follow the instructions and re-set the default password and codes that come with the system.

Read Instructions = reduce your chances of being a victim.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
If the pump fails and the water reaches a certain level, about 2/3 full I should get an notification. I should do another test its been awhile.