Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Default quad size?

Hey folks, just wondering what you think is too small a quad and why? I'm not really in the market at this very moment, but I am keeping my eyes open just in case i see a really good deal.
i saw a 450 haul a young bull moose out of the bush last year, mind you it was petal to the metal, but they still got it out through some pretty thick brush.
do you guys think a 450 is too small for hunting and stuff?
thanks a lot.
Schian
Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 PM

Default Quad size

I had a Vinson 500 for years and I was very pleased with it even when all my buds drove big bores. The 450 /500 are light and versatile yet still posses low torque power Yet do not have the power to dig themselves into big holes. I think it's more about riding ability then how big a motor Food for thought
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM

I have a King Quad 500cc and it's areally good size for riding in the bush, hills and hunting even for 2 peoples on it. Lots of power and you don't want to race with your quad anyway. A 700cc is heavier and take more gas so shorter ride or day on the same tank.
Yamaha and Suzuki are good buy for the money but the used ones are not cheap. Check the new ones.
Eric.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM

I have a 2000 Honda TRX 350. Bulletproof, great on fuel and very light for crossing soft spots. It'll spin down to the diffs before it ever powers out as well.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Default Quads

X 2 on a honda 350,cant beat em for reliability,
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM

2002 Honda TRX 350 and had no troubles with it last season. Get what you can afford and in 4x4
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM

450 to small? naaw. we used to use the honda 2oo and 250's to haul out moose ( 1 moose per trike) in swamp. i got a 400 quad now, seems to do the job.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 PM

I have a Honda 420 rancher

I can man-handle it if I need to

I cant man-handle a 500.

My 420 can skid out a moose and carry me and my son too, with a bit of gear.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I have a Honda 420 rancher

I can man-handle it if I need to

I cant man-handle a 500.

My 420 can skid out a moose and carry me and my son too, with a bit of gear.
x2,Icurrently have the 450,My last one was the 400 and I liked that one better than the 450.Both have more than enough power.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 PM

No substitute for power, I had the Honda 420 the polaris 400, they are ok but there is no substitute for big bore power, I now have an AC 1000 v twin.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM

X1000000 for the Honda 350 or 450. We've been using them for years to haul animals out of the bush. Absolute bullet proof machines. We've just recently picked up a Yamaha rhino so we will see how that performs this hunting season. Good luck with finding the right machine.

Renagade
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM

I have a trx420 honda and it's more then enough. I tow a large tub trailer into camp. Can haul two adults and the tub with out a prob. And like huntinstuff said they are super easy to man handle. I've watched a couple buddies spend more time winching their 550's then ride while mudding one spring. I could just get off and push with some throttle and pop it right out of the mud.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:20 PM

Far from too small.

Put good tires on a mid size machine and it is the bomb. If you get a big bore stuck, it can big a bigger deal to get them out.

Last thing you want to be doing when you are hunting.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM

Can am 800 is the best bike going. Power to spare.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM

I have an old yami big bear 350 hauled a young bull moose up a tight cutline without the 4x4 working at the time ..took a bit of a struggle but we made her up
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Far from too small.

Put good tires on a mid size machine and it is the bomb. If you get a big bore stuck, it can big a bigger deal to get them out.

Last thing you want to be doing when you are hunting.
The Honda Rincon would be a awesome bike if they had a 5 speed tranny with high low range......
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
No substitute for power, I had the Honda 420 the polaris 400, they are ok but there is no substitute for big bore power, I now have an AC 1000 v twin.
There is no replacement for displacement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

still got my grizzly 660. ive never had to wish for more power. my buddy on his 400 kawasaki has. im not sure there is such thing as too much power, but there sure is such thing as not enough. if you arent that big of a guy, a mid size 400-500 engine is likely enough for most situations, but im sticking to bigger machines.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpm5 View Post
X2

Kawi 750's have been my choice machines for years. I will find some photos of moose being pulled through some rather tough areas/ Rivers.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I dont believe this for a minute.I know lots of guys figure bigger is better no matter what they buy.When trikes first showed up back in the early 80"s,I hauled out several moose and elk miles out of the bush,and it was only a 200.A 400- 450 is plenty of power for hunting applications.Now if you just like tearing around at high speed down cutlines and old roads,Then you might want more ponies.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 AM

