Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 07:29 PM

Default Skidoo clutch noise

I have a 2018 Summit SP 600 Etech 154” track. Lately I have noticed a noise coming from the clutch. It sounds kind of like scratchers on bare pavement. However it only is present between 5800-6000 rpm. Once above or below that rpm window the noise is gone. Any ideas what it may be and if I should worry a lot about it? There’s a lot of snowmobiling yet this winter and I don’t want it to dynamite on me or be sitting all winter unable to use. I can ride em, just dumb as a rock when it comes to try and fix em...
Old 12-10-2019, 07:49 PM

Could you take the Skidoo clutch tool and screw it in to separate the driven clutch, and see if the nylon glides are in fact intact? At a certain point, the driven clutch actually spreads apart while the drive clutch will tighten up.

As the noise is at a certain rpm range, I am wondering if it is the glides or "ramps" on the driven clutch that have a wear point, which could be because the nylon pieces are cracked, missing, or worn.

once apart, try wiggling the plates side to side. It could also be the bushing is broken or worn, which would be the wiggle in the inner and outer plates.

Drewski
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Could you take the Skidoo clutch tool and screw it in to separate the driven clutch, and see if the nylon glides are in fact intact? At a certain point, the driven clutch actually spreads apart while the drive clutch will tighten up.

As the noise is at a certain rpm range, I am wondering if it is the glides or "ramps" on the driven clutch that have a wear point, which could be because the nylon pieces are cracked, missing, or worn.

once apart, try wiggling the plates side to side. It could also be the bushing is broken or worn, which would be the wiggle in the inner and outer plates.

Drewski
I’ll check that. I was going to pull the belt off and see if it still makes the nose to determine if it’s primary secondary or even the belt. Sled has 1500 miles on it.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:41 PM

Belt guard rattling, or something down that line. Kms too low for clutches to have any wear, only happens closer to 5000kms.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:28 PM
Banned

Check your crank case oil for metal filing, my Polaris triple made that sound and shredded the gear. Think a bearing went