Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-04-2022, 09:22 AM

Default 7mm-08

Hey everyone,
Just wondering about this calibre. I am thinking of acquiring a rifle in this calibre. One of the things I look at is ammo supply. I don’t reload or plan to in the future. When looking on line it seems as there is not much out there on the sites but did notice stores do have a decent supply. Just wondering what others see. Has this become a fairly common calibre? Price range seems to vary, seems a bit more pricey than some of the other commons. If you have a minute just looking for a little feedback
Old 11-04-2022, 09:28 AM

I think the 7-08 is gaining more popularity than it has had in the past. It is really similar to the .308 yet I own both and hunt with both. Factory ammo supply is very hit and miss no matter what cartridge you shoot right now, it will get better but who knows when.

I personally like the 7-08 and use it primarily for deer hunting. It would be fine for moose and elk with the proper bullet, but I have other rifles I use for moose and elk hunting.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:53 AM

My 2 kids are 19 and 22 now. They both have 30-06 and 7-08. When they go hunting they always reach for their 7-08's.

My neighbor took up hunting last year, he's over 50 y.o. He bought a 7-08 for himself after checking out the selections. He even got a deer last year with it.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:59 AM

The 7mm-08 is a nice, low recoil cartridge that works well for big game. Ammunition supply varies, but if you look around, you can usually find some. Then again, some of the largest stores didn't have a single 7mmremmag cartridge in stock, even though it is a very popular cartridge
Old 11-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Default Next part…

This is great info, thank you. I am considering trading my 7mm Rem Mag (AB3). It has been sitting in my safe going on 3 yrs. I just figured it would be nice to have a magnum cartridge in case I ever went fir moose or elk at somewhat long range. With that said, long range for me is 200 yards. With the bullet diameter of a 7mm similar to the 7mm-08 I am thinking maybe just downsizing to something I may use more often for white tail. I do have a 30-06 as well which I am sure is very capable of taking elk or moose with the right conditions. I have been using my 06 for 15 yrs… nothing has walked away from it yet when I do my part. Just wondering if my thinking is realistic or if I am out to lunch on difference between a 7mm and an 06 for big game 200 yards and under?
Old 11-04-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
This is great info, thank you. I am considering trading my 7mm Rem Mag (AB3). It has been sitting in my safe going on 3 yrs. I just figured it would be nice to have a magnum cartridge in case I ever went fir moose or elk at somewhat long range. With that said, long range for me is 200 yards. With the bullet diameter of a 7mm similar to the 7mm-08 I am thinking maybe just downsizing to something I may use more often for white tail. I do have a 30-06 as well which I am sure is very capable of taking elk or moose with the right conditions. I have been using my 06 for 15 yrs… nothing has walked away from it yet when I do my part. Just wondering if my thinking is realistic or if I am out to lunch on difference between a 7mm and an 06 for big game 200 yards and under?
The bullet diameter isn’t similar for the 7mmremmag, and the 7mm-08, it is identical. They use the same bullet, the only difference is the case capacity. Anything that a 7mmremmag can do at 400 yards, the 7mm-08 can do at 200 yards.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:51 AM

Don't hesitate on the 7-08. I've had a few and settled in on a kimber that my wife shoots. A savage for the teens.

I'm using 145 gr right now because I reload, but a 120 gr ttsx should work out perfect for elk, moose, deer out further than your probably comfortable shooting.

The 7-08 is a very manageable recoil and a joy to shoot.

Ammo availability is like all the rest right now, buy it when you see it as it might not be there tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3006 View Post
Any reason you don’t like your 7mag?

Yes of course the 3006 will do just fine for everything, it always has. The value in a second rifle is for when the first one gets fubar’d, and if you hunt enough, it will happen.

If you want smaller for deer, there’s not enough difference between 3006, 7mag and 708. 243 and 25-06 have flat trajectory and don’t wreck as much meat if you clip a shoulder, especially using monolithic bullets.

If I ONLY have a deer tag and I know the shots will be 200 or less, I take the 243. If I have any other tags or potential longer shots, I take the 7mag. pretty easy decision.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Any reason you don’t like your 7mag?

Yes of course the 3006 will do just fine for everything, it always has. The value in a second rifle is for when the first one gets fubar’d, and if you hunt enough, it will happen.

If you want smaller for deer, there’s not enough difference between 3006, 7mag and 708. 243 and 25-06 have flat trajectory and don’t wreck as much meat if you clip a shoulder, especially using monolithic bullets.

If I ONLY have a deer tag and I know the shots will be 200 or less, I take the 243. If I have any other tags or potential longer shots, I take the 7mag. pretty easy decision.
Recoil, it’s a bit more than my 30-06…I find it’s just more than I am looking to use. I have 3 of the ones you mentioned already so probably have enough deer rifles in the similar calibres area in regards to effective not including my 7mm. I took it on trade 3 yrs ago mainly to have a magnum calibre and it sits in the safe. Maybe one day I will take her out