Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You're right. Humans aren't smart enough to control our own population, so nature will have to do it for us. It doesn't take a genius to look at a graph of the worlds population and know we are screwed. Almost certainly in our children's lifetime
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/w...dindata-series
Nature will control any overpopulation. Always has, always will.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 01-22-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I Agree. I have some crappy genetics, if they promised a really nice shot of heroin or something along those lines then a simple euthenization.... I've had a good life, and the way things have been going think I would find peace in it.

So yes, I would volunteer.
Tell you what, let me get my best steel toed boots on, and give you a field goal kick to the berries. When you come to your senses we can go fishing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
They should be walking in to all the hospitals instead of announcing their intentions and giving them time to hide again.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-22-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If I’m one of the chosen ones. So be it. The way she rolls bud.
Would you care to see the world population double what it is currently?
Appreciate your help to the cause but why not add a one child policy to the world and population can drop really quickly? Should be no need for volunteers this way.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Tell you what, let me get my best steel toed boots on, and give you a field goal kick to the berries. When you come to your senses we can go fishing.
I don't think that's what Pink Floyd meant when they wrote Comfortably Numb,could be a whole new meaning to the song.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Appreciate your help to the cause but why not add a one child policy to the world and population can drop really quickly? Should be no need for volunteers this way.
That would work, but humans are much too selfish and many will find an excuse why it shouldn't be themselves that make the sacrifice.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That’s what I said.......”if the world isn’t going to do anything about overpopulation.......” (which they aren’t) ..... then a cleansing will happen and be needed.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Nature will control any overpopulation. Always has, always will.
Absolutely it does and will. One of the most interesting cases of where this happens in nature is with Cordyceps, which is a parasite-like fungus that acts to balance out insects populations in rainforests (among other places). It's amazingly depicted with ants in some great footage in the original 2006 BBC Planet Earth Documentary (Episode 8: Jungles). There is a strain of Cordyceps specific to most insects in the jungle, and if any one species of insect becomes overpopulated, the rate of cordyceps infections takes off and balances it out. The fungus, when it has fully killed it's host, bursts with spores (similar to other mushrooms multiplying), which infects any of the other same type of insect that are exposed. The ants in the documentary work quickly to remove any infected individuals from the colony and carry them far away so the infection doesn't spread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Last edited by czechm8; 01-22-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Added a link for viewing
Old 01-22-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
And if it was a volunteer thingy..... I’d volunteer the overcrowded jails first.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:16 PM

Ok, I usually avoid topics that make people's heads explode...

There have been any number of posts on here about overpopulation being some kind of existential threat, and this newest 'plague' is just nature rebalancing the scales.

But, the earth isn't overpopulated, and the number of people isn't growing exponentially. Not even close. It's another myth that gets peddled and bought into all the time (obviously). Not unlike the climate horror terror apocalypse. Common sense would inform you that for the most part, the planet's land mass is vastly empty. There is lots of good info out there on the topic, I was going to post a couple of links but figured that in light of the 'what is truth' thread....do your own research. Figure it out. There is more food grown than we can eat as a species. If some starve (and not many do anymore despite the heart tug commercials with kids with flies crawling on their faces and send us your money)...it is a political failure, not a crop failure.

Anyway, the planet isn't anywhere near overpopulated. It is a MYTH!

Now go do your research and prove me wrong, or learn something and have your outlook changed if that's possible.

As far as this current plague, I'm not feeling the panic. The flu will kill more people.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

There have been any number of posts on here about overpopulation being some kind of existential threat, and this newest 'plague' is just nature rebalancing the scales.

But, the earth isn't overpopulated, and the number of people isn't growing exponentially. Not even close. It's another myth that gets peddled and bought into all the time (obviously). Not unlike the climate horror terror apocalypse. Common sense would inform you that for the most part, the planet's land mass is vastly empty. There is lots of good info out there on the topic, I was going to post a couple of links but figured that in light of the 'what is truth' thread....do your own research. Figure it out. There is more food grown than we can eat as a species. If some starve (and not many do anymore despite the heart tug commercials with kids with flies crawling on their faces send money)...it is a political failure, not a crop failure.

