Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM

Default Where to start looking for mid-priced bows?

I'm thinking of getting into archery this winter, in preparation for hunting some moose next season. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choices available, and so I'd like to hear some of your guys' opinions.
Where's the best place (or brand) to start with for a mid priced bow? I need to stay below $700, I don't want to have to fork over more than a few hundred bucks after I've sold my rifle. I'd even consider a traditional bow if it's the right price. Draw weight largely won't be an issue either, as long as it's not a 110 pound monster. What's a good manufacturer to start looking at?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Your local pro shop is the best place to start. Shoot all the bows in your price range (new and used) and purchase the bow that feels the best to you.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Try trophy book archery. They will get you set up.

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Just picked up a new mathews chill at trophybook today.the service there is outstanding very friendly and helpfull.and they have lots of bows in diffetent price ranges to try out.good luck
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Try swampdonky outdoors and save your self $300 way cheaper then trophy book
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
^^^ They are are closed until the 22nd? I phoned there today and the phone message said they were closed. I've only been there once but the service was really good.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
$300 less for a mid-priced bow package? That sounds like a tall order -- I hope you're right I'll check them out as well as trophy book.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 AM

Got my new pse dna from swamp 720$ bucks trophybook wants 899 now new rest sight quiver a few other goodies add it up
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM

You should try the Bowtech assasin out, its a wicked package and less vibration then the Pse Stinger ,and for the $300 sheaper thats hard to believe on package bows seiing their only $399 - $700 to begin with so to see a Stinger for $99 ,I might have to come up there and buy a few to sell to archery shops down here and make some money for myself
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM

Trophy Book has a bunch of bows on clearance because they are discontinued, they are listed on the website I believe I saw two bowtech destroyers for 600. I've deal with both Trophy Book and Swamp donkey. I only let Trophy Book do work on my bow because they so far have only done what I ask, or if they see something they've called me to confirm.

I bought my Hoyt from Martin, he is great to deal with, he just didn't do the tech work on my bow like he said he would (didn't cost me anything). Otherwise his service is tough to beat, I find he is prices are better for everything too, from Broadheads to Tree stands. He just likes to BS a lot, haha.

Stik'em
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik'em View Post
Trophy Book has a bunch of bows on clearance because they are discontinued, they are listed on the website I believe I saw two bowtech destroyers for 600. I've deal with both Trophy Book and Swamp donkey. I only let Trophy Book do work on my bow because they so far have only done what I ask, or if they see something they've called me to confirm.

I bought my Hoyt from Martin, he is great to deal with, he just didn't do the tech work on my bow like he said he would (didn't cost me anything). Otherwise his service is tough to beat, I find he is prices are better for everything too, from Broadheads to Tree stands. He just likes to BS a lot, haha.

Stik'em
You hit the nail on the head with Martin, haha.
Does good work, but he likes to talk for sure. Good guy tho, probably gonna be picking a new bow up from him pretty soon here.

To the OP I have a package I'm looking to sell, pretty much ready to go, a few years old but only asking $225, just needs a rest.
PM me for pics if you are interested.

Schian
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM

I was at Trophy book today and was surprised to see that they had no consignment / used rack, only new stuff. They said it was because there are too many used ones around and they dont have the space to do it. Just fyi.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
You hit the nail on the head with Martin, haha.
Does good work, but he likes to talk for sure. Good guy tho, probably gonna be picking a new bow up from him pretty soon here.

To the OP I have a package I'm looking to sell, pretty much ready to go, a few years old but only asking $225, just needs a rest.
PM me for pics if you are interested.

Schian
PM sent. Thanks Schian. Thanks to everyone else as well, I'll start doing some looking at both of those stores.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Not sure how you have made out butI have a very nice used Hoyt Vipertec for sale that is fully equipped with 10 carbon arrows for $600.00.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM

if your a lefty i have a bowtech assassin for sale in the classifieds
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 AM

my next bow I will give swamp donkey a try. met him at the sportsman show and I was impressed with his customer service.

My present and first bow i purchased at TB. Based on my perception of attitute received, as I mentioned I will give swampdonkey a try. Maybe I just caught a bad day. Please note, my username has nothing to do with the shop.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
my next bow I will give swamp donkey a try. met him at the sportsman show and I was impressed with his customer service.

My present and first bow i purchased at TB. Based on my perception of attitute received, as I mentioned I will give swampdonkey a try. Maybe I just caught a bad day. Please note, my username has nothing to do with the shop.
Martin's a good guy, likes to BS and knows his stuff. Gotta take him with a grain of salt though and don't tell him you bought your other bows at TB haha, he likes to rag on every other shop/ bow tech out there. Likely you'll hear him call them story book or something and then go on about how bad they are.
Either way, his prices are hard to beat and he's good with a bow thats for sure.

Schian
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM

Default Check out Jimbows

If your lookin in calgary, check out Jimbows. Amazing service and so much knowledge. So much selection. He will set you up and you will walk out of there with the biggest smile on your face! I promise...