Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Last Flames game still on YouTube

It’s worth a watch ..... heh!
LOL...I believe the last one was on Facebook...Vancouver game was on youtube....Get it together Bessie
Old 09-22-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Game

Looks like it’s on NHL 9 on Bell
Old 09-22-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
LOL...I believe the last one was on Facebook...Vancouver game was on youtube....Get it together Bessie
Pre season man..... imma tryin.. lil rusty....

Shoulda trained more...
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 PM

Talbot true to form.... first shots a goal...lol.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Talbot true to form.... first shots a goal...lol.
Smith is to, unfortunately for you guys. Have you noticed he hasn't played a single preseason game yet....
Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Smith is to, unfortunately for you guys. Have you noticed he hasn't played a single preseason game yet....
Why would he? Clubs are letting the young bucks play. Seeing what they got and how they perform with a bit more pressure than they are used to.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Pre season man..... imma tryin.. lil rusty....

Shoulda trained more...
HAHA...
Old 09-22-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
No they should have left the money in my pocket. I don't like subsidizing other people's entertainment, nobody subsidizes my hunting and fishing nor should they. The new library was another colossal waste of money. Now what was wrong with the dome? I believe this new rink will have fewer seats to boot.
Subsidizing a business where the employees (players n coaches) are millionaires is absolute stupidity .betman should build his own arena if it's such a good idea. Love hockey but the NHL management is crony capitalists. Give them the boot .
Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Why would he? Clubs are letting the young bucks play. Seeing what they got and how they perform with a bit more pressure than they are used to.
Cause he's old and busted and needs to get the rust off. Seeing as Lehner, Gibson, Rinne, Fleury, Jones, Bishop, Anderson, Binnington, Quick, Price, Mrazek, Halak, etc. have all played, I doubt thats the case. If that's the reason, odd that he isn't practicing either.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
Subsidizing a business where the employees (players n coaches) are millionaires is absolute stupidity .betman should build his own arena if it's such a good idea. Love hockey but the NHL management is crony capitalists. Give them the boot .
Other events take place in a stadium as well. Events draw people to town. Those people rent hotels, use taxis, rent cars, dine, and do many other things while in town giving the community a good little economic boost. It benefits everyone.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Other events take place in a stadium as well. Events draw people to town. Those people rent hotels, use taxis, rent cars, dine, and do many other things while in town giving the community a good little economic boost. It benefits everyone.
And if the buggers could ever make it past the 1st round and go deep, it rallies the community, brings people together, shines the North American sports spotlight on the community for a bit, etc. It's hard to put a price on that, but it's definitely good for the community.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
If true ? Then berman would be all over building his own stadium ! He's not stupid . Crony capitalist ! I am sure if the flames left those that come to see a game rent a room have a dinner and such would still do that . Just be a different attraction other than the NHL.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
If true ? Then berman would be all over building his own stadium ! He's not stupid . Crony capitalist ! I am sure if the flames left those that come to see a game rent a room have a dinner and such would still do that . Just be a different attraction other than the NHL.
Why are you talking about Bettman? You really think it's reasonable that the league would build a new rink in Calgary? And I can see how people renting cabs, dining, staying in hotels, etc. benefits the city, but how in the world does it benefit the league?

Maybe thats how you operate, but its now how I operate. I don't say to myself, I'm heading to Calgary in January to spend some money, now what do they having going on? It's more so, ahh, Pittsburgh is coming to town in January, think I'll go catch a game.

Last edited by Trochu; 09-22-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 PM

What you mean other events use places like the Saddledome and Rodgers place? No it's only a BIG hockey rink. That's it. Only the Flames use it. I won't even try and explain the benefits to people like this. Flames and Bettman should build their own rink. LOL so don't go to a game please just stay home. Don't go to a concert or PBR ect. Stay home

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 07:29 AM

Watched most of the game last night and thought Talbot played pretty good. All goals were tipped and two of them were big re directs. Put the full team in front of him and we will see how it goes.
Will be interesting to see how Smith does , heard he is sick with the flu? Likely an excuse to not embarrass himself straight away.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:49 AM

Pneumonia.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
What you mean other events use places like the Saddledome and Rodgers place? No it's only a BIG hockey rink. That's it. Only the Flames use it. I won't even try and explain the benefits to people like this. Flames and Bettman should build their own rink. LOL so don't go to a game please just stay home. Don't go to a concert or PBR ect. Stay home

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Not sure where you get "stay home then"

I am saying if a new arena was successfull investment then the NHL would build one and rent it out . But it's not. It's a horrible investment . The NHL is taking advantage of our pride to capitalize. Fact we are subsidizing a company where the employees are millionaires !
Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

