Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-27-2012, 12:23 AM

Default Scouting Elk

Okay so I am unsure of elk movements as this is my second season targeting these majestic beasts. Where we were hunting them last year in the start of november they were all over. I know that they migrate and travel lots. but when would be a good time to go out and see whats out there for elk?? We know this land really well as we have been all over it last season. I dunno if it matters or not but its in the porkies. We are hoping to do a bunch of filming this year and are going to try real hard to get an early season elk with bow in our regular haunt. hunting the 400's isnt to bad but compared to where we hunt in 305, well we can cover twice as much land then in the 400's in a day lol. Thanks for the tips or any general information lol
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 AM

instead of hunting them in november,
try hunting in the middle of september, ( you know, when they start to rut?) lol
Old 06-27-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
instead of hunting them in november,
try hunting in the middle of september, ( you know, when they start to rut?) lol
blah blah, I know hahah, I was hunting the 400's alone pretty hard, when I met my new hunting partner but by then it was november and he took me to a few good places in 305. I like 305 way better lol. I like seeing a pile of elk and not working very hard to do it. 400's I wore out a pair of boots (thats no lie either) and only came across elk 3 times, lots of grizz though
Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
blah blah, I know hahah, I was hunting the 400's alone pretty hard, when I met my new hunting partner but by then it was november and he took me to a few good places in 305. I like 305 way better lol. I like seeing a pile of elk and not working very hard to do it. 400's I wore out a pair of boots (thats no lie either) and only came across elk 3 times, lots of grizz though
er wait what I ment to say was "THEY RUT IN SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!" geez I thought it was the last two weeks of november
Old 06-27-2012, 12:36 AM

lol, yeah i'm just pulling your leg.
but if you can get out earlier in the season, and learn how to call.
it will benefit you for sure.
good luck,

finn.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
lol, yeah i'm just pulling your leg.
but if you can get out earlier in the season, and learn how to call.
it will benefit you for sure.
good luck,

finn.
Well I did say it is my second season, but I did spend a whack load of time practicing my calls, I was at home and im sure I drove the downstairs neighbors crazy lol. Now finn are you suggesting i head out in say july aug to the field and call em in???