Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 07:21 PM

I’ve had good luck with the cowboy style Ariat boots. Comfortable, last ok, not as hot as lace ups, and easy on, easy off.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-30-2020, 08:23 PM

Anyone wear Blundstones? Thinking of getting a pair. I like the fact that they are slip on.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:14 PM

A while back in another thread I made positive remarks about Unik boots. Canadian made and by far the most comfortable internal metatarsal guarded boot I've worn. Sadly, they just don't hold up. The inside fabric on the heel wears through in about 3 months. The retailer had a cobbler sew in leather to repair, which will certainly help extend the life of the boot but makes them about as difficult to put on as hockey skates. The leather boots are good in all other regards. The higher end boots have some sort of rough outer material, one boot cracked open on the outer edge at the ball of the feet in about a year. I've been through a variety of boots in the last 14 years and I've never worn the inside heel out on a boot like this. Super disappointing because I like the boots in all other regards, but to take a brand new $350 boot to a cobbler just to get more than 3 months out of it is absurd.

I'm not sure if the company itself is still in business, last time I was in at my usual boot retailer I noticed they were clearing out their remaining stock and the social media accounts Unik had previously have disappeared.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:00 PM

I would recommend Viberg boots as well, I’ve tried lots of different boots over the years but I seem to end up going back to Vibergs. If you call them they will send you a kit to measure and trace your feet they will then tell you the size to order. That’s the great part they have lots of width sizes and the fit is great.
Don’t let the price scare you off, as if you get the contractor type they can be re soled, the pair I currently have I bought in 2017 and just had them re soled for $150. I Just sent them to Viberg and they resoled them cleaned them, threw in new laces and sent them back.

I was wearing The Timberland Pros previously and I would go through 1 pair a year at almost $300 a pair.
If you look at it like that the Vibergs are cheap and I just looked at the website and they are on sale right now.
Checkout Workboot.com is the website to get them. I wear mine 12 hours a day for a 7 day shift and my feet don’t bother me at all, they are super comfy, they are a little heavy but for me not an issue for the superior comfort.

Todd
Old 08-04-2020, 10:13 AM

So, i bought a pair of Timberland Pro Boondocks last night.
Same price as RW, felt pretty good on my feet, nice width. Would be nice to have more support for the arches, but nothing some insoles can't fix.
Checked out the HHs, and Keens. Only one model of HHs out of 3 was made out of leather, other two were made of something that looked like woven fiber, so it did raise questions about waterproofing. In the end i didn't even consider them, though do have to admit that those were lightest boots i every held in my hands.
Keens, IMO had a major flaw in the design. The tongue stitching to the sides of the boots (if you understand what i mean) stopped at ankle level, so from that point up the tongue would slide to one side after 30 seconds walking around the store. And if i were to fall into the pot hole filled with water i'd be soaked if it was deeper than ankle level. Why was it a concern? Because it had happen to me. Another problem with Keens - top part of the boot is really bulky.

RWs have the longest stitching be tongue, basically it's a tube pretty much from the opening. Timberlands start about 2" from the top.

At the moment of writing this message i have been wearing new boots for 3 hours, another observation - they are pretty warm. One of the guys in the crew mentioned he's wearing same boots hunting in the dead of winter and they are realllly warm.
I guess I'll report the longevity in 3-6-12 months.