Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM

Default Meth lab busted by stettler.

Well this is great news. Love hearing this stuff.......

How ever. They were in possession of a big scary SKS "assault rifle". Article does say they had a 30 round mag. I just wonder if it was pinned to 5. Lol.

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/20...t-of-stettler/

I'm really curious about the details of the fire arms.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM

Good news for sure. Love hearing this kind of news.

BW
Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 PM

Oh great...we're am I gonna get my stuff now?!?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-22-2016, 07:57 PM

^ ikr me too

my life is so affected by this ...

a few drugs here and there ...so what ....? how come we dont FuC up the criminals in ottawa or on the world stage in washington and brussels ...and money people who controls our lives
Old 02-22-2016, 08:04 PM

Yep I had a good laugh at the sks assault rifle part.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:46 PM

Arrested were the following:

• A 30yr old male of Big Valley
• A 37yr old male of Stettler
• A 64yr old male of Stettler
• A 26yr old male of Drumheller

Imagine that - 64 years old and cooking meth.
I'll bet these is some prize pigs bubba.
To bad they don't publish their mugshots for all too see what low life energy sucking goofs look like.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Banned

Meth Lab busted by Setter. would have been a much better story.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:01 PM

Stettler, AB: On Saturday, February 21st, 2016, members from Stettler RCMP, Bashaw RCMP, Killam RCMP, RCMP emergency response team’s from Edmonton and Calgary, RCMP CLEAR team, RCMP Air services, RCMP special tactical operations team, Stettler regional fire department and Stettler EMS attended and executed a search warrant on a rural property North and East of Stettler.

That must have cost at least a quarter million. They didn't get any meth, no mention of money, just a lab and an SKS which I imagine somebody there has a PAL.
3/4 of that will be thrown out in court, half of them will probably walk and nobody will get more than a year.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:04 PM

They misspelled rifle.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Banned

My favourite quote of the article (and every single crime article for that matter) is always: "Suspects were well known to police."

Probably at least a quarter million spent catching them and probably another quarter million will be spent setting them free.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 PM
Banned

It's good to hear they nailed another crack lab but, I hate the fact that these cases are always made out to sound like the lab was fortified with armoured drug dealing guards surrounding the perimeter with high caliber assault rifles. Let's just review how it would sound to me unless I actually seen it, shall we.

The RCMP raided a home where a meth lab was found in the barn, when the police arrived they found a several people sleeping in the house and upon further inspection the owner of the land had a gun safe in the house with firearms locked in it. The police also found a 30 round magazine that was pinned to 5 rounds and in proper storage along with the rest of his firearms. I bet 95% of the cases they deal with are just as I wrote. Unless it's proved upon that firearms were in use for there drug lab and gun laws were broken I don't think any firearms should be published at all when they report these incidents.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 PM

Is meth like/better then coffee in the mornings?
Old 02-22-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Stettler, AB: On Saturday, February 21st, 2016, members from Stettler RCMP, Bashaw RCMP, Killam RCMP, RCMP emergency response team’s from Edmonton and Calgary, RCMP CLEAR team, RCMP Air services, RCMP special tactical operations team, Stettler regional fire department and Stettler EMS attended and executed a search warrant on a rural property North and East of Stettler.

That must have cost at least a quarter million. They didn't get any meth, no mention of money, just a lab and an SKS which I imagine somebody there has a PAL.
3/4 of that will be thrown out in court, half of them will probably walk and nobody will get more than a year.
Holy Cow! All the same agency but from so many different detachments seems a bit excessive. A couple of my coworkers busted a Meth lab and it was just 2 of them. Called in a detective and some hazmat guys after the fact.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Banned

I'm surprised that some on here joke about meth, one of the most addictive and destructive drugs out there.

Guess it depends who you hang around with.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I'm surprised that some on here joke about meth, one of the most addictive and destructive drugs out there.

Its chlorine for the gene pool.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:

It is probably because we watched A and E documentaries 15+ years ago as well have seen the effects first hand on others.

Still can't figure out what would compel anyone to even try something like that.

Lighten up a bit........
Old 02-22-2016, 11:13 PM
Banned

More details in the Red Deer Advocate.

Holy schiesse. TWO armored vehicles? Talk about overwhelming force.

Quote:
About 60 RCMP officers — including four specially trained teams — took down a crystal methamphetamine lab and arrested four men near Stettler on Saturday.

RCMP Stettler detachment officers Sgt. Phil Penny and Cpl. Ryan Koehli said Monday that the serious dynamics of the situation required the major response. Crystal meth labs can be dangerous because of the chemicals involved and possibility of explosion, and the suspects had firearms.

RCMP members from Stettler, Bashaw and Killam detachments were involved, but also two Emergency Response Teams (ERT) — one each from Edmonton and Calgary, the RCMP Clandestine Laboratory Enforcement and Response (CLEAR) team, RCMP Special Tactical Operations team, RCMP Air Services, the Stettler Regional Fire Department and Stettler EMS.

A search warrant was executed at about 11:30 a.m. on a rural property about 15 kms northeast of Stettler.

Once RCMP were on the rural property, investigators located, dismantled and seized equipment and other products used to create crystal meth. Several firearms were located and seized, one being a Russian-made SKS assault rifle that was loaded with a 30-round magazine.

According to Health Canada, crystal meth is an illegal, addictive synthetic stimulant, known to have dangerous and unpredictable short-term physical and mental effects.

It was “absolutely” a big operation, Sgt. Penny said.

“We have to concern ourselves with the chemicals, the volatility. Meth labs are highly explosive, and when we’re dealing with anyone in the drug trade in executing a search warrant, our concern is weapons, firearms obviously. Whenever we have information that would suggest there’s firearms involved, we’re going to be pulling in our ERT teams as well.”

