Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM

Default Removal of bears spray smell from truck

Does anyone know of a detailing company in Calgary or product that can remove or neutralize Bear Spray from inside a vehicle? If not will it just dissipate on it's own over time? Any advise or suggestions are as always greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM

There has to be a story behind this one.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:34 PM

It should dissipate over time. I know that spray does, Fog sticks around a bit longer cause it gets into everything it touches. as mentioned whats the story behind this one?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
It should dissipate over time. I know that spray does, Fog sticks around a bit longer cause it gets into everything it touches. as mentioned whats the story behind this one?
Thanks Fordtruckin. A couple of young men decided to give their bear spray a try in the parking lot of a lake I was at. Apparently they forgot to factor wind direction into their experament and some of it blew into the half open window of my vehicle. Anyway they got the worst of it and have agreed to pay for any cleaning so I don't think they will be playing with bear spray anytime soon. Hopefully it will just go away with time. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM

I have heard of it actually going off in in the cab on hot days....and it not being possible to get it out. But it sounds like maybe you won't have it as bad as it was done outside.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM

I contacted one of the manufacturers after one went off in our basement, and they suggested wiping everything down with mild soap and water, then fresh air and UV exposure. We also had to have the carpets cleaned. I would think that a very anal detailing job and letting the truck sit outside with the windows open on a warm day would take care of it.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Just make sure you pay special attention to your ventilation system....or else it will get blown back into the cab of your truck every time you use it.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM

If you are sprayed with bear spray the best wy to get rid of it is to use Johnsons baby soap and sit in front of a blowing fan. Also a cpl of years ago when some . . . less desirable(?) youths . . . let off two cans of spray in our apartment hallways the fire department came and set up 4 industrial strength fans.

Personally I would find the most expensive detailing company if they are going to foot the bill.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM

I had the whole can go off in my truck in my driveway with both my kids in the truck...OMG what a nightmare. I had the truck at Jonny Rockets in Calgary within a few hours and $500.00 later they did a great job.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM

I had mine sitting on the center console of my truck (going backcountry fishing the next day and didn't want to forget it) with the wife and kids inside. I ran into the bank to grab some cash and when I came out my wife had blasted my oldest in the face from 3 feet away, inside the truck with the windows done up... when she calmed down enough to speak, "it looked like a water bottle". ????

One with a picture of a bear on the holster, bold type warning, velcro strap over the handle, and a saftey clip over the trigger.

It stopped burning my eyes after a couple of weeks, the orange stain is still visable on all of the white dials.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 AM

Thats terrible....hope your kid was ok. She will never live that one down.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I would think that a very anal detailing job and letting the truck sit outside with the windows open on a warm day would take care of it.
Ya for sure. After the detailing I'd try several sessions of Febreeze as well. That stuff is awesome.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Vacuum. Once the propellant evaporates, you can vacuum

Use a vacuum at Shell or other gas station where it vents into a trap
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Take it to a detailer and ask them to ozoneate it, its just a machine that removes smell.... Very well we use it at my shop and it kills most any odour. A bit of elbow grease prior to this will help too
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Seems to me car dealers have a "scent bomb" of some sort that will take scent of smoking out of a used vehicle, may work on that stuff,too
I know a fella that had bear spray go off in his pants pocket, while he was dragging out a moose. He got a little excited after that. We saw him maybe 1/2 hr after it happened. It actually seemed to burn the skin a little, pretty nasty looking, was some form of pepper spray.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Default Thank you!

Well after a bit of washing, airing out and a whole lot of Febreeze the stink is gone. I called the young man who gave me his contact info to let him know he was off the hook for any cleaning bill and it turns out he actually had to go to the hospital in Sundre after getting a face full of the spray. I'm sure that was punishment enough so I'm kinda glad he didn't have to pay out of pocket. A big thank you to everyone who offered suggestions and ideas. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Good to hear! Have you run your heater/defroster fan yet?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Good to hear! Have you run your heater/defroster fan yet?
I did have to run it for a bit with the widows open and add a bunch of "Febreeze Air Effects" to get the odour out but I think the fact that I never turned it on while the smell was in the vehicle helped to keep most the stink out of the air system. Still I'm suprised how much of an odour it left for such a little amount of spray getting in. Bearspray is no joke!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big4u View Post
I had mine sitting on the center console of my truck (going backcountry fishing the next day and didn't want to forget it) with the wife and kids inside. I ran into the bank to grab some cash and when I came out my wife had blasted my oldest in the face from 3 feet away, inside the truck with the windows done up... when she calmed down enough to speak, "it looked like a water bottle". ????

One with a picture of a bear on the holster, bold type warning, velcro strap over the handle, and a saftey clip over the trigger.

It stopped burning my eyes after a couple of weeks, the orange stain is still visable on all of the white dials.
!!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Thumbs down Do not bear spray your own truck!

I unlaoded a whole can of bear spray cause there was a **** load of ticks in there and after 3 days with the windows wide open it ate the paint off my dash and after 2 hours of scrubbihng it down with baby soap and cleaner my body was on fire still so I dont recommend this to anyone lol im not sure if its gone yet but I dont think so. Does anyone know anything that will nutralize it? I have tried baby soap, cleaner, open window while it sat in the sun and not really sure what else to try now.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyguy View Post
I unlaoded a whole can of bear spray cause there was a **** load of ticks in there and after 3 days with the windows wide open it ate the paint off my dash and after 2 hours of scrubbihng it down with baby soap and cleaner my body was on fire still so I dont recommend this to anyone lol im not sure if its gone yet but I dont think so. Does anyone know anything that will nutralize it? I have tried baby soap, cleaner, open window while it sat in the sun and not really sure what else to try now.
LOL, bear spray not tick spray, shoulda used tick spray. That is funny right there, sorry bout the truck damage but a whole can of bear spray for ticks? Hold my beer and watch me take care of this tick problem.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

I'd try something lemon based.....works for all sorts of organic/protien based stinky stuff.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:49 AM

A friend had an incident with bear spray in his vehicle a year or so ago.

He had left the canister, in its black nylon holster, on the dash of his vehicle. Apparently it got pretty warm that day, because the canister just "popped" (his words).

He used warm water mixed with baking soda & wiped down the inside of the vehicle with it. It actually worked to neutralize the the spray, but he still had to take his vehicle in to get cleaned as the spray had gone down some of the vents.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I would think that a very anal detailing job and letting the truck sit outside with the windows open on a warm day would take care of it.
Especially if you leave the keys in it
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM

ozonator! , most car dealerships have them i know we do (cam clark ford olds) it sits in the vehicle overnight pluged in and filters all the air in the cab, removes sigerette smell and everything,
Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM

The smell will come out eventualy. In my old heliportable days one of the other crews were picked up and he never put his bear spray in the compartment he was supose to and what do you no it went off when they were on there way back to there staging area. From what i hear that was not a nice flight.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Bear spray is an oil based product (oleoresin capsicum), should try using straight water in a steamer, if it is really strong I would try sunlight, it is designed for removing oil. Make sure you dilute it before applying it to your vehicles fabrics.