Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
well let's let it play out over the next few weeks and see what happens.

They better get a handle on this.
It is China so I doubt any numbers reported are correct. At least they are being more open this time than they were with the SARS outbreak.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
This!
great idea eh!
Old 01-21-2020, 01:18 PM

Default SARS last time

When the WHO showed up to inspect the hospitals in China the commies loaded the sick and dying on buses and did laps around the city until the inspectors left.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM

BBC news said one health worker thinks around 1700 cases is more accurate, just a theory and could be wrong, but you can bet in such a massive population they found all 300,impossible so there's way more. will wait and see .

The whole world is watching.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
When sars started in 2003 only then did they shut down the airlines it reached other parts of the world.

JD
There were no airline shutdowns during the SARS event, only travel advisories & warnings.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
There were no airline shutdowns during the SARS event, only travel advisories & warnings.
Cathy Pacific shut down 50 percent of there airlines, there stock went from 17 bucks to 7.50 per share and I know that many of there planes never flew,i could be wrong,but I bought a 1000 units of Cathy Pacific so when the band or advisory was lifted there shares rose back up in no time.I got my info back then from Bloomberg asia after cnbc.

At the peek very few were flights into certain places,a total shut down didn't happen, but very few were traveling.

JD
Old 01-21-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
BBC news said one health worker thinks around 1700 cases is more accurate, just a theory and could be wrong, but you can bet in such a massive population they found all 300,impossible so there's way more. will wait and see .

The whole world is watching.
yep just like mice if you have one there is a hundred
Old 01-21-2020, 01:54 PM

The scary thing about viruses that seem to proliferate so quickly, is that the possibility for mutations also goes up exponentially. Every replication is a chance for a DNA to RNA transcription error, which might make it stronger. This virus at least does not sound as deadly as SARS, so far.....

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-21-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
First American case in Washington state, which is a really weird first place. I don't think there are any Asia-direct flights there, so probably through Seattle I am guessing?

I love epidemiology, but pandemics were more interesting before I became a paramedic.
Last time I looked Seattle is in Washington state.

And there are direct flights from China and Korea to Sea-Tac.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:39 PM

More people die every day from Flu and influenza world wide, on average 400,000 a year, than are being affected by the new "Plaque". The media LOVEs to sensationalise these things. Even SARs, which was in the news endlessly and still is despite it being 17 years later, only killed about 900 people world wide. It was over 10% of those confirmed as infected, though infection rates are not very accurate. In the overall scheme of stuff that kills people, it isn't even a ripple.

Didn't stop the media from making it into a world killer Pandemic, followed by Avian Flu, then the Pig Virus. This is just the latest click bait..
Old 01-21-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
More people die every day from Flu and influenza world wide, on average 400,000 a year, than are being affected by the new "Plaque". The media LOVEs to sensationalise these things. Even SARs, which was in the news endlessly and still is despite it being 17 years later, only killed about 900 people world wide. It was over 10% of those confirmed as infected, though infection rates are not very accurate. In the overall scheme of stuff that kills people, it isn't even a ripple.

Didn't stop the media from making it into a world killer Pandemic, followed by Avian Flu, then the Pig Virus. This is just the latest click bait..
Sure hope so

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-21-2020, 04:07 PM

People that die from the flu is like 0.1%, chance to die from SARS was around 10%. The only reason the flu kills more people is it affects millions of people yearly. Hopefully this doesn't transfer wildly or it could be quite deadly. Time will tell in the next couple months. So far 6/300 have died or 2% of those infected.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:28 PM

Stop all incoming flights from china. As of now incoming passengers can voluntarily submit to testing in Canada, ya think it would be mandatory. Oh yeah while your at it throw meng wazou in a real jail. God how I HATE china. (rant over)
Old 01-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Stop all incoming flights from china. As of now incoming passengers can voluntarily submit to testing in Canada, ya think it would be mandatory. Oh yeah while your at it throw meng wazou in a real jail. God how I HATE china. (rant over)
I agree with u there. We should have stopped all travel from China once they started in on the Meng retaliation crap. I also agree they should throw her butt in a real jail unless the Chinese give the Canadians they are holding the same conditions she gets to have now.
Problem is Sparkle socks doesn't have the stones to play hardball.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
People that die from the flu is like 0.1%, chance to die from SARS was around 10%. The only reason the flu kills more people is it affects millions of people yearly. Hopefully this doesn't transfer wildly or it could be quite deadly. Time will tell in the next couple months. So far 6/300 have died or 2% of those infected.

