Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you support the introduction of a bass fishery to Alberta.
Yes 201 52.34%
No 183 47.66%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
What part of "bass grow too slow in Canada" for it to be a viable put-and-take option do you not understand? It's already been explained to you at least a 1/2 dozen times both here and on the "Alberta Bass" thread.

Yes...it works in other areas,like the deep south USA where they feed and grow year round,but a put and take fishery in AB where the bass would only actively feed and grow for 3-4 months of the year is out of the question.It takes a CDN smallmouth 5-8 years to reach any resemblance of a respectable sportfishing size(3lbs?).
Well i'll have you know bass grow just fine in Ont. Quebec and Manatoba and in case you don't under stand THEY ARE ALL PART OF CANADA. If i thought you knew even a little of what your talking about I might listen. Now I would suggest if this thread bothers you DON"T read it .

Last edited by horsetrader; 04-12-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Well i'll have you know bass grow just fine in Ont. Quebec and Manatoba and in case you can under stand THEY ARE ALL PART OF CANADA. If i thought you knew even a little of what your talking about I might listen. Now I would suggest if this thread bothers you DON"T read it .
ht......go to the corner and listen to this till your able to play with others nicely............lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kl62WgoM6E
Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
ht......go to the corner and listen to this till your able to play with others nicely............lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kl62WgoM6E
Feel much better now thanks darter.......you got a hanky .......LOL
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Banned

Darters new Bass fishing tackle box
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donny-and-marie-lb.jpg (18.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Darters new Bass fishing tackle box

hahhahhahahhahhahahahaha.............you goof..now youve cheapened the thread....concentrate and stay on topic
Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
hahhahhahahhahhahahahaha.............you goof..now youve cheapened the thread....concentrate and stay on topic
Maybe I should have said Alberta Bass tackle box?

I apologize for hijacking..........
Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe I should have said Alberta Bass tackle box?

I apologize for hijacking..........
HAHAHA i love this forum
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
HAHAHA i love this forum
We're here all week ....don't forget to tip your waitress..........
Old 04-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Banned

I think that introducing bass into Muir Lake would be a good idea. They already have an aerator there and it'd be a nice change to only catching those pesky trout all of the time!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well i'll have you know bass grow just fine in Ont. Quebec and Manatoba and in case you don't under stand THEY ARE ALL PART OF CANADA. If i thought you knew even a little of what your talking about I might listen. Now I would suggest if this thread bothers you DON"T read it .
....and what does any of that have to do with the put-and-take fishery that you keep suggesting?Or do you even understand what put-and-take is?

P&T works for trout because they grow fast and are easy to replace.For some reason you can't get it through your thick skull that this type of stocking won't work for bass that take years to reach a "fishable" size if they even survive the winter?You keep on saying"well they do it for trout,why not bass?" and it's been explained on here a dozen times "Why not bass"....duhhhh.

....and yes this thread DOES bother me,that's why I keep coming back to it,to try to beat some sense into you and others like you that would risk threatening healthy native trout populations for the sake of $chitty old bass if you had it your way.Thankfully SRD seems to have more sense than almost 50% of the poll respondants here so the whole argument is moot.....put it out of yer mind child,Alberta will not be stocking bass anytime soon and I hope that any braindead bass hole that has any bright ideas of illegally transporting and introducing the spiny bass turds here receives a hefty 6 figure fine along with a lengthy stay in the pen.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
....and what does any of that have to do with the put-and-take fishery that you keep suggesting?Or do you even understand what put-and-take is?

P&T works for trout because they grow fast and are easy to replace.For some reason you can't get it through your thick skull that this type of stocking won't work for bass that take years to reach a "fishable" size if they even survive the winter?You keep on saying"well they do it for trout,why not bass?" and it's been explained on here a dozen times "Why not bass"....duhhhh.