Don't get caught in to the power debate! Mid size quads don't get stuck as easy and are easier to get out when you are stuck. As long as you have 2 power ranges (lo/hi) you can move any game out of the bush, you just might need a little more time. I have a 550 Grizzly and it is great, but on the top end of power and weight IMHO.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Shooter View Post
Don't get caught in to the power debate! Mid size quads don't get stuck as easy and are easier to get out when you are stuck. As long as you have 2 power ranges (lo/hi) you can move any game out of the bush, you just might need a little more time. I have a 550 Grizzly and it is great, but on the top end of power and weight IMHO.
Mid size bikes are fine but i have had my 800 in some bad places and when the honda 450s got stuck i had the power to get through the hole and pull them through. In deeper snow the smaller bike just cant get around unless they are in my tracks that i made. Most people that say the smaller bikes are better have never owned a big bore bike.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Mid size bikes are fine but i have had my 800 in some bad places and when the honda 450s got stuck i had the power to get through the hole and pull them through. In deeper snow the smaller bike just cant get around unless they are in my tracks that i made. Most people that say the smaller bikes are better have never owned a big bore bike.
Does power get you through a hole? I have a 660, and I am not tapping into my power band at all in a hole. Last thing I want is a spinning tire.

I think the Honda 450 sucks in mud, I think it is more likely the bad clearence.

I think the only thing the big bore gives you is the ability to run bigger tires.

Ideally, my next machine will be a 500-550.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think the Honda 450 sucks in mud, I think it is more likely the bad clearence.

I think the only thing the big bore gives you is the ability to run bigger tires.

bigger machines generally have more clearance. more clearance is good, and bigger skins means more yet. the power to drive them is the nasty stuff sure does matter. as i said earlier, my buddy has a kawi 400. he has 26 inch mudlites and when he is in the slop, it doesnt have the power to drive them.

that said, with a 2500 lb winch, ive never been stuck with anything that i couldnt get myself out of.

the advantage to smaller machines is maneuverability. if you are in tight trails where the sticks are right close, a smaller machine turns tighter, and on sidehills is more agile and the lighter weight is easier to maintain control.

fact of the matter is, preference is personal for each rider. for most people, price factors into that preference, making smaller machines more attractive. truth is, near enough any quad will do for 99% of what hunters want a quad to do. the op said "hunting and stuff". for "hunting", the choices are endless, but the "and stuff" may make one choice much better than another depending what exactly that "stuff" is.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
bigger machines generally have more clearance. more clearance is good, and bigger skins means more yet. the power to drive them is the nasty stuff sure does matter. as i said earlier, my buddy has a kawi 400. he has 26 inch mudlites and when he is in the slop, it doesnt have the power to drive them.

that said, with a 2500 lb winch, ive never been stuck with anything that i couldnt get myself out of.

the advantage to smaller machines is maneuverability. if you are in tight trails where the sticks are right close, a smaller machine turns tighter, and on sidehills is more agile and the lighter weight is easier to maintain control.

fact of the matter is, preference is personal for each rider. for most people, price factors into that preference, making smaller machines more attractive. truth is, near enough any quad will do for 99% of what hunters want a quad to do. the op said "hunting and stuff". for "hunting", the choices are endless, but the "and stuff" may make one choice much better than another depending what exactly that "stuff" is.
I drive a Grizz 660 (hopefully for the last year). It broke down once and I took my buddy's Kodiak 450 and put my 26 inch MudBugs on it. In rotten holes, in low gear I hauled azz in that quad. I was really impressed and it was my first time driving it.

I lost clearance, but because the machine was so light i just breezed through holes. I think that machine is superior to my Grizz in mud.

But it is also too small, I don't find it that comfortable.

But, we drive quad to moose camp and stay there. He hauls less gas than us, that is a real factor in our camp. Guys in teh big bores in my camp, have had to make choices on where to hunt based on how much gas we have, not where we want to hunt. The 450 driver, doesn't even think about it.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Does power get you through a hole? I have a 660, and I am not tapping into my power band at all in a hole. Last thing I want is a spinning tire.

Ideally, my next machine will be a 500-550.
There is times when power does get you through a hole because you can spin your tires alot quicker than the smaller bikes. I have also seen it when you pull onto a muddy lease road and the smaller bike barely have the power to clean there tires.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Pound for pound the Honda 350 is the best quad ever made. Air/oil cooled is nice as well.

Jmo
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ques View Post
Pound for pound the Honda 350 is the best quad ever made. Air/oil cooled is nice as well.

Jmo
They were a great bike,they were rough as heck to ride but you just couldnt kill em.This was my first quad after the trikes.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM

I got a Suzuki king quad 700 and it's just amazing
Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
There is times when power does get you through a hole because you can spin your tires alot quicker than the smaller bikes. I have also seen it when you pull onto a muddy lease road and the smaller bike barely have the power to clean there tires.
Maybe we ride in different conditions. I admit, I have never rode a lease road.

But when I am in a hole, I don't want my tires to spin. Once they start spinning you are in trouble because it slicks a smooth rut that you can't get traction on. So I drive slower and keep my MudBugs digging in.

Because of that, I really don't use my quads power

Last edited by riden; 06-20-2012 at 03:14 PM.