gathers love too gather together

the forest floor was covered with Huckleberry's

used a hand picker and a berry screen

fun fun fun

mmmm good antioxidants

Thanks for sharing Aj Alberta

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Huckle's 2.jpg (57.6 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Huckle's.jpg (68.4 KB, 225 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 AM

Awsome!!!! I was up fishing Bertha lake in Waterton earlier this week. Didn’t know they had hucks up there by the lake.

Didn’t get much fishin done (burp).
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-31-2019, 09:55 AM

Lots of old timers in the crowsnest pass are still mad at the NDP government for taking out the road to middle kootenay pass to their berry patch.
Young guys can still walk or take an electric bike but us old guys can just curse.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:22 AM

Yup!
Pretty nasty move eh? Let em pick. It’s a bloody fire road to there anyways.

There’s a couple other places ya can’t get to because if the quad ban as well.

It sucks.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-31-2019, 12:01 PM

Be grateful the wiser ones are even allowing you to pick the Queen's Castle berries.

I'll bet not one of you common poachers followed the law, instead ignorantly stole from the Crown.

That looks awesome Speckle. Those are the Best berries of all.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-31-2019, 01:14 PM

http://www.wildmushrooms.ws/index.ph...rovincial-park

So if we follow these regulations about picking in a provincial park then we have to have permission from a conservation officer.
So I wonder do all those people who take part in the Castle mountain berry picking jamboree have to get permission from a conservation officer or do they live by special rules.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:40 PM

Default Hucks

Here is a pic of the second cooler full we have picked this year. That's all my back can handle LOL! We are done for this year. Let the bears have the rest.

We were severely beat on as kids if we even suggested using a hand picker and screen. Wrecks too many plants according to my Parents.

The Wife makes jam, pancake syrup, pies etc.. Absolutely delicious!

Last edited by Jim Blake; 06-07-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:41 PM

I would like to apologize to speckle 55 for turning his positive thread into a negative thread.
I am glad you got some good berries. Mom used to freeze them and we would have them with dinner on special days.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:34 AM

Talking Hublet + Molly = 146 years combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Lots of old timers in the crowsnest pass are still mad at the NDP government for taking out the road to middle kootenay pass to their berry patch.
Young guys can still walk or take an electric bike but us old guys can just curse.
Well, after reading Bessie's post about berries, we went up there on August 19th. Should have looked at the satellite photo beforehand to remind ourselves how far it was, although that would not have prepared us for how rocky and bad the trail has become once you get to the junction of the West and Middle Kootenay Pass Trails! When the Hublet read the sign that said 5.4 km still to the Pass, he wondered if maybe we should turn around. But we didn't. We didn't make it to the Pass but were very close and just too tired to go further. too tired to get more than about 1 1/2 quarts of berries, and we were just beat by the time we got back to the parking lot!! We were sore for three days afterwards!
So I look upon these massive berry hauls being posted, and weep...

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
It's the WWW (Wild Wild West) in the Pass as far as OHV traffic goes. This past weekend there were quads and motorcycles on every trail in the area. The Livingstone PLUZ has very few designated trails, in comparison to pre PLUZ designation, but that didn't stop the hordes of riders I encountered while I was elk hunting. It's no different than before the trail closures, there is still no enforcement, so have at 'er boys. 12 motorcycles tore past me while I was walking a single track (never was a designated trail in the first place). It's chaos without enforcement. Local guys mostly know the enforcement officers and abide by the legislation, but the visitors, feigning ignorance take to the trails like there are no rules. No wonder we get the government we deserve.