Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2022, 09:22 AM

Default 7mm-08

Hey everyone,
Just wondering about this calibre. I am thinking of acquiring a rifle in this calibre. One of the things I look at is ammo supply. I don’t reload or plan to in the future. When looking on line it seems as there is not much out there on the sites but did notice stores do have a decent supply. Just wondering what others see. Has this become a fairly common calibre? Price range seems to vary, seems a bit more pricey than some of the other commons. If you have a minute just looking for a little feedback
Old 11-04-2022, 09:28 AM

I think the 7-08 is gaining more popularity than it has had in the past. It is really similar to the .308 yet I own both and hunt with both. Factory ammo supply is very hit and miss no matter what cartridge you shoot right now, it will get better but who knows when.

I personally like the 7-08 and use it primarily for deer hunting. It would be fine for moose and elk with the proper bullet, but I have other rifles I use for moose and elk hunting.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:53 AM

My 2 kids are 19 and 22 now. They both have 30-06 and 7-08. When they go hunting they always reach for their 7-08's.

My neighbor took up hunting last year, he's over 50 y.o. He bought a 7-08 for himself after checking out the selections. He even got a deer last year with it.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:59 AM

The 7mm-08 is a nice, low recoil cartridge that works well for big game. Ammunition supply varies, but if you look around, you can usually find some. Then again, some of the largest stores didn't have a single 7mmremmag cartridge in stock, even though it is a very popular cartridge
Old 11-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Default Next part…

This is great info, thank you. I am considering trading my 7mm Rem Mag (AB3). It has been sitting in my safe going on 3 yrs. I just figured it would be nice to have a magnum cartridge in case I ever went fir moose or elk at somewhat long range. With that said, long range for me is 200 yards. With the bullet diameter of a 7mm similar to the 7mm-08 I am thinking maybe just downsizing to something I may use more often for white tail. I do have a 30-06 as well which I am sure is very capable of taking elk or moose with the right conditions. I have been using my 06 for 15 yrs… nothing has walked away from it yet when I do my part. Just wondering if my thinking is realistic or if I am out to lunch on difference between a 7mm and an 06 for big game 200 yards and under?
Old 11-04-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
This is great info, thank you. I am considering trading my 7mm Rem Mag (AB3). It has been sitting in my safe going on 3 yrs. I just figured it would be nice to have a magnum cartridge in case I ever went fir moose or elk at somewhat long range. With that said, long range for me is 200 yards. With the bullet diameter of a 7mm similar to the 7mm-08 I am thinking maybe just downsizing to something I may use more often for white tail. I do have a 30-06 as well which I am sure is very capable of taking elk or moose with the right conditions. I have been using my 06 for 15 yrs… nothing has walked away from it yet when I do my part. Just wondering if my thinking is realistic or if I am out to lunch on difference between a 7mm and an 06 for big game 200 yards and under?
The bullet diameter isn’t similar for the 7mmremmag, and the 7mm-08, it is identical. They use the same bullet, the only difference is the case capacity. Anything that a 7mmremmag can do at 400 yards, the 7mm-08 can do at 200 yards.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:51 AM

Don't hesitate on the 7-08. I've had a few and settled in on a kimber that my wife shoots. A savage for the teens.

I'm using 145 gr right now because I reload, but a 120 gr ttsx should work out perfect for elk, moose, deer out further than your probably comfortable shooting.

The 7-08 is a very manageable recoil and a joy to shoot.