Sure seems to be spreading easily so far with cases popping up in several geographic areas already.

The flu of 1968 had a mortality of .5% yet still killed an estimated 1 million. The 1956 flu killed 2 million, and the 1918 flu killed a whopping 20-50 million. Hopefully it's like Dean says and doesn't amount to much death wise. The possibility certainly exists for it to turn into a real nightmare however.

Economically it has a fairly strong probability of causing significant damage and contribute to a real global slowdown.

https://www.mphonline.org/worst-pandemics-in-history/
Old 01-21-2020, 05:09 PM

I stopped calling it "China"

I now refer to it as "The Factory"

Make everything from rubber dog poop to deadly viruses

Im thinking the great wall of china needs to be a lot higher.....
Old 01-21-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I was signed up to go in September. They couldn't find enough people willing to go, so they cancelled the tour. Told my kids to watch for me on TV, I'll be the one smiling and waving the hand cuffs.

Grizz
My client wants to visit our mills which is not a problem but he may have to wait until things look better on this.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:40 PM

If this isn't a big one, hopefully not, I am quite convinced it is only a matter of time until we will see one in our lifetime. Especially if some looney-toon country opens Pandoras box, with something genetically engineered to be super lethal and contagious
Old 01-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

People too. Have you heard of CRISPR?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
If this gains ground we may all go out with a whimper.

And I had such a good day today.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/healt...hnk/index.html
Sounding like waldorp and statler ( whomever they are )

World never came to an end with SARS.

More worried about losing my power/gas when its 40 below.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

You are correct Randy.... It's too late we are screwed. The big red machine is The Factory .

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 PM

Default think

Princess Auto
Old 01-21-2020, 07:00 PM

Im not to worried about it. Sounds like it mostly effects the usual demographics with weakened immune systems. A real plague virus kills mostly middle aged healthy individuals. You see one of those viruses develop, head for the hills.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Sure seems to be spreading easily so far with cases popping up in several geographic areas already.

The flu of 1968 had a mortality of .5% yet still killed an estimated 1 million. The 1956 flu killed 2 million, and the 1918 flu killed a whopping 20-50 million. Hopefully it's like Dean says and doesn't amount to much death wise. The possibility certainly exists for it to turn into a real nightmare however.

Economically it has a fairly strong probability of causing significant damage and contribute to a real global slowdown.

https://www.mphonline.org/worst-pandemics-in-history/
Common denominator so far seems to be everyone visited the same city. Trouble is symptoms don’t show up and they can be contagious. Hopefully it is no big deal but people are dying which would say otherwise. Spreading quickly so far and high mortality rate. Hopefully it is just because they are watching for it rather than seeing more people infected.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Im not to worried about it. Sounds like it mostly effects the usual demographics with weakened immune systems. A real plague virus kills mostly middle aged healthy individuals. You see one of those viruses develop, head for the hills.
You must not have children or elderly family members. Someone is losing a loved one. Why no compassion?
Old 01-21-2020, 07:06 PM

Old, weak, compromised were the first to succumb to the SARS outbreak. Be interesting to see the breakdown on current fatalities.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 01-21-2020, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
You must not have children or elderly family members. Someone is losing a loved one. Why no compassion?
Compassion got the world into the mess we call today. Always bleeding hearts imo
Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
Compassion got the world into the mess we call today. Always bleeding hearts imo
So if you lose a loved one we should all say oh well that’s life? Been a lot of people on this site lose people they love or animals they love. It’s no big deal until it happens to you. Even if someone is old doesn’t mean death is easy. Still a parent or grandparent or spouse or family member. Should we do away with all medicine then and let nature do its thing?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 PM

New update. So far 9 deaths, 440 confirmed cases.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
Humanity and compassion is what made the world a great place.

Rampant Entitlement, stereotyping, reverse discrimination, and cheaters are destroying the world today...

Dont let frustrations with complex problems ruin your character, then you too become entitled.