....and yes this thread DOES bother me,that's why I keep coming back to it,to try to beat some sense into you and others like you that would risk threatening healthy native trout populations for the sake of $chitty old bass if you had it your way.Thankfully SRD seems to have more sense than almost 50% of the poll respondants here so the whole argument is moot.....put it out of yer mind child,Alberta will not be stocking bass anytime soon and I hope that any braindead bass hole that has any bright ideas of illegally transporting and introducing the spiny bass turds here receives a hefty 6 figure fine along with a lengthy stay in the pen.
There you go again when you have nothing of value to say you go to name calling. Just you did not realize that alberta is in canada along with many other provinces that have large bass populations is no reason to resort to such childish behavior. If you took time to read the post instead of THINKING you know it all You will see I never once said THEY DO IT FOR TROUT WHY NOT FOR BASS .....Duh! Where you get the idea that down south is the only place that bass grow is dumb founding you should get out and learn more about your own country ......At least 7 provinces support a small mouth fishery.If the whole argument is moot as you say (even though YOU seem to be the only one arguing ) then I suggest you just live with the fact that not every one will agree with little oh you....move on...As far as a bass fishery in alberta ....IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME ....good day sir....I said GOOD DAY!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 AM

Angry Bass

Quote:
curious those who support Bass in AB.....what lakes would you pick to stock them in?
You could start with Amisk Lake near Boyle as there are no perch left to speak of ever since the C & R of walleye in 1996. Last year and again this year you can catch and keep 3 walleye in the special draw system but the lake is completely over populated with walleye.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Thumbs up Bass

Quote:
I would love to see bass introduced I'm afraid they would have to be stocked constantly as survival in the waters here is not likely, winter kill would be a problem and warm up of water for spawning would come to late. As far what lakes they could be stocked in any water that are common to pike they will come in to the shallow water to feed but like deeper water near by.Their eye sight allows them to see is all water colour condition so there are many choices
Cold water does not seem to have caused too many problems with the previously stocked bass in Island Lake near Smoky Lake. You still hear of people cathing them every year.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmitch View Post
Cold water does not seem to have caused too many problems with the previously stocked bass in Island Lake near Smoky Lake. You still hear of people cathing them every year.
Thats a good thing to hear have never fished it myself but might have to give it a try. thanks for the info.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
..... If you took time to read the post instead of THINKING you know it all You will see I never once said THEY DO IT FOR TROUT WHY NOT FOR BASS .....Duh! ....... ...
OH?Is that so?Well guess what,I took the time,and these are your comments regarding P&T bass fishing just from this topic,I'll check the "Alberta Bass" topic after if you'd like?

Quote:
I would love to see bass introduced I'm afraid they would have to be stocked constantly as survival in the waters here is not likely, winter kill would be a problem and warm up of water for spawning would come to late. .......
So,what do you suggest,stock 3" bass every year that will die or spend a fortune raising bass in captivity to 3lbs before releasing them?

Quote:
why not stop restocking one and try another?
because it's a waste of resources.

Quote:
Is there not lakes or ponds that they are stocking every year now with trout due to no reproduction and winter kill?
Yes,what's your point?

Quote:
To stock bass I'm sure it would have to be a harvest situation the chance of reproduction is slim the chance of winter kill is high.Stocked bass ponds have been done before in other areas no different then pay trout ponds
Much different than pay trout ponds and 1000 miles south of here.

Quote:
Nochit Sherlock,and they take several years to reach a desirable size,they aren't re-stocked annually for cooler fillers to harvest.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmitch View Post
while the rumor mill flies about the great bass fishing at Island...the fact is the population is environmentally stressed and has been on the decline for a long time.

My contacts say it is very, very hard to catch one. Not typical of a strong vibrate population.

The habitat, location, water temperature, predators all come together to make it very hard for bass to thrive to the point of being a viable fishery.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM

Doesn't have to be put and take lakes. Make them a restricted lake and let them grow. There is no reason it would have to be put and take at all. Like mentioned they could survive through the winters in alot of places just probably wouldn't spawn. So stock some bigger catchable sized fish right off the bat and then slowly introduce smaller groups every year. This should make for a decent bass fishery down the road. Do this for a 5 year term and see how it works out. If it doesn't work at all then stop the stocking of it and let them die off.

I know they would have to get the stocks from out of province to make this work, but it is possible for Alberta to have some small bass fisheries I think.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
OH?Is that so?Well guess what,I took the time,and these are your comments regarding P&T bass fishing just from this topic,I'll check the "Alberta Bass" topic after if you'd like?

So,what do you suggest,stock 3" bass every year that will die or spend a fortune raising bass in captivity to 3lbs before releasing them?

Yes,what's your point?

Nochit Sherlock,and they take several years to reach a desirable size,they aren't re-stocked annually for cooler fillers to harvest.