Now go do your research and prove me wrong, or learn something and have your outlook changed if that's possible.

As far as this current plague, I'm not feeling the panic. The flu will kill more people.
x2
Old 01-22-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
And if it was a volunteer thingy..... I’d volunteer the overcrowded jails first.
I can think of a few people I would like to volunteer! haha
Old 01-22-2020, 03:21 PM

Many countries of the world are already on a declining population trend if you carve out immigration. It wouldn't take a whole lot to get the remainder over the hump. Basically bring them into the first world financially in their own countries and they will opt for less kids. Nature of the beast. But any time a country starts on the downward trend, like Japan, all we do is talk about the woes to finance if population deflates and then we do our hardest to promote baby making and importing people to prop up that growth model.

Japan is an interesting model however with their resistance to immigration. They haven't been growing and are aging and yet their financial and social systems haven't totally collapsed. Haven't exactly flourished but nothing wrong with some moderation in light of the alternative. Hmmm maybe we can get away from the never ending growth model. Might not be the easiest or most profitable path short term but the over population path isn't going to be easy in the longer term...most are starting to see that light as we get closer to the breaking point.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:

But, the earth isn't overpopulated, and the number of people isn't growing exponentially. Not even close. It's another myth that gets peddled and bought into all the time (obviously). Not unlike the climate horror terror apocalypse. Common sense would inform you that for the most part, the planet's land mass is vastly empty. There is lots of good info out there on the topic, I was going to post a couple of links but figured that in light of the 'what is truth' thread....do your own research. Figure it out. There is more food grown than we can eat as a species. If some starve (and not many do anymore despite the heart tug commercials with kids with flies crawling on their faces and send us your money)...it is a political failure, not a crop failure.

Wait until your fishing on the lake and someone sets up almost right on top of you..... you’ll change your tune....
Old 01-22-2020, 03:30 PM

We all gotta go sometime. I'm good to go and got my ticket punched. Just don't want my kids to go before me.

Our generation has pushed death in the corner and everyone wants to live to 90 or whatever through heroic means if necessary. Our grandparents, and those before, were more used to death. It's a part of life. We all start dying the day we are born.

Now where we are going when we die is a whole other story that people largely do not want to think about, much less discuss
Old 01-22-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
270 confirmed Tues 440 confirmed Wednesday.

From what I have read it says testing is done through DNA to confirm cases. I am wondering what kind of capacity China has to test every person with these symptoms with a population well over 1B.
Using DNA sequencing and testing to find a virus is like looking in your neighbors fridge to try and predict a flat tire on your wife's SUV in a week. One has nothing (directly) to do with another. DNA testing also takes serious time and controlled environments, with highly specialized equipment.

Perhaps you read they are evaluating the RNA of the virus itself to identify/study it - and that too, is very different. That isn't related to infection it related to the construction of the virus itself (kinda/sorta like "the DNA of the virus").

To affirmatively identify the presence of a virus also takes lab work and time. Stuff they won't be able to do at an airport quickly, accurately or efficiently.

What they are, HOWEVER, doing to "screen" for SYMPTOMS that may or may not be directly related to that specific virus. When looking at travellers for potential symptoms, such as elevated temperature and fever, through thermal screening at airports, all they can say is "this person is more likely to have some virus, disease or infection, which may or may not be related to the subject virus" and that's it.

The person might have the common cold and flu, or they can have a bacterial infection causing their temperature to become elevated - it's impossible to tell, and it's difficult to make/take any action until further tests are done.

The only way to positively identify the virus, is to find a virus on an infected person (or find the virus in an unaffected person who is a carrier of the virus that has not yet incubated).

Makes viral outbreaks like these hard to control without employing mitigation protocols (like stopping travel or quarantines, etc).

Last edited by EZM; 01-22-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Granted there is lots of empty space, but most of it is not suitable for habitation. You volunteering to live full time on Baffin Island ? Then, our agricultural production is reaching practical limitations. the Green Revolution bought us some time, but that is running out , chemistry can only go so far. The Ocean fishery is collapsing. So, explain please, how the world is not over populated ???

