Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Default prions killed by bleach

https://www.wpr.org/study-bleach-dea...metal-surfaces
Old 10-11-2019, 09:27 AM

Read the article very carefully. Tools and surfaces have to be clean of any meat particles to be effective.

Good news for game processing, but rigorous cleaning required.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 AM

The article suggests disposing of tissue removed from tools and equipment according to "local government guidelines". Does anyone know what these are in Alberta?

Assuming that we treat a carcass as potentially CWD positive until test results are received, I think this means that it is not good enough to rinse or wash knives, saws, meat grinders and so on. Tissue from these items must be collected and saved for proper disposal before soaking the equipment for 5 minutes in a 40% bleach solution.

I realize this is an extreme position, particularly since CWD has never been shown to infect humans. However, this seems to be what we would have to do to rigorously apply the findings of these authors. Am I wrong?

If CWD prions ever do jump the species barrier to humans, I see no option but to stop hunting cervids in Canada.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 AM

I'm rather stunned that researchers have not done this testing before....

While it is good news that bleach can deteriorate these prions, the practical applications for hunters and processors is almost irrelevant.

You may be able to destroy free prions from some tool materials using a 40% bleach soaking, but this does nothing for protection from contamination directly from the prion infected animal.

Hopefully this newfound information can open some new insights that may prove fruitful. Maybe one part of a 1000 piece puzzle.

I can see it now.
Bambi and bleach stew. Bleached Buck in Rut pee.
Drive through Bleach truck wash....

Time to invest in Clorox.

The full study paper.
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0223659

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
The article suggests disposing of tissue removed from tools and equipment according to "local government guidelines". Does anyone know what these are in Alberta?

Assuming that we treat a carcass as potentially CWD positive until test results are received, I think this means that it is not good enough to rinse or wash knives, saws, meat grinders and so on. Tissue from these items must be collected and saved for proper disposal before soaking the equipment for 5 minutes in a 40% bleach solution.

I realize this is an extreme position, particularly since CWD has never been shown to infect humans. However, this seems to be what we would have to do to rigorously apply the findings of these authors. Am I wrong?

If CWD prions ever do jump the species barrier to humans, I see no option but to stop hunting cervids in Canada.

If the species barrier is broken, the Feds (Canada and US) will implement a complete extermination of possible CWD carriers. There won't be any deer or elk to hunt. With CWD being known to be uptaken by agricultural plants, the only way to protect people and the economy would be to get rid of ALL the deer and elk. This plan has long been discussed by the CDC.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 AM

I think there is an implicit assumption that carcass processing will be done wearing long gloves with disposable coveralls and booties. If the animal does have CWD the site will be contaminated wherever tissues or fluids are deposited. If the carcass is transported whole, it seems to me that it should be securely wrapped in something like plastic and the processing area similarly protected from contamination.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:58 PM

I'm rather stunned that researchers have not done this testing before..

I'm betting they have and discounted it. You can find a study to support about anything you like. Prions are basically non animate objects, no sure way to do them in I've heard before.

Grizz
Old 10-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Aren’t we still wondering if it transmits to humans?

-Billy Molls
Old 10-12-2019, 10:30 AM

When Mad cow outbreak occured in UK their was also major increase in number of Jacobson cases. A prion is a prion regardless of the name given.
I am sure many deaths diagnosed as dementia were actually prion disease.
Biotec companys always use strong bleach to kill the bugs they grow in their fermenters and other equipment.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:53 AM

I bleached my nice camo handled gutting knife last year. The only "visible" difference I noticed was it turned my brown camo handle to more of a pink camo handle. I might have to get the boss to carry it for me and pretend it's hers.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:52 PM

FYI it can’t be killed as it isn’t alive. It’s not a virus, it’s not a bacteria, it’s not an organism. It’s just a protein (matter).