I remember reading through Horsetraders posts and you not only reduced his context but you also didn't edit in the continuity of where he was reffering his comments,, there were conversations taking place, he wasn't puffing his feathers on a soapbox.

And you are rude.

And Horsetrader, the other night talking about creating a Berch fishery was just me prying my brain from the boredom of being holed up in a motel for work. Though, Berch would be fun and a great nuissance.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yes,what's your point?

Well you have reached the hight of boredom now you have made mention to 5 post be me and the only mention of TROUT is when I was asking a question as to the stocking of trout which you did not answer. And as far as checking the Alberta bass tread we are discussing this thread But if you feel the need to bring other threads in be my guest. Some day you will realize the Canada has a very wide Bass fishery and no matter what you say it will not disappear. You can try to convince me all you want but i've fished Bass in Canada and their real. And pound for pound will out fight your trout.......
Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I remember reading through Horsetraders posts and you not only reduced his context but you also didn't edit in the continuity of where he was reffering his comments,, there were conversations taking place, he wasn't puffing his feathers on a soapbox.

And you are rude.

And Horsetrader, the other night talking about creating a Berch fishery was just me prying my brain from the boredom of being holed up in a motel for work. Though, Berch would be fun and a great nuissance.
You are right Berch would be a lot of fun to catch but would be a very dangerous fish if repo. was posable. And I would never condone illegal stocking
of any species.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM

By the very mobile nature of my career I have been posted out east to areas where the only decent fly fishing was for bass, both largemouth and smallmouth. From my experience, largemouth were a HUGE disappointment! One, maybe two runs, then they just gave up the fight. Smallies on the other hand were awesome on a flyrod and are caught in the same structures you find trout (at least in rivers/streams).

That being said, I'd rather catch a Bow River bullet anyday (not to mention a drive over the divide to go after Steelhead ) and do not want them introduced into Alberta. Just my .02 cents worth
Old 04-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnVet0506 View Post
By the very mobile nature of my career I have been posted out east to areas where the only decent fly fishing was for bass, both largemouth and smallmouth. From my experience, largemouth were a HUGE disappointment! One, maybe two runs, then they just gave up the fight. Smallies on the other hand were awesome on a flyrod and are caught in the same structures you find trout (at least in rivers/streams).

That being said, I'd rather catch a Bow River bullet anyday (not to mention a drive over the divide to go after Steelhead ) and do not want them introduced into Alberta. Just my .02 cents worth

Going by your avatar........Thank you for what you do...Canada is proud of the great job you all do....stay safe
Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Going by your avatar........Thank you for what you do...Canada is proud of the great job you all do....stay safe
That's a hijack I believe in Thank you for protecting our freedom
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
hes standing on the alberta border looking for tankers full of bass!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 PM

I am on the fence with this one but what if we tried a lake that was not stocked already and a warm body of water that never freezes. I am thinking the lake just outside of Hanna. Sherness Power plant has a heated lake as the water is used to cool the turnbines used to make power. I remember one year waterskiing on this lake just before Halloween and have drove by there many times in the winter and there is always open water. The lake is filled from the Red Deer River and is fully contained as the water is tested and is the main source of water for Hanna. The lake is not that big but there is a campground and marina for area residence that want to spend a day on a warm sandy beach or water skiing in warm water. The outlet on the far end of the lake is a great spot to tie your boat and float in water that is as warm as a hot tub. Best place in Alberta to waterski because if you get cold you just let go and warm up in the water. Not many places can say that. I am sure there would be some issues with a power plant being right there and the water being the main source for a sizeable town but an idea and would not hurt any existing fisheries. The only fish I know of that live in there right now are suckers but not a 100% sure if there is anything else that survives the warm water.

Still not sure if we should divert short money to another project but this is a small enough scale that it could be tried. Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:

Is Put & Take just a wee bit smaller than a Chip & Put or is it a Chip, Put & Take? I'm all confused now.

The poll numbers always come in at a 5 point spread, interesting.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM

Human beings are the only creatures on earth that believe if you do something enough times the same way the out come will be different.

It was tried, It failed, move on.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Human beings are the only creatures on earth that believe if you do something enough times the same way the out come will be different.

Your objection to this thread tried to stop it it failed.MOVE ON!..........
Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

I forgot in your perfect world eveything works the first time.....
Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
NO

Can we go a week without someone bringing up bass?
If ur sick of the topic, why read and respond?