Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 AM

Default Archery Elk in the 400s

Looking for a few general thoughts reference archery elk hunting in the mountain WMUs.

Bottom line, I'm heading out second week of September for a 8 day backpack hunt. I'm focused on the 400s as taking part in a remote mountain hunt means as much to me as filling my tag. I'm going to stick to archery only, but unfortunately I'm away for work and will only be flying back the day before my hunt starts....so any scouting will be during my few precious hunting days. For some background, I've been chasing elk for 7 years now throughout western Canada and the US, and I've followed both the Elk101 Elk University course and all of Elk Nut's DVDs, so my calling is at least reasonable....so I hope at least, haha.

I'm leaning towards 400 and 402, but I've read a lot about high hunting pressure in these WMUs. First question I have is how bad are the crowds during the archery only season? I also typically hike in at least 10km from any roads with the tipi and spike out from there, so I'm hoping the effort separates me from the masses if there is a lot of pressure.

Also, in terms of elk numbers, how are 400 and 402? I've heard the populations have declined in recent years, but looking at historical harvest reports there still seems to be a number of elk taken each year, albeit with rather low success rates. I'm wondering if the low success rates are a product of folks trying to road hunt the area with little success - meaning that those who work a little harder actually have decent success?

I'm looking at 426, 432 and 434 as well, realizing they have a 6 point limit vice the 3 point in 400 and 402. The stats show only 6 elk taken in each of those WMUs last year, but high success rates - are that few people actually hunting those zones? It's also impossible to decipher success from archery only versus general season, unless I'm missing something?

That's all for now, appreciate any feedback, or other ideas where to look. These WMUs are just where my research lead me to date - but I'm not stuck on them.