Ammo availability is like all the rest right now, buy it when you see it as it might not be there tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:33 PM

Younger guy who hunts with us, asked me what he should get in a 7 Rem as his first rifle. I said “NOTHING. You should not get a 7 Rem as your first rifle unless you wanna risk a flinch.” Told him to get a 7-08 and use a 120 grain TTSX and go hunting. He dropped a bull elk in it’s tracks from a fair distance. Great combo in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:55 PM

After watching my children take a lot of game with a 7-08, and further to that watching my daughter take a lot of pretty respectable whitetail bucks, and a cow moose with her little 7-08, I went and got one built for myself. Be it 139gr BTSP, Intelock’s in a slightly reduced load doing 2660 fps, or 139gr LRX’s doing 2780fps, what’s not to like, they just work. And why wouldn’t it, the gold standard for big game cartridges world wide for nearly a century was the 7x57, and guess what the 7-08 pretty much mimics what the venerable 7mm Mauser(7x57 or .275 Rigby) does.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-04-2022, 08:56 PM

I do reload, but even if you don't reload you can find 7mm-08 premium ammo on the shelves. I have 140 gr Nosler partitions for mine, it's dropped deer, elk and moose. I don't shoot much beyond 200 yards either.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:41 PM

I have a BLR in 7mm08, love the gun. I have taken deer, elk, and moose with it. And because it was mentioned, I have a Ruger No.1 in .275 Rigby, I never miss an opportunity to say that.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:50 AM

7mm-08 is great! On my second 7mm-08 now. Sold my first one, missed it, so got another.

I do reload, but also buy factory when I don't have time to reload (which seems the norm over the last few years.) 120-140 grain bullets are perfect for it, heavier bullet options are rare in factory loads. If you want heavier than 140gr I would look at the 308.

I think prices are very similar, Cabelas have really increased their prices on everything now. I have found better deals in other shops.

Ammo and Components supply is getting better now. During the worst times about a 6 months to a year ago, by for the most factory options i saw on the shelves was 308 win.

Between the 7mm-08 , 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor - factory options of the 7mm-08 are probably the worst...but still can be found. I wouldn't let supply dictate your choice, you can find everything you want if you look hard enough.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:39 AM

Most of the stores in my area usually have a few boxes of 7mm-08 on the shelf
Old 11-05-2022, 07:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Younger guy who hunts with us, asked me what he should get in a 7 Rem as his first rifle. I said “NOTHING. You should not get a 7 Rem as your first rifle unless you wanna risk a flinch.” Told him to get a 7-08 and use a 120 grain TTSX and go hunting. He dropped a bull elk in it’s tracks from a fair distance. Great combo in my opinion.
My son got a tikka t3 in 7-08 from his grandfather for Xmas when he turned 14, he is 30 now, moose, deer, yotes etc all taken with the little seven, asked him once when we were sitting on the side of a hill are you ever gonna get a rifle chambered in a bigger caliber.....response was...why?

I had no answer.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-05-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
My son got a tikka t3 in 7-08 from his grandfather for Xmas when he turned 14, he is 30 now, moose, deer, yotes etc all taken with the little seven, asked him once when we were sitting on the side of a hill are you ever gonna get a rifle chambered in a bigger caliber.....response was...why?

I had no answer.
You can move up to a larger capacity case, and drive the bullet faster, but there is no real advantage to a larger caliber in Alberta.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You can move up to a larger capacity case, and drive the bullet faster, but there is no real advantage to a larger caliber in Alberta.
That's not necessarily true. There are lots of reason why bigger calibers give huge advantages. But its totally hunt style dependent.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:20 AM

My wife has a kimber in 7mm08 as well and loads the 120 grain TTSX. After 5 years of hunting and seeing her shoot a sheep and a number or deer with it i see no reason why a guy couldn't get along with a 7mm08. I watched a friend of mine also kill an elk with the 7mm08 amd eldx bullet.