“I think a lot of times when you say meth lab, people want to go a Breaking Bad scenario where you have this big warehouse scenario. … That’s not the case. I would suggest that this was a medium-sized operation,” Penny said.

Breaking Bad refers to a well-known American television series crime drama about the making and selling of crystal meth.

Penny could not recall any other instances of a crystal meth lab being dismantled in the Stettler area.

“One of the challenges with meth labs is their portability. Marijuana grow ops you require space, you require energy, you have to deal with neighbours and smell and condensation, whereas the meth lab you can do it in a very contained area, and you can have turnover that’s quite quick.

“There’s meth labs you could fit in a large cooler. That would be a smaller one. It kind of gives you an idea of how challenging these things are,” Penny said.

“Whenever you have these labs … these things can attract their clientele. And … when the addict wants the product and they can’t afford it, that can turn into property crime in our area, break and enters, thefts, all sorts of different things.

“Obviously our goal is to eliminate basically the reason for a lot of these people to be committing these crimes,” he said.

Crystal meth is present in Stettler as it is almost everywhere. It’s not a larger problem than anywhere else, he said.

RCMP used two armoured vehicles in the operation, said Penny.

“There’s two of these showing up on your doorstep. They (suspects) were quite surprised.” The four suspects were taken into custody without incident.

The names of those charged had not been released by press time. Three of them appeared in court on Monday for bail hearings.

They are all known to police and include a 37-year-old and 67-year-old from Stettler, 30-year-old from Big Valley, and a 26-year-old from Drumheller.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:29 AM

Default I'm fine with this!

If overwhelming force prevented a shoot out, that is the whole idea. These guys are very well know to police for theft and violent crime.

I know who they are, two were denied bail, but if some one here knows the exact location please shoot me a PM, I'll tell the neighbours. We need to stick together about this sort of thing and the comment that it attracts more criminals is right on.

Thanks for the post, I'm starting to get most of my news here.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:

You must not have seen Breaking Bad.

Grizz
Old 02-23-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:

How do you spell HUMOR in your world?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
How do you spell HUMOR in your world?
With a U!!!!
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:12 PM

So they found an SKS "assault" rifle? I wonder if they found any "assault" baseball bats, "assault" claw hammers , or "assault" kitchen knives?
Old 02-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
Well this is great news. Love hearing this stuff.......

How ever. They were in possession of a big scary SKS "assault rifle". Article does say they had a 30 round mag. I just wonder if it was pinned to 5. Lol.

http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/20...t-of-stettler/

I'm really curious about the details of the fire arms.
Appreciating that many of you have intimate knowledge of what-are-what in the gun world, most of us do not. So to explain to you all what someone who is ignorant of such knowledge like myself gleans from this article:

Meth Lab busted. Guns removed from bad people.

We don't care if it was an assault rifle, a machine gun, or a pellet gun. The fact is, these are the types of people who likely have no good intentions behind it.

Good for the cops. Busted up a horrible drug lab, and took some more guns away from bad people.

Correctly identifying the gun will have 0 impact on the large majority of folks who are actually reading the article based on a drug lab being broken, not the kind of gun that was taken during that.

Carry on fellas.

Cheers
Old 02-23-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Appreciating that many of you have intimate knowledge of what-are-what in the gun world, most of us do not. So to explain to you all what someone who is ignorant of such knowledge like myself gleans from this article:

Meth Lab busted. Guns removed from bad people.

We don't care if it was an assault rifle, a machine gun, or a pellet gun. The fact is, these are the types of people who likely have no good intentions behind it.

Good for the cops. Busted up a horrible drug lab, and took some more guns away from bad people.

Correctly identifying the gun will have 0 impact on the large majority of folks who are actually reading the article based on a drug lab being broken, not the kind of gun that was taken during that.

Carry on fellas.

Cheers
The simple fact is, the media intentionally refers to firearms as "assault" rifles in an attempt to sensationalize the event. If they reported that a pellet rifle was seized , it wouldn'd gather as much attention as reportinng that an "assault rifle" was seized. The media counts on the ignorance of people like yourself when they misrepresent the facts as they did in this report, because they are counting on you believing what is being reported without knowing any different. If they had found an old Cessna on the property that had been used to transport the drugs, they may have used the term "military" aircraft hoping that some clueless fools might belive that it was a jet fighter.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The simple fact is, the media intentionally refers to firearms as "assault" rifles in an attempt to sensationalize the event. If they reported that a pellet rifle was seized , it wouldn'd gather as much attention as reportinng that an "assault rifle" was seized. The media counts on the ignorance of people like yourself when they misrepresent the facts as they did in this report, because they are counting on you believing what is being reported without knowing any different. If they had found an old Cessna on the property that had been used to transport the drugs, they may have used the term "military" aircraft hoping that some clueless fools might belive that it was a jet fighter.
I fully understand what you're saying. I think that would have bearing in a situation where they raided the farm to seize guns. In this case, as I mentioned, all I see is guns taken from bad guys busting a meth lab.

So to your point, their attempts at 'sensationalizing' the event failed. I would never have given the gun a second thought if not for this particular thread that pointed out the guns in the story of the meth lab being busted up.

That could be just me too, though.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
If overwhelming force prevented a shoot out, that is the whole idea. These guys are very well know to police for theft and violent crime.

I know who they are, two were denied bail, but if some one here knows the exact location please shoot me a PM, I'll tell the neighbours. We need to stick together about this sort of thing and the comment that it attracts more criminals is right on.

Thanks for the post, I'm starting to get most of my news here.

It was at a well known drug house... About a mile and a half east of 56 on 601. Just west of Judge MacNaughtons old place.