I am saying if a new arena was successfull investment then the NHL would build one and rent it out . But it's not. It's a horrible investment . The NHL is taking advantage of our pride to capitalize. Fact we are subsidizing a company where the employees are millionaires !
When you say "NHL", what do you mean? Do you mean the league and/or league office? If so, please explain with specifics how it benefits from a new building in Calgary. If you mean the team owners, that's a different story, but the owners of the team are not the "NHL".
Old 09-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
When you say "NHL", what do you mean? Do you mean the league and/or league office? If so, please explain with specifics how it benefits from a new building in Calgary. If you mean the team owners, that's a different story, but the owners of the team are not the "NHL".
You are correct . My point is taxpayers should not be subsidizing millionaires . Owners and NHL same bed fellows . Today they want a 1 $ tomorrow 1000$. Cheers
Old 09-23-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:

It's not a successful investment for the NHL, it can be a successful investment for the team owners and city. It's easy to look at these things from a biased viewpoint. I can take your exact argument and say a millionaire is helping the city build a building whose annual budget is approx. $4.1 billion. We are talking 6% of the annual budget....
Old 09-23-2019, 12:36 PM

I dont feel biased is fair . I really enjoy nhl hockey. Very proud that Alberta has two teams . The fact is players, coaches , owners , and league administers ( bettman) are wealthy to a degree that they should not be subsidized by taxpayers. If an arena was profitable tax payer money should not be required! Nothing wrong with the Saddledome or northlands Coliseum . Just dated .
Old 09-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I dont feel biased is fair . I really enjoy nhl hockey. Very proud that Alberta has two teams . The fact is players, coaches , owners , and league administers ( bettman) are wealthy to a degree that they should not be subsidized by taxpayers. If an arena was profitable tax payer money should not be required! Nothing wrong with the Saddledome or northlands Coliseum . Just dated .
If you're going to say "the fact is" you need to quit lumping every aspect of the NHL as receiving a subsidy from tax payers. You can make a case for the owners, although the cost benefit analysis could be disputed, but for the rest, you are out of line with a statement of facts.

Taking your broad brush you could say the person working concessions is being subsidized by taxpayers because they have a job during the 40+ home games. The sports reporters are also subsidized then, because they make a living off of the team to a certain extent also. If the team were to leave there would be job losses in those two groups and many more.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
If you're going to say "the fact is" you need to quit lumping every aspect of the NHL as receiving a subsidy from tax payers. You can make a case for the owners, although the cost benefit analysis could be disputed, but for the rest, you are out of line with a statement of facts.

Taking your broad brush you could say the person working concessions is being subsidized by taxpayers because they have a job during the 40+ home games. The sports reporters are also subsidized then, because they make a living off of the team to a certain extent also. If the team were to leave there would be job losses in those two groups and many more.
That in my opinion is slanted and biased . Cut hockey players earning s and buy their own arena ?
Old 09-23-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
That in my opinion is slanted and biased . Cut hockey players earning s and buy their own arena ?
Lockout.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:

By stay at home, I am saying a good portion of the project is user pays.. Extra fee on parking, ticket sales on ALL events not just hockey. You don't support the arena Stay home and don't use it.
Not sure if you heard but the hockey team did put up a good chunk, as well as the Stampede. The city weather you want to say it or not does benefit from events in said building, so they ( Tax payers ) put in as well.
What is a Good investment? How much $$ is the tax paid Library bringing into the city per year??
Would like to hear how you charge a hockey player, who only lives here during the season, and that can be traded anytime a fee for buying the city a entertainment venue.
Anyways can't wait to party it up in the new place. Hope it's state of the art.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Some people it takes 9 years to figure it out, it only takes others 8 games....

MacTavish Fired after just Eight KHL Games
Old 09-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Why the heck isn't Chuckie signed yet?????? After the Pointe contract I would think the Flames GM would be rushing to sign him before another crazy Marner contract comes out. Unless of course Chuckie thinks he is better that Pointe and deserve Marner money.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Some people it takes 9 years to figure it out, it only takes others 8 games....

MacTavish Fired after just Eight KHL Games
Isn't this the Flames thread?
Old 09-24-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Why the heck isn't Chuckie signed yet?????? After the Pointe contract I would think the Flames GM would be rushing to sign him before another crazy Marner contract comes out. Unless of course Chuckie thinks he is better that Pointe and deserve Marner money.
I have a suspicious feeling that Chucky thinks he should be getting more money that everyone else thinks he should be getting.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Isn't this the Flames thread?
It is, but seeing as there is no KHL thread, I just thought I'd drop it here.

Last edited by Trochu; 09-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.