In fact i am pulling off my 270 barrel and throwing a 7mm08 on my own rifle this winter. If you hand load, you will notice that you can reasonably get 92% of the velocity with 80% ish of the powder as the 270. And in this day and age of insane powder prices I see that as a win.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
That's not necessarily true. There are lots of reason why bigger calibers give huge advantages. But its totally hunt style dependent.
So what huge advantages do bigger calibers provide in Alberta?
Old 11-05-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So what huge advantages do bigger calibers provide in Alberta?
Hunting elk / moose in thick timber... bigger calibers anchor them faster so they dont die in thicker timber. For one. I have seen bulls of both species killed with most traditional calibers. Bigger heavier bullets always perform better for shorter tracking jobs provided the hunter can hit vitals/ shoulders. Bigger heavier bullets often produce better blood trails, they often penetrate more as well....but like I said its totally hunting style/ area specific. Guys who hunt open timber/ mixed farm land there is no real advantage..unless your shooting game way out there....
Personally I have shot elk/moose with .243, 30-30, .308, 30-06, 300wm and 45-70. Have witnessed 7-08, 7mm RM,300wsm, 35 whelan, 338 wm.. as well as several others... guess which ones produced the best blood trails and most visual effect ( knock down power) on them... the 338wm, 35 whelan, and 45-70 at ranges inside 200 yds and 300 wm (200 gr bullet) and 338wm 300+.
The biggest issue I find with guys shooting 7mm is they often choose lighter for caliber bullets...also frontal diameter is a real thing in terms of terminal ballistics and has a quantifiable effect on game in terms of wound channel as well as energy impact.

This is based on my experience hunting both thick heavy bush as well as mixed timber and farm land.
IME at bow range in thick timber big heavy slow moving lead is king. Bullets with a big wide meplate with tones of mass do very well at anchoring and leaving heavy blood trails.
Lighter faster smaller diameter bullets tend to kill but often result in sparse blood trails and longer distances wounded game can travel. I would say this is a huge advantage for a guy who has to pack kills out on his back. This is just my opinion based on experience yours might vary.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:30 AM

As to the OPs question yes the 7-08 is a great cartridge for all round hunting.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Hunting elk / moose in thick timber... bigger calibers anchor them faster so they dont die in thicker timber. For one. I have seen bulls of both species killed with most traditional calibers. Bigger heavier bullets always perform better for shorter tracking jobs provided the hunter can hit vitals/ shoulders. Bigger heavier bullets often produce better blood trails, they often penetrate more as well....but like I said its totally hunting style/ area specific. Guys who hunt open timber/ mixed farm land there is no real advantage..unless your shooting game way out there....
Personally I have shot elk/moose with .243, 30-30, .308, 30-06, 300wm and 45-70. Have witnessed 7-08, 7mm RM,300wsm, 35 whelan, 338 wm.. as well as several others... guess which ones produced the best blood trails and most visual effect ( knock down power) on them... the 338wm, 35 whelan, and 45-70 at ranges inside 200 yds and 300 wm (200 gr bullet) and 338wm 300+.
The biggest issue I find with guys shooting 7mm is they often choose lighter for caliber bullets...also frontal diameter is a real thing in terms of terminal ballistics and has a quantifiable effect on game in terms of wound channel as well as energy impact.

This is based on my experience hunting both thick heavy bush as well as mixed timber and farm land.
IME at bow range in thick timber big heavy slow moving lead is king. Bullets with a big wide meplate with tones of mass do very well at anchoring and leaving heavy blood trails.
Lighter faster smaller diameter bullets tend to kill but often result in sparse blood trails and longer distances wounded game can travel. I would say this is a huge advantage for a guy who has to pack kills out on his back. This is just my opinion based on experience yours might vary.
The frontal area definitely effects the size of the wound channel, but it's the frontal area of the expanding bullet that counts, not the size of the unfired bullet. All of my elk but one, and most of my moose were killed with higher velocity cartridges than any you have listed. That velocity, combined with a bullet that typically expands to more than twice the unfired diameter, produces wound channels that have put both elk and moose down with little to no tracking required. In fact the longest tracking job that I have had, was on a moose that ran 75 yards or so, after being struck with the largest caliber that I have used, my 338x8mmremag, with the heaviest bullet that I have used, a 210gr Partition. My own 7mm , a 7mmstw, has no problems putting elk and moose down without tracking jobs, when using the 140-150 gr TTSX. The high velocity produces rapid expansion, and a large frontal area, which combined with the velocity, and very high weight retention, produces a large wound channel, and penetration comparable to much heavier bullets. Now if you use a much lower velocity cartridge , the wound channel colume will be smaller, and you may have to do some tracking.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
Any reason you don’t like your 7mag?