Grizz
Old 01-22-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Granted there is lots of empty space, but most of it is not suitable for habitation. You volunteering to live full time on Baffin Island ? Then, our agricultural production is reaching practical limitations. the Green Revolution bought us some time, but that is running out , chemistry can only go so far. The Ocean fishery is collapsing. So, explain please, how the world is not over populated ???

Grizz
How many times has anyone on this forum gone hungry because there was no food available for purchase?

If there was no ready made food, were ingredients available?

And I mean any of 10,000 different things to eat in 2 dozen different supermarkets in any major city and half a dozen in any city with 30k people.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Grizz
So did you do any researching whatsoever to find out if the truth is different than what you already think? Because what you just wrote doesn't sound like reality, or that you had your mind opened up to information that would potentially change your view. Every generation before and since JC Water Walker suggested we all be kind to one another has been convinced that the end is nigh-ish.....but here we are, typing away on our smart phones.

Do one simple bit of research, and see how much food goes in the landfill just in North America....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Banned

Wuhan city locked down now.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
So did you do any researching whatsoever to find out if the truth is different than what you already think? Because what you just wrote doesn't sound like reality, or that you had your mind opened up to information that would potentially change your view. Every generation before and since JC Water Walker suggested we all be kind to one another has been convinced that the end is nigh-ish.....but here we are, typing away on our smart phones.

Do one simple bit of research, and see how much food goes in the landfill just in North America....
I don't have to do constant research because I keep abreast of current events. Food waste has nothing to do with the overall picture. We're the Privileged Few.

Grizz
Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Just discovered "Pandemic" on Netflix. Pretty interesting stuff all related to this topic.
Watching it now. Good documentary

Dodger
Old 01-22-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post

Dodger
Another quick watch on Netflix is Explained, season 2, episode 7. It talks in particular about the origin in China of this outbreak. The exact meat market where these things tend to start and this one started.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I don't have to do constant research because I keep abreast of current events. Food waste has nothing to do with the overall picture. We're the Privileged Few.

Grizz
So, that would be a No, you didn't do any research to try and discern if the world is actually overpopulated or not. It's ok, most people don't, they just believe it's a fact.

Apologies for the derail, will leave it at that.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-22-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:24 PM

While there are indications that Chinese authorities are ready to ramp up controls on travel -- including ordering that all trips to Wuhan be canceled and refunded -- it remains to be seen whether the virus, already reported in around a dozen locations, can be reined in before the Lunar New Year travel period truly kicks in.
The largest annual human migration on Earth, hundreds of millions of people will travel across China and overseas during the four-week period, which began in mid-January and continues until February. Many will go by train or plane, raising the risk of infection as they are put in close contact with other travelers.

There are confirmed cases in the US now too.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post

Dodger

Also a decent movie on this exact scenario that’s on Netflix. Contagion it was called I believe.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM

I find it hard to believe that the public still falls for this kind of junk. It's almost predictable when these big stories show up. This is how the WHO, CDC, and others make money through media hype.
SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, Zika....all these were gonna wipe out huge populations....never happened. Just another non-story to get billions of "government" dollars for Big Pharma.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
I find it hard to believe that the public still falls for this kind of junk. It's almost predictable when these big stories show up. This is how the WHO, CDC, and others make money through media hype.
SARS, Ebola, Bird Flu, Zika....all these were gonna wipe out huge populations....never happened. Just another non-story to get billions of "government" dollars for Big Pharma.
Yes, same as all that Polio and mumps propaganda they were pushing years ago. Just filling pockets.

I get that these things often seem blown out of proportion and this probably won't be "the one" but everyone were to pretend nothing was happening, well that's how it could become big. I do think ebola would have been a lot worse if the quarantines and controls were not implemented.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 PM

its not natural for so many people to live so close together.

Its no accident that most pandemics start in Asia.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Banned

My tin foil hat is secured...Perhaps the Chinese Government unleashed this bio-catastrophe to QUELL the riots??