Yes of course the 3006 will do just fine for everything, it always has. The value in a second rifle is for when the first one gets fubar’d, and if you hunt enough, it will happen.

If you want smaller for deer, there’s not enough difference between 3006, 7mag and 708. 243 and 25-06 have flat trajectory and don’t wreck as much meat if you clip a shoulder, especially using monolithic bullets.

If I ONLY have a deer tag and I know the shots will be 200 or less, I take the 243. If I have any other tags or potential longer shots, I take the 7mag. pretty easy decision.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The frontal area definitely effects the size of the wound channel, but it's the frontal area of the expanding bullet that counts, not the size of the unfired bullet. All of my elk but one, and most of my moose were killed with higher velocity cartridges than any you have listed. That velocity, combined with a bullet that typically expands to more than twice the unfired diameter, produces wound channels that have put both elk and moose down with little to no tracking required. In fact the longest tracking job that I have had, was on a moose that ran 75 yards or so, after being struck with the largest caliber that I have used, my 338x8mmremag, with the heaviest bullet that I have used, a 210gr Partition. My own 7mm , a 7mmstw, has no problems putting elk and moose down without tracking jobs, when using the 140-150 gr TTSX. The high velocity produces rapid expansion, and a large frontal area, which combined with the velocity, and very high weight retention, produces a large wound channel, and penetration comparable to much heavier bullets. Now if you use a much lower velocity cartridge , the wound channel colume will be smaller, and you may have to do some tracking.
At bow range ( where most of the elk/ moose I shoot are) the faster rounds tend not to kill as dramatically well as a big 405 gr hard cast through the shoulders.. added bonus is not nearly as much blood shot meat ( another advantage of big and slow)You asked what advantage a larger round has in alberta. I gave you my opinion based on experience. A fully expanded 338 bullet is larger than a fully expanded 7mm, always, every time. If a 7mm produces a big wound channel a 388 makes a bigger one..There are definitely situations where that is a huge advantage. I have personally never seen a 7mm bullet expanded as large as a 45 cal expanded..nor have I ever seen a 7mm bullet penetrate even half the distance if a 405gr hard cast....like I said it's not an across the board advantage but for certain situations bigger is definitely better. Another advantage which I have tested for myself is results of deflection of projectiles when in thick timber... without a doubt bigger slower deflect much less than smaller faster. Which is a bonus for thick timber hunters....note I did not say big / slow dont deflect.. they just deflect much less..I am in no way saying a 7mm in any cartridge is not a good choice for an all rounder, just that there are certain clear advantages to going bigger in some applications.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
At bow range ( where most of the elk/ moose I shoot are) the faster rounds tend not to kill as dramatically well as a big 405 gr hard cast through the shoulders.. added bonus is not nearly as much blood shot meat ( another advantage of big and slow)You asked what advantage a larger round has in alberta. I gave you my opinion based on experience. A fully expanded 338 bullet is larger than a fully expanded 7mm, always, every time. If a 7mm produces a big wound channel a 388 makes a bigger one..There are definitely situations where that is a huge advantage. I have personally never seen a 7mm bullet expanded as large as a 45 cal expanded..nor have I ever seen a 7mm bullet penetrate even half the distance if a 405gr hard cast....like I said it's not an across the board advantage but for certain situations bigger is definitely better. Another advantage which I have tested for myself is results of deflection of projectiles when in thick timber... without a doubt bigger slower deflect much less than smaller faster. Which is a bonus for thick timber hunters....note I did not say big / slow dont deflect.. they just deflect much less..I am in no way saying a 7mm in any cartridge is not a good choice for an all rounder, just that there are certain clear advantages to going bigger in some applications.
Again , you are making assumptions, expansion depends on bullet construction and impact velocity, so a .338 bullet may not expand to a larger diameter, if the bullet construction is different, or if the impact velocity is less, and accordingly, the wound channel, may not be any larger. This is especially true with the monometal bullets, where 400fps less, can make a huge difference in expanded diameter, and your listed cartridges are all lower velocity than mine. As for the hard cast bullet, you are giving up expansion, in exchange for penetration, so you are willingly giving up wound channel volume.
As for penetration, the vast majority of my monometal bullets pass through the animal, so you can't improve on that.
So with properly chosen bullets, and enough impact velocity, you don't necessarily have to track more animals with a 7mm caliber, especially if you choose a higher velocity cartridge.
As for deflection of bullets, they all deflect, and various tests have been published that show that the larger calibers aren't always deflected less. The only sure way to avoid deflection, is to not shoot through branches.
So the one advantage that you have left, is less damaged meat, and I will concede that, as less hydrostatic shock, means less bloodshot meat. Then again, some people will argue that hydrostatic shock kills.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:01 PM

What’s not to like about 7-08. Moderate recoil, not a speed demon but good velocities , good accuracy . Just a decent all around choice .
Old 11-05-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I could'nt agree more with this assesment. Having used various speed demons such as the 7 STW for a number of year's I have sinced changed over to a .35 Whelen Ai and a 9.3x62 several years ago. The increased difference in terminal performance is certainly noticible with both cartridges... with a lot less bruised or damaged tissue due to excess velocity. There are great bullet choices for the bigger bores as well, so no reason to be concerned about bullet expansion or penetration and no real reason to be concerned about a "blood trail".
As the old saying goes, .."there is no replacement for displacement" and as many will attest to, you can eat right up to the hole - on Deer sized game as well. Neither cartridge is a hog on powder nor exibits excessive recoil. Out to 300 yd they are almost perfect for anything you are likely to encounter IMO. Whats not to like!

Old 11-05-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Any reason you don’t like your 7mag?

Yes of course the 3006 will do just fine for everything, it always has. The value in a second rifle is for when the first one gets fubar’d, and if you hunt enough, it will happen.

If you want smaller for deer, there’s not enough difference between 3006, 7mag and 708. 243 and 25-06 have flat trajectory and don’t wreck as much meat if you clip a shoulder, especially using monolithic bullets.

If I ONLY have a deer tag and I know the shots will be 200 or less, I take the 243. If I have any other tags or potential longer shots, I take the 7mag. pretty easy decision.
Recoil, it’s a bit more than my 30-06…I find it’s just more than I am looking to use. I have 3 of the ones you mentioned already so probably have enough deer rifles in the similar calibres area in regards to effective not including my 7mm. I took it on trade 3 yrs ago mainly to have a magnum calibre and it sits in the safe. Maybe one day I will take her out
Old 11-05-2022, 11:24 PM

I love the 7-08. My first rifle was in that cartridge and I have since bought 3 more. It has been fantastic for deer and on two moose using Federal box ammo with Nosler partitions. My first moose was at 275 yards too. Shooting it is easy on the shoulder too. I think (obviously) that it's a great round.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-05-2022, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is 100% true
Old 11-06-2022, 07:52 AM

My wife, sister in law, and buddies son all hunt with a 7mm-08. Combined they have take mule deer, blacktail, whitetail, black bear(some large boars), and moose none have a complaint and anyone who has hunted with them would agree they have produced great results. It’s been gaining respect amongst the hunters I know

As for the bush hunting debate I disagree. Majority of my friends and family are bush hunters. You name a big game caliber it has likely been used by someone I know. I have yet to see a moose end up any deader using even a big magnum. All but 3 of the guys who were big magnum promoters have down sized now to a more moderate caliber. Out of the 3 guys who still love there magnum 2 admit they just the big “boom” and the moderate caliber produces the same results

To each their own shoot what you want just put the hole in the right spot